• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project AM2R getting legally slammed by Nintendo; file hosts hit with DMCA notices

Metroid Database statement on the issue. Basically they're not sure if it's legit yet.

These are what happens if you click on the download links on the AM2R website.

pxvS2e7.jpg

LYCpNp0.jpg

Well, keeping this sort of project on the down-low up until this point was a smart decision, at least, Nintendo can't put the genie back in the bottle when it's already been released.

I wouldn't exactly say it's been on the down low, I remember watching a trailer around 7 years ago. I'm just thankful that it saw release before being possibly ninja'd.

Defect

The best thing that could happen is Nintendo contacting the dev so they can work together to polish and port it to NX.

But of course that would never happen.

TriAceJP

It was completed and the file is out there.

This was going to happen. Period.

The silver lining us that they released it before they drew attention to themselves. This is something 90% of fan projects need to learn.

Morts

I'm glad I downloaded it last night then. Hopefully there aren't any bugs in there that would've required an update.

No stopping it now that it's out there of course, but the dev's still planning updates so it'd be a real bummer to me if they do manage to put a stop to those.

After playing the game I am not really sure additions are necessary but hopefully the dev can sneak out some bugfixes/minor changes after stuff cools down (like the Streets of Rage Remake guy did) and hopefully get Mac and Linux versions out there.

Instro

At least it got out and all, but unfortunately this likely means that the dev will not be able to continue working on the game like they planned. Nintendo sucks.

Orayn

JebaćBiedę;212877633 said:
I'm playing the best Metroid in X years and I payed nothing for it :)

So get fucked Nintendo.

I think that's part of Nintendo's rationale for the takedown.

The silver lining us that they released it before they drew attention to themselves. This is something 90% of fan projects need to learn.

Yep.

"I am making X new game/sequel/remake. Spread the word!"

"Our project got shut down, sorry guys."

Isn't the way to go.

Kyuur

Well, in terms of availability of the remake this means absolutely nothing; the files are out there and will get re-uploaded.

I do worry about them actually taking action against the guy who created the remake; that would be incredibly bad PR though so hopefully that stops any serious harm. I can see them managing to prevent him from releasing updates though. Until then anything like this is about as much non-news as Nintendo taking down random ROM mirrors.

Whales

Banned
Sheesh, good thing they managed to release it

Can you imagine nintendo taking it down like 1 or 2 days before launch?

Well, in terms of availability of the remake this means absolutely nothing; the files are out there and will get re-uploaded.

I do worry about them actually taking action against the guy who created the remake; that would be incredibly bad PR though so hopefully that stops any serious harm. I can see them managing to prevent him from releasing updates though. Until then anything like this is about as much non-news as Nintendo taking down random ROM mirrors.

Basically, but some people want the drama/ to feel justified in coming into every fan game thread with this shit.

TheMoon

"project getting legally slammed" = 2 fileshosting sites took the file down
"comments exploding" = six comments saying the links are dead, one guy doubleposting with random "fu nintendo" cursing.

Do you write for a newsblog by any chance? :D

Acerac

Banned
I had hoped all those gaffers saying that Nintendo wouldn't bother were right.

Nintendo makes such incredible games, but their decisions are so alienating to me as a fan that I just find it hard to support them at a certain point. I said it when I started playing AM2R, I would have gladly purchased this game day 1 from Nintendo, they just refuse to release any 2D Metroids.

Oh well, I'm glad I got the game while it was available, it has been absolutely wonderful.

TimmiT

well crafted? am2r is practically a zero mission rom hack i've seen far more impressive super mario world hacks

I imagine that far more effort goes into remaking all of the game's mechanics and controls and such in a different engine than it is to modify the original game. Because of that alone it's more impressive than the usual rom hack.

Boney

Banned
If Nintendo were smart they'd go and offer him a deal to release this NX and cancel the PC version.

But they're just going to kill he PC version because

Jinkies

If someone could direct me to the torrent that would be appreciated.

The official download page or any torrent site like The Pirate Bay.

NeoGAF isn't suppressing sharing of this information, right? It's a freely distributed original work. Whether it violates a trademark or not is legally irrelevant to those playing the game.

tkscz

This, while I stand by Nintendo not removing every fan game off the web, any fan game that gets THIS much attention (especially when it's a remake for a game they are currently selling) was unfortunately going to be targeted. I didn't know about this game until a day before it came out. It's good so far.

Ridley327

I imagine that far more effort goes into remaking all of the game's mechanics and controls and such in a different engine than it is to modify the original game. Because of that alone it's more impressive than the usual rom hack.

And that's on top of the completely new elements in the game that weren't present in the original game, like the new areas and boss fights. ROM hack, my ass.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
JebaćBiedę;212877633 said:
I'm playing the best Metroid in X years and I payed nothing for it :)

So get fucked Nintendo.

So clearly you understand why Nintendo has gotten the game taken down.

Gvitor

Really sad seeing people boasting "they were right" about the C&D. The C&D talk is toxic. It's disrespectful to both the team working on it and the fans waiting for the game. Comments like "waiting for the C&D" or "Nintendo ninjas ready to get on that C&D" add absolutely nothing to any discussion.

Opa-Pa

What are the chances that these links got taken down because Metroid Database never deleted the news article with them on it? I find it pretty weird that the dev has yet to hear from Nintendo.

If Nintendo were smart they'd go and offer him a deal to release this NX and cancel the PC version.

But they're just going to kill he PC version because

And set a precedent that it's okay for people to infringe on IP because they'll eventually get a deal down the road? There's a reason why businesses don't view these kinds of moves favourably.

Really sad seeing people boasting "they were right" about the C&D. The C&D talk is toxic. It's disrespectful to both the team working on it and the fans waiting for the game. Comments like "waiting for the C&D" or "Nintendo ninjas ready to get on that C&D" add absolutely nothing to any discussion.

How is C&D talk any more disrespectful than the team deciding to create a remake of Nintendo's game without permission?

00ich

That has to be so disappointing for the developer.
Though it's kind of an accolade for the project. Nintendo felt actually threatened.

Ridley327

Maybe this means Nintendo is working on their own Metroid 2 remake?

No, it just means they're protecting their IP. Sadly, I think the ship sailed long ago for an official remake of Metroid 2 when Zero Mission disappointed sales-wise.

So clearly you understand why Nintendo has gotten the game taken down.
Understandable and commendable are two different things. Nintendo are well within their rights to remove it, but everyone else is well within their rights to tell them to get fucked. A fan project like this becoming this involved and thiswell known sounds like the company who owns the IP is doing a terrible job of satisfying their customer base.

Wish it didn't release when I was away from home for a week. Looks like I'll have to go hunting a bit for it by the time I get back.

"project getting legally slammed" = 2 fileshosting sites took the file down
"comments exploding" = six comments saying the links are dead, one guy doubleposting with random "fu nintendo" cursing.

Do you write for a newsblog by any chance? :D

AM2R EVISCERATED FROM THE INTERNET By Nintendo Legal Staff

Backlash ERUPTS from fan community.

Download sites OBLITERATED by takedowns.

ZeroGravity

Amazed at how people are crapping on Nintendo for killing the game, when the guy is remaking a game that he never asked permission for, and thus infringing on IP rights (not to mention said game is on VC).
Yup.

While I think there is a discussion to be had about Nintendo and not having a better relationship with fan creators, they deserve zero blame for doing what they're legally supposed to do: protect their IP.

Mega

Banned
Basically, but some people want the drama/ to feel justified in coming into every fan game thread with this shit.

I'm not interested in the drama. While it's great the game is already out in the wild and most of us grabbed it in time (and still can via the torrent), the fact is this reaffirms the precedent Nintendo established in the past of killing fan projects. And they're making it harder for anyone to get this down the road. I don't think you need to get vested in petty drama to see this isn't good news.

?

Dude's had demos on his site for years as the game has progressed. Nintendo can't have not been aware of it. They simply didn't do anything till now...if this is indeed them and not a DMCA troll.

Branduil

And set a precedent that it's okay for people to infringe on IP because they'll eventually get a deal down the road? There's a reason why businesses don't view these kinds of moves favourably.

You mean like how Valve gave a deal to the Black Mesa people and let them sell the game on their store?

Or maybe how Sega let Christian Whitehead release his Sonic 1 and 2 remakes for iOS? And now they're letting him and other Sonic fangame creators make a new 2D Sonic game?

Boy will their faces be red when they realize how much they've screwed up with their fan and consumer-friendly decisions.

Yup.

While I think there is a discussion to be had about Nintendo and not having a better relationship with fan creators, they deserve zero blame for doing what they're legally supposed to do: protect their IP.

It's not the first time a company is killing its IP by "protecting" it.
Speaking of which, I hope everyone is ready to grab Mother 4 when it gets released :)

Top Bottom