• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Apocalyptic GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely wanna watch it now :) but why the warning?
Is it bad or REALLY bleak or something? (if it's possible to explain without spoiling it)

Yeah, possibly the bleakest, most heartbreaking film about nuclear war ever.
As I say, I saw it as a kid, and some of the scenes it have never left me til this day..
edit

as far as I remember, I think the whole movie is on youtube

Karak

Not as current as most but the Ashes Series is incredible. The author wrote 35 books in just that one series and over 350 total.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_W._Johnstone#The_Ashes_series
You have to understand the books are a bit shorter so seeing 35 books in the series can be insane but say 2-3 of his books equal 1 normal book. so there are maybe 10-12 novel sized amounts of reading. Awesome story.

The Jerusalem Man Series by David Gemmel.
images

3 books are after an apocalypse.

I did actually like the Word and the Void series from Terry Brooks but its post apoc + Fantasy like David Gemmels work so its for fans of the Stand and that kind of thing.

Also Swan Song.
Could be called post-apoc horror.
200px-Swan_song_cover.jpg

TV Show recommendation - Jericho. It's very good. If you can overlook some things, like stupid goverment conspiracy, you get good show with amazing characters and atmosphere.
Highly recommended.
The storyline centers on the residents of Jericho, a small northwest Kansas town, in the aftermath of nuclear attacks on 23 major cities in the contiguous United States.
jericho.jpg

Binabik15

All I know is that Ultraviolet DL codes will be the real postapocalyptic currency. They're everywhere and nobody uses them.

Karak

TV Show recommendation - Jericho. It's very good. If you can overlook some things, like stupid goverment conspiracy, you get good show with amazing characters and atmosphere.
Highly recommended.

jericho.jpg

I didn't put it because I thought this was just about books but that would be my first suggestion if this is all encompassing which it is now that I read closer. I loved the overarching government story only because, if it had continued, it was supposed to develop into a second civil war which would have been insanely interesting especially some of the ideas the writers had for the new North versus South war.

For post/apoc music check out Pink World by Planet P Project. A record/cd that follows the Swan Song book strangely closely and reminds me of the older story music albums like Operation Mindcrime. Very interesting.

huxley00

Hugh Howey's Wool is pretty awesome.

I read it, I didn't put it on my list because

The story in the bunker was cool, the mystery behind sending people out into the world was very interesting, I really liked the overseer angle, really intriguing. The only problem I have is with the background story of how these things were built and the motivation for building them. Some republicans decide to start a nuclear war and spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a dozen or so secret, huge underground bunkers? I don't think so, I can't even suspend my belief enough to consider the notion which ruined the series for me.

Roubjon

I read it, I didn't put it on my list because

The story in the bunker was cool, the mystery behind sending people out into the world was very interesting, I really liked the overseer angle, really intriguing. The only problem I have is with the background story of how these things were built and the motivation for building them. Some republicans decide to start a nuclear war and spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a dozen or so secret, huge underground bunkers? I don't think so, I can't even suspend my belief enough to consider the notion which ruined the series for me.

I can understand that. T
he set up and mystery before the background story was introduced made reading the series worth it for me though.

huxley00

I can understand that. T
he set up and mystery before the background story was introduced made reading the series worth it for me though.

I agree, I don't regret reading it and if there are more books, its very possible that I may check them out as the core concepts are still pretty interesting (coming from a huge Fallout fan).

besada

Banned
I will now post what I have posted in all of the post-apocalyptic threads we've had:

Warday by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka
d1lslC5.jpg

Warday is a novel by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka, first published in 1984. It is an account of the authors traveling across America five years after a limited nuclear attack in order to assess how the nation had changed after the war. The novel takes the form of a research article and is written in first-person narrative form. It includes mock government documents and interviews with individuals regarding the events and aftermath of the war.

If you've ever read Studs Terkel's oral histories (or just read a pastiche of them, like world War Z) you'll recognize the style.

huxley00

To change things up a bit, I'd be interested in books that people didn't care for at all, I'll list a few of my own

1. Feed

2A69Z58.jpg

I read through most of this story, it just really never grabbed me. A lot of teen angst type stuff, kids are smarter than adults, all military people are bad, kids are smarter than adults....all while trying to add modern day twitter jargon, not for me. I can understand why some people like it, it was fairly well written I just didn't care for it at all.

2. Day By Day Armaggedon

ZnIM0NCl.jpg

This book was written by a soldier, from a soldiers perspective. I guess I just found that it was kind of boring, poorly paced and just not that well written. I know some people love it, would like to hear your perspectives.

huxley00

I will now post what I have posted in all of the post-apocalyptic threads we've had:

d1lslC5.jpg

If you've ever read Studs Terkel's oral histories (or just read a pastiche of them, like world War Z) you'll recognize the style.

I've never heard of this before, sounds very interesting, definitely going to check it out.

I'm actually writing something myself, screenwriting though.
It's in Italian but I may try to translate it if some of you is interested. Wrote 4 episodes so far, totaling around 200 pages.
It's probably shit but who cares having fun.
I want to restart and change a few things though.

huxley00

Good thread, I'll check some of these out.
I've read Oryx and Crake, was great.

It turned me into a bit of a Margaret Atwood fan, she is very intelligent and writes quite well. I would recommend checking out some of her other works.

huxley00

Aβydoς;127465694 said:
I'm actually writing something myself, screenwriting though.
It's in Italian but I may try to translate it if some of you is interested. Wrote 4 episodes so far, totaling around 200 pages.
It's probably shit but who cares having fun.
I want to restart and change a few things though.

Creating anything is such a huge accomplishment, good, bad, you still did something to be proud of.

Tooth & Nail
51pDjH9eoWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Essentially zombie apocalypse meets Black Hawk Down, on-the-ground soldier perspective of an outbreak in Manhattan. One unit and their struggle

Run
run.jpg

Something happens. People start killing each other. One family struggling to survive and escape in a world where they're being hunted. Some incredibly intense moments

Soft Apocalypse
10075553.jpg

Think the first Mad Max. The world is right at the edge of collapse, ending with a slow extended whimper rather than a bang.

The Hater trilogy (Hater, Dog Blood, Them or Us)
hater.jpg

Similar to Run, something's happening that's changing people, making them violent. The world falls apart. Has a really cool twist of your usual zombie-esque novels

huxley00

d1lslC5.jpg

Total bummer, book seems to be out of print and no e-book format :(

Gawge

The Girl with all the Gifts

Finished this yesterday, it is excellent.

17235026.jpg

Not marketed as apocalyptic (I know a few people who have read it, who wouldn't have done with a more honest description, but loved it).

huxley00

The Girl with all the Gifts

Finished this yesterday, it is excellent.

17235026.jpg

Not marketed as apocalyptic (I know a few people who have read it, who wouldn't have done with a more honest description, but loved it).

Could you describe a bit about why you liked it so much?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Has anyone here read The Chrysalids by John Wyndham? I had to read it once in school. It's a post-apocalyptic coming-of-age story with
telepaths and spider-guys.
The ending is pretty good when you realise that
there's really no difference between the bigots they escaped from and the utopian society they are going to (at least, that's how I interpreted it, kind of like Magneto and mutant haters in Marvel).

Kylarean

Cool. Some more books to read.

I really like The Passage trilogy (third book releasing this year) by Justin Cronin.

Javaman

I really enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer. It's about a comet thats headed to Earth and the aftermath of it's destruction. What i found really interesting was the time period it was written in. They used a Saturn rocket and capsule to send astronauts to investigate it!

huxley00

I really enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer. It's about a comet thats headed to Earth and the aftermath of it's destruction. What i found really interesting was the time period it was written in. They used a Saturn rocket and capsule to send astronauts to investigate it!
I've read a lot of Larry Niven, he always has fun scientific ideas, really enjoyed that book as well!

Cloudy

Banned
Probably my favorite setting. Really love The Walking Dead, The Last of Us and stuff like that. Will be watching this thread closely

besada

Banned
I've read a lot of Larry Niven, he always has fun scientific ideas, really enjoyed that book as well!
Have you read Greg Bear's Forge of God? It's my favorite "world destruction" novel, which makes it technically jot post-apocalyptic.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Reading Brave New World for the first time. I like it so far, but i dont love it. Will finsh soon

I one-hundred-thousand percent recomend 'The Road' to anyone here.
Read it it one night and i loved it.

huxley00

Reading Brave New World for the first time. I like it so far, but i dont love it. Will finsh soon

I one-hundred-thousand percent recomend 'The Road' to anyone here.
Read it it one night and i loved it.
The last 30 pages make the novel, trust me.

Edit: I'd really recommend you read more Cormac McCarthy, he has some really excellent and interesting novels.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Has anyone here read The Chrysalids by John Wyndham? I had to read it once in school. It's a post-apocalyptic coming-of-age story with
telepaths and spider-guys.
The ending is pretty good when you realise that
there's really no difference between the bigots they escaped from and the utopian society they are going to (at least, that's how I interpreted it, kind of like Magneto and mutant haters in Marvel).
I just read it last week and thought it was great. I also interpreted the ending similarly to you.

Gawge

Could you describe a bit about why you liked it so much?

Okay, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I mean, the book is marketed as a "Thriller" and that's about it. I was actually recommended it by somebody who would have never read it if they knew it was apocalyptic etc... But it really is an excellent book.

There will be far better reviews than this (I think that one has been linked). BUT in many ways it is a classic zombie world (a bit Walking Dead / 28 Days / Last of Us) - but with a really different and cool way of looking at that world. You have many standard familiar zombie tropes (which is all good), but at the same time, the characters and moral elements in the story really elevate this into something special .

But, yeah, I don't want to spoil anything, i'd just fully recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom