• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-football season blues.... aka the yearly, what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<sigh> As a co-worked just reminded me this morning(THANKS ALOT), no more football.... <sigh> what am I going to do on Sundays?!??!?! No more NFL Sunday Ticket....

Maybe I'll try and watch Arena football...

Agreed. I hate this time of year. Now without the NHL, what else is there? The NBA? ugh.

At least pitchers and catchers report in 2 weeks... :)

btrboyev

thank god no more football...it really does et tiresome and now you guys have an excuse to bitch about something else till baseball starts up at least.

Team Rancid said:
At least pitchers and catchers report in 2 weeks...

Heh, since the conference championships I've been looking forward to that more than the Super Bowl. I dislike Phillly teams, and can't stand the Patriots.

Plus, I'm a Dolphins fan, so the offseason will actually be more enjoyable. Let the Saban era begin! He's already off to a good start with the coach hirings.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Um. Now it's time to get overexcited over MOCK DRAFTS! Woo!

For the record, the Jaguars are going to draft a REALLY COOL COLLEGE PLAYER who I know NOTHING ABOUT but SOME GUY ON A MESSAGE BOARD said he saw him once and he was REALLY GOOD.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
iapetus said:

For the record, the Jaguars are going to draft a REALLY COOL COLLEGE PLAYER who I know NOTHING ABOUT but SOME GUY ON A MESSAGE BOARD said he saw him once and he was REALLY GOOD.

Well, since they desperately need a defensive end, it's likely that they'll go there in the first round. With four likely round 1 prospects at defensive end, it depends somewhat on the pre-draft workouts and where other teams go, but I'd say Marcus Spears out of LSU or David Pollack (Georgia) might be likely.

Some people have been excited about mock drafts for quite some time already.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The NBA should pay me to watch their watered down version of basketball. Best players in the world or not he NBA game is just boring.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Cloudy said:
Get NBA League pass for half price. It's fantastic :)

Zero chance of that.... I wouldn't pay for the NBA League pass to save various family members lives....

SickBoy

I can't comprehend how baseball is being pitched as an alternative to football :(

I might try to catch some arena ball (sad but true). Maybe even lacrosse. I don't know.

CFL preseason is only a few months away. At least that'll tide me over until the NFL starts.

As for basketball, I'm in the camp that I'm really not all that interested in it any more. Nowadays I'll check out the box scores for teams I like or watch highlights when I see'em, but that's about it. I also take a look at the big picture once every week or two, just to see how the Lakers are doing without Shaq (and how the Heat are doing -- ha ha Lakers ;).

baseball doesn't get hot until July/August though. I guess now i'll have my weekends free to catch up on all those DVDs and videogames that have been sitting on the shelves the last 5 months.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I'll watch the Super Bowl a couple more times, then turn my attention to NBA then College Football won't be that far behind.

mCACGj

This certainly hurts. I can barely watch television without seeing the Eagles highlights. It's sick cause I know they should have won...but eh. Go Phillies(and damn hockey not being played)!

Iceman

petco-park-1024.jpg

bionic77

DarienA said:
<sigh> As a co-worked just reminded me this morning(THANKS ALOT), no more football.... <sigh> what am I going to do on Sundays?!??!?! No more NFL Sunday Ticket....

I will spend the next 7 months trying to frame that villain Tom Brady.

Shinobi

iapetus said:

:lol :lol :lol

As a sports fan with varied tastes, I'm never out of options. Take auto racing...I watched some of the 24 hours of Daytona over the weekend, WRC's already started up,F1 gets going in March, plus there's Moto GP and Champ Car on the horizon. And while I'm not a NASCAR fan, I do like to watch the Daytona 500 and a few other events, which takes place in two weeks.

Soccer really gets hot now. World Cup qualifying matches, leagues going into the stretch run, FA Cup matches to be played, Champions League gets into high gear. If you're a soccer fan, you're living in heaven.

Baseball to me doesn't really start until June, but spring training is always a welcome diversion, despite being ridiculously overrated and drawn out.

The NBA is fine with me...Raps playing exciting ball, Spurs still one of the teams to beat, my boy VC seems to be back on form, and the all star weekend (my favourite of the big four) gets going in a couple of weeks, before heading into the stretch run and the playoffs.

And March Madness is less then two months away...really, what more needs to be said?

Frankly I don't know how one sports people survive with those off-seasons...for me it's never ending.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Archaix said:
Well, since they desperately need a defensive end, it's likely that they'll go there in the first round. With four likely round 1 prospects at defensive end, it depends somewhat on the pre-draft workouts and where other teams go, but I'd say Marcus Spears out of LSU or David Pollack (Georgia) might be likely.

Picking fairly low down means what little quality depth there is at DE this year might be gone by the time we pick, and we do have other needs (a left OT who doesn't moonlight as a turnstile would be good). With the amount of cap room we've got free, one or more of our need positions is going to be filled before we even hit the draft, so that might make a big difference. To be honest, it's hardly worth speculating until we see what happens in free agency. Not that that's going to stop anyone, of course. I was looking around at these things earlier today, and found a 2008 mock draft. I swear...

Shinobi said:
Frankly I don't know how one sports people survive with those off-seasons...for me it's never ending.
While I always have some interest in sports when it comes to playoffs (I watched the NFL playoffs this year, and I watch key NBA playoff series like Lakers vs Kings, if it's compelling, plus golf is fun to flip to inbetween other channels, and the baseball playoffs this year and last were pretty exciting), I consider myself a "one sport guy". Thing is, during summer, there's just more to DO for me (since I don't ski/snowboard), so I'd usually have hockey to keep me entertained during Fall/Winter/Spring (it'd provide me with something to watch in my spare time, a reason to head to the bar with my friends, and evenings well spent at the games themselves with my dad), and then I'd get to play golf (friends) and go biking (self time spent / recreation) to fill that void.

But with no hockey this year, it's been rough. I've often found myself going to Blockbuster 4 times a week. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom