• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey, Dishonored 2, and Quake Champions screenshots

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So do you know why they don't use id tech for all their titles? I mean maybe apart from mobile, it would seem like a sound choice and can be akin to EA with Frosbite, so that the engine is versatile for all developers, and thus they can share all their techniques, infos, debugs, etc. Does that not make sense or did they start development already on the engines you mentioned above?

idtech was not really an appropriate choice when most of these games started development. It had major limitations and required pretty small play areas, along with having astronomical file size ballooning that would be problematic in games with a lot of assets.

EA has 200 people working on Frostbite to make that proposal work.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
∀ Narayan;212547396 said:
Are you talking about Emily or someone else?

I'm pretty sure that's Delilah Copperspoon from the first game's DLC.

i2pax.png

Zukkoyaki

I love what Bethesda is doing. They've come a long way since the days of Wet and Brink.

Doom and Wolfenstein were fantastic and I had fun with Fallout 4 as well. Dishonored 2 and Prey are two of my most anticipated games. Keep up the good work fellas!

idtech was not really an appropriate choice when most of these games started development. It had major limitations and required pretty small play areas, along with having astronomical file size ballooning that would be problematic in games with a lot of assets.

EA has 200 people working on Frostbite to make that proposal work.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

If you don't mind me asking further as a side question, what does file size ballooning mean or entail?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see, thanks for the explanation.

If you don't mind me asking further as a side question, what does file size ballooning mean or entail?

Essentially, using the original megatexture implementation, the games reached the limitations of a blu-ray disc very quickly and they either had to massively downgrade the assets or ship multiple discs.

This was notably problematic. They actually moved away from that implementation later to something that's not wholly different, but is much more manageable and allows for better texturing without shipping on six blu-rays.

If you were intending to make something with a lot of texture variety or a bigger open world in 2012 though, you would be wary of using idtech, and your game would only be shipping now.

Essentially, using the original megatexture implementation, the games reached the limitations of a blu-ray disc very quickly and they either had to massively downgrade the assets or ship multiple discs.

This was notably problematic. They actually moved away from that implementation later to something that's not wholly different, but is much more manageable and allows for better texturing without shipping on six blu-rays.

If you were intending to make something with a lot of texture variety or a bigger open world in 2012 though, you would be wary of using idtech, and your game would only be shipping now.

Ah yeah, I remember reading something about that in RAGE. Thanks a lot for the explanation once again.

Quake looks extremely 'generic UE3 game' in those screenshots, even though it's not.

But then DOOM looked shitty in shots, but looks and feels amazing in motion, so I'm not concerned one bit.

Come on man, Dishonored 2 does not look that great. Sure it's an improvement, but nothing massive.

Opinions and all. But I think you are crazy. Both the Dishonored games look incredible. I love the style. The bigger scale of Dishonored 2 is blowing me away. (no pun intended)

thelastword

Banned
Opinions and all. But I think you are crazy. Both the Dishonored games look incredible. I love the style. The bigger scale of Dishonored 2 is blowing me away. (no pun intended)
Never said they didn't look good, just that the disparity between the first and the second is not that large as the poster I quoted alluded to.

By all means, if you think it looks amazing and have your reasons, that's fair as well, but I don't think scale makes a game look better as such, by and large...(no pun intended of course ;)

Mifec

But does it have the same type of gameplay? Sorry, i haven't read anything on this yet..

Looks dead space, system shock 2 influenced but with bioshock's meh gameplay so far. At least the really bad gameplay trailer they put out made it look like it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quake looks extremely 'generic UE3 game' in those screenshots, even though it's not.

But then DOOM looked shitty in shots, but looks and feels amazing in motion, so I'm not concerned one bit.

Quake Champs is being designed with 120fps in mind, so it's unlikely to get much of facelift.

Top Bottom