• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

Stoze

Kind of insane to put out a demo that's a bad first impression/not representative of the final product on PS4

Was going to hold off for story reasons but certainly won't bother checking out mechanics

Impressions here are reading like it's rough overall which is a bit disheartening. Still, nothing else is going to fill that Bioshock itch so I'll take what I can

Yeah, it's unfortunate to see. I think it'd be pretty positive overall if they'd fixed the input lag on PS4, because that being bad kind of effects everything; combat, movement, the hacking (oh man), using the interfaces, etc..

If peeps have a choice between Xbone or PS4 for the demo, choose the former.

xRaizen

583db3f5bb5de4d1228bb38fda32a703.png

Corvo? Is that you? :p

bender

What time is it?
You can download the demo using a European PSN account.

And I hit a "this game is still installing" prompt.

The character models sure do have that "designed by Arkane" look to them. I liked the intro until combat was introduced. It's just the starting spider-like enemies but whacking them with a wrench or trapping them in goo to then hit them with a wrench isn't what I'd call fun. The music is creepy as hell.

I also got stuck in a bathroom and after a few minutes of jumping towards the opening, I sprung out. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

It seems like this game is taking a lot of cues from Deus Ex.

Random but mirrors aren't functional.

Nightwing449

Neo Member
All i can say after playing the first 30 minutes is that i am really enjoying this game and the story is very interesting. I will definitely be buying this when it releases.

M.W.

How can you without knowing when he's pressing the sticks? The turn is slow because the sensitivity is low. You can't see input lag on screen.

Yeah, I downloaded it and played it yesterday with an Australian account.

Are you saying it's not there? You've played it. Thoughts?

Seyfert

Is it just me or this game straight up using Dishonored 2 engine, even character animation when change equipment and that weapon is spinning in the air before the hand pickup is exactly same as Dishonored 2.

ymgve

Is it just me or this game straight up using Dishonored 2 engine, even character animation when change equipment and that weapon is spinning in the air before the hand pickup is exactly same as Dishonored 2.

Animation isn't engine specific. They've said this is on CryEngine, I assume they wouldn't lie about such a vital, and when the game is out on PC, easily verifiable detail.

bender

What time is it?
Disappointment from not being able to stack goo blobs on top of one another for traversal option faded as I figured out you can stick them to walls and build stairs. New gun obtained. PSN needs to hurry up and finishing downloading.

Disappointment from not being able to stack goo blobs on top of one another for traversal option faded as I figured out you can stick them to walls and build stairs. New gun obtained. PSN needs to hurry up and finishing downloading.

GLOO Cannon is a really versatile tool.

Just played. Not for me.

First off. Music cues are annoying. It had effect first two times but loses it quickly and becomes rather annoying.

Combat complaints I had with Dishonored are here. Attacks and whatnot feel fast, weightless.

Bioshock esque atmosphere is neat.

Game hurt my eyes too. Is this using bloom? So bright even in dark settings.

Anyway, I guess if one likes Dishonored, they'll likely like this. I played an hour combined of Dishonored 1 and 2 before losing interest quickly and same goes here.

Demo to show representation of title from company who had a VERY BAD technical reception from last release has a known problem??....in control?? on a different engine.

what the hell is wrong with you clowns? you dont want it to sell?

Demo to show representation of title from company who had a VERY BAD technical reception from last release has a known problem??....in control?? on a different engine.

what the hell is wrong with you clowns? you dont want it to sell?

No need for insults. They're already fixing it for release

bender

What time is it?
What is this complaint about music/musical cues? Can someone describe it in detail?

The moody music kicks in during enemy encounters and it feels a tad overbearing. The music is tense and gives a sense of dread, the spider-like enemy design...not as much?

What is this complaint about music/musical cues? Can someone describe it in detail?

When an enemy pops up, music hits to instill a sense of dread. Works first few times but eventually struck me as just noise since you're just running into the same enemy and are now over fearing them.

im_dany

For Xbox,

Free trials stay on your tag, Demos line this do not. Right?

If you download them from the actual game page and are listed as "trials" (which download the full game iirc), they stay and can even unlock achievements. If they have a separate store entry, they don't stay.

EDIT: just found it by manually searching on the store (Italy here), I'm pretty sure this one doesn't stay. 12.3 GB

plushyp

The moody music kicks in during enemy encounters and it feels a tad overbearing. The music is tense and gives a sense of dread, the spider-like enemy design...not as much?

When an enemy pops up, music hits to instill a sense of dread. Works first few times but eventually struck me as just noise since you're just running into the same enemy and are now over fearing them.
Sounds bad. Hope they can balance this in the final release.

Danneee

The character completely stopped moving and I had to restart the save. Same thing happened again.

Yeah, the game seems promising, at least story wise but I'll wait for a sale and some patches before I jump in.

SomTervo

Just played. Not for me.

First off. Music cues are annoying. It had effect first two times but loses it quickly and becomes rather annoying.

Combat complaints I had with Dishonored are here. Attacks and whatnot feel fast, weightless.

Anyway, I guess if one likes Dishonored, they'll likely like this. I played an hour combined of Dishonored 1 and 2 before losing interest quickly and same goes here.

FYI Dishonored 1 and 2 get better the more you play them. They both only clicked for me at like 4-6 hours, at which point I became addicted.

The 'fast and weightless' is part of their mechanics design, it's to make it as quick and easy as possible for you to do stuff. So you're never held back by animations or 'weight', just like your character (usually). It's to let you enjoy the game's mechanics more.

And once those mechanics begin stacking up on each other more and more, the sandboxes getting huge and complex and rich... It'll blow you away

Paragon

Weird reading about PC performance issues; CryEngine on a good PC is usually a thing of beauty, with really responsive controls and nearly perfect framerates with even huge vistas.
What the actual fuck did they do to fuck it up on the most powerful hardware money can buy?

They managed to break a perfectly functional - if demanding - engine when creating the "Void Engine" from id Tech 5.
I have all the other games running on id Tech 5, and while they're demanding, they are perfectly smooth now on my new PC with a G-Sync monitor.
Dishonored 2 is still a complete mess, with really bad frame-pacing issues.

At this point I no longer believe that Dishonored 2's performance issues just need a fast enough system to brute-force it.
Something timing-related seems to actually be broken in the engine, and sadly I think they are done trying to fix it.

So I would not be shocked if they managed to do the same thing with CryEngine.
I'm just hoping that it's not going to be an issue, since Prey is being made by Arkane Austin and not Arkane Studios in France.

Just played. Not for me.

Thanks for saving me the download.

As someone who hated dishonored 1 and 2 worlds and setting but loved bioshock / system shock 2 I am hoping this fits well into those moulds .

Looking forward to trying the demo

Just played. Not for me.

So it has the same feeling as one of the best games on the market. Thats great news. Also if you played Dishonored 1 & 2 for combat, you're playing them wrong.

Top Bottom