• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) Official Thread

Chocolatewise, here, as it turns out, is how my brain works:

Why are there bites in the chocolate? The bites are significant. The bites tell you how to modify the letters. If there's a bite on the left, it's the letter before this one. But there are bites on the top. Where are letters arranged on top of other letters? On a keyboard.

Total time: 5 minutes or so.

Amir0x

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
I didn't even see the damn bites. I just thought they were crinkly crenelations. I fucking mapped out phone keypad letters, nearby QWERTY letters, but I just wasn't seeing the answer.
Ended up faq'ing it.

Funny thing is,
I NOTICED the bites...
I was drawing fake worms coming out of them while I was trying to figure out what to do. Like I said, until the explanation got read to me after I solved it I didn't even know that was how to do it :lol

warthog

Loved the game. Some annoying puzzles (dog ran over + chocolate), but overall very nice. I need more puzzles, moooooooooooooooore

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Justin Bailey said:
Does anyone know if/when the sequel will be released in the US?

It's confirmed in the manual. Maybe doesn't have a firm date yet but it should be this year. They have a bunch in Japan so far. The bastards.

Wizpig

I'm gonna download the new puzzle now.
Anyway, i'm [slooowly] progressing in the game.
I'm now where
the glasses-guy at the mansion [sorry, forgot the name] gets killed, a detective arrives and you discover a lot of people is being kidnapped. Woo-hoo plot twists :lol

Alright I'm playing this game, and loving it so far. The atmosphere, music, graphics etc. are all just charming! I just started Chapter 5, where I have to
finally start searching for the Golden Apple

I could be totally wrong on this, but I think
some of the villagers or maybe all of them? are robots or something. I mean, that kidnapper guy looked like a mecanic with his tools inside his hat (I saw them for a second in a scene when he ran away) and I think he probably kidnapped that buttler to repair him maybe?
If that's not it I'll probably look like an idiot when I come back to this thread after I know the truth.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Amir0x said:
Hahhaa, let me tell you about this! This puzzle was THE ONLY PUZZLE I had to use a hint on.

So I was sitting there during a lull at work, and I got to this puzzle. And you know, I'm trying to figure out what it could mean... really,
I don't know how anyone could solve it without the game first telling you to look at a keyboard, but regardless I sat there for a while just sort of putting in different two word phrases. "Love ya", "Miss Me", "Kiss me", "Lick me", etc etc. Eventually at some point, I buy the clues and like you I'm looking at cellphone keypads and back to the regular keyboard.
Again, nothing.

I eventually get like half of my work crew in the office shooting ideas at me. Nothing nothing nothing. Getting frustrated now. But it's time for lunch. Sitting there on the line, waiting to check out. Like a lightning bulb, it hits me...
tech minded? "Texting" thumb? IT'S TEXT ME
. I enter that shit so quick, and nearly toss the DS against the wall when the bitch reveals that was it. I didn't learn until AFTER I solved it exactly why that was correct.

oh thats the answer, OOOOOO. makes sense I guess. I had no more hint coins so I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. gave up, ima go do it now.

Did anyone else notice that the solution they give for puzzle # 116 is incorrect? The puzzle explicitly states that every row, column and diagonal has to have the same sum, but with their solution, the top row and bottom row and left column and right column all have different sums. The highest possible sum you can get is 141, and the correct answer should have been 47.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I got this game for my sister for her birthday... she didn't like it, so I started playing it.

I was a bit surprised by the fact that it's not really "a game", but more a digital puzzle book wrapped up in a thin story. Once you understand that, everything clicks into place... but I spent the first 15 minutes being annoyed/frustrated by the fact that there was no adventure/whatever game there...

Interesting concept, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nincompoop said:
Did anyone else notice that the solution they give for puzzle # 116 is incorrect? The puzzle explicitly states that every row, column and diagonal has to have the same sum, but with their solution, the top row and bottom row and left column and right column all have different sums. The highest possible sum you can get is 141, and the correct answer should have been 47.

You misinterpreted the question, although it is their fault because it's ambiguous. You're supposed to read into the question that any three sets of numbers including the center number give you the same total.

That's why those don't matter.

(FWIW I solved the puzzle using an algorithm I wrote to calculate it for me and I got it right, so obviously when I went through it I understood... but looking at the wording now it is sort of ambiguous.)

Well I figured that out based on their diagram, but with the way the question was worded I don't see how anybody can possibly interpret it as meaning "only rows and column which go through the center". The puzzle description explicitly states EVERY row and column, and doesn't mention any restrictions. Furthermore, every magic square puzzle I have ever seen requires that every row and column has to have the same sum, not just the ones that go through the middle. Clearly the developers didn't do a very good job thinking the question through.

nli10

Loved the game.

Got the answer to the Choc Code while lying in bed thinking about the puzzle itself and like Ami THEN saw how to get to that answer...
FWIW I never noticed the bites at all

My copy of the game has my file(134/135), my sisters file (127 ish) and my GFs file (was in the 80s when I last saw it) and has been played far more than I expected. Anyone else in a similar position?

Anyone any ideas on a time frame for the USA version of the sequel? Or the actual Euro version of the 1st game (but I'll probably import again on such a GF friendly title :D ).

91 puzzles done, 8 hours. Brilliant game, happy to go back and find the other 29, and do the weeklies. Best purchase in ages.

Saitou

Banned
Am I the only one who had to play this with the volume turned all the way down?

Srsly, next time hire REAL british voice actors, for fuck's sake. Or just beat whoever voiced Luke with a nail bat.

jibblypop

Banned
I just picked this up again to download all the recent Wi-fi puzzles. I'm very surprised at how easy the downloadable puzzles have been compared to some of the stuff that was in the story mode.
I was thinking they might be doing that to relieve the frustration of novice players that have gotten stuck in the story mode..

either way it's a nice bonus to get new puzzles even after completing the game.

Wizpig

I'm at Chapter 10, or maybe it was 9, i can't really remember but...

This game is fucking AMAZING.
I mean, i'd pay full price just for the plot/soundtrack/anime cutscenes, even without the actual GAME.
It's just THAT awesome.

And holy fuck at [major spoiler, you better read this only if you finished the game because i forgot the chapter it was in :lol]
the Detective being Layton's archenemy in disguise

Anyway i'm now about to
enter the Tower!
Saitou said:

Srsly, next time hire REAL british voice actors, for fuck's sake. Or just beat whoever voiced Luke with a nail bat.
Yeah you're the only one, i think.
Layton's voice is fucking amazing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Saitou said:

You're missing good music.

PolyGone

Banned
Wizpig said:
This game is fucking AMAZING.
I mean, i'd pay full price just for the plot/soundtrack/anime cutscenes, even without the actual GAME.
It's just THAT awesome.

Totally agree, can't wait to see whats in store in the next two games. Proud to say I never used a faq though a couple of puzzles were a real pain. The first match stick puzzle (the one with the dog) I got right on my first try, but the matches weren't aligned just right so the game thought I got it wrong. I ended up trying a bunch of other things until finally coming round to the same answer!

I finally beat this game last weekend, and what a joy that was. The only puzzle that completely pissed me off was
The Birth Day puzzle, where you have to figure out the girls age. My first guess? 01/02. This is wrong. So I keep guessing and guessing and guessing.wrong, wrong, and wrong. Finally, I look up the stupid puzzle's answer, and it's 1/2.

Still, this game was awesome, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
crowphoenix said:
I finally beat this game last weekend, and what a joy that was. The only puzzle that completely pissed me off was
The Birth Day puzzle, where you have to figure out the girls age. My first guess? 01/02. This is wrong. So I keep guessing and guessing and guessing.wrong, wrong, and wrong. Finally, I look up the stupid puzzle's answer, and it's 1/2.

Still, this game was awesome, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I know this part pissed me off too, I kept getting that bullshit failed horn sound after "how about this!!" ........ "bwaaannnnnphhfft"

GODAM GAME I GAVE YOU THE RIGHT ANSWER!@

Teasel

tabsina said:
Just saw this on the ever-reliable wikipedia website, but would like a confirmation here since i assume most of you would know about it already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Layton_and_the_Curious_Village#Downloadable_content

so is it true?
yup
here is the complete list of puzzles including the downloadable one
http://deufeufeu.free.fr/layton/puzzles.html
i'm the only one who thought the 6th weekly puzzle was retarded?
to this point even after using gamefaqs and reading the answer i still don't understand it

Wizpig

I finished the game.
The ending was simply touching, almost poetic.
So awesome :\

Give me more Layton and Luke goodness, i need the sequel NOW.

Wizpig

I noticed that there are unlockables, but you need a lot of Picarats.

Can you unlock ALL of those even with the minimum number of Picarats obtainable in the game?

tabsina

Wizpig said:
I noticed that there are unlockables, but you need a lot of Picarats.

Can you unlock ALL of those even with the minimum number of Picarats obtainable in the game?

i only noticed the unlockables when i had already finished the game, in which i had lost a lot of picarats on, and they had already been unlocked.. i'm pretty sure they've made it so that the minimum will still unlock it, and the 'maximum' will just unlock them faster

Panda

I've just finished it myself, playing on and off for a while. The ending was really heart warming! Can't wait for the sequels.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What the FUCK was today's downloadable puzzle about? That wasn't even a puzzle. The solution was immediately obvious!

Just picked it up today and love it. The thing that wowed me the most was the presentation. I was surprised to see voice acting, and fmv cutscenes. It'd be nice to see a Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice game have some of these production values. I've done 16 puzzles so far, and some have kicked my ass.

Is there a secret or method to solving the 8-piece sliding puzzles? Perhaps there's a system involved that I'm not seeing, but I have a very difficult time with these.

PS: Puzzle #50 (OTTF) is the perfect example of thinking harder than you really have to. I was stuck on that one for a while.

Ramenman

Kobun Heat said:
Chocolatewise, here, as it turns out, is how my brain works:

Why are there bites in the chocolate? The bites are significant. The bites tell you how to modify the letters. If there's a bite on the left, it's the letter before this one. But there are bites on the top. Where are letters arranged on top of other letters? On a keyboard.

Total time: 5 minutes or so.

Same here.

I...

I really don't get it. People are all bitching about dog ran over and chocolate message while I had them figured out in like 5 mins (less for the dog).

And I'm NOT some kind of super puzzle guy, I actually had a hard time with a lot of puzzles. This is like bizarro world.

tabsina

Ramenman said:
Same here.

I...

I really don't get it. People are all bitching about dog ran over and chocolate message while I had them figured out in like 5 mins (less for the dog).

And I'm NOT some kind of super puzzle guy, I actually had a hard time with a lot of puzzles. This is like bizarro world.

people had trouble with the dog one? i didn't even notice anything challenging about it.. maybe i'll have another look at it with that in mind to see why that is...

The problem I had with the dog one was that I solved it instantly but the game said I'd got it wrong. This making me look at it for a long, long time, without being able to see anything plausible other than my original solution, before eventually giving up and checking Gamefaqs to see that I was right in the first place.

It seems it must be extremely particular about the matches being in exactly the right places. If they're the tiniest bit out then there's no indication that you were close, it just says WRONG.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just finished the game (took it real slowly, playing like 10 minutes every night). Loved the puzzles, although some were way to easy, and others a little confusing or misleading. Good for the most part though. I liked the ending ok, but the lead up wasn't that great. Climbing the tower for the most part lacked any suspense or mystery. It wasn't as creepy or horrifying once inside. That and none of those puzzles were any harder than in the town. Here's hoping to an even better sequel. Anyone know when part 2 will hit our shores?

I ended up resorting to a FAQ for it. Good thing too, because I never would have gotten it.

Slightly less obscure hint:
Think about real-life creatures that do things with your blood.

Top Bottom