• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential Snowstorm Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
To be honest, I won't believe any snow till I see it on the ground. I have a tough time believing what most meteorologists say since it's mostly based on probability and computer simulations.

Your best bet is to wait till the day before to potentially get a more accurate forecast, and then any storm system that comes through might miss your area completely.

I'm hoping for a dry, snowless winter since I'd like to avoid getting stuck in traffic because of it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Fucking shit. I just went to the gym today with shorts and a tshirt. I was kind of hoping Winter wasn't coming this year lol

DoomGyver

We'll probably get snow, but heck it should melt on contact. Now if it had been below freezing for a couple of weeks I'd be worried.

I swear, if the power goes out at my house because of a snowstorm the weekend that PS4 comes out I'm going to be super pissed.

Griegite

still a junior
I don't trust weather models that are almost a week away. When the models are predicting this 3 days away, I'll start thinking about the possibility of snow.

Konka

Banned
I don't trust weather models that are almost a week away. When the models are predicting this 3 days away, I'll start thinking about the possibility of snow.

The models showed Sandy from over a week away. Well the Euro, which is the latest map in this thread.

neoism

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...2.430992.338552703351&type=1&relevant_count=1

41bxaYM.jpg

im in that little circle byee gaf :***(

I saw hail/snow for a minute or two today, was really random and it was freezing.

the snowmagedon is coming, and on PS4 launch week too, hmmmmmm

sphagnum

Banned
Ugh stay out of New Jersey please. Already have enough car problems as it is, don't need to add shoveling and dealing with bad drivers to the list.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I live in Texas and the only snow I've ever seen here was a freak system in November when the planets aligned just right and conditions came together for a whopping 3 inches of snow in the Houston area. It was fucking magical, shit stayed on the ground until noon the next day.

slit

I'm bumping this to show the inaccuracies of accuweather.

Where was this huge snowstorm?

They're a bunch of liars and Facebook helped it along. :p

Retro

Meh, I can't tell if you're serious here, but if they didn't warn people of the potential storm their models were suggesting, people would be pointing back saying "why weren't we warned in advance of this?!". Predicting more than a week out with any accuracy tends to be difficult, but they still have to try. They were very careful to not sensationalize it either (which the Weather Channel does all the fucking time, to be fair), just look at the language in the report; may set the table, are likely, should be, may help a storm form, need to be ironed out, it is likely, potentially.

A few storm scenarios exist...
Another possible option..
A third scenario...

Hell, they even said "Yeah, we're probably wrong, here's why."
Goldberg added that this era of improved weather forecasting technology is a double-edged sword. He said the ability to predict a potential snowstorm a week in advance is great but leaves meteorologists with several days where it's hard to pinpoint specifics.
Please ignore if my sarcasm detector is broken.

slit

Meh, I can't tell if you're serious here, but if they didn't warn people of the potential storm their models were suggesting, people would be pointing back saying "why weren't we warned in advance of this?!". Predicting more than a week out with any accuracy tends to be difficult, but they still have to try. They were very careful to not sensationalize it either (which the Weather Channel does all the fucking time, to be fair), just look at the language in the report; may set the table, are likely, should be, may help a storm form, need to be ironed out, it is likely, potentially.

A few storm scenarios exist...
Another possible option..
A third scenario...

Hell, they even said "Yeah, we're probably wrong, here's why."
Please ignore if my sarcasm detector is broken.

I know, I was only being half-serious. It got sensationalized through Facebook though so I'll just blame them. Damn Facebook.

Retro

I know, I was only being half-serious. It got sensationalized through Facebook though so I'll just blame them. Damn Facebook.

Yep, that's what I figured but I can never be sure.

Facebook is definitely a better place the blame though. For everything.

There was snow in my part of NYC (Queens) a few days ago.

No accumulation whatsoever but it was nice to see.

Lamel

Banned
Yeah, there was 1 inch in a supposed 12-14 inch region. Goes to show that weather is unpredictable until you're very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom