• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Obama uses his anger translator, Luthor, at the correspondent’s dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's never been what this event is about. Can we please stop with this bullshit outrage at everything Obama does that every goddamn president before him has done? How about journalists work on that first?

My #1 annoyance at the media portrayal of Obama-- slamming him for bad things, legitimately wrong, as if they weren't status quo.

Right wing press, obviously, but also the rest of the press.

Carnby

They bitch about it all the damn time in congress, yet never tread on transparency themselves. What's that got to say? Do as I say and not as I do? Just sayin' man. Some transparency will always be better than none, yes people shout out bullshit lines such as that, but let's not throw stones. Ain't nobody ever going to be fully transparent and that should be a rather huge duh. It ends up sounding like a fox one liner for saying: here listen to this sound bite! Soooo false!

Straw man.

Oersted

That's never been what this event is about. Can we please stop with this bullshit outrage at everything Obama does that every goddamn president before him has done? How about journalists work on that first?

Do you have a point? I mentioned this being a low is a standard for WHCD, so where are you even coming from? Besides, others did it too was never/will never be a good defense. Furthermore, where was my bullshit outrage over what Obama has done? I mentioned what Obama has done and what the journalists don't do, my point being the failure of the journalists not calling him out. Seriously, where are you coming from? I'm not even sure if you read my post.

PreFire

I highly recommend watching the whole thing. It's hilarious. All presidents should be this way

He doesn't have a bucket list, but a "fuck it list" lol

Biden massages and praying 5 times a day lol!

Most Transparent Adminis- hahaha. Sorry, I can't even finish typing that line of bullshit.
Ok, so he didnt fulfill his promise on that issue. But you said you can't stand him. You can't stand Obama because his administration failed to be 100% transparent? I'm not singling you out. I want to understand why people hate him so much so that they can't even stand the sight of him, someone like you. I want to know why.

They bitch about it all the damn time in congress, yet never tread on transparency themselves. What's that got to say? Do as I say and not as I do? Just sayin' man. Some transparency will always be better than none, yes people shout out bullshit lines such as that, but let's not throw stones. Ain't nobody ever going to be fully transparent and that should be a rather huge duh. It ends up sounding like a fox one liner for saying: here listen to this sound bite! Soooo false!
To be fair conservatives like McCain did tackle transparency issues such as McCain Feingold campaign finance reform. But "I cant stand Obama" is way more personal than the whitehouse policies on who goes in and out of the oval office.

It's just pure hatred.

Apt101

To be fair conservatives like McCain did tackle transparency issues such as McCain Feingold campaign finance reform. But "I cant stand Obama" is way more personal than the whitehouse policies on who goes in and out of the oval office.

It's just pure hatred.

McCain used to be a moderate with a heavy leaning towards liberalism in regards to certain aspects of governance. He began back peddling as 2008 approached, then lost the election and transformed.

Irnbru

Straw man.

Breathtaking retort. It takes a rather sagacious individual to create such striking and beautiful prose. And if I do say so myself, rather poignant. Be still my un-beating heart

I think they were referring to ALL of the constant bullshit stated by conservatives, not just in relation to that one aspect. Just my opinion though...

Ding!

It's just pure hatred.

Oh I fully agree with this, I even admit that such a line from any constituent is purely posturing of the highest form, it just ends up as I say, just a fox point. Respect for those who at least attempt it, which I think Obama at least tried in some aspects, just as all things obvious with politics, runs with much obfuscation.

Ryuuroden

Breathtaking retort. It takes a rather sagacious individual to create such striking and beautiful prose. And if I do say so myself, rather poignant. Be still my un-beating heart

Ding!

lol, but its all they have, its the be all end all for people on either side of an arguement, false strawmen, real strawmen, not knowing what a strawman is strawmen, knowing what a strawman is and using it in a ridiculous spot anyways strawman. Don't take away the strawman retort, its right up there with the well just because we did it doesn't mean he should argument.

It doesn't work that way, one side cannot unilaterally disarm and come out having any say in Washington. It is why American politics get shittier and shittier every year that goes by and its only going to get worse with the Koch Brothers 1 billion dollar pledge to buy the presidency. Means the dems are going to get even slimier too, to compete.

At least I can take a look around the entire world and tell myself well its not just the USA going into the shithole, the whole world is, and some portions of it much much faster. RIP future generations.

That's not what the thread is about though, It's about a day where we can laugh at sick burns at the disgusting aspects of our country and state of politics.

16BitNova

HT_OBAMA_CHEWING_ll_141111.gif

Dressed like Emperor Palpatine pre Mace Windu fight.

:O

Can a president do this? Back in 2008 during the Oceans-Eleven South Park episode, I never thought he would reach that level of cool.

hnnnnnnngggggg

That was pretty great. Especially the end where
Obama himself went ham on climate deniers. Holy shit what a way to end that section, and that stuff really needed to be said.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That was pretty great. Especially the end where
Obama himself went ham on climate deniers. Holy shit what a way to end that section, and that stuff really needed to be said.

He should say some of this stuff seriously and officially, not in the context of comedy. But that's probably as close as politics allows.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Cecily Strong's bit.

"Let's give it up for the Secret Service. Yeah. I don't want to be too hard on [the Secret Service], you know? 'cause they're the only law enforcement agency in the country that will get in trouble if a black man gets shot."

I said goddamn.
"NBC is here. You know even us at SNL got criticised this year for making fun of ISIS. You know, I think that's unfair. I mean, if anyone is guilty of taking ISIS too lightly, it's him *tilts head towards Obama*."

"I have to say, I still see so many negative portrayals of black and gay people out there. I mean, it's 2015, and we still have TV characters like Don Lemon."

I'm roaring here.
giphy.gif

Throw the damn towel!

Oersted

Cecily Strong is awesome
Ohhhhhhh is the best response you can get from an audience

ohhhhh or true

Given the circle, its best when they are getting silenced.

"What's our biggest concern as Americans? TV show spoilers. In other countries, a spoiler consists of, 'Hey, I haven't been back to the village yet, so don't tell me who survived the drone strike — no spoilers!'"

McHale last year

Carnby

As before, you're not addressing the origanal question. A spade is a spade.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Watching Cecily Strong's bit.

"Let's give it up for the Secret Service. Yeah. I don't want to be too hard on [the Secret Service], you know? 'cause they're the only law enforcement agency in the country that will get in trouble if a black man gets shot."

I said goddamn.

Wow, that was great.

That Serial joke seemed like a miss.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Whatever my feelings about Obama (I wish he was more left)... god it's nice to have a president who is smart. Please keep electing people who. at the very least, are smart.

KingK

Obama is always the funniest one at these things. Nothing will ever tip Colbert 06 though.

Also, Michelle was looking amazing. Gawddamn.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
God I love the shots of the humorless windbags in the audience that were like 'thats not funny'. Except yes it was.

akira28

Actually journalists, some of them anyway, are a little sickened by how this correspondent's dinner HAS turned into another platform for the entertainment lobby and publicity for politicos and journalists hanging out and looking glam.

It is relevant criticism, as the dinner hasn't always been like this. Hollywood actors and tv personalities weren't going to these things back in 1957, this is just sales and imaging opportunity stuff now.

Christine

I hate to say it, but shouldn't the meeting of White House Correspondents' Association be about, well, journalists? Journalists holding those in power accountable, calling them out and be uncomfortable? Especially Obama who waged a fight on journalists?

Not in the least. What you're describing is what the White House Correspondents are supposed to be doing every day of the year. The Dinner is an annual event that they hold for themselves in honor of themselves, their work, and their professional Association.

This is no different than any other private industry association's celebratory dinner, except that the POTUS and everybody who's anybody is in attendance. Are you seriously feeling sorry for FOX, CNN and MSNBC because Obama was mean to them in his comedic routine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom