• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post PS2 "nice graphics with low fps" is, IMO, like eating your favorite snack, while at the same time someone is farting in your face...

Psajdak

Banned
I say post PS2, because, well, I can forgive older consoles not always being 60fps, but from PS3 on, it was just...

I still don't consider myself a PC gamer, but I do prefer the way games feel on it, especially because of smoothness, no matter how cliche that sounds.

Hopefully a lot of 30fps garbage from consoles comes to PC, and transforms into the at least 60fps masterpieces.

a great game is a great game whether its 30 or 60 fps, I'm not nit picky. (Although I'm assuming i may be in the minority here, just based on what i read and the general consensus of "gamers" in general)

and for the record, i honestly dont mind 30 fps for single player experiences and I'd actually continue to welcome it with the PS5 especially if it means it will make the graphical jump bigger.

Its completely fine with me, just as 24 fps for Cinema/Films are completely fine with me also

but 60+ fps is absolutely necessary for multiplayer and VR obviously though

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ryse.

Images look fantastic. I dont think the game even ran at 30 fps. And the animations ranged from Good to Janky as Hell.

LordOfChaos

A steady 30fps on a console isn't that dramatic, though anything that dips below it definitely is. 60 does feel better, but I think maybe by way of consoles having less direct input (a joystick is more of an accelerator in a chosen direction, vs more direct aiming with a mouse, for example), it's not quite so noticeable as the difference on PC. But I pretty much won't play a game at 30fps with a mouse on PC, I'll turn things down.

I notice it, don't get me wrong, even mild weakenings of high framerate arguments seem to be taken so harshly, but if a developer chooses to use the 9th gen to go completely bonkers balls out on visuals and simulation at 30fps? Sure, that's their choice and I'd be interested to see what can be done.

Last edited:

DonF

I greatly prefer 60 fps (console peasant) but there is 30 fps games and 30 fps games.
Jankyness, frame pacing and animations are as important.

I love bloodborne, great animations but frame pacing issues hurt the presentation. The animations are so solid though, that the game is still brilliant.

A great example of a good 30 fps game to me is destiny on console. The animations are just sublime. Weighty, punchy, satisfying. Cero frame pacing issues (corrected in the beta)

Amaranty

I greatly prefer 60 fps (console peasant) but there is 30 fps games and 30 fps games.
Jankyness, frame pacing and animations are as important.

I love bloodborne, great animations but frame pacing issues hurt the presentation. The animations are so solid though, that the game is still brilliant.

A great example of a good 30 fps game to me is destiny on console. The animations are just sublime. Weighty, punchy, satisfying. Cero frame pacing issues (corrected in the beta)
You should try playing Destiny 2 on PC if you have the chance. It's a much better experience. Not only is the framerate better but you can also change the field of view. The field of view on consoles is like looking through a toilet paper roll.

sunnysideup

Banned
I dont care about 60fps. I only care that it is stable, without framepacing issues, judder, studder and framedrops.

30 or 60 is fine with me. as long as its 99% stable.

Last edited:
There is a weird difference between some 30fps titles though.

I’m assuming it’s frame pacing or similar but certain 30fps games feel very smooth and play great - Batman Arkham Knight on PS4 being a good example - that played very smoothly.

Others, however are janky shit and unplayable to me.

One of my biggest gripes with FROM is that their titles are my favourite but frame pacing on titles like Bloodbourne is a travesty.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That makes no sense, to have a cut off at PS2.

High frame rates were always important, not just for good visuals but also gameplay. If anything devs seemed more aware of it back then than now.

It's not like PS2 tried to push PS3 visuals therefor naturally it ran worse, lol, graphics were lower tech and framerates just as desirable as ever since the dawn of gaming.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Dude, we had way worse times on consoles than today.
Remember, when PC games where poorly ported to consoles? No? Do some research.
It's a good time to play on consoles now.

Last edited:

stranno

That makes no sense, to have a cut off at PS2.
Yes, even Playstation had some games with high-framerate modes downgrading graphics a bit.

For example the Hi-Fi mode of Gran Turismo, with 60FPS night courses.

Qdd3UDb.gif

60FPS Motorhead, with half of rivals (this is the PAL version, 50FPS).

fLQEmvg.gif

60FPS Colin McRae Rally cheat, lowering the render distance.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No need for the cheats and special modes, it had plenty 60fps games by default. This list seems legit. Saturn stuff too (and a tiny few N64).
And that's the polygonal games, obviously there's a wealth of 2D stuff in 60fps, especially on Saturn (in the 16bit era too, never mind 32bit).

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
If you own a Nintendo 3DS, turning on the 3D mode would literally halve the frame rate in some games.

In slower pace games like Resident Evil: Revelations, it was playable. But when it came to fighting games, I never used it because the dropped frames were so obvious.

But when you had both 60fps + 3D, then it was bliss.

Great gameplay should always come first, just trying to add shinier graphics will quickly age fast. But a game that is 60fps will be playable forever.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
It's not always a game killer. Some of my favorite games run at less than 30fps. Like Star Fox (15fps lol) and Shadow of The Colossus (25fps lol).

Last edited:

Fbh

Even after playing more stuff at 60fps in recent years...... I still don't think 30fps is the end of the world.
Do I prefer 60? Yeah, do I hope next gen has more 60fps games? yeah, are there some genres where I'll always prefer 60FPS over visuals/resolution? yeah, is it jarring to switch right from a 60fps game to a 30fps one? yeah.

But like.... you play a 30fps game for 10-15 minutes and you get used to it.

Ballthyrm

I also can't play Civilization VI if it doesn't run at minimum 240 fps.
I feel like the Devs are draining the life away from me.

What next ? not being able to play Stardew Valley in 4k ?
If each of my game pixel isn't at least 10 pixel wide i will go nuts.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
I dont care about 60fps. I only care that it is stable, without framepacing issues, judder, studder and framedrops.

30 or 60 is fine with me. as long as its 99% stable.
Yea, I'm never really bothered or even notice such things unless it's like R-Tyoe 3 SNES levels of slowdown or something like that.

Paulxo87

PS2 was the king of high fidelity 60fps games.

MGS2, Zone of enders, etc.

That embedded 48GB/s memory was insane for it's time.

RealGassy

Banned
But on consoles you don't see an FPS counter - so yes it's like eating something nice and someone farting in your face - but there's no smell?
It's more like console gamers are accustomed to smell of farts and being farted in the face so that they don't even notice.
Any PC gamer used to fresh air comes in and instantly goes - "what is this horrible putrid smell? What's wrong with you people? How can you take this?"

Last edited:
60fps should be established as the minimum frame rate. After which graphics can continue to improve for the rest of eternity.

30fps is playable but not good enough and shouldn’t be seen as so.

I'm the rare breed of gamer that prefers to play on PC and enjoys high frame rates while simultaneously not being bothered by 30 fps. I'm strange in that regard, I guess.

Thaedolus

15-20FPS most of the time for Shadow of the Colossus.

And, still, it is a surprisingly playable game on Playstation 2.

While I still think the OG SotC was brilliant at the time, the framerate absolutely hindered my enjoyment of actually playing it a lot of the time. It's a prime example of a game where poor performance really does impact the experience and either one of its remakes is a better option. The fact they pulled it off on PS2 is borderline miraculous, but the performance issues were frustrating and apparent out the gate. Same thing for The Last of Us on PS3 IMO.

If you can hold a rock solid and relatively responsive 30FPS, fine, but if that's your target and you're often missing it, you fucked up your priorities.

LordOfChaos

I lived through the N64 days so I ain’t about to bitch about 30 FPS haha.

Imagine if Digital Foundry was popular in the N64 days, when iirc, Majoras Mask was like 12fps in areas, Rogue Squadron etc, and the whole generation was pretty notorious for framerate issues.

The 7th gen occasionally dipped into areas that bad, but a lot were 8th gen backports.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think those numbers are irrelevant, the stuff I look at with classics are good stories, characters etc.

PocoJoe

Banned
I say post PS2, because, well, I can forgive older consoles not always being 60fps, but from PS3 on, it was just...

I still don't consider myself a PC gamer, but I do prefer the way games feel on it, especially because of smoothness, no matter how cliche that sounds.

Hopefully a lot of 30fps garbage from consoles comes to PC, and transforms into the at least 60fps masterpieces.

Truth is, that if someone literally cant play game because of 30fps, they must have some mental/physical issues.

Aka too slow reflexes + inability to adapt to things.

So, it is good that there are PC for less gifted people as not all have high motoric skills/IQ.

30fps is 100% playable so people that claim it is unplayable must be wrong but they dont understand it because of their limits.

60fps is better, true. But it doesnt make 30 "garbage".

Saddest are those that need +100hz to be able to play games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
60FPS is always better but 30 is far from "unplayable", I still pretty much fully enjoy games funning 30FPS no problem.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Framerate (and graphics in general) are near the bottom of my list for what makes a game playable, good, and enjoyable. I never really understood why people can't see past a 30 FPS framerate if the game is solid. You guys are really limiting yourself. There are so many awesome games from the PS1/PS2 era that you're missing out on because they aren't photo-realistic 4k all-sizzle-no-steak experiences.

VertigoOA

Banned
I played God of War at the locked 30. Framerate instability is far more irritating then a game hitting 60fps for two seconds.

Top Bottom