• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: PlayStation Move Sales Reach Over 4.1 Million...(shipped to retail)

onken

shwimpy said:
They're finally making a profit off each console sold after 4 years and you want them to ignore that and continue to lose money? Yeah... not happening any time soon.

Christ did you even read my posts? The sooner you drop the price, the sooner people sitting on the fence buy one. The longer they own the console, the more games and accessories they purchase. So my point is surely they would make that money back.

The flip side is, you don't drop the price for another year, so potential buyers just sit on the fence and wait for the price drop. Yes, in the end they still buy it when the price finally does drop, but you're missing out on all the potential purchases they would have been making if they'd owned the console a year earlier.

duk said:
6 months, thought the SDF would have remembered.

Uh they were released almost exactly 12 months apart in the US, 11 months in Japan and about 15 months apart in Europe, so I have no idea what you're smoking.

e~ oh quick edit

Woo-Fu

Banned
onken said:
Christ did you even read my posts? The sooner you drop the price, the sooner people sitting on the fence buy one.

Anybody sitting on the fence this long has splinters in their ass.

duk

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Well, Nintendo was third last gen and not only moved to the next round... they moved into the winners circle.

don't worry, #1 last gen moving to *maybe* #2 this gen is totally acceptable

onken

Woo-Fu said:
Anybody sitting on the fence this long has splinters in their ass.

Shrug, PS2 got the majority of its sales after it had hit 199. Pretty sure the 360 had a big uptick as well as soon as they released the 199 arcade. It's definitely seems to be the magic number for whatever reason.

fanboi

Banned
Wait, how did I end in a NPD thread?

*Checks title*

Wait, have a mod changed the original NPD title?

*Checks OP*

Oh gaf...

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
OldJadedGamer said:
Just curious... what is the big prize for the winner of second place 6 years after the generation started?

Nelson HaHaa.jpg for the third place company of course.

I love current generation. I get a lot of games, graphics are good enough for me and I have too many games to play even on a one console household. Well, there is PC of course but still.

I wonder when did you change the topic from Move sales into console sales territory? You seem to pull out accurate numbers on GAF vs. worldwide sales penetration of Move per household very nicely. Can I see those statistics too. Honestly.

jcm

onken said:
Christ did you even read my posts? The sooner you drop the price, the sooner people sitting on the fence buy one. The longer they own the console, the more games and accessories they purchase. So my point is surely they would make that money back.

The flip side is, you don't drop the price for another year, so potential buyers just sit on the fence and wait for the price drop. Yes, in the end they still buy it when the price finally does drop, but you're missing out on all the potential purchases they would have been making if they'd owned the console a year earlier.

On the other hand, you've got much more revenue in the intervening year. A $100 price cut at their current sales rate is $1.5B in lost revenue. I think it's highly unlikely they'll drop $100 all at once. There's probably some additional demand at $250 that they won't want to miss.

Sony and MS have both obviously decided to try to extend the generation and focus on profits. Cutting the price of a strong-selling system by a third doesn't serve that goal.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I think it's useless to argue to a big company about their prices. You can be sure that they have calculated the cost effectiveness of current sales, detailed the component prices and special deals with manufacturers, and estimated what a pricedrop would bring to the table.
You can however as a company also just estimate and make that gamble with a pricedrop now.
It's easier to gamble in front of a computer at NeoGAF than in a meeting room full of investors arguing against you.

On the current topic:
What are the sales in each country? Are there some statistics about that.
I know for sure that Finland has a huge shortage of Move, and we definitely need more, but it is clearly not global. How is the situation in other countries? Can you show me some news articles or stats somewhere?

Suzzopher

daxter01 said:
its better than being in third place for two generation in a row

Weren't Microsoft second last gen? Could end up going from 2nd to 3rd.

Why are people arguing about finishing second:lol Who in their right mind would find second place acceptable:lol

Best things that we can get from this gen as gamers is all three consoles are popular and the games are great.

Massa

OldJadedGamer said:
Just curious... what is the big prize for the winner of second place 6 years after the generation started?

Might as well ask Microsoft about that - I remember Don Mattrick making a big deal about "we will finish ahead of Sony in worldwide sales" a couple of E3's ago.

Suzzopher said:
Why are people arguing about finishing second:lol Who in their right mind would find second place acceptable:lol

In the end.. profit matters most to companies. All 3 seem do be doing well, so maybe the "place" they end is only important to fanboys.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Suzzopher said:
Weren't Microsoft second last gen? Could end up going from 2nd to 3rd.

Best things that we can get from this gen as gamers is all three consoles are popular and the games are great.
wait ms was 2 second place last gen?I always thought they were third

Suzzopher

NemesisPrime said:
In the end.. profit matters most to companies. All 3 seem do be doing well, so maybe the "place" they end is only important to fanboys.

Exactly. I don't get why people want to get an argument over it. All three home platforms are competitive and that's great for all three of the platform holders.

Suzzopher said:

This. Hopefully some of the new gamers will migrate onto more traditional games. As development costs go up we'll need more people to buy the games.

Shurs

duk said:
don't worry, #1 last gen moving to *maybe* #2 this gen is totally acceptable

Isn't that the way the cycle has worked in the past?

No one has been "on top" for three consecutive console generations.

Edit: What's really wild is that the 3rd place console this generation will likely sell as many units as the original Xbox and Game cube combined.

Suzzopher

Galvanise_ said:
This. Hopefully some of the new gamers will migrate onto more traditional games. As development costs go up we'll need more people to buy the games.

This is the biggest worry in the industry right now. It's a quiet worry but one that is very real. The feeling is there are too many games and not enough people to buy them. Maybe gaming is attractive the wrong audience?

OldJadedGamer said:

We get to point and laugh at Don Mattrick? I don't know. He seemed awfully confident at E3 2008. He obviously had Kinect in mind when he said that, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

Sony have experience in supporting a previous gen console at the same time as promoting and selling a new console. The PS2 is still a sales success every year. Sony also have the studios to manage releases and ports for the older console.

It'll be Microsofts first go at keeping two console fanbases happy next gen. I suspect Sony will plug a few of the gaps in the online community aspects too. Will be an interesting battle.

Baki

onken said:

Uh they were released almost exactly 12 months apart in the US, 11 months in Japan and about 15 months apart in Europe, so I have no idea what you're smoking.

e~ oh quick edit

By fall 2011, they should be in a position to release a super slim @ $199. Provided they get rid of an internal PSU. Simply because an external PSU means less internal cooling needed and you can have a smaller casing overall.

Baki said:
By fall 2011, they should be in a position to release a super slim @ $199. Provided they get rid of an internal PSU. Simply because an external PSU means less internal cooling needed and you can have a smaller casing overall.

No, and get outta here with that crap. They shouldn't do another redesign until they can have a smaller footprint with an INTERNAL PSU.

Zoe

Baki said:

What good is having a smaller case when you have to worry about space for a brick?

JWong

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Wait, isn't this thread about PS Move? How did we get on this subject? o_O
Maybe they're talking about a PS3 slim Move where the PS3 is reduced to a size where it fits a Move controller. 8D

DMeisterJ said:
Wait, isn't this thread about PS Move? How did we get on this subject? o_O

Because of this guy:

canova said:
I think we know that for sure.

360 is beating PS3 in the U.S. PS3 is beating the 360 in Japan. These 2 numbers cancel each other out.

Then comes the European number. Thanks to Europe, PS3 manages to catch up to 360 all this time.

sajj316

OldJadedGamer said:
Because of this guy:

Oh how easy it is to jump into the rabbit hole.

Anyway, back on topic .. I added +1 to the sale yesterday and am loving it. By the end of the month I'll probably make it another +3.

Household <3 Waggle!

Top Bottom