• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

Peroroncino

What is this complaint about music/musical cues? Can someone describe it in detail?

Like I said in my previous post, it kicks in unexpectedly along with an enemy going for a cheap jump-scare, however its raw and loud noises are hard on the ears and when you dispatch the enemy the music is still playing at max volume for about 30 seconds without any reason to do so any more.

GeeTeeCee

Like I said in my previous post, it kicks in unexpectedly along with an enemy going for a cheap jump-scare, however its raw and loud noises are hard on the ears and when you dispatch the enemy the music is still playing at max volume for about 30 seconds without any reason to do so any more.

Ah, that's not good. From what little footage of the game I've watched, my main concern was whether or not the obnoxious jump scare musical sting would play every single time a mimic attacked.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Disappointed in the demo TBH. Love the music and atmosphere, graphics seem like they get the job done, but I didnt enjoy combat too much. Something about the aiming just feels...off? Maybe it is input lag, but I dont think I've played a recent FPS where I had this much trouble actually aiming at things. The acceleration feels like it goes from 0 to 100 on a dime and I find myself sweeping across the screen beyond the enemy Im trying to hit. Do they want you to do mostly stealth? Also didnt like how much hits even the little mimics take, when you seem to be made of glass. To be fair with the amount of neuromods they seem to throw at you that could change quickly in the full game. Went in wanting to really like it, but having a hard time convincing myself it will be worth it at launch. Ill certainly give the demo another shot or two, but this went from Day 1 to wait for $20 sale.

Disappointed in the demo TBH. Love the music and atmosphere, graphics seem like they get the job done, but I didnt enjoy combat too much. Something about the aiming just feels...off? Maybe it is input lag, but I dont think I've played a recent FPS where I had this much trouble actually aiming at things. The acceleration feels like it goes from 0 to 100 on a dime and I find myself sweeping across the screen beyond the enemy Im trying to hit. Do they want you to do mostly stealth? Also didnt like how much hits even the little mimics take, when you seem to be made of glass. To be fair with the amount of neuromods they seem to throw at you that could change quickly in the full game. Went in wanting to really like it, but having a hard time convincing myself it will be worth it at launch. Ill certainly give the demo another shot or two, but this went from Day 1 to wait for $20 sale.

Have you tried the GLOO Cannon?

Been playing for an hour now, and well to simply put, fuck this demo.

There's fucking jumpscares everywhere accompanied by the worst enemies from Half Life 2. Things are lacking sound effects and the music is too goddamn loud, the combat music persists for minutes on end despite there being no more enemies around.

It's Bioshock in space, but made in the worst way possible.

Yeah, didnt make the aiming any easier.
Yeah... That's the input lag on the demo's part which should hopefully be fixed at launch.

Been playing for an hour now, and well to simply put, fuck this demo.

There's fucking jumpscares everywhere accompanied by the worst enemies from Half Life 2. Things are lacking sound effects and the music is too goddamn loud, the combat music persists for minutes on end despite there being no more enemies around.

It's Bioshock in space, but made in the worst way possible.

I understand your frustration, but is the hyperbole really necessary?

Are you one of the developers?

To get a little more technical on the update:

To address input lag, the fix within the final release in the game changes the raw input curve on the PS4 controller to be more responsive at the low end, and to tweak responsiveness to the center point on the controller (narrowing the dead zone.). The net result is faster/more responsive movement.

You could call me Arkane shill if you want. I don't mind 😂

I really like the atmosphere and visual tricks in this game.

Yes the music is way too loud, and there is some input lag there but I really liked what I've played of it!

Sadly I can't not compare it to the Human Head Prey 2 we were supposed to get :(

Roussow

Devs say that it's fixed for the full game, but guarded skepticism, of course. Probably shouldn't release a demo with input lag to follow-up your previous game that had it and claim it's now fixed. Sounds... less than legit.

Got a quote on this?

ISee

Oh no, please don't tell me this is an idTech 5 or void engine based game.

edit: oh apparently cry engine... *sigh*

Hagi

The encounter music in this is obnoxious as fuck especially when it smashes in and I have no idea what the hell is going on. Had to turn the demo off because it was triggering me. Game seemed kind of cool outside of that.

Got a quote on this?

This one, I presume:
To get a little more technical on the update:

To address input lag, the fix within the final release in the game changes the raw input curve on the PS4 controller to be more responsive at the low end, and to tweak responsiveness to the center point on the controller (narrowing the dead zone.). The net result is faster/more responsive movement.

Mifec

I forgot how much I hate playing FPS games on console. The input lag is also pretty bad.

Hope the PC version is up to snuff since I can get it for 30 which is usually what I'm comfortable paying for games that have Denuvo.

Safe code for anyone who needs it is

Roussow

This one, I presume:

Cheers, I didn't feel the input latency as bad in Dishonored 2, probably because it appreciably aggressive auto-aim on weapons like the crossbow, which would actually unlock from the center of the screen at points to target heads. Plus there wasn't that much twitch action in that game (at least how I played it). Glad to hear about a fix in the final build, I was already 100% sold on this concept with this team, so I didn't really need this demo, but it'll at least put me in a good head-space for when I start the full game proper.

Disappointed the first safe code isn't 0451. You had ONE job.

Morgan's
office
code is 0451.

And I don't think the demo is bad as some people would say it. Yeah, the combat music and the input lag are annoying. But other than that, I'm having a good time.

Thermal Phantom in Trauma Center is kicking my ass and I'm playing on hard

jacobeid

Banned
I downloaded this on PS4 but reading through the impressions is kind of rough. sounds like I should wait it out for performance patches. Not that I would buy day one anyway since they aren't demoing the PC version....for some reason....

I was really interested in and semi-psyched about this game and came in here with a bit of excitement...

These impressions are kind of deflating that. The descriptions of the sound issues, obnoxious jump scares and complaints about weightlessness basically play right into some of my major pet peeves. I'll still check the demo out I guess but I gotta say, this is sounding pretty lame.

On another note, you'd think the shit they're trying to convince me to buy the game with would be pretty tight. From a consumer's point of view, I don't get things like massive input lag for example. Didn't someone play test this and go 'eh guys...?' or is it something that's really difficult to get right on the dev end?

Mifec

Also they're really on the nose about
you being an alien in the starting tests
. Hope it's actually something cooler than that.

Sotha_Sil

What I'd like to know is if there's options to turn off the mimic warning sound and visual aides.... they seem completely counter to the mimic's gameplay loop.

My only pre-demo fear seems justified. The music ruins the suspense of the mimics when you know one has recently hidden itself in your proximity. Would rather it be triggered by an actual attack animation, if it all. Should be a simple fix, we'll see.

If there's no input lag on the xbox one version and a dev has said they have a fix for the PS4 version, I don't think there's too much cause for concern there. It's hard to say what the deal will be for PC.

Level design, art direction, and world building seem to be first-class once again. Can always trust Arkane for that.

You really read that 4chan leak, didn't you? I'm not putting too much stock into it, yet.

As for Mimics, their A.I system is completely systemic. So the so-called jumpscares differs from player to player.

I'm also curious about this, has it been confirmed whether it'll have a Dishonored style options menu where you can essentially turn off most 'hint/waypointer' type of HUD elements and so on? From a previous post, it sounds like this game has plenty of that going on and I'm not a fan of playing with on-screen markers screaming GO THERE DO THIS in my face constantly.

You really read that 4chan leak, didn't you? I'm not putting too much stock into it, yet.

As for Mimics, their A.I system is completely systemic. So the so-called jumpscares differs from player to player.
The comments don't seem to be about them being systemic, but about the music cues.

SenkiDala

Damn that music LOUD AS FUCK everytime a Mimic appear... It's just dumb... It's not scary at all, no jumpscare, just "shudup shudup shuduuuuuup"... I mean did they even try their game? That is just crazy and breaks the game for me.

Well gonna try on XO now because yes the input lag on PS4 is bad. :(

I'm also curious about this, has it been confirmed whether it'll have a Dishonored style options menu where you can essentially turn off most 'hint/waypointer' type of HUD elements and so on? From a previous post, it sounds like this game has plenty of that going on and I'm not a fan of playing with on-screen markers screaming GO THERE DO THIS in my face constantly.

The demo doesn't have many HUD options going on, unfortunately. You can turn off tutorial/non-tutorial prompts (like keycode notification), though.

However, I still believe there'll be plenty of HUD options in the final game.

The comments don't seem to be about them being systemic, but about the music cues.

If you mean the sound cue when Mimics spot you, that's for every enemy (Including corrupted bots) who spots you.

The combat music is overbearing and it would be better if they cut it out as soon you kill an enemy or the enemy doesn't spot you anymore. Hell, allow people to turn off the combat music and its fine by me

These demo impressions are bumming me out. I was looking forward to this one. Hopefully the final game is better. :(

Its not a disaster, for sure. But yes, the combat music and input lag is an annoyance.

ymgve

Not sure you should put too much faith in that 4chan rumor.
It quickly becomes pretty clear that they're trying to give normal humans alien powers like telekinesis, stealth etc via neuromods, which is more supportive of you being a normal human.

Also, if you were an actual alien, why would the aliens attack you, while the turrets designed to detect alien life forms leave you alone?

Not sure you should put too much faith in that 4chan rumor.
It quickly becomes pretty clear that they're trying to give normal humans alien powers like telekinesis, stealth etc via neuromods, which is more supportive of you being a normal human.

Also, if you were an actual alien, why would the aliens attack you, while the turrets designed to detect alien life forms leave you alone?

Just wanna add something, if you get a number of Typhon-based abilities, the turrets will see you as an alien entity and shoot you on sight.

gstaff

You could call me Arkane shill if you want. I don't mind 😂

Morning update (just got to the office)

1. Re: the PS4 Demo in North America. We're actively talking with Sony and we're being told it's expected at 11am ET

2. We've been actively reading your thread and feedback (thanks!), and the issues concerning audio will be addressed in the release version of the game. Likewise, the reported PS4 controller lag you're experiencing is addressed. To the latter, I covered in a previous thread:

We wish we would have provided this info ahead of time... sorry about that.

3. Re: PC, I just got word that the PC specs should be releasing on Bethesda.net this morning.

As you have other questions, we'll do our best to assist. Thanks!

Auctopus

Ok, just finished. Explored thoroughly before getting to the Hardware Labs door.

Pros

- Nail the System Shock 2 vibe. Loved it.
- The simulation stuff is cool, like turning the Helicopter Pad on and off, hope we see more of that later on.
- Exploration, feels great. Love stuff like jumping off the Office balcony on to the girders.
- Resi. 4 Style Inv. Mgmt.
- Stuff like the Upgrader/Recyler is fun to use.

Cons

Okay, pretty much two things. Music and Encounter Design.

Firstly, the music is WAY too loud. I changed it in the options but it seems to be unaffected when they constantly use music cues whenever an enemy jumps out of nowhere. This gets borderline insufferable towards the end of the demo, in my opinion.

- If one of the Mimics disappear during an encounter for a moment. The music is blaring in your ear when you're trying to find it and won't go away until you find it and kill it. Due to the way they can hide for long periods (in terms of combat time), this removes the otherwise effective immersion.
- It's the same music cue each time, trying to initiate a jump scare.

The worst part about this music volume/erncounter design stuff is it changed the way I played the game by the end of the demo. I would sprint around a new room to make the enemy "jump scares" cue so I could take care of them before exploring the room. There'd be times prior to doing this where I would pick up an audio-log when, whilst listening, a Mimic would appear cueing deafening music that is louder than the audio-log.

It sounds hyperbolic but I don't think I could stand a whole game of that music/encounter design.

The actual music is amazing btw.

------------------

Small note, when you get the video message in the office, if you smash the window, it gives off such a cool effect. Love the amount of interactivity in the game.

Still don't understand the lack of a PC demo....I am VERY interested in this game but I will wait for performance impressions before diving in.

Never thought I'd see so many complaints about something Mick Gordon touches. Even though obviously it's the implementation and not the compositions themselves.

Dyna

I played the demo on PS4 but I really just wasn't feeling it at all, the controls felt pretty awkward and the game looked like a late Xbox 360 title imo. Seems like it's better suited for the PC.

Top Bottom