Post Your Music [OT]

Nov 28, 2012
I don't usually share my music, because it's not good enough to be presentable, but considering this is a pretty small community I think it might be kind of fun to at least throw it out here. I tested out some basic Metal vocals for my last album, and I think the second track was probably the best one, which the link should directly take you to:

Please disregard the 3rd track and everything else on the channel lol

Feb 27, 2012
Finished a new track. Finally got a name for this new album I'm working on too.

https://shiftershapes.bandcamp.com/track/middle-points
I like it, BUT, the track is kind quiet. I can hardly hear the guitar, especially the higher strings are barely audible? Which is a shame since it could add a lot to the sound.
I know the pains of mixing classical guitars altough it seems your arrangement is fairly simple so it should be easier to push it a bit more.
Did you record everything on 1 mic in a single session?

If I'm being pedantic some parts could use a producer's "No no no, don't sing this phrase like this, let's redo this one more time", but it's absolutely ok to keep it honest as is.

All in all nice work :)

May 16, 2014
Delaware
I like it, BUT, the track is kind quiet. I can hardly hear the guitar, especially the higher strings are barely audible? Which is a shame since it could add a lot to the sound.
I know the pains of mixing classical guitars altough it seems your arrangement is fairly simple so it should be easier to push it a bit more.
Did you record everything on 1 mic in a single session?

If I'm being pedantic some parts could use a producer's "No no no, don't sing this phrase like this, let's redo this one more time", but it's absolutely ok to keep it honest as is.

All in all nice work :)
Thank you so much for being straight with me.

I'm a terrible mixer. Which is part of the reason why I don't often find myself 7 tracks deep on a song.

Guitar was tough cause it comes in really bassy and it drives me nuts.

I use GarageBnd for mixing and I got a way better mic than what I had before, but if you have any suggestions on presets or settings that could bring out the sound, I'd love to know!

Last edited:
May 16, 2014
Delaware
Not everything was recorded on a single session. Guitar and vocals together don't sound too great to me on one mic so I try and split the difference by playing the guitar first and then going back and singing.

Feb 27, 2012
Not everything was recorded on a single session. Guitar and vocals together don't sound too great to me on one mic so I try and split the difference by playing the guitar first and then going back and singing.
That's a good way to do yeah.

Yes the lower/mid frequencies are usually problematic with guitars. It is up to how you set up the mic position too, but you'll most likely need to EQ the track in any case.
All you need is just some EQ cuts on guitar and then I'm sure you can boost your master up quite a bit more.
If you send me the master wav file I can check what's happening real quick.

Feb 27, 2012
OK enough talking with no music, so here's one of the things I'm currently working on.

Our guitar ensemble is making a few new songs and I'm making arrangement and mixing for this wonderful piece (props to my brother).
I haven't really tackled the transitions, so they're not perfect. There's some rough parts naturally, some peaking, but it's slowly coming together.

I would prefer we rerecord vocals because they are off a few times (dont want to auto-tune) and need some serious remaking, but I would also love to do that when we get a better studio vocal mic. Right now we're mostly using our live setup for recordings.

Enjoy the first part (excuse the rought cut at the end).

Last edited:
May 16, 2014
Delaware
OK enough talking with no music, so here's one of the things I'm currently working on.

Our guitar ensemble is making a few new songs and I'm making arrangement and mixing for this wonderful piece (props to my brother).
I haven't really tackled the transitions, so they're not perfect. There's some rough parts naturally, some peaking, but it's slowly coming together.

I would prefer we rerecord vocals because they are off a few times (dont want to auto-tune) and need some serious remaking, but I would also love to do that when we get a better studio vocal mic. Right now we're mostly using our live setup for recordings.

Enjoy the first part (excuse the rought cut at the end).

Great mixing!

Oct 5, 2016
This thread is dedicated to all the musicians on GAF who write and record their own music. This is a place we can share our music creations.
Here's my contribution. I released these recently. Feedback appreciated. Don't forget to share yours and keep this thread going as we create new music.
You've got some cracking melodies on there Punks. You've probably heard it a few times, but some of those are gagging for house mixes.

Mar 26, 2017
Haven't done anything for ages but got a few days off so I had a quick mess around. It's not right but maybe once I get some proper echo on the drums and beef up the middle it might turn out ok

Dec 1, 2017
Was looking for some fresh ideas after completing a track and stumbled onto a neat trick.

I basically opened up an old file, selected all the midi events and used a command to reverse them. So the notes are inverted, but not quite reversed. I kept the structure the same. It actually worked in a strange way. It's interesting because while the song is in the same key, it sounds different, but still familiar. The timing was a bit off in some areas.

Next, I'll change the instruments/synths, reprogram the drums, since they don't make sense and see where it goes. Will post it if I remember.

ymoc

Feb 27, 2012
Helloooo....

It's a little quiet in here.

Heh :)

Anyway,
I had a little "ooooh" moment with one of my sound libraries last week, namely Action Strings. It's a library with some serious limitation if anyone is familiar with it. To the point, when I first tried it out it just didn't sound right. It felt super artificial, thin...just wrong.

Cue last week when I wanted to try to make an XCOM inspired track and I was again greeted with not having a suitable string library for fast paced writing (slow attacks, long releases etc.). Well, except for a couple articulations here and there (which are used in the track too).

Something made me load Action Strings up again and lo and behold I noticed a small print text next to some string patters. It was a number. And it got to me. It was the intended BPM to be used for the track.
I matched the tracks tempo to the library and sure thing things started sounding quite nice!!! I felt like an idiot. Sounds weren't warped unnaturally anymore.

I finally had some nice fast paced strings and with what time I had after working a second job this month I went on building perhaps a slightly generic track, but I'm just making excuses.

What I'm wandering is how close to the "am I there yet" is this?
My skills to mix and master for a quick project can only push me this far right now.

Clicky here

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Finally stopped being a procrastinating little bastard and made a new track.

It took an embarrassingly long time to master/mix. I'm open to tips for cutting down on mixing time if anyone has any. As it is, its a laborious process where a track can sound awesome in my headphones but when I play it through my stereo, the levels are all off and it sounds like shit.

Feb 27, 2012
Finally stopped being a procrastinating little bastard and made a new track.

It took an embarrassingly long time to master/mix. I'm open to tips for cutting down on mixing time if anyone has any. As it is, its a laborious process where a track can sound awesome in my headphones but when I play it through my stereo, the levels are all off and it sounds like shit.
I like it. 80s vibe with hints of 90s.
Blade Runner inspired?

I do know the pains of mixing&mastering. Do you use any professional reference tracks to compare your mix? That can really help sometimes.
I can't really give much tips for improving the track. The low mids do sound very prominent though. There's a lot of competition in those ranges from your synths.

Feb 18, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I like it. 80s vibe with hints of 90s.
Blade Runner inspired?

I do know the pains of mixing&mastering. Do you use any professional reference tracks to compare your mix? That can really help sometimes.
I can't really give much tips for improving the track. The low mids do sound very prominent though. There's a lot of competition in those ranges from your synths.
Thanks! I love synthwave and recently watched Bladerunner 2049 for the first time and wanted to try my hand at something that would fit in with that world. I've never tried using any professional reference tracks for comparison but I'm willing to try anything that can help cut down on mastering time. Writing and composing is easy but the mastering process drives me insane.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff member
Jul 9, 2018
X-Com inspired music.....

I hadn’t thought of that...

Like... original xcom???

(Years of my life chucking light sticks around in the dark to the sound of ‘dum dum dum dum dum dum...’ )