• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

nib95

Banned
Don't believe I've posted in the 2009 edition.

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

b11-1.jpg

b1-1.jpg

And some that are potential spoilers for KZ2 fans. Click at your own risk.

garath

Giant Robot said:
Rear

Did some wire/cabling management.
rearCables.jpg

rearClose.jpg

Your cable management is a thing of beauty. I'm inspired. Next time I'm at home and think about it I'm going to break out the zip ties and clean up my mess.

Updated Set Up

Sony KDS-50A3000 BRAVIA SXRD Microdisplay HDTV, PS3 (60 GB Version), Sennheiser RS 130, Logitech Z-5500 THX-certified, 505-watt 5.1 digital surround sound

I added some Japanese paper to the doors. I got it from ToshikoInc.com

2mr9xg6.jpg

The pc is outside the room because of the noise.

I just need a good amp and speaker and I'm perfectly set. The hifi here is nearly 20 years old :lol

pj

Banned
updated with less ghetto speaker stands:

2zgxc2v.jpg

Next stop, more speakers and possibly a separate amp for the mains!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't know if that could be considered on topic, but I'm just wondering:

Why do most (not all) people here appear to have several, or all of the following:

-a good digital camera;
-one or more HDTVs;
-a big sound setup;
-lots of movies (possibly Blu-Rays/HD-DVDs too)?

I swear, sometimes I get the feeling that you're all tech/movie buffs before video game hobbyists :p. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't get all this o_O.

straydog1980 said:
I don't have any pictures of my 42" lcd, but here is a picture of most of my console games after I loaded them into the cabinet my gf got me for xmas :D

2uj6q2g.jpg

any idea where that cabinet came from? i need something like that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kilrogg said:

why do most (not all) people here appear to have several, or all of the following:
-a good digital camera;
-one or more HDTVs;
-a big sound setup;

I swear, sometimes I get the feeling that you're all movie buffs before video game hobbyists :p. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't get all this o_O.

Well, I guess I'll field it.

1) Good camera are cheap.
2) HDTVs are getting cheap.
3) Sound is awesome.
4) For me personally, I AM a much bigger movie buff than video game hobbyist and you're much more likely to keep a library of movies to watch many times over the years than a library of games you play once and forget about.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kintaro said:
Well, I guess I'll field it.

1) Good camera are cheap.
2) HDTVs are getting cheap.
3) Sound is awesome.
4) For me personally, I AM a much bigger movie buff than video game hobbyist and you're much more likely to keep a library of movies to watch many times over the years than a library of games you play once and forget about.

Yeah but the thing is that my bullet-point list could have been made in 2007 or even 2006, when HDTVs were more expensive.

Overall, I have the impression that many here double as tech fans, whereas I am not. Also, I'm more likely to replay games than watch movies many times.

Sound is the biggest question mark for me. While I can understand liking a good setup, I've always felt most people, even within the video game hobby, didn't care much about. Am I a different race of game hobbyist, or what? :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kilrogg said:
Yeah but the thing is that my bullet-point list could have been made in 2007 or even 2006, when HDTVs were more expensive.

Overall, I have the impression that many here double as tech fans, whereas I am not. Also, I'm more likely to replay games than watch movies many times.

Sound is the biggest question mark for me. While I can understand liking a good setup, I've always felt most people, even within the video game hobby, didn't care much about. Am I a different race of game hobbyist, or what? :p

Well, I'd say a good number of game fans are tech nerds as well. So that would explain that. Sound truly brings everything around full circle. You can have your HD console or blu ray movies but if it sounds like shit, then the experience is lacking. So, people like to have their sound to speed. Some take it to a more extreme degree because they could also be audiophiles who love music as well.

Nah, we're all different. Personally, I don't buy or play too many games. I'll rent them or buy what I TRULY want. However, when it comes to movies...it's on.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kintaro said:
Well, I'd say a good number of game fans are tech nerds as well. So that would explain that. Sound truly brings everything around full circle. You can have your HD console or blu ray movies but if it sounds like shit, then the experience is lacking. So, people like to have their sound to speed. Some take it to a more extreme degree because they could also be audiophiles who love music as well.

Nah, we're all different. Personally, I don't buy or play too many games. I'll rent them or buy what I TRULY want. However, when it comes to movies...it's on.

Okay, thank you. It certainly makes more sense in your case. I wonder if many here like movies more than games, like you.

straydog1980 said:
I don't have any pictures of my 42" lcd, but here is a picture of most of my console games after I loaded them into the cabinet my gf got me for xmas :D

2uj6q2g.jpg

Where did you get that cabnet from?! I need something like this badly!

Edit: Ah I see the post above.

Kilrogg said:

Why do most (not all) people here appear to have several, or all of the following:

-a good digital camera;
-one or more HDTVs;
-a big sound setup;

I swear, sometimes I get the feeling that you're all tech/movie buffs before video game hobbyists :p. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't get all this o_O.

1. I don't have a digital camera. My old one broke a while back.
2. I only have 1 HDTV and spent a lot on it.
3. not just "big" sound setup, but a quality one that is multi-purpose (movies, games, music)
4. I have just as much movies as I do games, but I have a bigger music collection because it is cheaper and have more time for that (listening to it while driving, exercising, at work)

to me it's all entertainment and try to enjoy them equally :)

Surreal

garath said:
Your cable management is a thing of beauty. I'm inspired. Next time I'm at home and think about it I'm going to break out the zip ties and clean up my mess.

Yeah I did that once. Then I wanted to move my PS3 and I cried.

Kilrogg said:

-a good digital camera;
-one or more HDTVs;
-a big sound setup;

Immersion when it comes to gaming....and yes I love movies. Today with 1080p blu-ray movies, HD surround sound, and mother f'ing comfy couches Home Theater > Movie theater.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Thank you all for your answers, and sorry for slightly derailing the thread.

It's just that I've never been that much of a tech fan. I know about tech and can care to an extent (e.g. I've got an RGB cable for my Wii :p), but it's never been remotely important to my enjoyment of music/movies/games. As long as I have access to the drink, I'm not fussy about the container. That's just me though.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread!

Fox the Sly

Nothing special here.

I use the monitor (Westinghouse L2410NM) as a computer monitor and HDTV for my 360. I wasn't doing anything here, I swear! :D
214no5h.jpg

dr4etu.jpg

There's also an Xbox 1 not shown.
ouo07r.jpg

LiK

Fox the Sly said:
Nothing special here.

I use the monitor (Westinghouse L2410NM) as a computer monitor and HDTV for my 360. I wasn't doing anything here, I swear! :D
214no5h.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/dr4etu.jpg

There's also an Xbox 1 not shown.
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/ouo07r.jpg[/QUOTE]

who's the babe on the screen?

[spoiler]btw, i love that there's lotion and tissues right below it :P[/spoiler]

FallenCow

Neo Member
pj325is said:
updated with less ghetto speaker stands:

2zgxc2v.jpg

Next stop, more speakers and possibly a separate amp for the mains!

Are those Ascend 170s I see? I'm guessing that's a Hsu sub as well?
Nice to see that I'm not the only Ascend owner in the forum! How are the 170s btw? I have Sierras and absolutely love them. I have 170s for surrounds but haven't unpacked them yet (waiting to move).

LiK said:
who's the babe on the screen?

btw, i love that there's lotion and tissues right below it :p
Obligatory spoiler tags :p
I know it's really out of topic but what's with the lotion thing ? I never used this to.. well you know...
I guess it's just different traditions from different countries :lol

Back on topic : I'll try to post my new setup this week-end.

Chû Totoro said:
I know it's really out of topic but what's with the lotion thing ? I never used this to.. well you know...

I'm guessing many people here in the US are circumcised so a bit of lube helps when doing the deed ;)

On topic: I really need to buy a nice camera to take a few pics of my new setup

Fox the Sly

Chû Totoro said:

Actually...
I don't lotion for it either, it was just for comedic effect. :lol

joelseph

Riptwo said:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/riptwo/Basement.jpg[IMG]

I like to think that the theme is "controlled chaos," but it's getting less and less controlled every day.[/QUOTE]

Throw some turntables in there and I might never leave that room. Nice setup.

HooDoo

Here is my current setup, bound to change in the upcoming months since I'm moving to a new place with a better room to play games and watch movies. Everything is thumbnailed :

Desktop is there to download stuff, the laptop is my main computer.

One crappy front projector to waste time on PSN/XBLA and some wii games, the other one for some more serious gaming and movies.

My fuck-up image thanks to my old Hitachi pjtx100, good enough to play Monsters though.

A close-up view of my audio setup. Lamp amp melody onyx for the music and movies and an old AV marantz for my games.

Riptwo said:
I like to think that the theme is "controlled chaos," but it's getting less and less controlled every day.

I like your controlled chaos.

HooDoo said:
Here is my current setup, bound to change in the upcoming months since I'm moving to a new place with a better room to play games and watch movies. Everything is thumbnailed

That is just your gameroom? MFSOB!!!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'd post a picture of my setup, it's awesome...

But i can't keep the desk/games/tv free of dust (i live right by an street where buses go by) and you guys would make fun of my 20+ years wall paiting, that is not mostly yellow thanks to tobacco.

So i wont. :D

btrboyev

HooDoo, you need to fix that room up, you have nice shit and it's put together really badly...you are sitting too far away from the screen. The projectors should be behind you, not in front of you.

dogbowl

Working on a new gaming setup (scheduled to be completed in 2009)

Just the basement floor, but you get the idea

rev03.jpg

HooDoo

btrboyev said:
HooDoo, you need to fix that room up, you have nice shit and it's put together really badly...you are sitting too far away from the screen. The projectors should be behind you, not in front of you.

I know that but that's the best I can do here, I want that room to be nice to live in, int's not my gaming basement.
My next room should be alright though, much much bigger screen, every piece of hardware will be put behind in a separate room and hopefully something better than shoe boxes to store my games and CDs. :]

Anony

setupw.jpg

the monitor in the corner is the dell s2209 22" 1080p screen
acts as secondary monitor to main comp and laptop and wii

setup2.jpg

laptop is mainly for work and stuff, this is where i actually what my work done

setup1r.jpg

Here's an updated pic of my main set-up with the new Gunmetal PS3 to replace my broken 60GB.

IMGP0514.jpg

and I moved my stand alone Blu-Ray player in my bedroom...

IMGP0520.jpg

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I love these threads. I'm not a photographer so my pics aren't that great, but I wanted to share my old & new setup.

Old - Samsung 30'' Slimfit
DSC00009-1.jpg

New - Pioneer 5020 Kuro
DSC00010-1.jpg

Fuzyfrog

Recently moved so everything isnt set up properly yet.

2mw8940.jpg

Heres what its like currently.
Gotta Tannoy 5.1 system but only have the 2 fronts and sub running at the moment as i gotta sort out cabling. The center is just sitting there next to the sub doing nothing.

Got the grundig on the ground because its like 70KG and i cant be bothered moving it yet.
PS3 sounds amazing through the Tannoys and looks good in 1080p

Ill post more pics when its all setup properly.... eventually

PSGames

LunaticPuma said:
I love these threads. I'm not a photographer so my pics aren't that great, but I wanted to share my old & new setup.

Old - Samsung 30'' Slimfit
DSC00009-1.jpg

New - Pioneer 5020 Kuro
DSC00010-1.jpg

Awesome upgrade dude. I do feel your consoles were better organized with the 2 shelf design. But everything still looks great.

Top Bottom