• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post the best episodes of WTF with Marc Maron

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF with Marc Maron (also referred to as What The Fuck with Marc Maron) is a twice-weekly podcast hosted by stand up comedian Marc Maron. The show launched in September 2009. The program primarily consists of interviews with comedians and comedy writers, as well as others in the entertainment and radio communities. WTF has featured a number of notable guests, including Robin Williams, Ben Stiller, Conan O'Brien, Ira Glass, Zach Galifianakis, Louis C.K., and many others. The show is produced by Maron's former Air America co-worker, Brendan McDonald.
Several episodes of the show have garnered media attention, including controversial episodes with Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia, and Gallagher. In early 2011, the show began receiving positive press, including articles in The New York Times.
http://www.wtfpod.com/
iTunes link i'm sure i didn't do right

just digging into this show and want to hear which episodes are everyone's favorites

out of the few i've listened to so far, i'd say Conan and Louis are essential listening if you have any interest in comedy. just finished the Showalter episode and he and Marc's back-and-forth about negativity and failure is making a lot of sense to me. Richard Lewis and Marc seem like long-lost brothers so it's entertaining but predictably dark. Posehn struggles with quitting pot since he's become a father and shares some pretty funny stories. Dimitri Martin was kind of give or take, though he made some interesting points about second-guessing himself.

so which ones should i listen to next? also, official thread for new episodes.

JCX

Dan Harmon (my favorite) - basically gives a treatise on the philosophy of TV writing.
Amy Poehler - great for improv/snl fans
Jessi klein- Just a very funny episode
Aubrey Plaza- Interesting young comedian's perspective
Ira Glass - interesting to see a well-known interviewer be interviewed.
Rob Delaney - Great personal story
Marc Maron - He talks about himself a lot, but this episode where he is interviewed, packages a lot of his neuroses into one thing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How odd, I'm listening to this right now (Bob Odenkirk ep), and when I read the title of the thread Marc said WTF with Marc Maron. Creepy synchronicity.

I havben't listened to loads yet but I found the recent Andrew Dice Clay episode to be fascinating. I think his interviews with the older comics are the best, theose guys have lived crazy lives you know.

EDIT: I second the Aubrey Plaza episode. Very funny and messed up. She had a stroke when she was like 20, that's mind blowing (har har)

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Well the infamous ones, the Gallagher and Carlos Mencia interviews are obviously great.

I liked the Robin Williams interview. He addresses his career, his depression, joke thievery, etc..
The Karl LaBove interview was interesting. Very heavy.
Sue Costello was good.

ToxicAdam

Too many to list. I've been a listener since the very beginning, so I like many of the old ones. Especially the early one's where he talks to his father.

Must listens: Robin Williams, Dave Attell, Margaret Cho, Dana Gould, Judd Apatow, Patrice O'Neal

blame space said:
i'm gonna have to buy the app huh

Totally worth it

JCX said:
Dan Harmon (my favorite) - basically gives a treatise on the philosophy of TV writing.

he's what i would be like if i had any kind of work ethic. Marc brings out so much realness in people.

RJT

No one mentioned Todd Hanson? It was my first WTF episode, and it's amazing. Almost made me cry.

BTW, GAF made me listen to this podcast. A big thanks to whoever recommended it.

JAGII

Neo Member
I'll second a lot of the big ones mentioned -- Louis C.K., Conan, and Gallagher are all great.

I also found the Joe Rogan and Ira Glass episodes to be fascinating. Rogan always seemed like an meathead corporate sellout, but he not only pushes back against Maron's perspective, but also comes off as a real decent guy. It really changed my perspective of him. The Ira Glass episode is cool because the two have a totally different dynamic than other guests -- it seems like Maron wants to be real respectful of Glass (in almost the same tone he uses for his heroes), but Glass picks up on this and turns it around into a compliment to Maron. It's real interesting.

Spire said:
Sue Costello was good.

I hated the Sue Costello episode. She kept spouting this self-indulgent pop-psychology ("I was afraid of the love!"), which Maron can do himself sometimes, especially in the intros, and she didn't seem to have any self-awareness about the way she treated other people like crap. Maybe she was doing a bit, but she'd tell stories about stealing from people or punching a woman who helped, and she justifies it by framing herself as a type of victim. And instead of calling her out on her irresponsibility, Maron just agrees with her. Plus, I hated her voice.

JoshDigi

Neo Member
The Dave Foley one is heavy. I know the child support/alimony system is broken but holy shit.

It is odd that WTF is such a success. I don't find Marc Maron funny, either in his stand up or on his podcast. And a ton of the guests he has on didn't get along with Marc at one point or another. But for some reason all these great comedians come on his show and really open up, resulting in an excellent podcast.

rbenchley

JoshDigi said:
It is odd that WTF is such a success. I don't find Marc Maron funny, either in his stand up or on his podcast. And a ton of the guests he has on didn't get along with Marc at one point or another. But for some reason all these great comedians come on his show and really open up, resulting in an excellent podcast.
I don't find Maron funny and he seems like an awful person, but I love listening to WTF. Most great interviewers have lots of empathy for the person they're interviewing, wheras Maron is combative and more than willing to let the interview get uncomfortable if the podcast will be more interesting for it. WTF is a great companion to The Nerdist podcast. Like Maron, Chris Hardwick knows pretty much everyone in the comedy world, but he seems to get along great with everyone and the podcasts are more of a chummy conversation. Chris Hardwick seems like a really nice guy and I would probably like to hang out with him, but sometimes I feel that the podcast would be better if he were more like Maron. Maron has had personal issues with a good chunk of his guests, and even the ones he's "okay" with now feel very passive-aggressive. His podcasts are not two buddies hanging out, but they can offer some absolutely fascinating material.

border

I thought the Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia episodes were good. Not sure why it is I always want to hear the ones with comedians that I hate :)

JoshDigi said:
Indeed.

And he worked with Sam Seder . . . I assumed that Sam Seder would be the more successful one since Sam. Nope. Sam has his struggling political podcast whereas WTF seemed to take off.

ToxicAdam

blame space said:
this Gallagher interview is so fucking infuriating.

I thought Marc did a piss poor job on that one. Too combative and didn't really present any evidence that he was a racist. Just let the accusations fly.

It's a shame Gallagher and Dice were so consumed by their own egos (even to this day). They would be amazing interviews if they were real and able to set aside all their hubris. But, I guess when you get as big as they were (back in the day) it must warp your brain forever.

CzarTim

Both Janeane Garofalo episodes are great. In the first one she was not working but up beat for the most part, and the second one she was depressed but working.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ToxicAdam said:
I thought Marc did a piss poor job on that one. Too combative and didn't really present any evidence that he was a racist. Just let the accusations fly.

Agreed. Maron came off as being antagonistic in that episode, it was kinda low.

Anyways, Never Not Funny is my favorite comedy podcast, but I like to listen to WTF when it has the right guest. The Andy Dick was episode was good, it's was funny, but disturbing and kinda sad (as you would expect with Dick). The Judd Apatow and Louis CK episodes were great too, very revealing. Most of the good ones have already been covered.

ToxicAdam said:
I did too.

I brought this up to him on Twitter and needless to say, he didn't appreciate it.

RJT

layzie1989 said:
last week was pretty great. Maron had Bryan Cranston and John Hamm.
I agree.

Also, I finally heard the Gallagher episode (quite unconfortable... in the end, I don't think Marc was that much aggressive, Gallagher was just too dumb), and the Louie CK episodes (which were pretty amazing. It's a privilege to hear such an honest conversation between old friends).

Love love this Podcast, this has honestly taken This American Life's weekly limelight in my ears. I am finding myself slowly building a backlog for TAL while I am quickly burning through the older episodes of WTF along with catching the newer episodes. I just love Maron's frank honesty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Carrot Top interview was amazing if only because of what he represents in the "comic nerd" fanbase. I went from thinking that Carrot Top was a joke to almost wanting to fly to Vegas just to watch his show.

At some point he mentioned talking to Russell Peters and it would be great if they got together... if only because comedy nerds have turned on Peters and hate him as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just listened to the Glenn Howerton/Charlie Day and Norm McDonald episodes. Good shit, WTF's had a lot of quality guests lately.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Has Marron really ever had a good monologue?

They're nearly all about how he's embarrassed to be enjoying some mainstream thing that he thinks he shouldn't be enjoying...

But it just begs the question... who gives a shit about hating mainstream things unless you're an adolescent?

Great guests, though. I "like" the show. But the monologue is pretty awful.

Barrage

BocoDragon said:

They're nearly all about how he's embarrassed to be enjoying some mainstream thing that he thinks he shouldn't be enjoying...

But it just begs the question... who gives a shit about hating mainstream things unless you're an adolescent?

The only one that's really funny is his acting as a neurotic Yoga Instructor.

I also found his visit to the Coca Cola factory very interesting.

Mostly though, I skip them.

BocoDragon

Barrage said:
The only one that's really funny is his acting as a neurotic Yoga Instructor.

I also found his visit to the Coca Cola factory very interesting.

Mostly though, I skip them.
Funny... the Coca Cola monologue was one of the ones I was thinking of!

It's kind of like...

Marron "you know how we're all supposed to hate Coca Cola right?....."

Me (thinking): "are we? I didn't get that memo."

I guess for me, the idea of being a "cool, lefty rebel", who is supposed to hate on this and that, died for me when I turned 20 :p It's a little painful to watch an older man who is finding that, yes, there is emotional value in mainstream things too, something that a lot of us already know.

But I still like Marron. His greatest gift is his honesty (and the same goes for a lot of the best work in podcasting today)... but his philosophical outlook on life is pretty adolescent, IMO, and his comedy isn't great. As an honest interviewer, he excels.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
BocoDragon said:

Totally agree. I always skip past the monologue, I find it way too self indulgent. I find Maron grating in general, but he conducts some good interviews and gets better guests than most podcasts.

BocoDragon

KAP151 said:
Gallagher. Marc completely destroys him and it's the only episode where his guest walks out on him.
I'm on Gallagher's side.

Marron launches into a moral crusade about the content of some pretty harmless gay jokes?

If we're making certain forms of comedy taboo.... slippery slope for sure.

There are far more taboo jokes being told, by much more successful comedians than Gallagher......

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Snuggler said:
Totally agree. I always skip past the monologue, I find it way too self indulgent. I find Maron grating in general, but he conducts some good interviews and gets better guests than most podcasts.
I enjoy his monologues, but it's a matter of taste I guess, and I can kind of relate to him. He's like a funnier, more interesting version of me.

I also got to see him perform live several months ago here in Madison. My first stand-up show. He was great.

Tom_Cody

So, it seems that Maron's television pilot has been picked up:

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/03/ifc-new-series-2012-2013

He has mentioned this project semi-regularly for the past year and a half or so, but I just assumed it was never picked up since so much time had past.

This news caught me totally off guard, but then again I am only listening to episodes with guests that I care about at this point. I listened to the monologue segment of today's episode and he didn't mention it.

Has he discussed the news of his show getting picked on any of the recent episodes? Hearing Maron reflect on this new success sounds like podcast gold to me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
He's not talked about it for a while afaik. Listened to yesterdays Cera interview (which was very pleasant) and he didn't mention it.

Also, last weeks spot with Mary Mack was brilliant, she was so charming. I think I've developed a thing for that hard core Midwestern accent. Loved the songs too.

Tom_Cody

He's not talked about it for a while afaik. Listened to yesterdays Cera interview (which was very pleasant) and he didn't mention it.

Also, last weeks spot with Mary Mack was brilliant, she was so charming. I think I've developed a thing for that hard core Midwestern accent. Loved the songs too.
Ok, thanks. This is making me realize that I should start listening to this more again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom