• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

StewboaT_

That's not the point. The point is that its ludicrous to give Prey a 4 for a rare bug (That is already fixed in Steam beta patch) that not a lot of people suffered from.

Hell, the reviewer admitted he would've liked the game more were it not for the bugs.
Yes, but it happened to him and killed the experience. Now that it's fixed I hope he goes back and updates the score, because you're right, it sounded like he was enjoying the game.

I think the review score is fair if you assume that reviews should reflect an individual's enjoyment of a game. However, most consumers will take away from this review that the game is completely shit because they only look at the score.

The solution is quite easy. Ditch scores and stop paying attention to metacritic.

TB has also responded to this 'controversy' with a similar answer.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sps34b

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
The input lag on ps4 makes the game unplayable for me. I would give it a 1/10 if I were to make a review

TrutaS

Even I as a consumer would not tarnish an entire game for a game-breaking bug. Would certainly make a dent, but certainly not bring it to below Britney's Dance Beat (which got a 5.5) . . . Especially after mentioning so many qualities and even saying without that bug it could be "great".. absolutely ridiculous to me.

It's not their job? I'm not convinced about that. Granted, we focus more on tech analysis than normal reviewing, but ignoring technical issues does a disservice to readers. I do believe that reviewers should do their research.

In this case, the reviewer encountered a bug that impacts a low number of users and has since been fixed. The review should be updated to make note of this fact.

What about bugs that aren't so "easily" fixed?

In my play-through, I've had NPCs turn hostile on me without provocation, and received random "objective complete" notifications for things I'm pretty sure that I hadn't done yet.

Also, major spoilers, when I completed the game:
One NPC told me they died when they actually survived.

The game is a masterpiece, but the few issues that crop up in the 11th hour aren't cool.

GlamFM

Banned
Even I as a consumer would not tarnish an entire game for a game-breaking bug. Would certainly make a dent, but certainly not bring it to below Britney's Dance Beat (which got a 5.5) . . . Especially after mentioning so many qualities and even saying without that bug it could be "great".. absolutely ridiculous to me.

Game breaking bug makes any game an instant 0.

Xe4

Banned
Yes, but it happened to him and killed the experience. Now that it's fixed I hope he goes back and updates the score, because you're right, it sounded like he was enjoying the game.

I'd argue a reviewer for IGN needs to think a bit beyond their own enjoyment of a game. They're putting out an article that a ton of people are going to read, so it's important that they try to determine the chances of what killed their enjoyment of a game hurting other's as well. If this were before the game came out that'd be one thing, but it's not like he couldn't have tried to determine whether the problem he was having was common or not.

Game breaking bug makes any game an instant 0.
There's not any game you've enjoyed which has become irreparably broken? I have, and I certainly wouldn't rate it as a zero. Bugs happen, sometimes the game interacts with your computer in a way which causes it to break. It's unfortunate, and it certainly hurt my perception of the game, but it's far from being a 0/10. Again, this isn't a common bug, and Dan is reviewing this game for a site that is meant to inform people.

This thread reminded me why I rarely visit review threads. What a trash fire. People on this site don't seem to understand how reviews or opinions work.
If you could expound on your criticism, that'd be great : )

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Legit one of the best games of the generation for me.

At least the review salt is beginning to subside for me.

Yep wasnt since Wild Hunt did I like a game so damn much. Id be surprised if something tops it for me by the end of the year.

I'd argue a reviewer for IGN needs to think a bit beyond their own enjoyment of a game. They're putting out an article that a ton of people are going to read, so it's important that they try to determine the chances of what killed their enjoyment of a game hurting other's as well. If this were before the game came out that'd be one thing, but it's not like he couldn't have tried to determine whether the problem he was having was common or not.

And how do you put that in a review score? The game has a 95% chance of being a 9 and 5% chance of being a 4?

GlamFM

Banned
There's not any game you've enjoyed which has become irreparably broken? I have, and I certainly wouldn't rate it as a zero. Bugs happen, sometimes the game interacts with your computer in a way which causes it to break. It's unfortunate, and it certainly hurt my perception of the game, but it's far from being a 0/10. Again, this isn't a common bug, and Dan is reviewing this game for a site that is meant to inform people.

Never did I encounter a corrupted save - I know I´m lucky in this regard.

If it happened though I know I would not start over, but stop playing.

The reviewer can only review his experience.

If I was (possibly bad analogy incoming...) reviewing a car and it was super awesome, but after 30 hours the wheels came off AND the manufacturer told me it could not be fixed I´d give it a looooooooooow score.

Demption

Why OP isn't listing the IGN score?

Because it is not deserve to be there.

So Gaffers decide for other Gaffers which reviews are good and which ones aren't? What is the point of these threads if only fans of the game are here declaring which is a good review and which is bad review. These threads should inform people of reviews. Also the ones you don't like or agree with.

ISee

Listening to last weeks EZA podcast and hearing Ian talking about Prey and dismissing it as just another FPS made me realise how bad the PR for Prey has been.

Now with DF making it sound like the console versions are unplayable, the hate for no Pro support and bad scores from big review sites this game and genre is dead in the water.

But at least we can be hyped for another WW2 call of duty with that superb linear, cinematic experience. Because that ww2 genre is fresh and exciting. Yeah!

kAmui-

If you could expound on your criticism, that'd be great : )

I just think it's ridiculous that people are losing their minds over a subjective review score that represents the reviewer's own experience with the game. Even throwing around accusations of corruption or whatever. Then there are people digging around old IGN reviews for games like Britney's whatever and that God Hand and Party Babyz comparison image like they have anything to do with this or matter anyway because those reviews have years between them and are most likely written by different people. And as we by now should know reviews are subjective.

Don't get me wrong, there is valid criticism for that review (and reviews in general) here too. It's just scattered between hyperbole and bullshit.

So Gaffers decide for other Gaffers which reviews are good and which ones aren't? What is the point of these threads if only fans of the game are here declaring which is a good review and which is bad review. These threads should inform people of reviews. Also the ones you don't like or agree with.

Also this.

SomTervo

Yep wasnt since Wild Hunt did I like a game so damn much. Id be surprised if something tops it for me by the end of the year.

It's another injustice on par with Dying Light, imo. An 8-9/10 game whacked down a couple of points because... reviewers don't get it? They didn't have time to play/had to rush it? The marketing was bad? The PS4 version wasn't great?

I just think it's ridiculous that people are losing their minds over a subjective review score that represents the reviewer's own experience with the game. Even throwing around accusations of corruption or whatever.

Of course reviews are reviews, subjective, idiosyncratic, etc... but that doesn't stop being upsetting when you can picture so many people not buying the game because of a score (even if they read the reviews, like in IGNs case, they might still buy)

seph1roth

I can understand some bad reviews if there are technical issues, but only if they treat the rest of the games the same way.

I've never seen this complaints marked on the reviews of Skyrim, Fallout 3, Dishonred 2 on PC and even in Assassins Creed Unity, so why Prey?

It's a pitty because this game is with Doom the best fps campaign i've played in 13 years by an enormous difference, and a great successor of System Shock 2. (Dishonored 2 too but for me it's not an FPS).

As i said before, if Prey had been released in 1999, it would be one of the GOTY of that year.

ActWan

I just saw the IGN review (didn't read it because I'm afraid of minor spoilers) and I have a question- are the game breaking bugs that major? Can I avoid them by backing up my saves?

Most reviews have become ridiculous clickbait articles written by idiots. You shouldn't listen to this crap. Really, we shouldn't even make review threads anymore.

GlamFM

Banned
Most reviews have become ridiculous clickbait articles written by idiots. You shouldn't listen to this crap. Really, we shouldn't even make review threads anymore.

Smart advice.

Guys, make your purchase decision solely based on marketing material provided by the publisher.

This thread reinforces my respect for Eurogamer opting to drop review scores. Also makes me believe the increased influence youtubers like ACG are gaining is only going to be good for the industry.

Prey has technical issues which should definitely be called out, I'm not disputing that, however, it also makes some fantastic design choices, an arbitrary numeric score doesn't communicate any of this. This becomes a big problem when influential sites such as metacritic use that number to inform potential consumers. They're not being informed of anything, which is the whole point of a reviews.

The only thing a review score does is add a value which readers can use for comparison against other games, but that falls apart when multiple reviewers have widely different opinions & methods of scoring. It's even worse if they're under one banner because it highlights the inconsistency.

We hold games to a high standard, expecting them to improve & evolve over time, we should expect sites with significant influence over the industry to do the same. Drop review scores, come up with something better, games are too complex to be defined by a singular numeric value.

benzopil

Smart advice.

Guys, make your purchase decision solely based on marketing material provided by the publisher.

Or read only 9/10 reviews.

What's even the point of "clickbaiting" with such unpopular game. It would make sense with Zelda or Horizon, but nobody did that. Everyone expresses it's own opinion. Here's the same situation.

SomTervo

Or read only 9/10 reviews.

What's even the point of "clickbaiting" with such unpopular game. It would make sense with Zelda or Horizon, but nobody did that. Everyone expresses it's own opinion. Here's the same situation.

It's not an unpopular game. Did the reviews give you that impression?

GlamFM

Banned
What are you talking about? Use your brain. There is youtube. There are user reviews. There is neogaf and other forums.

Listened to user reviews, watched some youtube videos, bought the game, refunded it after close to 2 hrs.

Sales thread and the fact that many people were surprised that the game was out sure indicate that the game was somewhat "unpopular".

I´d assume the big sites have traffic data to back this up.

benzopil

I mean it wasn't hyped, it didn't outsell Mario in UK and lots of people on GAF were not even aware it's released judging by their posts in other threads. I'm playing it myself right now.

SomTervo

I mean it wasn't hyped, it didn't outsell Mario in UK and lots of people on GAF were not even aware it's released judging by their posts in other threads. I'm playing it myself right now.

Ah, I see, fair enough

Sales thread and the fact that many people were surprised that the game was out sure indicate that the game was somewhat "unpopular".

I´d assume the big sites have traffic data to back this up.

The connotation of 'unpopular' was that people didn't like it; but the comment was in reference to hype/sales/uptake, which is fair enough.

phant0m

Listened to user reviews, watched some youtube videos, bought the game, refunded it after close to 2 hrs.

That's a shame, what didn't you like? I admit the opening hour or so is pretty rough, but after ~3-4 hours it really starts to shine. GOTY contender for sure.

ISee

What's the point?

Listened to "official" garbage reviews, bought the game, refunded it after close to 2 hrs.

He just doesn't get tiered of telling us how much he dislikes the game.
He comes back every two-three pages and repeats the same things, more or less.
It's fine to share your opinion or to dislike a game, but meanwhile I'm rolling my eyes a bit.

GlamFM

Banned
That's a shame, what didn't you like. I admit the opening hour or so is pretty rough, but after ~3-4 hours it really starts to shine.

The combat.

He just doesn't get tiered of telling us how much he dislikes the game.
He comes back every two-three pages and repeats the same things, more or less.
It's fine to share your opinion or to dislike a game, but meanwhile I'm rolling my eyes a bit.

What´s this garbage? We´re talking about reviews here.

SomTervo

In the IGN review he also complains about items in the inventory not stacking.

It literally takes one button press to autosort your inventory and give you maximum free space possible. You barely need to touch inventory management if you pay attention.

The combat.

On PC yeah? The combat feels amazing to me. Especially once you've got more mobility, upgrade wrench, get shotgun, pistol, GLOO. Always dodging, shooting fire extinguishers, throwing nullwaves or recycler grenades, enemies throwing things at you and running away... Enemies wailing on you, you fleeing and hiding, doubling back around, ambushing them... using turrets in strategic places or choke points...

So good. Was it just the feel you didn't like? Combat becomes increasingly avoidable as you move forward, too.

Reviewer calls out a game for being buggy and it's clickbait? OK... You can disagree with his score, but I doubt the dude is lying about his experience for the clicks. Read the text, don't just look at the score.

If the reviewer had given a 9/10 would it still be clickbait? Or is that only reserved for reviews you don't agree with?

No they don't. They don't matter at all. They only matter because you want them to matter. It's your own opinion that matters. There are other ways to see if a game is good or not.
You know all the things you listed are still based on what other people are saying right? Just like a review. They matter because people use reviews. Just like forum posts matter, just like Youtube videos matter. There are other ways, sure, and there are also reviews. Why don't review matters, but the other type of media that share an experience someone had with a game do?

GlamFM

Banned
In the IGN review he also complains about items in the inventory not stacking.

It literally takes one button press to autosort your inventory and give you maximum free space possible. You barely need to touch inventory management if you pay attention.

On PC yeah? The combat feels amazing to me. Especially once you've got more mobility, upgrade wrench, get shotgun, pistol, GLOO. Always dodging, shooting fire extinguishers, throwing nullwaves or recycler grenades, enemies throwing things at you and running away... Enemies wailing on you, you fleeing and hiding, doubling back around, ambushing them... using turrets in strategic places or choke points...

So good. Was it just the feel you didn't like?

Played on PC, but with a controller. The reliance on melee combat with enemies mostly crawling on the floor was horrible really.

Realizing that I would still have to hit enemies with a wrench after shooting them with my foam gun turned me way off.

I´ll probably get it again at some point when it´s closer to the 30€ range because the game has some aspects that are right up my alley.

SomTervo

Played on PC, but with a controller. The reliance on melee combat with enemies mostly crawling on the floor was horrible really.

Realizing that I would still have to hit enemies with a wrench after shooting them with my foam gun turned me way off.

I´ll probably get it again at some point when it´s closer to the 30€ range because the game has some aspects that are right up my alley.

Honestly, if you get it again, go mouse. Fighting Mimics becomes actually fun when you can spin and track them 1:1. You don't even have to GLOO them once you get better at understanding their movement; you just side step, whack, whack whack.

Also gets easier once you have the shotgun that can one-shot them and the pistol that 2-4 shots them (once upgraded).

That said, it is frankly a big problem with the enemy/combat design that mimics move so much and so fast. On mouse it's fine, it's made for it, but on joypad? Must be painful. Definitely an error in the monster design.

GHG

But you don't have to do any of that apart from in the early game segments...

Lord help anyone who goes through the whole game playing like that. I can't even remember the last time I had to deal with a mimic myself. I always carry a turret with me.

ISee

What´s this garbage? We´re talking about reviews here.

We are mostly talking about a review that is reflecting your personal dislike for Prey. I just noticed that you are very eager to side with IGN here while you also were very vocal about your love for ME:A and even called criticism hyperbolic and unjustified.
Back to the ign score: they have of course every right to score the game however they see fit, but there are to problems here. First, there is already a patch available that fixes those bugs. Second, they sometimes ignore severe bugs when scoring games (as pointed out by dark10x from DF).
People of course question now how valid the 4/10 is, while you see a justification for your own opinion.

GlamFM

Banned
We are mostly talking about a review that is reflecting your personal dislike for Prey. I just noticed that you are very eager to side with IGN here while you also were very vocal about your love for ME:A and even called criticism hyperbolic and unjustified.
Back to the ign score: they have of course every right to score the game however they see fit, but there are to problems here. First, there is already a patch available that fixes those bugs. Second, they sometimes ignore severe bugs when scoring games (as pointed out by dark10x from DF).
People of course question now how valid the 4/10 is, while you see a justification for your own opinion.

That´s absolutly not true though - if that matters to you.

The IGN reviewer actually liked the game, but gave it a low score for technical reasons.

The review is absolutely not reflecting my opinion of the game.

I´m reacting to hyperbolic "We should not read reviews" and "There shouldn´t be review threads" posts here.

Charamiwa

Banned
I think the problem is how final those review scores feel. Dan has already said that he won't update the review (for now, I'm sure he'll change his mind eventually) so Prey has now officially a 4 from the biggest review site for the rest of eternity. The review that he worked hard on won't make sense as soon as next week, and his real thoughts on the game won't get noticed because of it. It's just so short sighted.

IGN created reviews-in-progress to be more flexible with their review process, and the fact that Dan decided to go past it and give it this arbitrary score tells me he wanted to make some kind of statement. Out of frustration probably, he said he contacted Arkane, the issue was still there, he decided to go big to express taht frustration. I guess the problem too is how inconsistent this might feel compared to other reviews.

You could also argue that a reviewer has a responsability to know about the game outside of his narrow experience. Sure subjectivity is key, but you also have to realize that your experience might not be the one that everybody has, and you might even be in the extreme minority. So a score that feels very final and does not reflect the experience of 99% of the players, that'll feel irrelevant in less than a week, is a problem. But I'm sure Dan knew that, before he posted it he was preemptively descibing himself as a martyr on twitter.

ISee

That´s absolutly not true though - if that matters to you.

The IGN reviewer actually liked the game, but gave it a low score for technical reasons.

The review is absolutely not reflecting my opinion of the game.

I´m reacting to hyperbolic "We should not read reviews" and "There shouldn´t be review threads" posts here.

Than I misunderstood you and I apologise.

Sorry

Because 'we should not read reviews at all' and 'there shouldn't be review threads' is nonsense. I just wish meta/open critique wouldn't be so important.

mishakoz

Than I misunderstood you and I apologise.

Sorry

Because 'we should not read reviews at all' and 'there shouldn't be review threads' is nonsense. I just wish meta/open critique wouldn't be so important.

I don't think this game will live and die by metacritic. It's gonna die by virtue of getting little to no marketing. Many people didn't even know it was coming out yet.

ISee

I don't think this game will live and die by metacritic. It's gonna die by virtue of getting little to no marketing. Many people didn't even know it was coming out yet.

Mayor review sites like IGN and gamespot giving it low scores definitely doesn't help. Than there is the negativity because of the missing Pro support and DFs console verdict also doesn't help. But you're right the bad marketing is surely the biggest factor. I even had to buy this game for my brother on steam, because he even refused to give the demo a try after watching trailers.

(And I know I'm repeating myself at this point).

Top Bottom