• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sorry, only have a really shit cell phone camera on me at the moment.

TV.jpg

Anyway, that is an SVS SCS-01 surround sound system (L/R speaker + center is under the TV pointed up at the listener). Not pictured are the two SBS-01 surrounds and the PB-12 NSD sub. I get a true 18hz-20Khz sound reproduction that remains within +/-2dB the entire way. I am about to add acustical panels in the room. This is roughly a 1500 dollar set up including the 12 gauge speaker wire. The panels should cost about 500 bucks when I am done, but it should get rid of my reflection points and help keep the front sound stage more centered. I also have a nasty standing wave from my sub that I will kill with a couple of bass traps in the corners.

The TV is a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD (4K TV that I got for 2K on sale). Best TV on the market, and has been professional calibrated.

The receiver is a Yamaha V663. Has Burr Brown DAC's on every single output signal. Super clean very flat response and matches great with the speakers. I got this for 350 bucks at Fry's, but its a 600 dollar receiver).

DVD player is a Samsung BD-up5000 HDDVD/Blu-Ray combo player. I have over 100 movies to go with it across both formats.

Game consoles are my wii with component and my 360 using component (non HDMI unit :/). I get 480p out of the wii and 720p out of the 360, but the upscaling on the Kuro is fantastic.. and since it is a plasma the "response time" is non existant.

The ugly silver box is my Time Warner 8300HD cable box.

Sitting on the sofa is my Harmony 880 universal remote.

Variable

Skittleguy said:
Yeah. The pen cap because I can't afford a better TV than the broke ass one. And I get 1080p thanks to my VGA box-converter thing.

Yours is the first real setup I've seen here. This is probably what most people have their gaming systems hooked up to around the world.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Skittleguy said:
Yeah. The pen cap because I can't afford a better TV than the broke ass one. And I get 1080p thanks to my VGA box-converter thing.

???

1080p = 1920x1080 (16:9).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
alr1ghtstart said:
???

1080p = 1920x1080 (16:9).

Actually, 1080p just refers to the horizontal scan lines. the vertical resolution can be anything and still be "1080p". That is how a lot of really shit LCD's get away with calling themselves HD.

Movement

NekoFever said:
I'm in my new place and I've got a dedicated room for my TV and games.

Here's an overview:

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09155/u112.jpg

This is the view of the TV itself:

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09155/view954.jpg

The setup's the same: 42" Panasonic plasma, Logitech Z-5400 5.1 system, Pioneer DV-400V DVD player (HDMI), UK 360 Elite (HDMI), US 60GB PS3 (HDMI), US Wii (component), and modded PAL PS2 (component). When I've got some shelving (see below) the Dreamcast will be connected up as well, via VGA. Tucked away on the left there is a Linksys WRT54GL running with the Tomato firmware in client mode, which is how I get the consoles on my network.

And here are my DVD/BDs and games - games are the ones going sideways down the left and Blu-rays are against the back wall. I'm building shelves for them around those two walls next week because I couldn't find anything suitable prebuilt.

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09155/e606.jpg

That's a nice setup you got there : )

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Lyte Edge, much love on your nerd room. Very nice. Crazy collection of figures. I would love to start collecting some myself, but my love goes to Super Robots and the prices on those tends to trend upwards. =/

Kintaro said:
Lyte Edge, much love on your nerd room. Very nice. Crazy collection of figures. I would love to start collecting some myself, but my love goes to Super Robots and the prices on those tends to trend upwards. =/

Make sure you have a room big enough, and decent display cabinets to accomodate your figures.

I'm having a serious issue with this. I have a shit ton of figures that are mostly in boxes. a 22inch Sauron statue in the box. No where to put my stuff really. And I do not get rid of boxes, ever.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dabookerman said:
Make sure you have a room big enough, and decent display cabinets to accomodate your figures.

I'm having a serious issue with this. I have a shit ton of figures that are mostly in boxes. a 22inch Sauron statue in the box. No where to put my stuff really. And I do not get rid of boxes, ever.

Oh, I'm not going to start collecting them. If I ever did, I would aim high. Like, really high. Like, transformable Gunbuster and Dangaioh high. =/

Kintaro said:
Oh, I'm not going to start collecting them. If I ever did, I would aim high. Like, really high. Like, transformable Gunbuster and Dangaioh high. =/

I aimed high.. and I don't want to go back down. What I always wanted was a 22inch Sauron, it is a thing of beauty, man. I must have spent at least £1000 on figures. £600 or so on MGS ones at that.

:_;

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Minor changes. 95% the same since last time.

My PC room, Two Plasmas, Samsung LCD and Crystal LCD. Want to get rid of the 77U for an all black Z-1.

Main room, 65" Sony. The multiplayer setup. Want to get rid of this for an Elite 60.

Den room, Pioneer. Mainly for relaxation.

258ar2t.jpg

2v9x36r.jpg

2vxf7zb.jpg

2s0h4sl.jpg

27ybwco.jpg

2u4rimq.jpg

f2r4zn.jpg

Not much, and my shitty camera is shitty.

The Xbox will probably be sold after I send it into Microsoft and get it back (It red-ringed tonight). I don't want that kind of liability. :lol

I will probably buy a new one when I am no longer unemployed though.

shuri

Banned
sorry the shitty picture quality.

123vayd.jpg

LOL PS3 UPDATING.

jfvx8j.jpg

106 inches screen, from my projector. I know it's not framed right in that picture, SHUT UP!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
salva said:
Is your wife one of those dolls by any chance?

I'm surprised to have only gotten one response like this. :lol Even the SA thread somebody started on those pictures wasn't as scathing as I thought it would be. Gonna have to try harder to nerd it up more next time. Maybe I need daggers on the walls?

My wife is a doll for putting up with this shit, I'll say that! :D

dabookerman said:
Awesome room Lyte Edge, I have a request:

Could you link/show me bigger pics of your figures plz :3

Also what do you do with all the boxes you get from them?

Ahaha, really? Most of them are from the old figure thread in OT.

I kept almost all the boxes for the medium and larger sized figures since they made for good padding when I sent them back to the States. All the boxes are in the attic now.

Jason said:
Are you stretching the picture on purpose? Looks like it's set to 1920x1200.

It is! That's the 1080p resolution on this monitor. Does SF4 looked stretched to you? It doesn't to me...

Kintaro said:

LOL thanks! I would not have all these figures (and posters, for that matter) if I didn't live overseas. Import prices are a little too high for me (I got most of them from recycle shops in Japan); I'd rather spend that money on games.

Right now I just want to get a new TV. That Samsung is so damn ugly and a lot of games are stretched off-screen. This Asus monitor is awesome for PS3 and 360, but pretty bad for everything else. Playing PS2 games on it through the PS3 also generally looks a lot worse than it did on my previous 720p monitor and my Bravia.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Right now I just want to get a new TV. That Samsung is so damn ugly and a lot of games are stretched off-screen. This Asus monitor is awesome for PS3 and 360, but pretty bad for everything else. Playing PS2 games on it through the PS3 also generally looks a lot worse than it did on my previous 720p monitor and my Bravia.
Go find a Pioneer Kuro before they are gone from the market. :p The prices are pretty good and the quality can't be beat. Love the room, by the way! :D Always good to see someone embrace the inner-nerd.

What kills me as a home theater installer, is how can ppl mount their flatscreens so high up on the wall? Who want to look UP for extended periods of time? Especially when your playing a game or watching a movie?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
dark10x said:
Go find a Pioneer Kuro before they are gone from the market. :p The prices are pretty good and the quality can't be beat. Love the room, by the way! :D Always good to see someone embrace the inner-nerd.

It would help if I had a job!

Alpha_eX

Most of my gaming is done on the 360 now, don't play it so much, there's a few games I have on rotation. I've changed my gaming set up so it ties in with my desk, I work from home so it's nice to be able to just turn on my chair and start gaming, just to have everything I need nicely in one area.

room_1.jpg

Overview of the main area, bookshelf, new desk, pc, laptop and TV.
TV is a Sony 32-V4000 and it's ace, notice the Wii and PS3 under the desk out of action...

room_2.jpg

PC and Laptop, notice the horrible monitor, yeah, my one died so had to dig this up.
Two great mice, Logitech VX Nano for laptop and the MX Revolution for PC.

room_3.jpg

Xbox Shelf, commonly played games and DVD boxsets along with gadgets I take out with me.

room_4.jpg

Toy shelf with gashapon hanging from the game storage cupboards above.
Really need to sort this shelf out, it's full of random stuff, not even a third of the total I own.

room_5.jpg

room_6.jpg

Some more games, dvds and work related stuff, mostly invoices and teacher training packs.

--

I've not taken pictures of the wardrobe that's got stacks of boxes on top from consoles and other bits. Next to that is the dvd shelves, one almost full of DS games. Above the main desk area is the game storage, for all my old games, there's over 400 up there...

Nice set Alpha_eX, I like how you have things with their own shelf. I'm trying to the same but I'm waiting until we move and get new furniture.

ibu

Not a very fancy set up at all... I am in a temporary place atm, whilst I look for somewhere up Camden.

So standard TV, console n clock, with Spiderman and Sackboy figurines.

2akftrm.jpg

Blyss

Banned
Temporary set-up, we don't have a lot of furniture here right now :)

Also, I'm still waiting for my camera so here's some shitty cellphone pictures for you guys:

PS3, 360, Gamecube, PS2, 26" Philips (which I will replace with a 42" when I finally get to pimp out my new room), Pip-boy, ...

o6lhci.jpg

2upfkv4.jpg

And I just had to honor my PC. He may look like a pussy to you, but believe me, he's not.

2vsmhag.jpg

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Here's some brand new pictures of my celibacy chamber. Gaze upon its glory... (apologies for the flash weirdness...it's really tough to capture the actual lighting setup)

Panorama.jpg

room.jpg

room1-1.jpg

room2-1.jpg

room3.jpg

room4.jpg

room5.jpg

room6.jpg

room7.jpg

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Tron999 said:
damn dude. that darko rabbit by your bed? I would never sleep again.

Nah, it's a Bioshock lithograph....that I now have two of following a snafu in the Take 2 store ordering system. Seriously...I'm going to end up with four posters total and an art book. And, they inexplicably refunded my money as well. Thanks, Take 2!

TomServo

grap3fruitman said:

I swear I just saw those on AVS.

BTW, thanks to this thead I got my ass in gear and got my media room cleaned up. New battery in the UPS, some cable management, sorted out some wiring errors that kept my NES from displaying and my HTPC from outputting audio, etc. Forgot how much I love that room, been spending too much time on the PC playing WoW.

elaments

Neo Member
Not a bad setup for a college student IMO but it consists of a 40 inch Samsung, Wii, PS3, N64 SNES, DTV HDDVR, and mini fridge of course. The monitor is also a flat screen Samsung.

IMG00019-20090527-1610.jpg

BdoUK

Finally did a major update to my home theater by purchasing a Pioneer Elite 151FD plasma. I also picked up a Salamander equipment rack to go along with it.

Here are some pics of my newly improved setup:

11i25wn.jpg

2r5swtj.jpg

123mys8.jpg

2e2eckx.jpg

ifu9nb.jpg

2q19fth.jpg

2dbt9hg.jpg

BdoUK said:
Finally did a major update to my home theater by purchasing a Pioneer Elite 151FD plasma. I also picked up a Salamander equipment rack to go along with it.

Here are some pics of my newly improved setup:

11i25wn.jpg

very nice. I have a similar setup/layout. Is that Salamander cabinet cherry or walnut color? I've been wanting a darker cabinet, but that walnut looks a bit darker than I want it.

Here's my setup. Very similar to yours:
salamander.jpg

Pioneer Elite Receiver/TV and a B&K Amp

Also, just got a new subwoofer. Velodyne DD-10
velodyne1.jpg

velodyne2.jpg

MoogPaul

Why not, I'm bored:

Excuse the wife, she's watching 27 Dresses... errr pay no attention to the vase on top of the unit. PS3, 360, and cable box hooked up via hdmi, the wii (which is behind the tv) and ps2 (under the ps3) via component cables, Dreamcast composite cables and snes is old school RF adapter bitches. Vinyls are in the box to the right (yes I know they aren't supposed to be stacked) and that horrible painting is done by my wife's friend so we can't get rid of it, yeay!

IMG_1160.jpg

DVDs on the left, games and cds on the right. Half of my DVDs are in the binder on the bottom, can't fit them all. Left all my NES stuff at my parents. 360, PS2, PS3, PSP stuff on top right, DS, GBA, PS1, Dreamcast second, and Gamecube/Wii on the third. Not crazy about the glass doors but the dog went through a "I'm going to eat your stuff" phase.

IMG_1161.jpg

This PC was going to be thrown out by my inlaws. Seemed real dumb, so I took it. Piece of junk but the monitor is pretty good. Mac mini behind the monitor. Standard Yamaha keyboard.

IMG_1162.jpg

Let's see. Acoustic guitar, bass guitar, violin, viola da gamba, viola, and there's a banjo hidden back there as well. I'm not sure where my wife put the cello...

IMG_1163.jpg

And my baby. The Moog Prodigy. IMO, king of the analog synths. Missing three knobs, kind of hard to find replacements...

IMG_1165.jpg

Sorry for the mess :D

btf1980

Here's mine.

Display
Pioneer Kuro 5010FD

Speakers
Bowers & Wilkins CM9 (Fronts)
Bowers & Wilkins CMC2 (Center)
Bowers & Wilkins CM1 (Rears)
JL Audio Fathom f112 (Subwoofer)

Headphones
Grado GS 1000i
Sennheiser HD650

Power/Amplification
Marantz AV8003 Pre/Pro
Marantz MM8003 Amp
PS Audio GCPH (Phonostage)
PS Audio GCHA (Headphone Amp)

Sources
Pro-Ject RM 6.1 SB Turntable w/ Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III
Marantz SA-15 Reference SACD Player
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player (Doubles as Multi-channel SACD and DVD-A player)
60GB PS3
Halo 3 Ed. Xbox 360,
Tivo HD

Power Conditioner
Richard Gray RGPC 400 Pro

Controller
Logitech Harmony 1100

Racks/Stands
BDI Deploy
Solid Tech Rack of Silence (Reference)
Butcher's Block (For turntable isolation)

DSC_0013-7.jpg

DSC_0015-5.jpg

DSC_0016-5.jpg

DSC_0020-3.jpg

DSC_0006-10.jpg

DSC_0003-15.jpg

DSC_0008-11.jpg

DSC_0010-7.jpg

DSC_0005-13.jpg

DSC_0006-11.jpg

DSC_0015-4.jpg

DSC_0009-8.jpg

DSC_0017-6.jpg

DSC_0021-3.jpg

DSC_0019-4.jpg

DSC_0007-11.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I just felt a lil' bit of nut roll down my legs... jesus christ, that setup is soooo clean. The colors are colors that just speak to me. Bravo, brother. Brav-fucking-o.

Mik2121

My computer:

gamesetup1.png

It's all a bit cluttered because I don't have much space in this house. All the books below the table are related to design. I usually have the pen tablet on the table, but I was drawing with pencils now so I had to put it somewhere else.
I built myself the computer and it's actually quite powerful. The only thing bad there is the mouse. My old mouse broke so I had to use a cheap one I had around here.

My TV, Wii and PS3:

gamesetup2.png

I bought the Wii on the release date and the PS3 when GTAIV got released. All the Wii games there are from the time-frame between the Wii release and the GTAIV release, because once I bought the PS3, I stopped playing with the Wii :/

ElyrionX

btf1980 said:
Speakers
Bowers & Wilkins CM9 (Fronts)
Bowers & Wilkins CMC2 (Center)
Bowers & Wilkins CM1 (Rears)

Jesus. I'm relatively new to home theater but are those top of the line B&Ws? May I ask how much they cost you?

NekoFever

I finally built the shelves for my DVDs and games that I'd been planning since my last post. The room's too small for me to get it into one shot, unfortunately.

14tlq95.jpg

2yvmjxj.jpg

The other new additions since I last posted are one of those BioShock lithographs, which I have framed on the wall:

2m2e6wh.jpg

And I now have a standalone Blu-ray player, a Samsung BD-P3600:

2d15xl.jpg

It's region B so I don't need to import region-locked movies to play on my US PS3, because that got a hell of a lot more expensive since the pound dropped in value. It's also faster and quieter than a PS3, has 7.1 analogue outs so I can get PCM and lossless audio on my £150 Logitech sound system, and saves wear and tear on the PS3's drive so I can leave it for games and region A movies.

Next on the shopping list is an upgraded sound system because I'm fast running out of inputs, so it might be time to invest in a proper AV receiver. Nothing too snazzy, but it will need to have three HDMIs and plenty of audio inputs.

btf1980

ElyrionX said:
Jesus. I'm relatively new to home theater but are those top of the line B&Ws? May I ask how much they cost you?

Nah, those aren't the top of the line B&W speakers.

These are the prices.

CM9 - $3000
CMC2 - $1250
CM1 - $1000 + $400 for the stands
JL Audio Fathom f112 sub adds another $2900

ElyrionX

btf1980 said:
Nah, those aren't the top of the line B&W speakers.

These are the prices.

CM9 - $3000
CMC2 - $1250
CM1 - $1000 + $400 for the stands
JL Audio Fathom f112 sub adds another $2900

I see. Are those cheaper than the 800 series speakers? How do they compare? What about the 600 series?

btf1980

ElyrionX said:
I see. Are those cheaper than the 800 series speakers? How do they compare? What about the 600 series?

Significantly cheaper than the 800 series. The 800 series are in a completely different league. I've owned the 805s in a different 2 channel setup driven by classe amps and it was awesome.

These are the prices for the 800 series.

800D - $22,000
801D - $18,000
802D - $14,000
803D - $9,000
803S - $6,000
804S - $5,000
805S - $2,800

The centers are expensive also. I know the HTM1D is $9,000. Not sure about the rest off hand.

The 600 series is very good. It offers a tremendous bang for the buck and value. However, it does not use a real wood housing, it uses a vinyl veneer.

However, the 800 series are not the top of the range. The Nautilus aka "Snails" are. You'd have to get on a waiting list if you want one.

A guy named Aldo who posts on a forum for B&W owners I post on has a pair. His setup could feed a small village, and that's not an embellishment.

Here's a link.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24794&highlight=aldo

To those of you with large TVs and projector screens who sit a fair distance away when playing, how is the Wii remote pointer? I'm considering getting a projector and I'm a bit concerned about how jittery the pointer may be.

ElyrionX

btf1980 said:
Significantly cheaper than the 800 series. The 800 series are in a completely different league. I've owned the 805s in a different 2 channel setup driven by classe amps and it was awesome.

These are the prices for the 800 series.

800D - $22,000
801D - $18,000
802D - $14,000
803D - $9,000
803S - $6,000
804S - $5,000
805S - $2,800

The centers are expensive also. I know the HTM1D is $9,000. Not sure about the rest off hand.

The 600 series is very good. It offers a tremendous bang for the buck and value. However, it does not use a real wood housing, it uses a vinyl veneer.

However, the 800 series are not the top of the range. The Nautilus aka "Snails" are. You'd have to get on a waiting list if you want one.

A guy named Aldo who posts on a forum for B&W owners I post on has a pair. His setup could feed a small village, and that's not an embellishment.

Here's a link.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24794&highlight=aldo

Interesting. I'm currently using entry-level speakers (Tannoy Mercury F Customs) but I am so damn tempted to upgrade. It's not going to happen soon, maybe a year or two later, but the B&W 600s are so tempting.

Is it really necessary to pair a seperate amp with these speakers or will AV receivers do just fine? Also, aren't the exposed tweeters a pain in the ass to deal with?

Top Bottom