• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

noomi

Man... just when I think I get close to the end, a new area to go to, and more side missions lol.

I still haven't been to the bridge or shuttle bay, and part of life support is still unexplored. I am at about 20 hours now :eek:

Not sure how much I have left to go, but I almost never want it to end. I think I may have made a few mistakes by exploring areas early, and grabbing items I shouldn't have yet... oh well.

I feel super powerful now and I don't have any trouble with enemies or ammo anymore. LOOT EVERYTHING, RECYCLE EVERYTHING!

Eager to see how the rest plays out!

Man... just when I think I get close to the end, a new area to go to, and more side missions lol.

I still haven't been to the bridge or shuttle bay, and part of life support is still unexplored. I am at about 20 hours now :eek:

Not sure how much I have left to go, but I almost never want it to end. I think I may have made a few mistakes by exploring areas early, and grabbing items I shouldn't have yet... oh well.

I feel super powerful now and I don't have any trouble with enemies or ammo anymore. LOOT EVERYTHING, RECYCLE EVERYTHING!

I got the Detour mission and was like "oh I should clean up some side missions first."

10 hours later, I finally finished Detour.

Combat is really starting to drag the game down when I return to cleared areas (fuck you,
Arboretum
)to find them swarming with enemies. It makes sense that they're there, but I'm way more interested in exploring Talos I and piecing together the story than I am in the combat.

May drop it to easy if this trend continues.

If you're talking about the
Military Operators, a good approach would be to stun and hack them. Or block their dispensers

noomi

I got the Detour mission and was like "oh I should clean up some side missions first."

10 hours later, I finally finished Detour.

Haha, yeah pretty much. Also I feel like I'm not going in the direction that you are meant to naturally progress, I keep getting sidetracked. Waypoint tells me to go one way, but hey... I haven't seen what's down here yet.... oh wait more side missions, a locked room, hack this to get in, use leverage to break into here, make neuromods, kill enemies, stuff to loot.

Need to go back to hardware labs, to open a few rooms, and finish up a side mission still.

I do think I'm pretty close to the end though.... I think :p

I really love this game, probably my favorite this year.. like it more than horizon :eek:

hotcyder

On my second playthrough - trying out a no Neuromod run (So far so good!).

Can't get over how exceptional the execution was on this title; a solid cohesive vision delivered impeccably. The aesthetics, mechanics and minutiae really make this something special.

Just the amount of world building done by the lived in and thought out environment design and narrative delivery is on the level of linear action titles, but the breadth of problem solving solutions gives it the leg up over the current suite of immersive sims.

Can't wait to see what Arkane are working on next.

Combat is really starting to drag the game down when I return to cleared areas (fuck you,
Arboretum
)to find them swarming with enemies. It makes sense that they're there, but I'm way more interested in exploring Talos I and piecing together the story than I am in the combat.

May drop it to easy if this trend continues.

I think the key is to not try to clear areas. I would kill anything that I had to, or anything that was easy to kill with the wrench like the mimics, poltergeist, or the phantoms. There were a bunch of more difficult enemies that I just always avoided.

https://youtu.be/MZ4gG4yGV-o

Noticed the Black Market achievement is Ultra Rare, so here's a pretty simple guide to all locations. Man, it's worth it for all the Neuromods.

Watched the first two spots. That second one is nuts, how on earth would anyone think to look there?

I haven't looked into it very much so I might have missed a crucial clue that points roughly at these locations without being as obvious as the video (not a knock on the video, that is after all the reason why it exists).

So like... a 4?

I save ammo and get a lot of satisfaction out of throwing heavy objects into their faces.

v0mitg0d

Watched the first two spots. That second one is nuts, how on earth would anyone think to look there?

I haven't looked into it very much so I might have missed a crucial clue that points roughly at these locations without being as obvious as the video (not a knock on the video, that is after all the reason why it exists).

Honestly it was kind of dumb luck. I was fighting and spun myself around and my crosshair ended up pointing directly at it.

I was like....."why hello there!"

mbpm1

The coolest moment yet is in the
Arboretum with the looking glass pond. I'm looking down a the pond just admiring it then I hear the music kick in and I'm confused, looking around and then three mimics leap right through the glass and attack.

Military Operators, a good approach would be to stun and hack them. Or block their dispensers

You can block dispensers? wow

I feel like I'm never going to finish this game. Every time I get closer to the Arboretum, I find some other area to explore. I went from Guts, to Cargo to Life Support, to the Power plant. Not to mention I did the shuttle bay before finishing Psytronics. I figure I should explore the areas while the enemies are weaker, so I won't have to back track to much. Side note Hardware seems to re spawn enemies the most from my experience. Or it's just tied to the random side quest I was doing. Also
fuck the poltergeist
in the power plant.
The guy levitated me in to the electrified water...

Also, because of all my exploration, I have almost all of the Typhon powers discovered. I feel too OP with turrets surrounding me and all my powers. Everything melts, until I meet a Technopath. Fuck those guys.

void666

Banned
Took me 24 hours to beat the game. Left some side quests unfinished.
It was an enjoyable ride, but i was kind of tired by the end. Just wanted to see how everything would be wrapped up.

I'm not sure if it's my GOTY. But that's a pretty damn good game.

venomenon

You don't even
have to stun
them, they
can be hacked just by sneaking up to them
. This has the advantage that you
don't have to damage them, so your hacked operator has a pretty good chance to destroy at least one hostile one on its own
. Just gotta be patient and try to separate them if they come in swarms.
This saved my ass multiple times because in the end I was chronically running low on
Gloo and Disruptor ammo

Haven't tried the blocking approach, awesome that that's working too.

Skulldead

Took me 24 hours to beat the game. Left some side quests unfinished.
It was an enjoyable ride, but i was kind of tired by the end. Just wanted to see how everything would be wrapped up.

I'm not sure if it's my GOTY. But that's a pretty damn good game.

I'm about at the same amount of time i played and reach the moment were everything feel like a chore. I did 90% of the side quest. The enemies variety was there at first, but now thing get way too repetitive. Nightmare became so unchallenging with my 130 shotgun ammo fully upgrade + 30 of any grande type, i can destroy everything in my path without getting hit.

This weekend while playing Prey, I accidentally stumbled upon an entire section of the Space Station that I hadn't previously seen when returning to one of the first areas of the game, trying to find a nearby Fabricator. I was clearly going to be led here later, but I was able to explore and find items, character stories, and uncover new sidequests. I also had a tough time finding my way OUT of that area. I felt disoriented, lost inside Talos 1... and for me, those moments of disorientation are the peak gaming experience for single player games.

it got me thinking... Prey is the game I wanted BioShock to be. I absolutely LOVED BioShock, but as a spiritual successor to System Shock, it still felt fairly linear and with less freedom to explore and experiment than System Shock 1 or 2. In retrospect, I guess that sort of fits in with the theme of BioShock's ruminations on free will (ironically enough). But I don't ever remember going back to earlier areas, discovering entirely new sections by happenstance, or ever really feeling lost like I do in Prey. I love the originality of Rapture and BioShock's setting & characters more than Prey's retro-futuristic Talos 1, but from a design standpoint, Talos 1 is more interesting to explore and get lost in, and I think elevates Prey as the more interesting game.

Haha, yeah pretty much. Also I feel like I'm not going in the direction that you are meant to naturally progress, I keep getting sidetracked. Waypoint tells me to go one way, but hey... I haven't seen what's down here yet.... oh wait more side missions, a locked room, hack this to get in, use leverage to break into here, make neuromods, kill enemies, stuff to loot.

Need to go back to hardware labs, to open a few rooms, and finish up a side mission still.

I do think I'm pretty close to the end though.... I think :p

I really love this game, probably my favorite this year.. like it more than horizon :eek:

More than horizon? Really? Why? I'm thinking of picking this up

Question regarding the Guts to cargo areas.
I got a random transmission by some people. I make my way to Cargo for someone to say that they will keep that area closed. Later I hear about some people in the power plant. Am I messing with the main story, or is this all tied to some side quest? The reason I ask is because there was never a quest marker initiated when I heard the details.
I haven't finished the power plant yet, so maybe I might find some people there?

Honestly it was kind of dumb luck. I was fighting and spun myself around and my crosshair ended up pointing directly at it.

I was like....."why hello there!"

You just happened to make a gloo staircase up to that area while fighting and smashed that panel? Or do the panels highlight your crosshair when you pass over them?

EDIT: Watched again, it looks like it doesn't. How did you come to realize that
the fire alarm panels
were the panels to hit? I might have to go over the notes I got on that sidequest again.

Man, that and the
treasure maps
are the two sidequests I didn't think I'd have the patience to finish.

OBias

I got a random transmission by some people. I make my way to Cargo for someone to say that they will keep that area closed. Later I hear about some people in the power plant. Am I messing with the main story, or is this all tied to some side quest? The reason I ask is because there was never a quest marker initiated when I heard the details.
I haven't finished the power plant yet, so maybe I might find some people there?

Don't worry about it, the main story will guide you there naturally.

Is this bug still a thing on PC? I think I am pretty close to getting there, but I don't want my dear upgraded weapons to be deleted.

I don't think I ever encountered this bug, maybe I'm just lucky.

Is this bug still a thing on PC? I think I am pretty close to getting there, but I don't want my dear upgraded weapons to be deleted.

Knock on wood, I haven't encountered this bug yet either, and I've been in and out of the arboretum a bunch. (oh dear god please don't take my precious weapons)

Truant

The cargo area is part of the main quest. You'll get there eventually.

Everyone like me who are 30 hours into their first run and have yet to finish, remember that Bethesda did not issue review copies, yet some outlets had reviews posted in less than 12 hours of release.

Yeah I'm totally calling B.S. on that.

Anyway, just when I think I'm about to wrap things up,
Dhal
appears.

Last session I quit because I need to contemplate my first real moral quagmire.
To tell my ex what Morgan did with her father.

Has to do with space stuff, not really a spoiler.
Anyone else get creeped out when you see
Technopaths and Telepaths just staring at you from outside the ship?

The cargo area is part of the main quest. You'll get there eventually.

Don't worry about it, the main story will guide you there naturally.

Thanks! I just thought it weird when I was getting directed there and nothing happened. I'll head back to the main quest when I'm done with the power plant.

Redlogic

This game has totally catapulted to my personal GOTY so far this year, and I too em enjoying it more than I did Horizon. The station is just so well done, the exploration feeling is so enjoyable. When I'm not playing Prey, I'm thinking about playing Prey.

You just happened to make a gloo staircase up to that area while fighting and smashed that panel? Or do the panels highlight your crosshair when you pass over them?

the fire alarm panels
were the panels to hit? I might have to go over the notes I got on that sidequest again.

Man, that and the
treasure maps

I got spoiled to them beforehand, but there is a Transcribe in the game (found in Shuttle Bay I believe) where the smuggler talks about how they used
the old alarm panels
as dead drops and that you need to
hit them with the wrench three times
to open them. There's also another Transcribe in the Arboretum right below the dead drop there talking about them.

noomi

More than horizon? Really? Why? I'm thinking of picking this up

This game has totally catapulted to my personal GOTY so far this year, and I too em enjoying it more than I did Horizon. The station is just so well done, the exploration feeling is so enjoyable. When I'm not playing Prey, I'm thinking about playing Prey.

Don't get me wrong Horizon was an amazing game in it's own right. However, Prey now stands as my current GOTY, I would even say it's now in my top 10 games of all time.

Everything about Prey is just done right (in my opinion). The atmosphere, the story, the exploration, venturing down hallways and always finding something to do, the Talos 1 space station design, the alien design, the in-game sounds, the side missions, the audio logs, the notes, the inventory management, recycling, fabrication.... I just fucking love it, all of it Bioshock, System Shock, Alien Isolation and Dead Space are some of my all time favorites, and to me Prey has all the qualities that makes these games so great :)

I'm hoping sales are good so we can see another game in the future.

28hrs in now and still going strong, amazing that some finish this game in 12-15hrs according to what I've heard. Only have 2 side missions left and they are the collection type. There might be more side quests that open up but I suspect I'm getting pretty near the end. GOTY so far for me despite the strong competition. The atmosphere is fantastic (turning music off made a huge difference for me).

*Actually 3 side missions left now that I think about it, but there's one I refuse to complete since I disagree with the only option I seem to have.

garath

So did I miss something crucial? I don't appear to have any unlockable Typhon powers? Unless I had just overlooked a complete sub menu lol. I just got to guts. I have the three trees with human powers and that appeared to be it.

Granted I'm at work right now so can't double check the menus. But I've gone this far in the game only upgrading repair, medical, and some combat

So did I miss something crucial? I don't appear to have any unlockable Typhon powers? Unless I had just overlooked a complete sub menu lol. I just got to guts. I have the three trees with human powers and that appeared to be it.

Granted I'm at work right now so can't double check the menus. But I've gone this far in the game only upgrading repair, medical, and some combat

Looks like you missed it, since you are in Guts.
When you enter Psytronics
you need to go down into the hole in the woman's(?) bathroom. There you will find the scope to scan Typhon and gain abilities.

Did it receive a new patch today?

I just fired the game up and when I go to Load Game and I stand on a savefile it shows that level as a background. This seems new to me. Or not at all?

mbpm1

Looks like you missed it, since you are in Guts.
When you enter Psytronics
you need to go down into the hole in the woman's(?) bathroom. There you will find the scope to scan Typhon and gain abilities.
I didn't know you could
get past psychotronics without the scope. Weird

Zocano

I really wish their were detailed HUD options to tinker with. Dishonored had an insane amount of fidelity and I'm disappointed Prey does not. It would really help the immersive sim in it to not just be marking waypoints constantly.

I didn't know you could

I suppose it makes sense
since you can get beat the game with out Typhon abilities. The scope just tells you weaknesses and unlocks abilities.

I really wish their were detailed HUD options to tinker with. Dishonored had an insane amount of fidelity and I'm disappointed Prey does not. It would really help the immersive sim in it to not just be marking waypoints constantly.

I think that stuff was patched in later with Dishonored, so there is a chance they will do the same with Prey.

v0mitg0d

the fire alarm panels

Man, that and the
treasure maps

I already had the mission, I knew what to look for, and as I was fighting in that hallway I spun around to shotty a baddie and my crosshair ended up right on the drop--too funny.

I then killed the guy, built the stairs and the rest is history.

I didn't know you could

Thinking about it now, I don't think you can?
The quarantine airlock before you get to the lower level doesn't let you in without one
. The only thing I can think of is that
you might be able to get into GUTS via the shuttle bay, maybe? I haven't fully explored that area yet.
But it would be such an odd skip that you'd almost have to be trying for it intentionally, I think.

I already had the mission, I knew what to look for, and as I was fighting in that hallway I spun around to shotty a baddie and my crosshair ended up right on the drop--too funny.

I then killed the guy, built the stairs and the rest is history.

Heh. I guess tonight I'll be
smacking every fire alarm panel I come across
to find the four I didn't watch. Thanks for the video!

Thinking about it now, I don't think you can?
The quarantine airlock before you get to the lower level doesn't let you in without one
. The only thing I can think of is that
you might be able to get into GUTS via the shuttle bay, maybe? I haven't fully explored that area yet.
But it would be such an odd skip that you'd almost have to be trying for it intentionally, I think.

Weird, if that's the case. How did they get to guts?
I thought that once you get the scope you open up the branches.

munroe

you have to get the scanner, you have to pick it up to get past the quarantine door and you have to scan stuff to calibrate it

Though the general access key does allow access to the shuttle bay...

Just went through the shuttle bay, you can't get into guts that way

The star of this game is Talos 1 and the crew that inhabit (or did inhabit) it. I love exploring it and all the level designs have been great. The lobby, with that HUGE wall of glass overlooking space is awe-inspiring. All the audio logs and emails tell great little (and sometimes not so little) stories about the crew. I love how you can select a crew member from a security terminal and find them in the station as long as they have their ID bracelet. It all just feels so organic. They did an amazing job with that.

Also, the crafting system might be my favorite from any game, ever.

shiba5

The star of this game is Talos 1 and the crew that inhabit (or did inhabit) it. I love exploring it and all the level designs have been great. The lobby, with that HUGE wall of glass overlooking space is awe-inspiring. All the audio logs and emails tell great little (and sometimes not so little) stories about the crew. I love how you can select a crew member from a security terminal and find them in the station as long as they have their ID bracelet. It all just feels so organic. They did an amazing job with that.

I love the crafting too. I seriously can't get enough of dumping junk in the recycler - or the way the fabricator makes a barfing noise when it spits something out.

Definitely the best crafting I've enjoyed in a game, up there with The Last of Us. The ease and the interactive nature of it, keeping you immersed in the world, is a thing of beauty

Top Bottom