• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerdrome impressions (xbox)

spangler

I'm always hesitant to pick up strange budget titles with awful box-art, but I couldn't resist Powerdrome. As I'm sure many of you know, this is an update of a classic Amiga futuristic racer (although I've never played the original). The head of this update was apparently also the producer of the original.

I've only played a couple of races so far but it seems pretty cool. The graphics are nice and the 16x9 support is appreciated. There appears to be a healthy number of tracks (24 it seems) and a variety of cliched racers. The game is quite speedy even on the first two tracks. These two are all that are unlocked at the beginning of the game. It is possible to play on xbox live as well, but I haven't had a chance yet. Apparently there is a lot of lag when more than 3 people are racing together, though.

Aside from the dreadful box art, this seems decent so far. I really like that there are no weapons in the game (ala F-Zero) as I prefer actually racing to blowing stuff up in these futuristic racers. If anyone else took a chance on this goofy sum'bitch, I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

spangler

Yeah, it is playable on x-box live. From what I understand, it runs well with 2 or 3 players but gets very laggy with more than that. From looking around the web, I gather that this may actually be a problem with the net code as the developers are looking at the problem currently with an eye towards releasing a patch in the future. As the game was not developed by Capcom (hello Line of Contact!) perhaps this really will be cleared up in the future.

Even with this problem, the game retails for $30 and has kept me entertained this afternoon. It definitely reminds me of wipeout sans weaponry, which is a good thing in my mind.

IgeL

Yeah this has gone under the radar... very little hype. How's it compared to Quantum Redshift?

Me wants QR 2. :(

spangler

I like it more than Quantum Redshift, but I didn't like ol' QR much to begin with. It wasn't a horrible game, but it just didn't distinguish itself to me in any real way. I didn't play it that much back when I owned it (which was quite awhile back) so don't be offended if Redshift is your favorite game ever or something. I'm not exactly an authority on the matter. I would say that Powerdrome is much faster at the beginning levels than QR was at its beginning levels; can't really comment on the progression, obviously. Again, the lack of weaponry is a big plus to me.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Im still stinging from the cancellation of the Live enabled QR2. That game rocked me hard.

Gregory

Banned
I got nauseus when playing this game, first time I ever experienced that from a game. The game seemed pretty average though, not anywhere close to Quantum Redshift, imo.

IgeL said:
Yeah this has gone under the radar... very little hype. How's it compared to Quantum Redshift?

Me wants QR 2. :(

I don't like it as much but Power Drome is surprisingly decent anyway. The graphics are simple, the racers are cliche but it does have a good sense of speed. I really like the "camera shake" what helps with the sense of speed, kind of like drag racing in NFS: Underground.

The tracks seem to be longer and less curvy than QR so it's all about speed and less about hitting the turns right.

Top Bottom