• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post real things that look futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.
brazobionico.gif

What a powerful gif. Seriously.

Is this Hong Kong?

I'm not too sure, to be honest; I found them during one of my daily internet trawls for references and thought they looked neat :/ I think some of the pictures are of Hong Kong though, maybe some of Japan?

The "funny" thing is that biological augmentation, transhumanism, NGOs getting more and more power, increased surveillance, terrorism, and all that (common themes and things in cyberpunk) is also either true already, or getting bigger, or becoming more and more likely.
Unfortunately that shit tends to be, as far as i know, rather dystopic.

All signs point to dystopia with an extreme rich/poor gap.

:/
:)
:(
:(

Parexion

Neo Member
eureka-skydeck-88-280x350.jpg

The Eureka Tower in my home city Melbourne looks more futuristic than the rest of the city, not on Singapore/Dubai levels though! It also has the highest viewing platform in the Southern Hemisphere.

Wichu

Nowadays nobody ever thinks about it, but:
ht3939_02_2x----en.png

This (and other smartphones) are the most ridiculously awesomely futuristic things around. An ordinary citizen can access a system containing the entirety of human knowledge using a device that fits in the palm of the hand, wherever on the planet (OK, not quite true) they are. It's incredible.

The i8 is astonishing in real life. I went to look at one at a dealer last week. They are sold out here until 2016 since BMW only make 500 per year.

Yrael

Where in Dubai is that? I haven't seen it yet.

It hasn't been built yet - it's still a design concept.

Nowadays nobody ever thinks about it, but:

*iphone image*

This (and other smartphones) are the most ridiculously awesomely futuristic things around. An ordinary citizen can access a system containing the entirety of human knowledge using a device that fits in the palm of the hand, wherever on the planet (OK, not quite true) they are. It's incredible.

redditq.jpg

zoukka

The most depressing invention ever.

The National Ignition Facility is a powerful laser-based inertial confinement fusion research device. NIF's mission is to achieve fusion ignition with high energy gain, and to support nuclear weapon maintenance and design by studying the behavior of matter under the conditions found within nuclear weapons (California):

HYBYkTB.jpg

znvFMAr.jpg

The Z machine is the largest X-ray generator in the world and is designed to test materials in conditions of extreme temperature and pressure. The machine gathers data to aid in computer modeling of nuclear weapons and eventual nuclear fusion pulsed power plants (New Mexico):

3s31qi6.jpg

EJbeSWB.jpg

The IceCube Neutrino Observatory is a neutrino telescope with thousands of sensors distributed over a cubic kilometer of volume under the Antarctic ice. IceCube is designed to look for point sources of neutrinos in the TeV range to explore the highest-energy astrophysical processes (Antarctica):

phmwOq2.jpg

gXxIXOB.jpg

8AkNrVw.png

Super-Kamiokande is a neutrino observatory designed to search for proton decay, study solar and atmospheric neutrinos, and keep watch for supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy (Japan):

Ypo22OW.jpg

UZR12hx.jpg

xGX5vTt.jpg

The National Ignition Facility, or NIF, is a powerful laser-based inertial confinement fusion (ICF) research device (California):

HYBYkTB.jpg

znvFMAr.jpg

The Z machine, Z Pulsed Power Facility, is the largest X-ray generator in the world and is designed to test materials in conditions of extreme temperature and pressure (New Mexico):

3s31qi6.jpg

EJbeSWB.jpg

The IceCube Neutrino Observatory (or simply IceCube) is a neutrino telescope constructed at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station with thousands of sensors distributed over a cubic kilometer of volume under the Antarctic ice:

phmwOq2.jpg

gXxIXOB.jpg

8AkNrVw.png

Super-Kamiokande (full name: Super-Kamioka Neutrino Detection Experiment, abbreviated to Super-K or SK) is a neutrino observatory designed to search for proton decay, study solar and atmospheric neutrinos, and keep watch for supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy (Japan):

Ypo22OW.jpg

UZR12hx.jpg

xGX5vTt.jpg

Awesome. I hope that, when these are decommissioned, they will be opened up to the general public.

Yrael

Dark matter detectors are pretty cool. These are images of the LUX ("Liquid Underground Xenon") experiment in South Dekota (the first picture shows the photomultiplier tubes at the top and bottom of the detector).

large-underground-xenon-dark-matter-results-6.jpg

(The experiment itself consists of a chamber filled with liquid xenon. When dark matter (such as a neutralino, a hypothetical kind of WIMP - Weakly Interacting Massive Particle) collides with the nucleus of a xenon atom, the interaction produces photons (via scintillation; furthermore, secondary scintillation is produced when electrons are knocked out of orbit - ionizing the xenon - and pulled up by an electric field to a region of xenon gas near the top of the tank, releasing more photons). The photomultiplier tubes pick up these signals.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom