• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-E3: The Rules of Combat Are About to Change (Shadowrun)

LuCkymoON

Banned
more =)
srcoversmodern107dy.jpg

srcoversmodern096gq.jpg

srcoversmodern015ej.jpg

srcoversmodern082av.jpg

srcoversmodern060bm.jpg

srcoversmodern074fn.jpg

Im only missing the Magic source book from my vol. 3 collection. Its so damn hard to find >_<

LuCkymoON

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
Actually, I have never played ShadowRun. What was so er...memorable about it?
Think D&D but set in the near future and play only with 6 sided dice. THE SR system had everything D&D had (elves, dwarfs, orks, trolls, dragons, etc.) but also added modern and future technology to it. The D6 system also made it very easy to learn the game mechanics and play. oh baby monowire whip FTW! =D
For more info check out http://dumpshock.com/

krypt0nian said:
New Avatar through E3 in recognition of the greatness of the Shadowrun license!
Shadowrun_s_ava.gif
Oddly enough I tried to do the same thing this morning before this website even went live. Must of been a sign from the cyberpunk gods.

I went with the Shadowrun skull instead but ultimately failed... Too wide for a 80 pixel limit.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
goddamn, those shadowrun RPG book covers are a lot of fun. i played a ton of paper and dice RPGs but for some reason, never really played SR (although many of my friends did).

looking over the book covers, i was reminded of why i used to treasure my RPG manuals and books... as a kid i used to just flip through these books until i knew every picture and every chapter forwards and backwards.

anyone remember Denis Loubet who illustrated a lot for Steve Jackson Games?

Acosta

Great news! Love cyberpunk, it gives you a lot of possibilities and the chance to use a really impressive visual style.

If it´s just a pure FPS it will be somewhat dissapointing for me, I took as granted that it was going to be a MMORPG. However, if they try to use the formula of Deus Ex, with online cooperative multiplayer, could be awesome.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
chespace said:
goddamn, those shadowrun RPG book covers are a lot of fun. i played a ton of paper and dice RPGs but for some reason, never really played SR (although many of my friends did).

"I HATE FALLOUT AND NEVER PLAYED SHADOWRUN P&P" CHE CHOU

Oh man, you are so going to get pelted with marble-flecked dice.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
krypt0nian said:
New Avatar through E3 in recognition of the greatness of the Shadowrun license!

Shadowrun_s_ava.gif
here, let me help you with that ;P

Black & white version

Colour version

Enjoy!

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
So..
What can we expect from this title? Will it solely be an FPS or will it be an FPS-RPG, where you can choose character, make upgrades, acquire cyberware etc etc?

How likely is it that MS are true to the Shadowrun-universe? FASA Studios was involved in the development of the other Shadowrun-games where the Genesis version was the one that did the Shadowrun universe the most justice. Surely they MUST want to add as many RPG elements as possible

Shadowrun has such a huge kult-following and by making it solely an FPS must be considered as a huge let down (granted, FPS games can be really good but with Shadowrun, you expect more than straightforward shooting).

Besides, the plethora of FPS coming to 360 is almost to much, with Gears of Wars and Halo3 coming in the near (or so) future. Shadowrun should (and must) distinguish itself more, not being "just another FPS"...

Hopefully, MS realizes this and make don´t drop the ball on this franchaise..

Ideally, it would be played in the third person perspective just so you could appreciate the gear and mods visually...but in any case, I'd like to see it play out in much the same way the Genny version did it. Only, I'd have a stronger story threads all intersecting and running throughout the world. A ton of fairly distinctive NPCs and, with the capability to do so, streets that are teeming with thousands of people in the day and even large crowds of people in social hangouts and adjacent streets areas. I'm tired of not seeing crowds of people that I can 'swim' through to reach my target, destination, or just to escape pursuers. A living, breathing urban landscape with a lot of fun dynamics to work with...with it being as true to the PnP's ruleset as it can be without restricting the possibilities for having fun in a realtime version of the universe. Regardless of how it turns out, I'd be surprised if it didn't have fun team-based online play.

And thanks for the pic, Scrow.

Victrix

*beard*
I have no firm ground to place my feelings for this

I'm a huge, massive, mega cyberpunk, gibson, stephenson, sterling, shadowrun fan, but I have not enjoyed or been impressed by FASA's last games

Indifference to recent FASA titles warring with frothing demand for a true Shadowrun game

My hype is deeply conflicted :(

I think everyone in here feels that way...well, a lot of us, anyway. I mean, I enjoyed MA1 and Crimson Skies on the XBOX for what they were. I can understand doing a little pruning on something to make it more accessible to console audiences...but what they did was effectively cut all of the branches off of the respective licenses' trees. Outside of the IP specific details, they could have been titled anything else and no one would have known. With Shadowrun, it needs to be handled very differently. If they turn this into standard FPS with a few cyberpunk elements and theme, but without any of what really makes the universe and game tick...I'm gonna be fucking pissed.

Mashing

Boogie said:
What the hell is wrong with you?

I know, I know great game... I just don't like first person games that much. I'd much rather have a more traditional style RPG (3d isometric etc...)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
BlueTsunami said:
So...can Che confirm this?

>_>

<_<

;)
Dunno, but I can.

It's Shadowrun, it's been in the works for ages now, and it (alongwithagreatgamecalledTheOutfityoumayhaveheardofitgobuy18copiesNOW) is one of the main reasons I haven't sold my 360 yet.

There are so many ways I'd like to see them take this game, and FPS is the least of them.

I haven't played a MMORPG in some time, but a Shadowrun version would get me to sign up for sure. Putting together a highly specialized party, each with their own unique abilities, weapons, and augmentations, then going on instanced missions would be all kinds of cool.

On the other hand, New Seatle in all it's glory, laid-out ala GTA, with missions and open ended game play much like GTA/Mercenaries could be great as well. The pen and paper system would lend itself well to this type of gameplay.

Finally, a first person Oblivion style game, with a huge, expansive world to explore, again probably New Seattle, with tons of quests, and open ended play, would be really impressive.

Sadly, I know all the rumors are that it's a FPS, but if it's in the vein of Deus Ex, with co-op play, classes to choose from, and tons of options for augmentations, weapons, skills, etc. I'd probably still be happy.

Are any of these too much to ask for? :D

Kung Fu Jedi said:
There are so many ways I'd like to see them take this game, and FPS is the least of them.

I haven't played a MMORPG in some time, but a Shadowrun version would get me to sign up for sure. Putting together a highly specialized party, each with their own unique abilities, weapons, and augmentations, then going on instanced missions would be all kinds of cool.

On the other hand, New Seatle in all it's glory, laid-out ala GTA, with missions and open ended game play much like GTA/Mercenaries could be great as well. The pen and paper system would lend itself well to this type of gameplay.

Finally, a first person Oblivion style game, with a huge, expansive world to explore, again probably New Seattle, with tons of quests, and open ended play, would be really impressive.

Sadly, I know all the rumors are that it's a FPS, but if it's in the vein of Deus Ex, with co-op play, classes to choose from, and tons of options for augmentations, weapons, skills, etc. I'd probably still be happy.

KFJ has everything right. I will defend him unto the ends of the world.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Sign me up!

DrDogg

Kung Fu Jedi said:
We don't need Crimson Skies II development cutting into the development of what we really want, namely Shadowrun.

Silence!

And even if it's not called "CS2" where's my spiritual successor? Blazing Angels was crap...

NeXuSDK

sharukins, that I don't know... :)
Actually, I don't think it's Vista exclusive... but that's only speculated

DrDogg said:
Silence!

And even if it's not called "CS2" where's my spiritual successor? Blazing Angels was crap...

I wouldn't mind a Crimson Skies 2, I played both the PC version and the Xbox one, but we really need Shadowrun to kick all forms of ass. :D

Top Bottom