• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-E3 Interview with Capcom's Christian Svensson on Wii, PSN DRM, RE4+CVX HD & More

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kafel said:
The first sentence of his answer is quite clear though. They didn't see at first it would be an almost "casuals only" system. Ubi got it early.
That's how it comes across to me, too

wrowa

farnham said:
i said i regret it

pretty much implies that i blame myself
You are blaming yourself by boycotting Capcom games. But not due to the quality of the games, but because of the console they are being released on. That sounds more like someone is unreasonably angry ;p

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was a great title...though I think it was odd of them to do it exclusive. As a third party they should start off, on the cafe, leveraging 360/PS3 development with the Cafe to get a foothold on that sytem while not wasting valuable resources to build that fanbase while the other two systems next gens roar in. Though their support for the 3DS seems to be fading...and nothing on NGP.

aeolist

Banned
cjelly said:
IGN: Any regrets with the Wii?

Svensson: I think like much of the industry, I wish I knew what it was going to be a year before it actually became apparent what it was going to be, in terms of market acceptance. I don't know that there's any publisher you could speak to going into that window that would have said "It's going to be that."
To me that clearly references the ridiculous launch sales and perpetual shortages, not any kind of commentary on the demographics.

The Wii ended up as a casual system because that's the kind of game Nintendo put out at the beginning and everyone else just released ports, shovelware, or the occasional rare original idea with zero support. He's saying that if they'd realized it would be so huge a year before it happened they would have supported it more.

Alrus

aeolist said:
To me that clearly references the ridiculous launch sales and perpetual shortages, not any kind of commentary on the demographics.

The Wii ended up as a casual system because that's the kind of game Nintendo put out at the beginning and everyone else just released ports, shovelware, or the occasional rare original idea with zero support. He's saying that if they'd realized it would be so huge a year before it happened they would have supported it more.

Indeed that's what he's saying, those two folks are just trolling.

fernoca

wrowa said:
If you buy a game because you think that you will get another, completely different game later down the road if you do so, you have no one to blame but yourself, though. Compared to most other 3rd party developers, Capcom's Wii support was golden, at least during the earlier days.
At the same time, I think (someone from) Capcom was the one that talked about that (buying RE-Wii games to get more); hence how the "Capcom Tests"-kind of meme started.

And since we failed the tests, no more RE games! :p
Heck, they said that Wii wasn't capable of running the title-screen of RE5.....to then admit being shocked at what Cavia did with Darkside Chronicles.

scitek

The reality is the only secure mechanism is the network. So unless the network becomes so pervasive that devices are never disconnected it's a challenge. We're there with some of them, like the iPhone.

Wat, you can't pirate things on the iPhone?

scitek

aeolist said:
iOS has a huge piracy rate, people just don't complain about it because it also has huge sales numbers.

Yeah, I get that he means the iPhone's always connected, but holy shit, way to pretend it's a secure system.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kusagari said:
Should have asked about AAI2.

Yes. That would've been helpful.

I'm also completely shocked they have forgotten about RE:pSP. It's kinda a Last Remant PS3 situation. :/

Defuser

IGN: Where is Resident Evil Portable?

Svensson: Oh, Resident Evil Portable. That is definitely to be determined.

IGN: There was speculation that it was originally Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City for PSP but was later moved to consoles…

Svensson: I can promise you there was absolutely nothing connected between the two.
So basically he doesn't know jackshit about it.

fernoca said:
At the same time, I think (someone from) Capcom was the one that talked about that (buying RE-Wii games to get more); hence how the "Capcom Tests"-kind of meme started.

And since we failed the tests, no more RE games! :p
Heck, they said that Wii wasn't capable of running the title-screen of RE5.....to then admit being shocked at what Cavia did with Darkside Chronicles.

No, you passed the test. Have some shitty railshooters.

Defuser said:
So basically he doesn't know jackshit about it.

I can tell you that Capcom is working very closely with Sony on this title, as it's something that both companies have wanted on the PSP for quite some time. It's not a "remake" of a previous RE game, but an all-new title created specifically for the PSP platform, with the PSP Go in mind. I've managed to sneak a look at a very early game design document for this title and all I am allowed to say is: Wow. Totally different for a Resident Evil game. More in the future, promise!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/kramez/blog/2009/06/08/capcom_e3_mystery_title_2_resident_evil_psp

That's really the last time that we heard any news on it. I guess it's possible that it was moved to the PSP2.

MiniDitka

spyborgs-screenshots-abducted-20080602103541324.jpg

:D

cjelly said:

Svensson said:
I think like much of the industry, I wish I knew what it was going to be a year before it actually became apparent what it was going to be, in terms of market acceptance. I don't know that there's any publisher you could speak to going into that window that would have said "It's going to be that." Maybe Ubisoft did, they're the only ones that bet really heavily out of the gate on it. But I'm not sure if they capitalized on it any better than we did in the end.
It means Capcom's paltry support done as well as Ubisoft's "heavy support" of casual titles. I'm glad Capcom is willing to admit their errors, maybe others will follow.

Mael

AceBandage said:
Nice to see a developer admit they had their heads up their asses when it came to the Wii.
Even though he's full of it, Ubisoft is very pleased that Capcom and the others never even tried like it happened in the West on the DS.
Even if RS2 bombed, they made more than enough on all their other products, I think it's safe to say Capcom can't say as much.

BishopLamont said:
It means Capcom's paltry support done as well as Ubisoft's "heavy support" of casual titles. I'm glad Capcom is willing to admit their errors, maybe others will follow.

You'll have to tell me which Wii title Capcom did that did as well as Just Dance...

Hero

Other than one or two answers the rest is just bullshit. Fuck Capcom.

Dead Rising 2 Case West has to rank as one of the most ridiculous concepts they're trying to sell to consumers.

"Oh hey guys, here's DR2. We know you loved Frank West but he's not in this one, buy it anyway."

A year later.

"Oh hey guys, remember how you told us you loved Frank West? We replaced Chuck with Frank and retooled the game slightly. Buy it again!"

It's actually a cool concept to play the same game as two different characters with two different sets of moves and abilities. I wish someone had made a game like that.

Oh wait--

MegaMan%20X4.jpg

Double dipping greedy corporation. Sink into oblivion since apparently you're not even greenlighting MML3.

i can't possibly think of a dumber move by capcom on the RE:p thing than to cancel it.

-finish it
-move it to NGP and finish it

those are pretty much the options. if i were a betting man that was also an optimistic man i would bet that it got moved to NGP. they probably canceled it, because this is capcom we're talking about here.

Boney

Banned
Kafel said:
The first sentence of his answer is quite clear though. They didn't see at first it would be an almost "casuals only" system. Ubi got it early.
What casual titles did Ubi have at launch? I guess.. rabbids?

That's a pretty good stretch though

donny2112

MiniDitka said:
uvs090226-003.jpg

Good times :)

Just got around to finishing that this year. Good game for < $20. Definitely had a good RE4 controller setup going for it.

On the Wii comments, pretty sure he's referring to Ubisoft's launch window lineup. Ubisoft supported Wii with regular type games, but they mostly stunk. That's why he doesn't know if Ubisoft capitalized on the early window any better than Capcom did. I do not think he is referring to much later titles like Just Dance. Just the early window on the console before that window "closed," as he mentions in his response.

Hopefully that means a competent port-fest, at the least, for Cafe's launch.

Boney said:
What casual titles did Ubi have at launch? I guess.. rabbids?

Yeah, seems like Kafel's just being purposefully obtuse here.

Edit:
Maybe Ubisoft did, they're the only ones that bet really heavily out of the gate on it.

He's clearly talking about launch window here, and thus, not referring to later titles like Just Dance.

Vinci

Danish
That is the most honest answer I've ever read from a 3rd party about the Wii. Holy shit. Kudos, you beautiful bastard.

daffy

Banned
Sounds like Res Portable was announced as an idea, similar to Agent and FFXIV and Rising lolz.

I guess this all but assures its a Vita release then. Or to be silently canned.

Why didn't they ask about Ace Attorney Investigations 2? >_<

Anyway, weird interview. A few honest answers mixed amidst the defensive swerving.

Also, Chuck > Frank. The obsession Capcom has with Frank West is so strange. "He's the answer to all problems!"

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Persona7 said:
I wonder if the resident evil ports will use that online only drm
If they do, I won't buy them. I didn't buy BC2 or Final Fight specifically because of that DRM.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
bone_and_sinew said:
If they do, I won't buy them. I didn't buy BC2 or Final Fight specifically because of that DRM.
Same with me. There are plenty of other companies that want my money and doesn't implement bullshit like this.

Icarus

Seems like a really honest, straight forward guy. As others have said, I wish more companies had execs like him.

Andvary

We were trying to see what impact, if any, on sales there was if we used it, both from a piracy and/or a game-sharing standpoint. The result for both cases was that there is no impact, negative or positive

Well, I didn't buy it because the shitty DRM mr. capcom guy.

Teknoman

farnham said:
i really regret buying capcom games on the wii. especially the RE games in the hope of getting a RE game with the RE4 controlls

not going to make that mistake again

capcom games on nintendo platforms i will buy only if i get it for 20 euros on zavvi.com etc

Hey RE4 Wii edition, Zack & Wiki, and Tatsunoko were fun.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Thank god Japan hasn't "caught on" to DD yet so I don't have to suffer their bullshit DRM. As long as there is a disc option I will -always- take it.

BishopLamont said:
Ok you got me there, but I think luck is more of a factor than their amount of support.
Luck has nothing to do with a title selling a shit ton of units. They obviously did something right. Just because it's a different idea doesn't mean it's lucky.

DiscoJer

FTH said:
Sounds like Res Portable was announced as an idea, similar to Agent and FFXIV and Rising lolz.

I guess this all but assures its a Vita release then. Or to be silently canned.

I think it was more like MH3 on the PS3...ended up going to another system. 3DS in this case, as Revelations.

Which explains why it was so much further in development than pretty much anything else on the 3DS when the 3DS was revealed, and why it looks so much better than anything else...part of what a game looks like is obviously hardware, but it's also production values.

Reilly

LiK said:
Read the full article and not a single question about DmC.

I talked to Christian in October (interview here) and asked about DMC then (questions below). Since I only got 30 mins this time and they haven't shown anything since TGS, I didn't feel it was worth spending time asking about DMC again. I plan to talk to Christian again this fall.

IGN: Capcom announced a new Devil May Cry title at TGS. It's being developed by Ninja Theory, who worked Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. Can you talk about the decision behind that? Is this going to be their breakout game?

Svensson: Inafune himself has been intimately involved for more than a year literally on every design decision, including character and direction, that's ever been done on the project. Devil May Cry has been in pre-production for well over a year, probably 18 months now if I recall. It's a very collaborate effort.

I'd actually say Heavenly Sword was [Ninja Theory's] breakout game. It sold really well. Part of the reason we picked them is they have demonstrated the ability and raw capabilities of creating a credible action game and I think Enslaved does them another favor; it's a new IP, which is a massive challenge. It's getting good reviews and has excellent storytelling. And I think excellent storytelling is something the Devil May Cry series could actually use more of. So that's one of the reasons why they were picked.

When you look across at all of the potential partners that we could pick from external developers to work on something, they made a very short list of people who've shipped anything that is a credible action game. I think with input from [chief director] Hideaki Itsuno, in particular on the fight mechanics; they're going to do to the Devil May Cry series what Blue Castle did to the Dead Rising series.

There were all of the same cries and screams when we announced a western developer was doing Dead Rising 2. I think the uphill challenge that Ninja Theory faces is they are using Dante, which has a whole lot of baggage associated with it where Blue Castle put Frank West on the shelf and invented new locations and characters. Coming out at the other end, the Devil May Cry franchise will be better for it. I understand what the initial reaction from fans was; we get it. I think, though, we've earned the right to ask for you to wait until you see more.

IGN: What about the new design of Dante? Is it final? Could it possibly be changed going forward?

Svensson: The original concepts that came back for Dante were actually extremely close to the Dante everyone knows and loves. The feedback that came back from Inafune and Itsuno was, 'No guys, this needs to be completely different, we need you to go much further and be much more creative. And literally dozens of potential iterations later became what we as a team felt comfortable and actually happy with.

I will argue that any changes will bring about a knee-jerk reaction from fans. We know that; we knew that going into it. To be fair, I think some of the strategy here was to create that discussion and dialogue, and I think it drastically raises the visibility of the title versus if we had just done another Dante.

This is meant to be an origin story, so this is Dante before you knew who Dante was. There is going to be some interesting changes and twists to what people think they know about Dante or where he came from. We aren't planning on deviating greatly from the path that is there.

There may still be some tweaks here or there - I'm not privy to what's going on - but by and large that will be the direction the team is going down.

Dahbomb

The hush on MVC3 is killing me!!!

I know Capcom has content in the bag that they want to unleash.

STRIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

farnham

Banned
wrowa said:
You are blaming yourself by boycotting Capcom games. But not due to the quality of the games, but because of the console they are being released on. That sounds more like someone is unreasonably angry ;p
it is actually unreasonable anger

im not even denying that

but hey.. its no boycott but rather placing capcom games in the usual game buying habit (ie buying their games used or in the bargain bin rather then buying them brand new when they are released to "support them")
Teknoman said:
Hey RE4 Wii edition, Zack & Wiki, and Tatsunoko were fun.
monster hunter, okami and the RE chronicles were fun too

Angelcurio

Svensson: It's not an experimental DRM, it's Sony's DRM. It's one of the mechanisms that Sony has made available for third parties.

We were trying to see what impact, if any, on sales there was if we used it, both from a piracy and/or a game-sharing standpoint. The result for both cases was that there is no impact, negative or positive
Huh, guess what? I dind't buy Final Fight because of the drm.

Bte, someone should ask him during e3 about the possibility of a Clover HD Collection that includes Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Okami (with move support) and God Hand.

Yagharek

Angelcurio said:
Huh, guess what? I dind't buy Final Fight because of the drm.

Bte, someone should ask him during e3 about the possibility of a Clover HD Collection that includes Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Okami (with move support) and God Hand.

Eh, I havent bought a single psn game since final fight. They completely devalued the psn store to me since nothing could ever be guaranteed as being fixed to a certain standard. At least with wiiware/xbla you know that all games have the same DRM/license issues.

toasty_T said:
That's all he had to say about the SSFIV:AE drm on PC?

The thing effectively turns into a demo if you're offline.

You must have missed the update, they're going to patch it so you can use all the characters offline.

Top Bottom