• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Potential for China to join TPP' after US withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Despite originally excluding Beijing, Australian officials have suggested a "potential for China to join" the TPP free trade agreement. US President Donald Trump has ordered a withdrawal, saying it hurt American workers.

"The original architecture was to enable other countries to join," Ciobo later told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. "Certainly I know that Indonesia has expressed interest and there would be scope for China if we are able to reformulate it."

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull later said that "there is the potential for China to join the TPP," while New Zealand Prime Minister Bill English stated that Beijing "hasn't been slow to spot the opportunity" to cast itself as a free trade supporter.

Former President Barack Obama's administration purposefully excluded China from the agreement in a bid to set the rules for free trade in the region before Beijing could, a part of Obama's "pivot to Asia" policy.

English said the US' decision to cede influence in the region to China would open the door to alternative trade deals. "We've got this RCEP (Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership) agreement with Southeast Asia, which up until now has been on a bit of a slow burn but we might find the political will for that to pick up if TPP isn't going to proceed," he said.

Meanwhile, Mexico and Chile have voiced their support for pursuing free trade deals with the remaining nations.

More here

http://m.dw.com/en/potential-for-china-to-join-tpp-after-us-withdrawal/a-37246494

Make China Great Again if old

Ishan

I doubt china would but if they do they just extend their geopolitical power quite a bit at the expense of the Chinese populace ... For now .

Edit don't see Beijing considering this realistically tho ,

brian577

Banned
China could never follow the stringent copyright laws, counterfeit goods are just too ingrained in their society.

China could never follow the stringent copyright laws, counterfeit goods are just too ingrained in their society.
It's a negotiation, I can see that being dropped. I think it was pushed for by American companies like Disney and wasn't particularly consumer friendly if I remember correctly.

Geist-

Ya, sincerely doubt they would do it unless we start seeing some indication from the Chinese government that they want to start following western standards.

Australia: wow, America is fucked with Trump in power. Who else we got? Ooooh, hi China! Remember us? Your Oceanic buddies!

Neo C.

China could demand some changes and everyone will follow, because it's still a win for most countries.
It would be funny (actually, not really funny) if TPP continue to exist but with China as the epicenter and the US excluded. It couldn't be more ironic.

Excuse my ignorance but since it's being brought up so much right now can someone explain to me in layman's terms what the TPP is and its pros/cons to being apart of it? Also which countries are currently involved.

China could demand some changes and everyone will follow, because it's still a win for most countries.
It would be funny (actually, not really funny) if TPP continue to exist but with China as the epicenter and the US excluded. It couldn't be more ironic.

US is fucked either way thanks to Trump. Atleast we could attach this to Trump and Republicans.

Mr.Mike

Even without China, or the US, Japan has expressed their intention to carry it through. And I think we (Canada) should definitely sign on, now more than ever.

badrang

muh factory jobs!

free trade is bad!

globalists!corportists!

Not even a week and the Donald is already during irreversible damage. The OT feed is horrifying.

duckroll

You do realize that the majority of what Americans and American media paid attention to in the TPP were specific conditions pushed by America which would be favorable to American businesses. That's the point of a trade agreement, give and take. With America out of the picture, most of what is important only to America in the TPP is no longer a concern.

You do realize that the majority of what Americans and American media paid attention to in the TPP were specific conditions pushed by America which would be favorable to American businesses. That's the point of a trade agreement, give and take. With America out of the picture, most of what is important only to America in the TPP is no longer a concern.
I think the other thing was giving the American pharmaceutical industry more protection (again, bad for consumers), so if that's out of the picture as well the deal doesn't look that bad anymore.

shem935

Banned
Yeah, how can people not see this?

Because TPP and it's opposition that, while originally with some valid concerns, spun wildly out of control into an internet meme that couldn't justify it's existence. It was always a geopolitical move to hedge against chinese expansion. That's why obama didn't drop it and wanted to push it through. Because he always wanted to pivot away from the middle east towards asia.

Even without China, or the US, Japan has expressed their intention to carry it through. And I think we (Canada) should definitely sign on, now more than ever.

Yeah I'm with you. With or without the US I still think it's a good deal.

And with China depending on how that goes it could be even better. Their middle class is exploding. There's a lot of opportunity for investment and exports to China.

Usobuko

Banned
Unlikely China will join TPP, they have their own alternative announced like 2-3 years back to combat TPP. I can't remember the term atm.

If anything, China will push their own model more intensely. My country is in both pact iirc.

The situation is just like institution for infrastructure development in Asia, AIIB ( China-lead ) against ADB ( US-lead ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom