• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

Toy Soldier said:
v8lrp0.jpg
omg you rule

Giant Robot said:
Nothing aesthetically new.
But I got a new toy now :D:D

BK_Front.jpg

B&K Reference 200.7 Amp
Thing is a freakin beast. 83lbs! 200wpc. Best upgrade I've done and my most favorite.

BK_Rear.jpg

Rear

Did some wire/cabling management.
rearCables.jpg

rearClose.jpg

bedroom.jpg

Bedroom
-Paradigm Titans, Marantz receiver, Sony cd player
This was a downgrade from a Grand Integra pre-amp and a Carver amp :(:(:(

and heres old pics of the main setup
IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

More impressive than your setup is your fuckin' awesome taste in music :D I like the framed concert posters, i have the same with 4 Melvins posters. How much were them speakers in your main setup? I really need a decent stereo, all my music listening is currently through my PC :(

Pojo said:
I'm pretty sure he faked those pictures. Look at the Britney picture in the top right. :p

Alex Anderson, what the hell. :lol His edit is the only fake photo on that page, rest assured.

fatty said:
I love that layout Toy Soldier. That's similar to what I would like my place to be once it is set up how I'd like.

Thanks, I appreciate hearing that someone else digs it. I hear all the time that it's a bit too gaudy and unsavory, but therein lies the beauty on my end: it's full of treasures I've had a great time piecing together - all items that are meant for my leisurely consumption. I want one basic loose theme (a kitschy fantasy / faux-Medieval thing), but it's gotta be customized around me.

I don't want boring, so splash on the things I celebrate: boobage, blades, and Britney. Just like a dream come true.

careful said:
What's up with the medieval theme? You dumped all the Knicks stuff?

Never, ever. I have my sports memorabilia stashed around various parts of the apartment - some stored away, but nothing in this particular room anymore. The whole look is something I've wanted to do for a while, but it wasn't 'til I stripped the walls to repaint last year that I started piecing it all together.

Rorschach said:
...wait a minute... did you frame the top half of that X Blades chick?

I thought it fit the whole theme pretty well. It came from a GameStop promotional poster. Coincidentally, honestly, I LOVE the game. It's my favorite of the year. It's fun unabashed cheese, executed well...but even if I didn't love the game, I'd still like that poster framed there.

Pojo said:
Wow.

But uhh...how is that Panasonic TV? Is it one of the newer models?

Did you seriously frame those pictures? Was Heavy Metal magazine giving home decor tits...errm tips?

It's a Viera 50" 720p. So no, not one of the newest ones, but still a solid plasma display - especially at the going rate. I regret not springing for 1080p - but all in all, I've got no complaints; everything looks great on it.

I'm a Heavy Metal subscriber, yes...guilty as charged. :D Many of the prints on the walls were originally published there. If you love it, frame it!

nerbo said:
I'm struggling to determine how many of your things were pilfered from a dead grandmother's attic, versus stolen from the prop chest of a bankrupt renaissance fair tour.

Oh tons of places. That's part of the fun, having a memory for when I got everything. Some of the swords were displayed in an old shop for years, so the owner let them go on the cheap. Other bits were at thrift stores or from collectors selling stuff off. My uncle dabbled in repairing/selling old ornate furniture before his death, and that giant mirror is a gem he'd given my parents as a gift probably over 20 years ago. It had been stored away virtually ever since, but I fell in love with it at first sight; I wish I had something else from his collection, but he sold most everything.

Then with the framed items, everything is memorable. The Britney posters all came from the unforgettable Circus tour, all of the art prints are paintings I've been fond of for a long time, then the two photographed pieces are of models that I just HAD to display on my walls (I'll do more frames featuring them ASAP). So as chaotic as things seem, each item has earned its place.

Charmicarmicat said:
More impressive than your setup is your fuckin' awesome taste in music :D I like the framed concert posters, i have the same with 4 Melvins posters. How much were them speakers in your main setup? I really need a decent stereo, all my music listening is currently through my PC :(

thanks :) I grabbed most of those posters at SXSW's poster art show.

I get almost all my audio/video stuff at cost or i'll do trades/services.
Normal retail price on those speakers are:
L/R mains - $2,000 ish
Center - $600ish
Surrounds - $600ish
Amp - $3,000ish
Receiver - $1,600ish

good bang for the buck for B&W speakers imo.

DCharlie

Banned
258 Xbox360 Games and 42 Xbox Games.. Am I right? *calcs 258x70€=.. oh*

sort of, my wife has borrowed about 10 X360 games and in an order to save space, i threw out a load of Xbox boxes and put the game disks in wallets (but kept the REALLY good game boxes) - probably around 200 or so Xbox games in wallets? Much more for PS2 and PS1, but anyways. :D

PSGames

Giant Robot said:
thanks :) I grabbed most of those posters at SXSW's poster art show.

I get almost all my audio/video stuff at cost or i'll do trades/services.
Normal retail price on those speakers are:
L/R mains - $2,000 ish
Center - $600ish
Surrounds - $600ish
Amp - $3,000ish
Receiver - $1,600ish

good bang for the buck for B&W speakers imo.

So just curious how much did you pay for them?

shuri said:
Toy's Soldier setup is the most fucked up mashup of weird shit ever. It's like the internet has come alive and decorated a room using random google search.

I'm not sure this thread will recover from his post. God damn dude.

I'm not sure I will recover from his post ... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Why wouldn't I, is the better question.

I was bidding on a print of a painting on eBay that featured some generic female royalty against a castle-interior background. It was an exact theme I felt fit the room nicely. After being outbid and evaluating whether to bid again, I remembered having seen a photo set with that exact theme on Milena Velba's site months ago, so boom - magic moment. Had a large print made and framed it the same day.

Eteric Rice

Toy Soldier said:
Why wouldn't I, is the better question.

I was bidding on a print of a painting on eBay that featured some generic female royalty against a castle-interior background. It was an exact theme I felt fit the room nicely. After being outbid and evaluating whether to bid again, I remembered having seen a photo set with that exact theme on Milena Velba's site months ago, so boom - magic moment. Had a large print made and framed it the same day.

Because if you ever brought a woman to your house, she would do a grandpasimpson.gif.

Fuzyfrog

Still trying to figure out where im going to run the cables etc for the rears.
Ill post some good pics when im done.

Anyone else here have Tannoy speakers specifically the DC1's ?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Toy Soldier, is that really your living room, or just a room you made for gaming and such?

I have what I like to call my "nerd room." I filled it with game/animu posters, figures, and all my games and such, but it's only used for video games. I don't think I could do that to a living room.

Eteric Rice said:
Because if you ever brought a woman to your house, she would do a grandpasimpson.gif.

I've had worse reactions to a quick blast of Britney in the car, honestly.

But no, I don't make it a point to bring dates into the den. Women usually just find it funny, but still - it's not meant for them. It's mine.

Lyte Edge said:
Toy Soldier, is that really your living room, or just a room you made for gaming and such?

Definitely not the living room - it's just my den. Gaming, singing, sports, hanging out, etc.

My living room is Plain Jane, totally boring. Lifeless, no spark. Most decor resources support the den, and rightfully so.

Lyte Edge

Toy Soldier said:
I
Definitely not the living room - it's just my den. Gaming, singing, sports, hanging out, etc.

My living room is Plain Jane, totally boring. Lifeless, no spark. Most decor resources support the den, and rightfully so.

So then it's fine and you've essentially isolated your "nerd laboratory" from the rest of the house! :lol

My little room gets treated like an exhibit by people. My wife isn't too fond of some of the animu posters that are up, but doesn't really care, and I've had other females who loved it.

Toy Soldier's room is way over the top guys, but if it is his gaming room, I don't see the point in going crazy over it. There's some people here who get their game on in their living rooms, and there's some who have dedicated rooms for it is all.

I love it - staggering collection of figures/models, not to mention your games. Holy cow. See, THAT's the brand of room I always love visiting, and seeing in these threads. Exhibits of individuality. It's all about having fun, surrounding yourself with the things that make you smile - the things that represent your interests and personality. Take those posters you mentioned at the end...hang them, enjoy them. Why not!

Also, yeah, I figure it's best to isolate one room that's literally filled to the brim with me, and keep the rest of the place more sterile and welcoming to visitors. I adore looking at my walls, and friends usually dig it too...especially since they know how fond I am of everything up there.

Honestly, I've never REALLY been opposed to the idea of expanding our brand of 'comfort rooms' to areas as public as the living room...but it's just not feasible, yet. :lol Being so quirky and polarizing, it might be too much too soon. I want to avoid the Abe Simpson reactions Eteric Rice alluded to. But I think that's for the best, it's more fun to have it all in one little isolated area to spend a few hours here and there.

dralla said:
ifvkzt.jpg

Pioneer PDP-5020FD ($2,000) - This is my current set up, all major components are in place. I still want to upgrade my subwoofer, I'm currently using the one that came with the Boston Acoustics package. All in all, about $5,100 over the last 4 years. That doesn't include the stands, the wiring, or the TV stand.

Nice upgrading but cover up those damn skinny legs! It looks much better, well on mine it does :D

Holy shit @ a few of these setups! I know some of you guys have to be single :lol

NekoFever

I'm in my new place and I've got a dedicated room for my TV and games.

Here's an overview:

u112.jpg

This is the view of the TV itself:

view954.jpg

The setup's the same: 42" Panasonic plasma, Logitech Z-5400 5.1 system, Pioneer DV-400V DVD player (HDMI), UK 360 Elite (HDMI), US 60GB PS3 (HDMI), US Wii (component), and modded PAL PS2 (component). When I've got some shelving (see below) the Dreamcast will be connected up as well, via VGA. Tucked away on the left there is a Linksys WRT54GL running with the Tomato firmware in client mode, which is how I get the consoles on my network.

And here are my DVD/BDs and games - games are the ones going sideways down the left and Blu-rays are against the back wall. I'm building shelves for them around those two walls next week because I couldn't find anything suitable prebuilt.

e606.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lyte: you have an overwhelming amount of stuff, but everything is organized extremely well, and the furniture remains consistent, so it actually looks really nice, unlike a lot of people who have an excessive amount of stuff thrown together with no consistency whatsoever. The anime posters and action figures ain't my thing, but if you like them, more power to you..

What do you do for controller storage?

Lyte Edge

djtiesto said:
Lyte: you have an overwhelming amount of stuff, but everything is organized extremely well, and the furniture remains consistent, so it actually looks really nice, unlike a lot of people who have an excessive amount of stuff thrown together with no consistency whatsoever. The anime posters and action figures ain't my thing, but if you like them, more power to you..

That stuff was the result of being "bored" with collecting games in J-land (completed my collection, essentially) and just moving onto something else. The posters were either freebies or came with a comic or magazine; figured why not cover the walls with something, and "nerd" was definitely the going theme here. :lol

What do you do for controller storage?

It was posted! I mainly use these two older plastic mini-chests to put everything in. The only arcade stick I have is the Nyko SF Anniversary Stick, which I'm sure at this point most people feel is garbage in comparison to what's out now. It's in the attic at the moment.

NekoFever said:
view954.jpg

The setup's the same: 42" Panasonic plasma, Logitech Z-5400 5.1 system, Pioneer DV-400V DVD player (HDMI), UK 360 Elite (HDMI), US 60GB PS3 (HDMI), US Wii (component), and modded PAL PS2 (component). When I've got some shelving (see below) the Dreamcast will be connected up as well, via VGA. Tucked away on the left there is a Linksys WRT54GL running with the Tomato firmware in client mode, which is how I get the consoles on my network.
Do you have the Wii's sound hooked up through you sound system? If so, how? I have the exact same system and I don't know how to connect my Wii to it.

This is a cool thread, but is there a collection thread anywhere? I'd love to see close up shots of some of this stuff so I could actually see what games people have.

NekoFever

Silicon Knight said:
Do you have the Wii's sound hooked up through you sound system? If so, how? I have the exact same system and I don't know how to connect my Wii to it.
Yeah, you need one of these to connect it to one of the stereo inputs:

9quv4z.jpg

They're very cheap and you should be able to get something to do the job from anywhere that does random audio cables.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not the most detailed shot but you can see all the systems next to the tv and the game collection on the bookshelves at the end, plus the TE on the table :)

living_room_01.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
salva said:
Holy shit toy soldier:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That's like a super nerd room
More of a kitschy crazy old lady room.

Super nerd would have a fathead of Master Chief on the wall or something.

Raging Spaniard said:
Not the most detailed shot but you can see all the systems next to the tv and the game collection on the bookshelves at the end, plus the TE on the table :)

living_room_01.jpg

:lol

I have that same shelf you're using to hold your consoles. Target FTW! Only difference is that my shelf is essentially a wedding shrine that my wife did up.

I'll post my setup this weekend after I do my Saturday cleaning.

Great setup though!

DIRTY-D said:
Could you please tell who did the painting of the girl and knife standing with 2 tigers?

looks awesome.

I'm a big fan of it too, it's by Simon Bisley...one of my favorite fantasy artists. He's got lots of popular posters/prints available.

On the picture I took featuring the framed Queen Velba, you can barely see another cropped-and-scaled Simon Bisley. I'll take a better shot of that:

bisley.jpg

He also did two of the three prints I have above my TV. I'd love to get more stuff by him up at some point.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Oh well, here goes.
consoles.jpg

PS3 and Xbox360 on the monitor in 1080p, Wii gets the TV to itself (for when I has peeps over). Sad how little use they all seem to get lately...
pcg.jpg

Whee, ghetto PC setup is ghetto.

Awesome room Lyte Edge, I have a request:

Could you link/show me bigger pics of your figures plz :3

Also what do you do with all the boxes you get from them?

Ashhong

Skittleguy said:
Oh well, here goes.
consoles.jpg

PS3 and Xbox360 on the monitor in 1080p, Wii gets the TV to itself (for when I has peeps over). Sad how little use they all seem to get lately...
pcg.jpg

Whee, ghetto PC setup is ghetto.

:lol at the pen cap. and what? did you say that monitor is at 1080p? :lol

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Ashhong said:
:lol at the pen cap. and what? did you say that monitor is at 1080p? :lol
Yeah. The pen cap because I can't afford a better TV than the broke ass one. And I get 1080p thanks to my VGA box-converter thing.

Top Bottom