• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

Marty Chinn

Jun 6, 2004
Lots of people to reply to so I'll try to get everyone in one post.....

ImperialConquest said:
You have GOD's receiver.

*bows*

Ya, I love my receiver =) It's so awesome =)

d0g_bear said:
did you know you have the the IRL version of the little Playstaiton Home stool you win when you play the Namco Museum beta?
I made a tower of those in my 'summer home' lol

Yep! Those are pretty standard stools in Japanese arcades. I got them when I got my cabinet since it's a Japanese cabinet. They're designed to be sit down cabinets.

whitehawk said:
What, the gaming room posted with thousands of games? Why would you want that:lol I feel sorry for the guy imo

Heh why would you feel sorry for me?

comedy bomb said:
Marty Chinn's gameroom is godly. One of the best I've seen on GAF evah

Thanks =)

bunker said:
Nice setup. Where did you get that arcade cabinet?

My friend found it for me in Los Angeles. It was at a Japanese arcade called I think Arcade Infinity and I guess they were just unloading some cabinets so he got three of them. One for himself, one for me, and one for our friend. He stored it till I could drive down to LA to pick it up. If I recall, it was only $450 for a Japanese style Capcom Impress cabinet. It has a 29" monitor that can rotate to be used for vertical scrolling games and also supports medium res games like Model 2 and Model 3 boards for games like Virtua Fighter 2 and 3.

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
Canada
Marty Chinn said:
Heh why would you feel sorry for me?
Probably the wrong choice of words, but I mean.. Really? How many games do you have, like a thousand? I have like 50 maybe, on all systems combined. :lol I thought I had too many games :p

Aug 6, 2008
Boston
PSGames said:
With just 2 weeks left in '08 I figure everyone should be getting their new/updated setups for the new year! So post away!

I just moved into a new place myself so this is still a work in progress, but I'm happy with it :) :

Westinghouse 42 lcd (I should be upgrading this soon!)
Sony STR-DG910 Reciever

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can conceal the cords at the bottom?

I guess it's a personal preference based on wiring and probably just a huge pet peeve of mine... but why on earth wouldn't you wan't the rear speakers behind you?

You're paying for surround sound, your consoles and games support it...why not?

And is that a Bible on the table? Just curious

Baker

Banned
May 5, 2006

Couple notes:

Yes, I know the drapes don't match anymore. I got new furniture and never got around to replacing them.

Yes, I know there's a carpet section that doesn't match. I removed the fireplace in the corner, and that was the best I could find on short notice. Once I remodel the bathroom, I'm going to replace all the carpet in the living room.

I just reordered my shelves. The empty spaces are pre-planning for xmas presents. I'll switch it around a little bit more after that.

I also have a computer room and another game room, but I haven't used in either in almost a year, so they're pretty much Storage Room A and Storage Room B now.

fatty

Sep 6, 2004
users.ign.com

Epona along with my Virtual Boy watches over all my stuff

Blue GameBoy Color and Fattie DS get used on the toilet:

I've gotten more PS3 and Xbox 360 games since this picture was taken

PSGames

Apr 1, 2008
Atlanta, GA
sangreal said:
Couldn't wait until 2009? was having the first post that important?

I was going to post them in the 08 thread but with only 2 weeks left what's the point?

anonymousAversa said:
I guess it's a personal preference based on wiring and probably just a huge pet peeve of mine... but why on earth wouldn't you wan't the rear speakers behind you?

You're paying for surround sound, your consoles and games support it...why not?

And is that a Bible on the table? Just curious

I definitely plan on moving some speakers back there but until I get some wireless speakers or something it's just not practical... And yes that's a bible, I took these pics on Sunday.

Integra

Neo Member
Mar 27, 2008
St. Cloud, FL
Marty Chinn said:
Hardware:

Sony KF-50WE610 HDTV
Pioneer Elite SC-07 Receiver
AV123 ELT525 Speakers
DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Sony 60 GB PlayStation 3
Sony PlayStation 2
Microsoft Xbox (used for XBMC)
Microsoft Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii

Here's my current setup which I just upgraded a couple months ago:

And for good measure, here's pics of my game room.

I still need to take pics of the cabinet that has all the consoles in it, and still need to get stuff from my parents place, but that's what I've got going so far.

I'll probably have to post new pics again in the next couple of months because it looks like I've got an issue with my TV and will likely have to buy a new one. I'm looking forward to what gets announced at CES but right now I've got my eye on a Pioneer Elite Kuro 50" 111FD Plasma screen. Willing to sell my current one if anyone is interested =)

O.O

um.... um.... can I call you god????

anyway, this is mine:

computer:

Mofo

Jun 15, 2004
Cali
www.pixelationsaturation.com
So we are finally settling into the new house so I figured I'd share pics of my trashy yet still classy Rick's Arcade setup:

To the left -

To the right -

In the middle -

The rear left -

The rear right -

And just some random shots of my junk...

A super cool Mario DS holder -

Some of my Gold Marios -

My XMen/TMNT/Simpsons 4 Player arcade setup -

HE IS IRON MAN!

And my Jet Set Radio slot -

Much love to my wife that gave me my man cave - I wouldn't own half this shit if it wasn't in my own domain!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Jun 10, 2004
Here.
www.tedtropy.com
It hasn't really changed since last year. Same little 30" LG CRT HDTV and modest Onkyo receiver 5.1 setup. Other components are an HD TiVo, 360 with HD-DVD drive, PSTwo, Gamecube, component switch, optical audio switch. It's not a dream system, but I earned it all paycheck by paycheck and it does well by me.

With the festive holiday theme...

I was thinking Arby's.

Dec 5, 2008
usa
Mofo said:
Much love to my wife that gave me my man cave - I wouldn't own half this shit if it wasn't in my own domain!

Same here man. Love the wife and My Man Room. Only part of the new house i care about :lol

Your Man Cave is impressive as well.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Sep 21, 2006
new york
Marty Chinn said:
And for good measure, here's pics of my game room.

I've been looking for one of those cherry arcade cabinets, very nice.

Also, this thread reminds me why I can't wait for Digital Distribution. I'd go nuts with that much media all over the house!

Marty Chinn

Jun 6, 2004
suffah said:
I've been looking for one of those cherry arcade cabinets, very nice.

Also, this thread reminds me why I can't wait for Digital Distribution. I'd go nuts with that much media all over the house!

Heh, becuase of my room is reasons I'm not completely keen on digitial distribution for games. I like having a physical copy. I like having my room where I have shelves of games. To me it's like a library/archive with a history of games that I can use as a resource when needed from anywhere from arguing something on the forum, to actual research for work. There is just something that awes me when I walk in to find a game.

As for digital distribution for movies, I want to avoid that all together because until they can give me somehow the same quality as disc based movies, I don't want to take the hit in video and audio quality.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Nov 26, 2008

Can't see my PS3 or Wii but that's the setup.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
First pictures of my new London setup.

Living room. Sony 52X2000 1080P LCD TV. Xbox 360. PlayStation 3. Sony 5300ES receiver. Usher S-520 speakers and Usher subwoofer. Speaker stands Custom Design UK. Sofa "Togo" by Ligne Rose. Lamp "Arco" by Flos. Table from Innovation, Denmark. TV stand by Muurame. Art by Patrick Thomas.

Dining. MacBook Pro 15" unibody. Alvar Aalto table and chairs from Artek. Carpet by Woodnotes.

Wall. Invader art.

Kitchen. MacBook Air with Spore.

Bedroom. PSP-2000 series. Nintendo DS lite. Bed by Innovation, Denmark. Night tables by BoConcept. Wall art by Threadless in Supernice.

Lounge wall. Bioshock figure. iPod 60GB. Soundstick II speakers Harman-Kardon. Cupboards by Muurame. Wall art by Supernice.

Lounge. Wii. Samsung 720P LCD TV. Table by Skanno. Sofa by Innovation, Denmark. Beanbags by Innovation, Denmark. "Barcelona" chair by Knoll. Footrest by Woodnotes.

WindBelow

Neo Member
Aug 16, 2008
wow chittagong your house is one of those houses that you see in a catalog and you always say to yourself "damn I wish I could live there"...or at least know the person who lives there so I could hang out there and roll around naked on the floor while they are sleeping

Tf53

Jan 25, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I so hate Chittagong. He's got the place I'd love to have but could never maintain. While I love the simplicity of it all, I couldn't help pouring all sorts of crap into every room. Minimalistic I am not.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
Thanks all, glad you like it! Was a big change moving from Finland to UK and needed to get lots of new furniture.

mrklaw said:
nice.

tell me you have some nice equipment in the cupboard under your main TV. PS3, bluray player at least?

Haha, yep, got a PS3 and Xbox 360. They're actually under the receiver on a stand from Habitat.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
carlosp said:
i love you style. I must have that lamp (i mean the big one coming down from above). Where can i buy it. Please tell me you can get that in EU :S

Sure you can. Mine is from twentytwentyone in London. Just search for Flos and Arco.

Chû Totoro

Mar 13, 2006
Chittagong said:
Sure you can. Mine is from twentytwentyone in London. Just search for Flos and Arco.
I'm planning to buy quite the same. Except mine have three lights.
I like your place it seems so comfy and peacefull.

I'll have my new TV stand this saturday and I have a few other things to buy but I hope I'll be able to post my almost-final setup here in 2 or 3 weeks (I've been in my new place for 1 week only).

Corum

Dec 5, 2008
England
Chittagong said:
Living room. Sony 52X2000 1080P LCD TV. Xbox 360. PlayStation 3. Sony 5300ES receiver. Usher S-520 speakers and Usher subwoofer. Speaker stands Custom Design UK. Sofa "Togo" by Ligne Rose. Lamp "Arco" by Flos. Table from Innovation, Denmark. TV stand by Muurame. Art by Patrick Thomas.

I swear there are chapters similar to this in American Psycho.

Amazing setup, was the layout designed by yourself or did you hire an interior designer?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
Corum said:
I swear there are chapters similar to this in American Psycho.

Amazing setup, was the layout designed by yourself or did you hire an interior designer?

Getting scared myself too... Thanks for the compliment. Designed it myself, inspired by many of the hotels I've been to over the years. The living room was inspired by The Standard on Sunset Boulevard.

Retro

Dec 7, 2008
Melchiah said:

The X-ray is an interesting bit of wall decor, never seen that done before... but the rest of the hospital furniture seems a little odd... unless you're living in a hospital.

Also, gas masks in the bathroom?Subtle and awesome.

Melchiah

Sep 21, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
www.youtube.com
Retro said:
The X-ray is an interesting bit of wall decor, never seen that done before... but the rest of the hospital furniture seems a little odd... unless you're living in a hospital.

Also, gas masks in the bathroom?Subtle and awesome.

Well, I've been collecting hospital stuff for years, and that's why the living room looks like that. I've got two other wheelchairs, but there's no room for them. And those gas masks are in the hall, not the bathroom.

Yazus

Aug 9, 2008
Italy
tedtropy said:
It hasn't really changed since last year. Same little 30" LG CRT HDTV and modest Onkyo receiver 5.1 setup. Other components are an HD TiVo, 360 with HD-DVD drive, PSTwo, Gamecube, component switch, optical audio switch. It's not a dream system, but I earned it all paycheck by paycheck and it does well by me.

With the festive holiday theme...

I was thinking Arby's.

I like your setup :D

I will post my setup when my dad come back with the photocamera :)

Anyways i have a poor setup xD 26" Panasonic, 360, Wii, PS2, GBA, DS Lite and PSP-3000.