• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems after Wii U Firmware Update (Freezing, Lock Up) - Anyone Else Having Issues?

Zee-Row

Banned
I've had my Wii U since launch and i've never had a lock up until I did the recent update. It locked on me when I was closing the panorama app. Weird , it just seems random to me.

wsippel

Banned
Stability wise, the latest update made no difference as far as I can tell. My system locked up twice exiting games, but at least you don't have to unplug the power cord anymore when that happens.

ohlawd

Syncing remotes have been a problem for me. Stupid thing just don't "save" my wiimotes so to speak.

But I got the system the same day the update rolled out so I can't compare how it was pre-update.

I had my first hard lock yesterday, watching YouTube. The console and game pad became completely unresponsive and frozen on a video.

I held down the power button on the WiiU and it shut down. I powered down the game pad seperately (after), as it was frozen too.

I haven't played my U a lot, got it beginning April as my bday gift (haven't even added GAF friends yet - too busy with MH3U 3DS), so the update gave it a problem, considering it never had any issue before :(

VanWinkle

After the firmware update my system is finally NOT freezing! Sorry to hear that's not the case for you, though, OP. :(

chrono01

After quitting a game and then going into Miiverse it really takes a very long time to load or I will get an error code, but after that, clicking on Miiverse again it will load the app in the usual, around 6 seconds, time. This is the only problem I have after the Spring update. No lockups though.

I've been experiencing this as well.

Tokieda

If anyone here has had their Wii U repaired/replaced -- NOA did transfer all save data and accounts over, right?[/b] Not that I could do much about it, but I vaguely remember someone muttering about issues with NOA repairs and Wii U save data... or was it Wii Mode save data?

I'm in PAL land, but I had my Wii U replaced 2 months back.
I lost all my save data, but they transferred my NNiD, so I could redownload all my purchases, both on WiiU AND on Wii.

If you do decide to turn it in, make a copy of your data (SD card for Wii, USB for Wii U).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm in PAL land, but I had my Wii U replaced 2 months back.
I lost all my save data, but they transferred my NNiD, so I could redownload all my purchases, both on WiiU AND on Wii.

If you do decide to turn it in, make a copy of your data (SD card for Wii, USB for Wii U).

I can't, though, thanks to the inability to either enter Wii mode or to access System Settings.

(Even if they DID transfer my NNID, are save files still compatible?)

Tokieda

I can't, though, thanks to the inability to either enter Wii mode or to access System Settings.

(Even if they DID transfer my NNID, are save files still compatible?)

Didn't catch that, sorry, I just scan-read your post.

I don't think the saves would be incompatible, then again I've never tried. I just know that despite save file losses, I am a happier man since getting a new Wii U.

Netflix doesn't work for me anymore, just get error messages. No idea what the problem could be.

Reinstall the app, and you should be fine.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lego City is locking for me after this update. It happens randomly after around 1 hour, screen freezes and all i get is loud beep from speakers. So, hard reset is the only way to fix it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A friend of mine is having freezing after the update, with Land and CoD.
Mine and all other friends of mine are ok

I'm beginning to wonder if this hard lock stuff is going to become a RROD like fiasco because of a fundamental flaw in the system. I appreciate RROD was a hardware problem, but doesn't seem to be much consistency in Nintendo's attempts to patch the system.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm beginning to wonder if this hard lock stuff is going to become a RROD like fiasco because of a fundamental flaw in the system. I appreciate RROD was a hardware problem, but doesn't seem to be much consistency in Nintendo's attempts to patch the system.

the rate is not even close, imho (I notice that NoA products seem to be more affected by the issue, btw), and the damage is not comparable (it's annoying but the vast majority of the affected console are not broken), and the patch is not focused to fix this issue but to speed up the OS and introduce new features (as the background auto-install download etc...), so hopefully they can increase also the stability with further updates

jdforge

Banned
I had connection issues shortly after the update for a day or so. However everything is working perfectly now.

My unit hard locked once since launch and I play on it almost everyday.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No problems so far, but all I've played is Rayman and Xenoblade. Maybe I'll check out my copy of Nintendoland for you.

The only time it almost froze was when I went to Miiverse during the Panorama View Demo Trailer. It was looking for the room but couldn't find it. Eventually it gave up and simply gave me an error message and closed Miiverse. I heard in the early days something like that could cause a freeze so they seem to have implemented an error check there.

Yonafunu

I've never had any problems with my Wii U. Not a single lock-up or freeze. Before or after the update.
It's strange how every system seems to perform differently...

My Japanese unit used to hard lock quite often and hasn't since the 3.0.0 update.
However, I haven't played Need for Speed since update.

creid

I was having a pretty bad problem that first showed up right before downloading the latest update. The gamepad would constantly complain that it has lost connection to the system, no matter how close it was to the system. The problem persisted after the update, and it happened reliably every time I turned on the system. Then I turned it on yesterday so I could get the exact error message to contact Nintendo support, and all of a sudden it's perfectly fine. This kind of scares me because now I think the problem will only return when I'm playing something, whereas I'd rather get it fixed now when I'm not using it much. As far as I can tell there was no interference in my apartment at the time, and I don't think anything external changed.

Mr Swine

Banned
Only issue I had with my brothers Wii U was in NSMBU where the game froze for like a half a second the it has been running fine

DoubleTap

I play mine everyday (MonHun and Madden) and no lock ups or freezes whatsover. 8GB unit with an old 80GB HDD attached.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm going to install Tank! Tank! Tank! and see if a fresh install does anything... it really feels like something is hanging when cached memory could be being flushed...

pa22word

Sorry for the late bump, but I just got the update a bit ago and Netflix (which is the main utility for the system considering...you know >.>) and now Netflix crashes the system constantly. It plays the start up splash screen and then goes to a black screen and plays the intro music on loop until I kill the system.

chronosic

Sorry for the late bump, but I just got the update a bit ago and Netflix (which is the main utility for the system considering...you know >.>) and now Netflix crashes the system constantly. It plays the start up splash screen and then goes to a black screen and plays the intro music on loop until I kill the system.
Have the exact same problem. I really hope they patch it, it's so annoying having it lock up a third of the time I open the program.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If Netflix is going black on start-up, one thing to try is deleting your user preference file which means you'll have to enter your password again when starting up.

Apparently people on Miiverse have found this seems to be causing a lot of hangs. Something is corrupt in the file and it hangs when trying to log in. I tested this once here and it has seemed to fix Netflix... for now.

I used to have issues with netflix and I activated a bug in Lego City with the recent update but otherwise all plain sailing here.

Netflix was solved by deleting my user file and re-entering my details, it's been fine since, hoping now it wont corrupt up again as I did that once before and it worked for a bit before going back into loading loop.

Oddly enough replacing my router seems to have done wonders for my Wii U, online is a LOT more stable and Netflix actually loads instead of getting stuck in a loading loop like before.

Wii U does still have loading speed issues, but thats the fall update now that'll fix that issue right?

Top Bottom