• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Was about to bite on this and saw it's dropping here in Aus to $34 at Big W this Thursday! Sold. Even more so :p

So this is now the last game Raphael Colantonio worked on at Arkane.

While this may spell some uncertainity about the studio, I think it'll be fine (And raf is keeping an eye on handling the transition for the Lyon team)

Since Harvey is handling the Austin team, I imagine someone from the Lyon team will take the charge.

Dinga Bakaba as creative director Arkane Lyon pls

soultron

Banned
Harvey isn't looking to leave anytime soon, from the looks of it

I hope he makes games for a very, very long time. I was watching an interview a few weeks ago and was shocked to learn Smith is 50! But it makes sense seeing as how he was around in the earlier days of the cornerstone 3D immersive sims.

On a tangential note, Raf was interviewed for PREY (I think it was the Gamespot 3-part series on PREY?) and he made some really interesting points about how this game specifically was inspired by parts of his rough childhood. Worth watching if you've missed the videos! Here's the first part.

So I've started this tonight. It really nails that tense atmosphere and did make me panic a few times. At least I managed to kill a phantom with a wrench.

RomeoDog

Banned
That moment when I thought I was hopeless... but than turned around and realized.. I can actually convert worthless ammo into usable ammo using the Recycler.

That moment when I thought I was hopeless... but than turned around and realized.. I can actually convert worthless ammo into usable ammo using the Recycler.

I can't say enough how important are the Recyclers and Fabricators. They can help in converting any item you pick up into crafting materials so you can craft stuff like ammo later on.

So,is that new difficulty update still happening?

I'm gonna assume yes since they're taking their time with the update.

Like I said before, I doubt Raphael's departure is gonna affect Arkane is any huge way. Looking at the videos from Raf and Harvey, they take their design principles seriously and would ensure that they continue even without Raf

If you ask me, they should promote Ricardo Bare (He led the development of Dishonored 1 DLCs and was lead designer for Prey)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, I had loads of ammo for little pistol thing that I never used and made a ton of regular ammo with it when I basically had nothing left, it carried me to the end of the game.

RomeoDog

Banned
So,is that new difficulty update still happening?

You need this game to be more difficult? I hate it right now.. Just want to progress but there's always a new combat encounter and I waste all my precious ammo.

What sucks the most for me is the hacking mini game... on PS4 it's probably more difficult than elsewhere because of the input lag :(

You need this game to be more difficult? I hate it right now.. Just want to progress but there's always a new combat encounter and I waste all my precious ammo.

He's talking about survival mode which had cut elements like weapon degradation, trauma system (broken legs from fall damage, 3rd degree burns, etc..), oxygen meter when traveling in the exterior and so forth.

Finished this game earlier this week and it's one of my favorites of all time.

But I think the ending was a little rushed. Either rushed to get too many plot points in at once or had too many plot points added. From the point where
the giant Typhon starts eating the station
to the end was the low point unfortunately. Fortunately the ending was good.

I think I would have preferred if after the spoilered event happened above, a timer started counting down and you had objectives to complete but you couldn't get them all done before
the giant Typhon eats the station
because that would have been a better way to make you choose what to do at the end.

Funny story: I was struggling with the game on hard so I finally gave in and changed it to normal. I'm having a better time, killing enemies and not dying as much.

Well jump 15 hours later in the game and I'm in the options menu and see it's set to hard. I must have loaded a quick save and it reverted the difficulty without me knowing. Just thinking the game got easier made me do better? Lol

Finished this game earlier this week and it's one of my favorites of all time.

But I think the ending was a little rushed. Either rushed to get too many plot points in at once or had too many plot points added. From the point where
the giant Typhon starts eating the station
to the end was the low point unfortunately. Fortunately the ending was good.

I think I would have preferred if after the spoilered event happened above, a timer started counting down and you had objectives to complete but you couldn't get them all done before
the giant Typhon eats the station
because that would have been a better way to make you choose what to do at the end.

I had to return the game by that night at redbox because id be out for the next day and didnt wanna spend the extra $3, so I had a personal time limit.

Wife: you almost done? Its late
Me: yup probably like 20 more min
*sees above spoiler*

Me: uhhh actually idk anymore...

I don't know how the industry works so bear with me. Do you guys think Raphaël Colantonio leaving Arkane will affect Prey support going forward? There were quite a few things like the added difficulty/Survival type mode, HUD options etc. promised, wondering if this would have a negative effect on that.

CHC

Oh man, didn't know that Colantonio left as of yesterday - that's terrible! But it sounds like it's healthy and amicable, and like he is set on ensuring continuity to the new leadership. Harvey Smith and Ricardo Bare are still there, as well as whoever else has helped to shape Arkane's games (can't keep track of everyone).

I don't really see a reason to worry or anything, but I can understand those feelings. Arkane is one of my favorite developers and the genre they work in is largely pretty unique - no one does it better than them.

What sucks the most for me is the hacking mini game... on PS4 it's probably more difficult than elsewhere because of the input lag :(

But the input lag has been fixed tho. Have you patched your game yet? The hacking game is much easier compared to how it was on release.

I don't know how the industry works so bear with me. Do you guys think Raphaël Colantonio leaving Arkane will affect Prey support going forward? There were quite a few things like the added difficulty/Survival type mode, HUD options etc. promised, wondering if this would have a negative effect on that.

It shouldn't affect that stuff, especially since they were planning to do these updates. It might take a bit longer, but Arkane probably already know about his leaving way ahead of time. The current state of the Ps4 version is probably why it's taking so long.

I doubt it. Raphael was a creative director for Prey, but it was a collaborative effort on the Austin team's part in the end.

We still have important guys on Arkane like Harvey Smith, Ricardo Bare, Christophe Carrier, and so forth.

BraXzy

I'm thinking about picking this up in the Steam sale on PC. Absolutely loved Dishonored 1 + 2.. is this game close to the same level? Runs okay on PC?

JCH!

I'm thinking about picking this up in the Steam sale on PC. Absolutely loved Dishonored 1 + 2.. is this game close to the same level? Runs okay on PC?

Is definitely close to the same level and runs perfectly on PC (save for one particular room tbat tanks your fps for some unknown reason).

Prey performs pretty well on PC.

While similar to Dishonored games, its pretty different in some ways. The whole station is interconnected and you can go anywhere you want as long you have the means to do so.

And you'll be low on resources at the start, so playing it slow and carefully really pays off.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Runs fine apart from one area which is broken and dropped me from 60fps down to 15fps for no apparent reason, you spend about 20 minutes total in that area. Otherwise it looks, sounds, runs and plays really well on PC.

GavinUK86

Like others have already said, it runs really, really well on PC.

The game setup is more like a Bioshock or a System Shock in tone and design. It's many different parts of a space station connected by a central hub, or lobby. You can go where you want, whenever you want, unless you come across a locked door but even then there'll be many ways to bypass it. It really is a fantastic game. The story is also very, very good. Some very interesting and well written characters too.

Not enough people play Arkane's games and it's such a shame.

A game of this caliber, and the Dishonored's, deserve to outsell every other copy/paste game that sell millions. The fact they don't is insane.

haveheart

Banned

The game setup is more like a Bioshock or a System Shock in tone and design. It's many different parts of a space station connected by a central hub, or lobby. You can go where you want, whenever you want, unless you come across a locked door but even then there'll be many ways to bypass it. It really is a fantastic game. The story is also very, very good. Some very interesting and well written characters too.

A game of this caliber, and the Dishonored's, deserve to outsell every other copy/paste game that sell millions. The fact they don't is insane.

Absolutely, that's how I feel. At the same time this reflects the current state of the gaming industry and what gamers want.

I think/hope, I'm honestly quite confident that ZeniMax/Bethesda keep supporting Arkane and keep on financing their projects. I know Bethesda promotes some weird policies, not doing themselves any favors but at least they're holding high the flag for ambitious, sophisticated games like Arkane's. By doing so they are pretty much dominating the niche market of "oldschool" games (hardcore shooters, immersive sims and RPGs).

BraXzy

Good to hear on both counts, by level I meant quality level so nice to hear it is top tier too.

Guess this is a definite for my list of games to play :)

RomeoDog

Banned
Man i'm having a hard time. So I reached the part where you have scan the coral for your brother. Cant beat the weavers... Bots are destroying me.. I'm low on gloo gun ammo.

So I'm like fuck it. I know there's a Q-Beam.. So I fix that damn airlock but now I have to clear the hardware labs again. Everything respawned and now there's a new nightmare hunting me.

I didn't even come across the q beam sidequest yet i'm just trying to get it to finish the game.

I'm thinking of using the multiplication glitch and cheating. :( Man they made this game to hard. I'd thought I'd be done by now.

ActWan

While exploring the exterior of Talos 1, I found Will and Cathy Yu's room and there's an unpowered computer there.
Now, I already managed to turn on one of them with the distruptor, but this one doesn't seem to work...anyone got a solution?

Sotha_Sil

I can't say enough how important are the Recyclers and Fabricators. They can help in converting any item you pick up into crafting materials so you can craft stuff like ammo later on.

Indeed. Ammo should rarely be a stumbling block if you use the games mechanics as they were intended (aka not blindly charging into enemies, laying traps, stealth attacks, scanning for the proper weaknesses, etc). This was with me playing on hard with no typhon powers, too.

Still a challenging game. Fights with major opponents often last only a handful of seconds.

While exploring the exterior of Talos 1, I found Will and Cathy Yu's room and there's an unpowered computer there.
Now, I already managed to turn on one of them with the distruptor, but this one doesn't seem to work...anyone got a solution?

Unpowered computers can't be fixed even with Stun Gun

Purkake4

Banned
Finished it in 28 hours. I enjoyed it, the spookiness kind of dropped off, but as I'm not a big fan I didn't really mind. The gameplay was excellent and the story was quite enjoyable as well.
Hopefully we'll get some more answers, SOMA wrapped things up pretty nicely, but Prey is either all a very clever test or there's a lot more stuff for the future. I would have also liked a bit more on the alt history backstory, it was pretty sparse, but had a lot of potential to be interesting as well
. I really enjoyed how dynamic and responsive the game is,
Dahl
can end up in like four different places. Makes the world feel alive and independent of you unlike so many other games.

This is pretty much what I expected Bioshock to be, taking SS2's gameplay forward instead of backward. Glad we finally got here.

RomeoDog

Banned
First of ... FUCK THIS GAME
SO NOT ONLY DO YOU MAKE ME KILL ALIENS TO CLEAR ROOMS AND EXPLORE NOW I HAVE TO FIGHT OPERATOR BOTS ?!

I don't have hacking 4 and also don't have enough neuromods for it anymore.

Game is balanced really poorly.. I hate having my progress stomped.

SO NOT ONLY DO YOU MAKE ME KILL ALIENS TO CLEAR ROOMS AND EXPLORE NOW I HAVE TO FIGHT OPERATOR BOTS ?!

It's not balance poorly. You can use the emp grenade, stun gun, wrench, recycle grenade, and gloo gun ( to immobilized). If you have enough strength just put something in front of the creator. Use it's weaknesses against them. You have a scanner.

Eh...there's a one in fabrication's upper level with no power that I fired my stun gun on and it made some sounds and worked. Other people have reported it working on some computers aswell.

Wonder if it's one of those computers that can be turned on by turning on the power source. Those with out a power source I guess don't work. I'll try it out later.

Yeah I will always shill for an Arkane game. They are routinely my favorite games of the year. Raphael Colantonio leaving makes me sad, I really love how his mind thinks about game design but it's been almost 20 years at Arkane for him so sometimes you need that change. Deserves some time with his family. I believe the company will still have that creative DNA to build the kind of games that they have been.

Purkake4

Banned

Machine mind, son.

Purkake4

Banned
Yeah I will always shill for an Arkane game. They are routinely my favorite games of the year. Raphael Colantonio leaving makes me sad, I really love how his mind thinks about game design but it's been almost 20 years at Arkane for him so sometimes you need that change. Deserves some time with his family. I believe the company will still have that creative DNA to build the kind of games that they have been.
Dark Messiah still doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Best ork kicking simulator bar none.

I always avoided using that for the longest time. I would fear that I would lose control at the worst times and die to it and a Typhon.
You just disable them when you're done with them or run past while they're fighting.

munroe

Or maybe you're just unable to think of other ways to get by, you definitely don't need hacking 4. Game is balanced just fine

Dark Messiah still doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Best ork kicking simulator bar none.

You just disable them when you're done with them or run past while they're fighting.

Yeah I know. It was just some weird paranoia I had. Quickly got over it near the ending.

ActWan

Try to explore the station more to get skills and upgrades, and also find the weaknesses of enemies and exploit them.

eosos

Banned
Moving into my new place tomorrow and will finally get to play this soon! Quick question, is ultrawide supported on PC? Sorry if already answered.

Darth Chief 117

Neo Member
Finally got some time free to finish this,circa 24 hours,loved it all said from the last hour or so. Terrific ending but experience slightly sullied by the
military bots

RomeoDog

Banned
Thanks guys passed the area..

Anybody know if just gloo guning the operator dispensers works? I think I had success with that. Sadly I had to look up how to play to fight the operators.

Thanks guys passed the area..

Anybody know if just gloo guning the operator dispensers works? I think I had success with that. Sadly I had to look up how to play to fight the operators.

From what I saw, you didn't really want to use all of your equipment. That and your weapons or at least your stun gun is not upgraded. I'm not sure if the gloo gun works. You'll have to check back at the terminals to see if the gloo was destroyed.

Scarecrow

Picked up Prey on sale and about to start it up. I recall some podcast mentioning an early side quest that ruins some later story developments. Can anyone give me the name of the quest so that I can avoid it?

Top Bottom