• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator: Hunting Grounds - Previews.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Predator is a pretty damn big franchise, I feel like a lot of people will roll the dice on the game.

manfestival

The game just had so many things that needed to be fixed. Including the performance of the game on PC. This is a real shame. I really loved the AVP games.

obin_gam

I feel bad for the developers. I feel the same way that I felt after trying the Anthem trial.... I wouldnt even play this if I got payed to :/

obin_gam

Can you suggest better games gameplay wise that came out and are coming out this year?
In the same or alike genra: Hunt, Warzone and Doom 2.
My main issue was the fantastically sluggish gameplay which felt really weird considering youre suppose to be a badass alien hunter, or badass human mercenaries...

molasar

Banned
My main issue was the fantastically sluggish gameplay which felt really weird considering youre suppose to be a badass alien hunter, or badass human mercenaries...

I experienced something opposite in its trial version. A very dynamic gameplay on PC. The same action like in 1987 movie. I was a badass like Jungle Hunter Predator and Blain with Ol' Painless.
Are you sure you played the same game? Are your skills good at it?

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You're about to give yourself an aneurysm dude, abort abort.

VulcanRaven

The game just had so many things that needed to be fixed. Including the performance of the game on PC. This is a real shame. I really loved the AVP games.
I'm pretty sure the performance will be better when the game is released. Illfonic said that they are still working hard on the game:

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Also for US residents

molasar

Banned
I have been computer gaming for 20 years. It is NOT the netcode. Stop making excuses for the game.

So I have been gaming for almost 40 years?

And I did not make any excuse. Read my comment again, then you can see that I made a guess, not an excuse.

Also my PC is worse than yours but I did not have those performance issues. The same for a lot of other PC players - no performance issues at all.

manfestival

So I have been gaming for almost 40 years?

And I did not make any excuse. Read my comment again, then you can see that I made a guess, not an excuse.

Also my PC is worse than yours but I did not have those performance issues. The same for a lot of other PC players - no performance issues at all.
You are missing the point entirely by trying to "one up" me. Good job at not understanding what was being stated.
You are bringing up general information and I can anecdotally bring up that my friends with better set ups also mentioned the performance issues. Let alone my friends that had less forgiving set ups where the game ran like garbage. Though I can clearly see you are the Predator defense force with the complimentary avatar to accompany your need to defend the game/constant posting. I could only see the justification if you were an actual developer protecting your product but that is it.

molasar

Banned
You are missing the point entirely by trying to "one up" me. Good job at not understanding what was being stated.
You are bringing up general information and I can anecdotally bring up that my friends with better set ups also mentioned the performance issues. Let alone my friends that had less forgiving set ups where the game ran like garbage. Though I can clearly see you are the Predator defense force with the complimentary avatar to accompany your need to defend the game/constant posting. I could only see the justification if you were an actual developer protecting your product but that is it.

So explain me what I do not understand.

The only thing I bring is my own experience and what I have heard from other players who uploaded their own footage on YT commenting about it.

And yes, I am the Predator franchise fan but I am only interested in good products. There is nothing wrong with debunking nonsense here like yours: "I and my buddies had a performance issue, so definitely everybody else".

Also I can clearly see that you are a part of Star Wars zealots with the complimentary avatar.

I guess your message here is: "I do not like Predator games, buy Star Wars ones or the ones I tell you".

MiguelItUp

Lmao, Jesus. Not sure what's up with the negativity? Lol.

I played on PC and while I came across some silly bugs and the queue issue, the game ran really well for me and I had no serious issues. I was reading people had issues running it, but man, too many variables to figure out what's affecting people's experience.

molasar

Banned
Lmao, Jesus. Not sure what's up with the negativity? Lol.

I played on PC and while I came across some silly bugs and the queue issue, the game ran really well for me and I had no serious issues. I was reading people had issues running it, but man, too many variables to figure out what's affecting people's experience.

Imagine if there was no one here to debunk false information. What a clueless reader of those comments could think about the game? Probably that it runs bad on every hardware, it has bad graphics, is nothing special and other games do the same things better (what other games). Just those guys act here like they are some tech experts but cannot bring anything substantial. So they try to use their faulty eristics.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Imagine if there was no one here to debunk false information. What a clueless reader of those comments could think about the game? Probably that it runs bad on every hardware, it has bad graphics, is nothing special and other games do the same things better (what other games). Just those guys act here like they are some tech experts but cannot bring anything substantial. So they try to use their faulty eristics.
Yeah, it's a shame. I've been behind that barrel before as I had a good experience when others had a bad one. Can't always pinpoint what people are dealing with when there's so many different spec combos. I mean, that's up to Illfonic to track down and improve, but it may take a bit as they're not a gigantic studio by any means.

All I know is that I enjoy what I played and as a huge Alien and Predator fan I was happy. 🤷‍♂️

Enjay

Banned
It's a rushed buggy game with a developer with an awful track record. Anyone on the fence should wait until I'm betting Julyish when it becomes free on ps plus.

molasar

Banned
It's a rushed buggy game with a developer with an awful track record. Anyone on the fence should wait until I'm betting Julyish when it becomes free on ps plus.

Where I can read your full review of the launch built? Just to make sure what bugs are there and how optimized it is across the board.

Also how much more content (maps, weapons, etc.) is there in comparison to the trial?

Last edited:
Your optimistic :)

There are definitely technical issues that can be patched but there are some design decisions which I don’t think can be

if you want a better example of a game like this Friday the 13th is your best bet

manfestival

Imagine being so blinded by your own fanboyism to just decry any negativity as false. Honestly, my experience wasn't so bad and ranked that it was just a mediocre game that needs more time in the oven... in every aspect including optimization. Also, the reaching of trying to find a middle ground because you felt so attacked about the avatar is hilarious. Show my star wars fanboyism zealot posts. Here is a hint: you won't. You strike out again.

molasar

Banned
Imagine being so blinded by your own fanboyism to just decry any negativity as false. Honestly, my experience wasn't so bad and ranked that it was just a mediocre game that needs more time in the oven... in every aspect including optimization. Also, the reaching of trying to find a middle ground because you felt so attacked about the avatar is hilarious. Show my star wars fanboyism zealot posts. Here is a hint: you won't. You strike out again.

Again you are a part of false picture painters here and your eristics won't work on me.

Read all my comments and you can see who is honest about this game. Definitely not you.

You see I do not feel attacked and I used your weapon against you. Your answered just confirmed that it was effective. And actually you should show my 'fanboyism' irrational posts.

Just failure after failure.

Also what games are not mediocre for you? Barbie and Ken love adventures?

manfestival

Again you are a part of false picture painters here and your eristics won't work on me.

Read all my comments and you can see who is honest about this game. Definitely not you.

You see I do not feel attacked and I used your weapon against you. Your answered just confirmed that it was effective. And actually you should show my 'fanboyism' irrational posts.

Just failure after failure.

Also what games are not mediocre for you? Barbie and Ken love adventures?
Nice label you created for me there champ, "false picture painters." I forgot the term for this sort of mentality that you are using doubling down on your defensive moves where you refuse to see reason and only want to see the good in the game. Also funny how you can't even think of a solid counter or original one(try coming from a different angle, you clearly aren't used to this) to my statements. It will come out soon enough and I am sure you will champion the one or two 9 scores but will ignore the overall metascore of 60-70. Enjoy your delusions, I am done in here. Feel free to have the last word, on me.

molasar

Banned
Nice label you created for me there champ, "false picture painters." I forgot the term for this sort of mentality that you are using doubling down on your defensive moves where you refuse to see reason and only want to see the good in the game. Also funny how you can't even think of a solid counter or original one(try coming from a different angle, you clearly aren't used to this) to my statements. It will come out soon enough and I am sure you will champion the one or two 9 scores but will ignore the overall metascore of 60-70. Enjoy your delusions, I am done in here. Feel free to have the last word, on me.

Typical behavior here. Like I wrote a pathetic eristic does not work on me.

Again read all my previous posts. Are you afraid of the truth?

And of course you are done because you cannot bring anything substantial (no tech analysis, no comparisons with established standards and so on). Just the king is naked. So another exposure scored.

Also lol at metascore (you discredited yourself even more). Like it is something I follow and makes me enjoying gameplay more or less. SMH. Is there even one reliable reviewer out there (objective one)?

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Your optimistic :)

There are definitely technical issues that can be patched but there are some design decisions which I don’t think can be

if you want a better example of a game like this Friday the 13th is your best bet
I went through such a love/hate/love/really hate relationship with that game. Real shame illfonic had its head up its ass for most of it.

I see that history repeating itself here.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
I went through such a love/hate/love/really hate relationship with that game. Real shame illfonic had its head up its ass for most of it.

I see that history repeating itself here.

So have you played the launch built or not? Or is it some imagination?

Enjay

Banned
Pretty sure he's doing more to hurt this game's word of mouth in this thread than anyone's criticisms tbh.

molasar

Banned
Pretty sure he's doing more to hurt this game's word of mouth in this thread than anyone's criticisms tbh.

Again I am not a developer of this game nor a publisher. And I do not care if you buy it or not. But one thing is sure that I am going to expose you if you paint a false picture which is not a criticism. Your feelings are not a criticism as well.

Last edited:
Again I am not a developer of this game nor a publisher. And I do not care if you buy it or not. But one thing is sure that I am going to expose you if you paint a false picture which is not a criticism. Your feelings are not a criticism as well.
Don’t take this the wrong way but you really do come off as a paid shill.

we all want a great predator game but the fact is this will probably wont be this game

it’s a shame but unless there is some miraculous change in design and total overhaul of the ai and NetCode I just don’t see it happening

Playing as the predator is not perfect but it’s pretty fun but playing as the humans is not a fun experience.....when 4/5ths of your game is not fun you have a problem
and the game has missed one fundamental thing about the predator movies....the good guys don’t defeat the predators with guns.

I keep mentioning you should go and have a look at Friday the 13th....this is a game in the very same mould but the non Jason players actually have to work together and trap/barricade and outsmart Jason...this is not a perfect game but in terms of nailing the core gameplay which is reminiscent of the movies they nailed this.

predator hunting grounds has not.

molasar

Banned
Don’t take this the wrong way but you really do come off as a paid shill.

I am ok with this because it is a belief only, not a fact.

we all want a great predator game but the fact is this will probably wont be this game

Yes, some of us do but I do not think that one game can satisfy every fan because each one of us has some idealized vision of it.

it’s a shame but unless there is some miraculous change in design and total overhaul of the ai and NetCode I just don’t see it happening

I personally like its aesthetic design and I do not think they are going to change AI as it is supposed to be an annoyance only between a Predator and the fireteam battle. Unless they will modify it for some offline mode only.

Playing as the predator is not perfect but it’s pretty fun but playing as the humans is not a fun experience.....when 4/5ths of your game is not fun you have a problem
and the game has missed one fundamental thing about the predator movies....the good guys don’t defeat the predators with guns.

I have had the most fun playing as the Predator too and as the human against it. Generally I stopped enjoying FPS games long time ago even if I still played them the last one which really satisfied me gameplay wise was Syndicate (2012). No recent CoD or Doom games could do this.

I am not sure if we should treat 'the good guys don’t defeat the predators with guns' as a fundamental thing but one thing is for sure that high-caliber guns can injure the Predator and kill it. Still a part of our individual idealized vision of it.

I keep mentioning you should go and have a look at Friday the 13th....this is a game in the very same mould but the non Jason players actually have to work together and trap/barricade and outsmart Jason...this is not a perfect game but in terms of nailing the core gameplay which is reminiscent of the movies they nailed this.

predator hunting grounds has not.

I have watched Ft13th gameplays (enjoyed some films too when I was younger), and other asymmetrical games like Evolve or Dead by Daylight, but never was a huge fan of this franchise. So not even its gameplay attracted me.

Again it is an individual thing what we perceive in terms of nailing film elements.

P:HG provides me almost everything I want with exception of some proper offline mode with AI replacing other players. It delivers something similar to what fighting games do (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc.) i.e. short sessions with arcade type of satisfying gameplay I can easily return to . I just want to play it for gameplay only and have it wrapped in one of my favorite themes.

VulcanRaven

It makes sense that we can defeat Predators with guns. Humans haven't killed them with guns in movies but they have done a lot of damage. Remember when Harrigan shot the Predator with a shotgun in Predator 2.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Predator: Hunting Grounds interview with Illfonic

Jump to 15:15

They say that they are improving the performance and the matchmaking. I hope there will be many game modes. I don't think they have said much about those.

Official website has many screenshots. I really like these skins:

predator-hunting-grounds-screenshot-05-ps4-04dec19-en-us

predator-hunting-grounds-combistick-01-ps4-04dec19-en-us

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Demo was pretty trash. It's going to be <$10 or even free pretty quick.
Naaaaaaaaaah. It's already below regular MSRP. I could see it dropping a bit once it's no longer an EGS exclusive. Other than that it all depends on their roadmap. They have some good fans they've built from Friday the 13th, and a lot of those fans are Predator fans. So they'll be just fine.

Enjay

Banned
Naaaaaaaaaah. It's already below regular MSRP. I could see it dropping a bit once it's no longer an EGS exclusive. Other than that it all depends on their roadmap. They have some good fans they've built from Friday the 13th, and a lot of those fans are Predator fans. So they'll be just fine.
I think it's gonna turn out that those friday the 13th fans are way more leery of the developer this time around.

molasar

Banned

VulcanRaven

I hope these skins will be included or released as DLC:
predators.jpg

latest

I'm not a big fan of the first Alien vs Predator movie but I have always like that Predator design.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think it's gonna turn out that those friday the 13th fans are way more leery of the developer this time around.
Some, unfortunately. But because of everything that happened, it was really out of their hands and there wasn't much they could do. There are fans that understand that, and some that don't and can't. Que sera, sera I suppose.

The fans of the game that knew that and could understand that remained. I mean, some still play on various platforms today.

Top Bottom