• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Bulletzen72

What did the audio log say about the location. I got something about the power plant exterior and Kasper ended up near the bridge exterior, which was about 600m away from the power plant airlock.

Here I think.
Thanks for the video.
Yeah, I looked there with no luck. The quest description states that it's in the nuromods section, but when I go there the quest marker disappears. I've searched there and still no sign.
Am I missing something?

mujun

I love this game but it's so damned difficult. Weapons don't have much punch, ammo is scarce, there aren't many straight forward weapons, enemies are hard to keep in your sights, etc.

I especially hate the way they spawn back in areas regularly. It really detracts from the exploration aspect for me. I put the game on easy but still get my ass kicked.

Leveling up isn't as satisfying as I'd hoped, either. I love it when a game let's you reach that point that you can confidently take on enemies that had given you trouble prior.

BLU-82

Thanks for the video.
Yeah, I looked there with no luck. The quest description states that it's in the nuromods section, but when I go there the quest marker disappears. I've searched there and still no sign.
Am I missing something?

It should be
in the helicopter simulator room from the begging of the game. Behind the glass panels.

I love this game but it's so damned difficult. Weapons don't have much punch, ammo is scarce, there aren't many straight forward weapons, enemies are hard to keep in your sights, etc.

I especially hate the way they spawn back in areas regularly. It really detracts from the exploration aspect for me. I put the game on easy but still get my ass kicked.

Leveling up isn't as satisfying as I'd hoped, either. I love it when a game let's you reach that point that you can confidently take on enemies that had given you trouble prior.

You do get there, but just charging in guns blazing never works no matter how much you upgrade your stuff. Prey really wants you to combo enemies by ambushing or incapacitating them before you strike. For example, a surprising number of enemies will go down with a single fully-upgraded shotgun shell if you sneak up from behind and shock them with the stun gun first (sneak attack bonus + incapacitation bonus = massive damage). Meanwhile, just firing that same shotgun in their face costs a lot of ammo and time, and often feels like you've just got a peashooter for a weapon. Take every opportunity to set up a sneak attack and use another weapon like an EMP charge, electricity, nullwave, gloo, etc. to incapacitate before switching to your pistol, shotgun or wrench. Also, look up beforehand what an enemy is weak to so you don't accidentally hit it with something ineffectual.

It gets easier toward the middle. Enemies seem to respawn on certain triggers and story beats not all the time. Its not as bad as I first thought it would be.

Once you get the shotgun powered up a bit all the phantom types become very managable to take out. And the qbeam helps a lot vs the bigger ammo sponge floaters.

Did you get the Q-Beam?
It's really good against many enemies, especially robots who take almost no damage from projectiles. There's one in the Crew Quarters kitchen.

I have it. It didn't seem to affect these enemies much but I will go back and try it again at some point.

shiba5

On my second playthrough (PS4), almost at the end of the game, I ran into the weirdest bug: the game started acting like everything was happening at once. The main elevator suddenly reverted to being busted again, I got the quest to talk to January who told me to watch the video on my desk - the first video from the start of the game. Corpses I'd looted long ago suddenly had loot, key cards, transcribes, guns, etc... on them again, I started getting quest dialog from things I'd already finished. Areas would be reset - doors would be blocked/locked again. Certain scripted events happened AGAIN like some glitch in the Matrix.
Then it crashed on me.
I didn't run into any bugs at all my first playthrough.

mbpm1

On my second playthrough (PS4), almost at the end of the game, I ran into the weirdest bug: the game started acting like everything was happening at once. The main elevator suddenly reverted to being busted again, I got the quest to talk to January who told me to watch the video on my desk - the first video at the start of the game. Corpses I'd looted long ago suddenly had loot, key cards, transcribes, guns, etc... on them again, I started getting quest dialog from things I'd already finished. Areas would be reset - doors would be blocked/locked again. Certain scripted events happened AGAIN like some glitch in the Matrix.
Then it crashed on me.
I didn't run into any bugs at all my first playthrough.

I think they should call this the poltergeist bug. That's just freaky.

shiba5

I think they should call this the poltergeist bug. That's just freaky.

It was like multiple save states were overwriting each other. It was minor at first, like I started noticing loot that I knew I had picked up already, and then more and more things started overlapping and reverting - while still carrying on the main quest line.
Totally bizarre.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK so I've just noticed it's 2am and I've been playing for hours without really noticing, the game is great thus far, I'm glad I gambled and bought it. The atmosphere is fantastic, it's super creepy and keeps you on edge all the time. The story is interesting and keeps you wanting to learn more and the gameplay is solid, I can't say I've noticed anything majorly wrong with the game, a minor annoyance would be some of the UI stuff feels a bit clunky, for example splitting items then having to manually move them to a free slot.

Technically it's very good for me on PC, I was having issues with the in-game VSync which caused major frame rate spikes but after disabling it and using Rivatuner to cap my frame rate I've been locked at said cap 99% of the time on max settings at 1080p with a GTX/3570k (not including the split second drops when loading new assets/areas, is everyone getting this? I'm surprised I am with 16GB RAM and a SSD). I also really like how the game looks, it's very nice in general and the character models are especially brilliant. Audio is also top notch with top tier voice work. The music and effects are a big part of why the atmosphere is so good.

Overall I can see this being one of the best games of the year if it continues like this until the end.

This game has been sitting on my desk for a little over a week. Finally popped it in last night and I'm completely hooked! What a great game! I've already put 12 hours in since last night :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think I spoke too soon lol, I've just hit what's seemingly a massive difficulty spike out of nowhere and I keep dying, I have 30hp, nothing to heal with, no ammo and I can't just walk past the mobs. It's not fun dying over and over. It's only on normal as story > challenge for me, so this seems really odd.

I think I spoke too soon lol, I've just hit what's seemingly a massive difficulty spike out of nowhere and I keep dying, I have 30hp, nothing to heal with, no ammo and I can't just walk past the mobs. It's not fun dying over and over. It's only on normal as story > challenge for me, so this seems really odd.

Are you by any water fountains or bathrooms? You can Regen health that way.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are you by any water fountains or bathrooms? You can Regen health that way.

I'm on the bit where you have to
gather voice samples, I go outside to go to the crew quarters and there's just so many robots in there but I have nothing that can kill them and no hp, and nothing to heal with, it seems impossible to me. I've died about 20 times now just trying to get around them somehow but I just can't, this has sapped all the fun out of the game for me so I'm logging off for the night, what a shame :/

I've even tried backtracking but there's new mobs everywhere and I just have nothing to kill them with and a single mimic can one shot me out of nowhere now.

Alebelly

Was a great game on my PC, GOTY type game for me, but my 1070 died.

I thought the PS4 Pro demo was terrible, is the official release been improved?

I have a PS4 Pro considering double dipping

Jaraghan

Got the achievement for finding all staff. Yet I KNOW I haven't because there are some in the Shuttle Bay I haven't seen. I'm glad I got it at least. Would have been livid if I didn't. Had two characters glitch out of the game, and had to glitch into two doors to get other characters.

shiba5

I have it on PS4 and my husband has it in PC and it definitely feels better on PC - a lot better. PS4 feels very sluggish in comparison and it's not just the 30 fps. They set the dead zone to nothing and if I use my older controller, Morgan will drift like she's on ice when I'm just trying to stand still.
I did play it twice on PS4 though so it obviously didn't stop me from loving it.

Got the achievement for finding all staff. Yet I KNOW I haven't because there are some in the Shuttle Bay I haven't seen. I'm glad I got it at least. Would have been livid if I didn't. Had two characters glitch out of the game, and had to glitch into two doors to get other characters.

i got the trophy as well even though i hadn't found all the dead bodies yet... and it was in the middle of a loading screen LOL

i'm not complaining though. maybe it counts all live people, i dunno.

I have it on PS4 and my husband has it in PC and it definitely feels better on PC - a lot better. PS4 feels very sluggish in comparison and it's not just the 30 fps. They set the dead zone to nothing and if I use my older controller, Morgan will drift like she's on ice when I'm just trying to stand still.
I did play it twice on PS4 though so it obviously didn't stop me from loving it.

can't wait for the PS5 Ultra HD remaster

shiba5

i got the trophy as well even though i hadn't found all the dead bodies yet... and it was in the middle of a loading screen LOL

i'm not complaining though. maybe it counts all live people, i dunno.

can't wait for the PS5 Ultra HD remaster

I'd be happy if it just had Pro support - ya know, like it says on the damn box.

Alebelly

Yeah, that was my experience with the demo, bummer

I'm sure after 1/2 hour or so it would be fine, but I think Ill wait till I get a new GPU

Great game. Thanks :)

The input lag on the PS4 version is just deal breaking at least for me and from what people have said they haven't done anything to fix the issue. The frame rate is not even the issue. How did your graphics card die?

Alebelly

The input lag on the PS4 version is just deal breaking at least for me and from what people have said they haven't done anything to fix the issue. The frame rate is not even the issue. How did your graphics card die?

Not sure, windows 10 update then booted up dragon's dogma and the colors were off, tried changing resolution in-game and lost the picture, couldn't get it to come back.

removed the gpu then plugged in a monitor through dvi and everything was fine

reinstalled gpu, no picture

fishbang

Setting aside the bland and tedious final hour-ish, Prey was a great way to spend 60 dollars and 40 hours. I'm not interested in another playthrough yet; that 40 hours was one run, human only, and I did damn near everything I could, including some branching saves to see the different outcomes. I'm looking forward to the Hardcore mode that was mentioned upthread, though. I'd like to come back for that and a Typhon run later on.

I only had a few minor bugs on PC and performance (2500K/GTX970) was good to great most of the time, reactor core notwithstanding. I feel for everyone with serious or gamebreaking problems, and I consider myself fortunate since I've been on the shit end of rare bugs before.

I also feel for anyone having problems with the difficulty and I hate there's not much help to offer. I mean, you can ask about build and upgrades and all, and you can make suggestions based on what works for you, but I think too much of the difference is in *how* we each play games with this much freedom, and it's hard to really grok someone else's Morgan Yu. I mean, by mid game (Shuttle Bay/Arboretum), I had a fully upgraded shotgun and much fabricated ammo with maxed Mobility and Combat Focus. I was flying around each arena, slowing time and making short work of anything that got in my way. I'm pretty sure I quit crouching for stealth by that point as well, because everything was a fun and winnable standup fight.

To be fair, I'm super scroungy and thorough, and I'd rather backtrack to an Operator than use a medkit or repair kit, so I had plenty of mats for the whole game. This was also on Hard instead of Nightmare. I don't mean to say that folks aren't having legitimate difficulty spikes and barriers, just that I'm sorry they didn't experience the same escalation of fun and empowerment that I did.

I liked the ending plenty, even if it was guessable from early on, especially if you took the early escape pod option. Now I'm going to dream for the next several years that we'll get a sequel that carries on from "the handshake".

shiba5

Not sure, windows 10 update then booted up dragon's dogma and the colors were off, tried changing resolution in-game and lost the picture, couldn't get it to come back.

removed the gpu then plugged in a monitor through dvi and everything was fine

reinstalled gpu, no picture

Do you have an onboard graphic chip too? Check and see if it's enabled in the BIOS. It may have taken over.

BeeDog

~20 hours in, and this game continues to be utterly fantastic in every conceivable way. I would be sad if people skip out on this if they love Deus Ex/Dishonored/BioShock and were bummed out due to the review debacle.

Any way, wanted to ask: Can someone vaguely point me in the direction of a new weapon? I am still rocking the shotgun a bit too much and noticed enemy encounters are roughing me up badly every time.

My latest weapon was
The Disruptor Gun
and I am (vague location spoilers)
on the way to Deep Storage through Arboterum.

Thanks.

~20 hours in, and this game continues to be utterly fantastic in every conceivable way. I would be sad if people skip out on this if they love Deus Ex/Dishonored/BioShock and were bummed out due to the review debacle.

Any way, wanted to ask: Can someone vaguely point me in the direction of a new weapon? I am still rocking the shotgun a bit too much and noticed enemy encounters are roughing me up badly every time.

My latest weapon was
The Disruptor Gun
and I am (vague location spoilers)
on the way to Deep Storage through Arboterum.

Thanks.

Explore around the exterior and you might find one. Check out all the bodies.

Roussow

Any Platinum tips?
Started a second playthrough, I'm just at Deep Storage, no Neuromods. I was planning on making a hard save before the end, finishing the game without mods for that trophy, then with one human mod, then with one Typhon mod for that trophy, I wonder how well that works. The only other potentially difficult part, is finding every single human on Talos 1 and fucking murdering them. I guess security terminals would help there.

Seems like Denuvo on the PC version of Prey is cracked now. Lasted what, 9 days? I wonder what the cut off point will be for developers to not bother forking out the money for this protection. Especially now pirates can take a fair assumption that the game will be cracked shortly in most big releases which wasn't the case for most of last year.

DENUVO is RIP....no point of paying devs to those Austrians, who can't do proper work.
Make good game and sale will be ok.

Just finished the game......My GOTY....

and I did pretty much every single quest and looked in every nook and cranny...spent a total of 40 hours.

Loved literally almost everything about this game. I wish I could replay it as if I never played it before. Let me get a nueromod memory wipe so I can replay this game fresh...lol

Prey is all about Combos. I actually Love the combat system once I got a handle on it. Every enemy usually is weak to a certain combo. For instance, Weavers gave me alot of trouble originally...until I realized that Nullwave grenade takes that pesky shield down...then Shotty them with about 2-3 shots and they are down fast.

BeeDog

Did the PC patch fix the Arboterum inventory bug that some people are reporting? I am deadly afraid of going back to Arboterum now after going off-tangent on side quests.

ilium

That inventory bug only happens at the Arboretum, right?
Don't really want to stop playing, so I'd just explore the rest of the station until it is fixed..

That inventory bug only happens at the Arboretum, right?
Don't really want to stop playing, so I'd just explore the rest of the station until it is fixed..

Once it hit me at the arboretum, it started affecting me elsewhere too. I've heard others having the issue in other places as well. I don't know if it's a persistent bug once you have it.

GHG

Gold Member
Did the PC patch fix the Arboterum inventory bug that some people are reporting? I am deadly afraid of going back to Arboterum now after going off-tangent on side quests.

I'd like to know this as well.

I'm just about to go into the Arboterum for the first time but I'd like it to be fixed before I do so ideally.

ilium

Once it hit me at the arboretum, it started affecting me elsewhere too. I've heard others having the issue in other places as well. I don't know if it's a persistent bug once you have it.

Oh Boy.
Does the bug affect me when I load a save before I went into the Arboretum for the first time? Does anyone know?

I thought I had the inventory bug because I lost all of my hypos, but then I found them sitting in the middle of a hallway like 3 hours later. I must have hit the drop button accidentally while I was in my inventory.

venomenon

Beat it yesterday. Ending spoiler:
Destroyed January and shook Alex' hand in the end. Acted as humanely as I could, although Danielle wasn't quite convinced. I wanted to try human-only powers originally, but mimickry and psycho shock were too promising to pass on them.

35 hours, completed almost all side quests I found and did a fair amount of aimless exploration. Don't think I'm going back for completion or another playthrough anytime soon but I certainly got my money's worth. Altogether, I'm very glad they took the immersive sim approach because a true sequel to the original Prey would've been far less appealing to me.
The only bugs I encountered were enemies that got stuck or just stopped moving for no apparent reason (happened with
Nightmares
and
military operators
only, iirc). There was the odd drop to 30fps which should probably not happen (i7 6700k, GTX 1070) but it was very rare, so I'm fine with it.

If I could add one thing to the game, it would be the ability to manually set map markers.

Now it feels like I might have to get Dishonored 2 or maybe give the first one another shot...

edit:
One more thing that might or might not be a bug (regarding a moral decision in a side quest that has some influence on the ending):
In the post-credits dialogue I was criticised for killing volunteer #37. That was the guy you could get killed by a mimic, wasn't he? I did kill him originally, but then reloaded and set him free. He was standing around somewhere with low health afterwards and might have been killed by typhons, but definitely not by me. Not sure if my original decision carried over, but why should it?

Anung

Un Rama
Any Platinum tips?
Started a second playthrough, I'm just at Deep Storage, no Neuromods. I was planning on making a hard save before the end, finishing the game without mods for that trophy, then with one human mod, then with one Typhon mod for that trophy, I wonder how well that works. The only other potentially difficult part, is finding every single human on Talos 1 and fucking murdering them. I guess security terminals would help there.

Save scumming the end doesn't work unfortunately. So the best way is to do a no powers run, save before finishing the game, reload the game and install some Neuromods and finish the game. Start a new game and use nothing but human powers while doing an all kill run, which ties into some later side quests. Finish that, load a late game save (I saved before The
Incapacitate Dahl mission
and then go to Neuromod division and use the security stations to find crew members, just go to each location and do a sweep and it should pop around the 80% as not all crew members count. Have some roll back saves ready on your no neuromod run so you can install them and do the power related trophies whenever you want.

Hope that helps.

ced

Best thing about this game is that you can hide the waypoints and still accomplish your objectives by using the mission description and the map / environment, so refreshing.

Combat is really starting to drag the game down when I return to cleared areas (fuck you,
Arboretum
)to find them swarming with enemies. It makes sense that they're there, but I'm way more interested in exploring Talos I and piecing together the story than I am in the combat.

May drop it to easy if this trend continues.

Top Bottom