• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) Official Thread

Shiggy

I still wonder when we will see this game in Europe, I'll probably buy it in New York for only half the price we would have to pay. What's the general tax rate there? 8%?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shiggy said:
I still wonder when we will see this game in Europe, I'll probably buy it in New York for only half the price we would have to pay. What's the general tax rate there? 8%?
8.375%

womp

Shiggy said:
This might be quite off-topic, but do I also have to pay sales taxes while buying at Amazon.com (shipment destination would be Maryland)?

No.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.

Wizpig

I just downloaded the latest 4 DLC puzzles.
Not counting the last one, the one of the hat in the river, which seems pretty hard to me, the other 3 were so damn easy and stupid that i solved them seconds after i finished to read the explanation.
Especially the one of the two coins [sigh -_-], but the one of the knight and the one of the eggs were too easy aswell.

Ydahs

Just beat the game and all I can say is WOW!

I thought it'd be an okay game when I first got it but bloody hell, this is one awesome game. Some puzzles are a bit stupid and misleading (
Alien/compass puzzle...
), but in general they're really clever and require some thought. Early on I kept on taking the logical approach and kept on inputting the wrong answers, but eventually I began taking my time and analyzing each puzzle.

Some took a matter of minutes while others left me without sleep. I said to myself that I'm not going to quit any puzzle and I'm gonna keep trying until I get it right. Oh how I regret that :lol

The story was much better than I expected. Like the rest of the game, I thought it was going to be average at best, but it was really well thought out. I really liked how everything fell together at the end.

At first I really didn't like the art style but it grew on me. The animated clips were outstanding for the most part.

Finished the game with 111 or so puzzles completed in sixteen hours. I am now a fan of puzzle games. Bring on the sequel!

I'd give this game an A. Easily the best DS game I've played.

webrunner

was 8-10 the last puzzle? If so, it's not a good one to go out on: there's at least two other solutions that are 'correct' by the puzzle description, but aren't accepted because they don't use every tile and every bit of wire.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
how exactly does the DLC work? can you get it all at once, or if you miss a week you miss out? and can you keep all of it on the cart?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You can unlock every weekly puzzle up to the most recent release.
They're already on the cart. The "DLC" is nothing more than a flipped lock/unlock flag.
Hell, you can use a cheat device to unlock them all right now.

mattiewheels said:
how exactly does the DLC work? can you get it all at once, or if you miss a week you miss out? and can you keep all of it on the cart?
It already is on your card, you're only downloading a key to unlock it.
And yes, you automatically get every puzzle from past weeks when you start the Wifi thingy in Layton.

webrunner said:
was 8-10 the last puzzle? If so, it's not a good one to go out on: there's at least two other solutions that are 'correct' by the puzzle description, but aren't accepted because they don't use every tile and every bit of wire.

I guess it might've been since there wasn't one for this past week.

And yeah, I agree with your critique. I had one that worked and it confused me what I did wrong, so I just played around with it until the whole thing connected.

TomServo

Junior Asparagus said:
Slightly less obscure hint:
Think about real-life creatures that do things with your blood.

Awesome hint. Got it immediately, but don't feel like I completely cheated. Thanks!

Now to figure out the damn five boxes into four match puzzle...

polg

Just finished the game, and wow... The story is amazing, and even though many people might consider it finishing with a happy ending, but I find the whole tale quite sad.

I finished with 113 puzzles, I really wish there was an easy way to find other than playing the whole thing again!

edit: apparently if the missing puzzles
didn't show up in the lady's house
then you can still get to them.

the-iek

i got hyped by this thread again and started to finish the last puzzles. i've got about 120 of them right now, think i'll get the last ones tomorrow. but layton is still a great game, even if the puzzles are sometimes unbalanced.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
grandjedi6 said:
Sounds like a job for Professor Layton!
zmmrkg.gif

mrkgoo

I just finished this. nice game. I had heard many of the puzzles before, so it was mostly straight forward. Took like 10 hours, 4000+Picarats, 137 hints left, with 114 puzzles.

Went back and finished the rest of them - the penny puzzle (12 pennies one is heavier or lighter) is on eof my favourites that I already knew, and had written a solution for years ago - so I just consulted that :D

Link1110

Fuu said:
rayc7m.jpg

Heh,
the bites are actually very visible in the Japanese version and it instantly looks like they have relevance to the solution.
I wish the drawing in the English version was like that.

I also played it very slowly. I think it's the way to go really, the puzzles are perfect for pick up and play instead of going through many of them at one go.

As far as I know, it starts with this game. Maybe they'll get more development in the sequels since it's a trilogy. :)
What's the answer to this in the Japanese version?
Googling a Japanese keyboard, the best thing I can figure is ついひき, which I don't even think is a word.

It's changed a little from the English version;
instead you use the standard Japanese alphabet chart to get だいすき which means "I really like you."

Shiggy

So is this game a big success in Europe? It's partly sold out and entered most European charts in the top 10 during Christmas time.
I'd guess this would makes us see the sequel next year ;)

fresquito

I've just beaten the game. I've been glued for the last week, and have clocked up to 15 hours. Still I have a handfull of puzzles to find and beat.

I knew I'd like this game, but I never expected that it'd be so damn good. Yes, the game drives itself, and the story is just an excuse to offer you puzzle after puzzle, but the production values are through the roof, and the artsy put into this gem is second to none.

From the music, to the character design, to the animated scenes, everything has been awesome. Of course, the puzzles were great, but the whole package is what sells it.

My fave DS game.

Shiggy said:
So is this game a big success in Europe? It's partly sold out and entered most European charts in the top 10 during Christmas time.
I'd guess this would makes us see the sequel next year ;)
I hope so.

gkryhewy

This game seems to have gotten a second wind or something in the US. I just bought it for my wife (loves it) - it's been a video games top seller (#3 or so) on Amazon continuously for the last while, and has been going in and out of stock. Still full price.

Chairhome

Everytime a Layton thread is bumped with no news of a release date for the 2nd one (US), I die a little inside. And yeah, I know that its coming in 6 months or something.

I think someone mentioned it elsewhere, but its probably due to the recent commercials with Lisa Kudrow. Now, people actually know what this game is and are buying it. Leave it to Nintendo to wait a year after its release to start advertising the game. Maybe if it had been done earlier, the localization would have been complete by now :-(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Chairhome said:
Everytime a Layton thread is bumped with no news of a release date for the 2nd one (US), I die a little inside. And yeah, I know that its coming in 6 months or something.

I think someone mentioned it elsewhere, but its probably due to the recent commercials with Lisa Kudrow. Now, people actually know what this game is and are buying it. Leave it to Nintendo to wait a year after its release to start advertising the game. Maybe if it had been done earlier, the localization would have been complete by now :-(
Didn't know there was one with her, that's nice.

*searchs youtube*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okU3yiDm3tY&fmt=18

That music... Ahh the memories.

migulic

I just spotted this today, Professor Layton 2 popped up on the release schedule of a Belgian/Dutch retailer (Bart Smit). The release date listed (July 1) is probably a placeholder date, but still, this means that the game is probably coming to Europe!

DSC00206.jpg

Here's a (poor quality) photo I took... Layton 2 is second-last.

I would've posted this in a seperate topic, but I can't.

Wizpig

After all these months i played this game again yesterday and found that Chocolate Code puzzle... couldn't solve it.
Any hints? [no spoilers]

But anyway, the real reason i'm bumping this is to find some answers about the different versions of the game... i read the European version has different puzzles?
Like... more than 10 different puzzles? why?
And what about this "Layton 1 US used some of Layton 2 JP puzzles" story?

Now i feel like i'm playing "one" Layton&TCV but not the "real" one... heh, i don't know how to explain it.
I think i'll continue buying the US versions of the series even if i live in Europe anyway.

Thanks in advance

I beat this game earlier this month, even though I owned it since day one XD I found/solved 117 puzzles, I believe. I also downloaded all the available ones from the online service but didn't try them.

Man, I'm glad I didn't suffer like some of you...:lol I beat the game and only have to wait a few months for the sequel :p

Wizpig said:
After all these months i played this game again yesterday and found that Chocolate Code puzzle... couldn't solve it.
Any hints? [no spoilers]
Hint: The solution is really stupid, just look it up.

jrricky

Banned
I beat this 2 months ago too. Completed like 90 something puzzles and solved some of the extra ones I unlocked and ones I downloaded. SO GOOD!

And WTF at the chocolate puzzle also. Where do I find the answer. Gamefaqs?

Wizpig said:
Any hints? [no spoilers]

That one is really stupid. If you still want to try it, think about this "gadget-loving, technophile"

Puzzle 140 - http://deufeufeu.free.fr/layton/puzzles.html Don't worry, site won't show you solutions/hints without you clicking on it.

jrricky said:
And WTF at the chocolate puzzle also. Where do I find the answer. Gamefaqs?

See the link I posted above.

Taurus

I would like to inform you, the person reading this post. If you have a DS but don't own Professor Layton yet, go and buy it as soon as possible.

You will love it. :) <3

Wizpig

Guys, i'm trying to 100% the game, but i'm confused.
I cannot find any new puzzles, i have 4 more puzzles to solve but those are in the secret Layton Challenges [decorator house etc.]... are those for the 100%, too?

Also, the game says i found something like 130 puzzles, BUT i have 132 puzzles in the actual list... hm?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I finished the game, solved 136 puzzles (missing 3 from the unlockables (don't know what to do to unlock them...)), finished all the camera ones; have hamster at level 0, given tea to all the people in the town (fuck this =/), and really don't know were the other 11 or so are.

Great ending, very surprising; almost cried (not really, lol) and will now start downloading puzzles =P.

duckroll

manueldelalas said:
I finished the game, solved 136 puzzles (missing 3 from the unlockables (don't know what to do to unlock them...)), finished all the camera ones; have hamster at level 0, given tea to all the people in the town (fuck this =/), and really don't know were the other 11 or so are.

Great ending, very surprising; almost cried (not really, lol) and will now start downloading puzzles =P.

WRONG THREAD. This is for the first game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
duckroll said:
WRONG THREAD. This is for the first game.
woa! sorry about that, I thought it was a typo in the title =P.

Let me rephrase:

I finished the game, solved all 100 puzzles, got all the secrets, and like 8 weeks of DL puzzles, but haven't plugged in the game in a long time.

Great ending, very surprising; although I felt they cheated a little with the story
robots? really?
. I loved the cut-scenes, the style and the great variety of puzzles.

Wizpig

The last downloadable puzzle was "Bright Idea", right?
But i think they didn't update it with the hint...

27H.gif

This is not shown in my version of the puzzle, odd.

Reza_Neko

Since I'm going out of the country to study abroad, I bought this game to have something for the flight (along with Chrono Trigger DS). I started playing the game and lately, have been feeling stupid when I can't solve a riddle. It's always the math ones that boggle my mind the most (thank goodness my bf is a math tutor and he's usually able to help lol).

Anyways, I really like the Tea mini-game. :D

um.. sorry about the bump but I just got a DSi-XL and I want to pick this game up, is there multiple saves? so me and my wife can play this game?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
JetBlackPanda said:
um.. sorry about the bump but I just got a DSi-XL and I want to pick this game up, is there multiple saves? so me and my wife can play this game?

I finished the second game before Xmas, and there was definitely 3 save slots, which me and my girlfriend each used for the one cart. I assume the first game worked the same, so you should be good.

Edit: beaten

Top Bottom