• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I am trying to give some feedback on the difference between GTS and PJC2 and other racing games. Coming from the GT series I went over to the dark side and got a PC.

Giving feedback and an honest opinion is probably one of the hardest things.

It is probably been said or done before, but because of the mostly male in the virtual racing community, how about we rate virtual reality games as if it were women…??

So I have tried Gran Turismo Sport Beta, being a Beta it is hard to say if it is close to the final product. That said, it felt a lot like GT5 and GT6.
See is a pretty thing with curves in all the right places. She used to have a terrible voice though. As she is getting voice training, she starts to sound a bit better. Comparing her to girls like Project Cars 2, iRacing, rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa though, is like using a condom. Still very nice, a bit of a game breaker when you need to use it and feels numb in comparison to without a condom. Once you have tried without condom, like with the above named girls, you’d rather not go back to using one.

Speaking of the other girls:
rFactor 2 is a really ugly girl, but she is working out and turning into a nice lady,
Assetto Corsa is a pretty girl and she feels nice, but is a bit of a handful sometimes,
iRacing is a pretty but quite an expensive girl to maintain. She knows what she wants and how to deliver,
Project Cars 2 is a feisty one, pretty girl with some issues, but the whole package is very nice.

The one I will mary? Why mary, when you can have them all. Like to spend most of my time with Project Cars 2 for now. Assetto Corsa is even getting a bit jealous….

Ok, im curious, which would you fuck, marry, or kill?

cooldawn

That's why Practice Mode exists.
Yeah. Didn't really think I'd need to think about that. Seems like they got it the wrong way around.

Anyhow, I did a Practice Mode stint and I'm struggling. 2:09.872. Everything is default except I have ABS on 'Full' in the main menu options. The rest is as is, including set-up. I'm using a pad (but I guess, with this particular combination, D-Pad and face buttons aren't up to much).

I swear I'm not usually this bad.

On a more inclusive note... if you're playing on PC, you should have a look at Racedepartments custom liveries for Project CARS 2.

For example someone made 14yo Emily Linscott's Ginetta G40 livery:
emilylinscottlivery9duvj.jpg
2_565_ehcu7s.jpg

And the Goodsmile Racing GT500 Hatsune Miku Liveries (2015/16) have been converted for pCARS2's AMG GT3 already too:
2913734-2077625526-

[For some reason the screenshots of it were taken off, this is an old one from the 2015 AC version.

The Stig

I just read that they fixed the qualifying bug (skip to the end and you automatically become last). Is it true? Also have they added fast forward at all?

How easy is it to add these?

download, extract .dds file from rar to ...Project CARS 2\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries

But SMS allows only one per car. Don't ask me why. I'd understand it in RaceRoom, they want to sell liveries after all, but no idea why in pCARS2.

I also checked the PSD template downloadable for every car on the pCARS2 forums and they're pretty good, not sliced into extra parts, all within one wire-frame model. You need to have this nVidia dds plugin for photoshop to save it in the dds format.

I just read that they fixed the qualifying bug (skip to the end and you automatically become last). Is it true? Also have they added fast forward at all?
MOSTLY on PC - not final.

cooldawn

I need a short rant.

The menu system and management system is awful. I'm not ever confident when I select something, the system is doing it, much like Jeremy Clarkson's rant on the BMW X3, a button to swap drive whereas in the Land Rover it's a mechanical change i.e. it works.

A couple of days ago I made some gearing adjustments for my Bentley GT3 2016. I saved them, they felt good. Today I load the setting and...it's all different. Why? Where are my settings from a few days ago?

OK, so I started tinkering with the settings again (since I took a photo on my iPhone because I have no faith in the systems at play) to get me back to where it should be and save. I go out on-track and it feels nothing like it. I go back to the settings menu and the ratios are not how I saved them. So I was stuck in this 5 lap race with an awfully geared GT3 car.

Why are the menu's so inconsistent? Why can't the game just save my gearing and not make it up? Why...it's ruining the experience.

This experience is exasperating to the point I can't be bother to play it anymore.

keraj37

I just invested into T300RS and I need some help setting up the Force Feedback.

Right now I am driving on RAW with 30% "strength" as I found this wheel so strong at 50% that I couldn't handle it - I almost falled from chair!

Do you recommend any settings?
Maybe you want to share your config file?

I need a short rant.

The menu system and management system is awful. I'm not ever confident when I select something, the system is doing it, much like Jeremy Clarkson's rant on the BMW X3, a button to swap drive whereas in the Land Rover it's a mechanical change i.e. it works.

A couple of days ago I made some gearing adjustments for my Bentley GT3 2016. I saved them, they felt good. Today I load the setting and...it's all different. Why? Where are my settings from a few days ago?

OK, so I started tinkering with the settings again (since I took a photo on my iPhone because I have no faith in the systems at play) to get me back to where it should be and save. I go out on-track and it feels nothing like it. I go back to the settings menu and the ratios are not how I saved them. So I was stuck in this 5 lap race with an awfully geared GT3 car.

Why are the menu's so inconsistent? Why can't the game just save my gearing and not make it up? Why...it's ruining the experience.

This experience is exasperating to the point I can't be bother to play it anymore.

I didn't bother me so far, but I must say that I have experienced some similar issues - specially with custom race settings. But it for me doesn't ruin fun though.

Arucardo

tLDYxhC.png

Hotlap Challenge #1

Ford Falcon V8 Supercar @ Bathurst

pc26ys2q.gif

"Community Events" mode, "Bathurst 1000 Battle". Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. If you'd like to do a video or whatever, great.

Have fun!

----------------------
Loads of room to improve, will try to get in the 2:04 range if I have the time this weekend. This brings back memories from the original Project CARS hotlap challenges :)
----------------------

1. 2:04.260 - markao (video) // PC, No aids, pedals flat shift up, blip down. Default set-up other than brake pressure (9/10% down) otherwise I need to much time getting used to them on my crappy G25 pedals.
2. 2:05.863 - Arucardo // PC, wheel, no aids, some very minor setup changes
3. 2:05.981 - Big Takeover (video) // PC, wheel, no aids, minor setup changes

You guys do realize that 2´04 is almost the world record right?

I´m guessing to beat GAF you gonna end up finishing in the top 10.

After the hotlap we should set up a GAF race. I´m sure it would be fun.

fresquito

You guys do realize that 2´04 is almost the world record right?

I´m guessing to beat GAF you gonna end up finishing in the top 10.

After the hotlap we should set up a GAF race. I´m sure it would be fun.
I'm at 2:08.1 (can potentially hit 2:07.5) and I'm 55th. These dudes are good.

markao

I see you already changed my time from last nights try BT, thx. (Did not have the time to render and upload it yesterday.

Bathurst - Falcon V8 2.04,260

Few small changes, but mostly more laps help. Missed entry at second corner a little, slight error in 5, hit wall slightly at 6 and took me 2/3 corners before I felt in control again ( more luck than skill :p). To much speed entry dipper and understeer, so left some time there. Finally got my braking sorted for the last corner, bit earlier and less did the trick. Must have been the heat from previous massive braking zone that messed up that feeling in earlier laps.

I'd join in but I hate Bathurst.

Well not hate. I love the track and watching real races on it. But I'm a ham-fisted mess around it despite driving it in various games for years.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
how long are you guys running this? i'd love to give it a shot, maybe even motivate me to dust off my wheel (why havent i already done this for pcars2!?), but i'm out all weekend.

Go on then, I'll give it a go, I'd imagine I'll be horribly slow, but what the hey!

I wanna approach the Bathurst Time Trial like a real pro sim racer... Do I come up with excuses for underperforming before or after I post a time? ;D

Like I've said before when we've done these, when someone posts a lap time, no matter how fast or slow, it's a big encouragement for other people to follow suit. Us doing these is more about having fun and trying to improve our skills, rather than crowning winners.

Hello! Thanks for the reposting on this page.

how long are you guys running this? i'd love to give it a shot, maybe even motivate me to dust off my wheel (why havent i already done this for pcars2!?), but i'm out all weekend.

Not sure yet, but a little while at least. I'm not sure how long it's scheduled to last as a community event.

---------

Does anyone know if there's a web version of the PC2 leaderboards?

kafiend

I am trying to give some feedback on the difference between GTS and PJC2 and other racing games. Coming from the GT series I went over to the dark side and got a PC.

It is probably been said or done before, but because of the mostly male in the virtual racing community, how about we rate virtual reality games as if it were women…??

So I have tried Gran Turismo Sport Beta, being a Beta it is hard to say if it is close to the final product. That said, it felt a lot like GT5 and GT6.
She is a pretty thing with curves in all the right places. She used to have a terrible voice though. As she is getting voice training, she starts to sound a bit better. Comparing her to girls like Project Cars 2, iRacing, rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa though, is like using a condom. Still very nice, a bit of a game breaker when you need to use it and feels numb in comparison to without a condom. Once you have tried without condom, like with the above named girls, you’d rather not go back to using one.

rFactor 2 is a really ugly girl, but she is working out and turning into a nice lady,
Assetto Corsa is a pretty girl and she feels nice, but is a bit of a handful sometimes,
iRacing is a pretty but quite an expensive girl to maintain. She knows what she wants and how to deliver,
Project Cars 2 is a feisty one, pretty girl with some issues, but the whole package is very nice.

The one I will marry? Why marry, when you can have them all. Like to spend most of my time with Project Cars 2 for now. Assetto Corsa is even getting a bit jealous….

Jesus fucking Christ

cooldawn

I didn't bother me so far, but I must say that I have experienced some similar issues - specially with custom race settings. But it for me doesn't ruin fun though.
It keeps me from being competitive. There are a few tracks where I don't need to make any changes and I'm on-point but on the odd occasion I could do with better power output at particular places. The save system doesn't let me do that because it doesn't work.

Oh well.

SlightlyMad Studios, please fix.

Only from the Time Trial by the looks of it, probably not the community events?

PCARS2 leaderboard

Maybe useful for another event, have not seen another one

Ah, thank you!

The Community Events are indeed listed in the "Events" section at the top of the page. After a brief sad face where it looked like this Bathurst challenge was broken, I noticed the "Jing Ding" leaderboard was actually our V8SCs. Fist pump.

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard/event?event=849

It's pretty bad, crashing, severe menu lag, online join / leave lag, broken setup system, broken pad controls if you change certain settings.
I've had none of these problems on the PS4 Pro so YMMV. Am using custom controller config, but I have yet to mess with any car settings. No crashes, lag, etc.

Really crazy how much the experience can vary.

2:08:047 - TylerDurden4321 (video) // PC, wheel, no aids, upped the ride height a bit, made the car softer and changed brake balance and pressure

If you look under "unsmooth garbage" in the dictionary, you find a link to my lap there.
Hard for me to string it together, if you mess up corner A, you have to compromise and adapt for corner B because it's all flowing together. And it's all so damn jumpy...

Pretty impressive that the controller guys in here can go under 2:10 considering how hard it is to get the amount of braking right in the mountain part. I could never do that.

Two more things: I thought V8 Supercars run very high caster (~8°), this thing has 5.5°.
And... ...is it autumn in Australia?

Gestault

She is a pretty thing with curves in all the right places. She used to have a terrible voice though. As she is getting voice training, she starts to sound a bit better. Comparing her to girls like Project Cars 2, iRacing, rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa though, is like using a condom. Still very nice, a bit of a game breaker when you need to use it and feels numb in comparison to without a condom. Once you have tried without condom, like with the above named girls, you’d rather not go back to using one.

The one I will marry? Why marry, when you can have them all. Like to spend most of my time with Project Cars 2 for now. Assetto Corsa is even getting a bit jealous….

Whether or not this was intended as a joke, this is a fucking joke. Disgusting.

fresquito

My best time so far is 2:07.858. 2/3 sectors were worse than my former best time, so I guess I can improve upon, but man, nailing that one lap is going to be so hard.

microtubule

tLDYxhC.png

Hotlap Challenge #1

Ford Falcon V8 Supercar @ Bathurst

"Community Events" mode, "Bathurst 1000 Battle". Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. If you'd like to do a video or whatever, great.

Have fun!

----------------------
Loads of room to improve, will try to get in the 2:04 range if I have the time this weekend. This brings back memories from the original Project CARS hotlap challenges :)
----------------------

1. 2:04.260 - markao (video) // PC, No aids, pedals flat shift up, blip down. Default set-up other than brake pressure (9/10% down) otherwise I need to much time getting used to them on my crappy G25 pedals.
3. 2:05.981 - Big Takeover (video) // PC, wheel, no aids, minor setup changes

2:35:678 - microtubule - PC, no aids, controller
after 4 laps - it's definitely tough with controller and no aids but darn fun.

Thanks guys for setting times. Keep 'em coming!

I think I got them all, but if you notice I've missed one, or botched the time, please let me know.
----------------------
I just had another go, and cleaned up my lap at least. It's a few tenths quicker, but I couldn't find the big gain I was looking for. I didn't find much in the setup either. Mostly how to make the car slower :) I'll try again after some dinner.

EDIT: OK, post-dinner. Down in the :04s finally.

https://youtu.be/U1cst9Tx3aU

I haven't done a lot of setup changes mostly because the game keeps forgetting my settings :/ However, I will post what little I changed:

brake pressure - 98%
brake bias - 53/47
longitudinal weight bias - 54.5/45.5 (I had lowered this but this doesn't look like the number...)
rear arb - 38
fuel - 1 liter
final drive - 3.706
clutch LSD - power ramp - 85 // coast ramp 30

----------------------
I saw Jimmy B made a race video of this combo in VR, if anyone's interested in checking it out.

https://youtu.be/_SlsmkJbr9Y

fresquito

When you are saving almost a second in sector 1 and 2 and then lose everything you gained in sector 3 after a big fuck up...

2:10.700

PC, wheel, authentic assists (Appeared to be none for this car though?), default setup

Have no idea how someone managed a 2:02. I know I'm not great since I can never beat AI on highest settings like so many seem to be able to do easily, but I'm at the point where I have no idea what exactly needs improving with my current knowledge.

markao

Lads stop worrying, event date is March the first --> Autumn in Australia

I just had another go, and cleaned up my lap at least. It's a few tenths quicker, but I couldn't find the big gain I was looking for. I didn't find much in the setup either. Mostly how to make the car slower :) I'll try again after some dinner.

EDIT: OK, post-dinner. Down in the :04s finally.

:lol: I had exactly the same, went nowhere with set-up prior to dinner, complete mess After dinner and a good cup of coffee I started with default set-up and thought a bit more what I wanted and how to get there and now I have something resembling that isn't a knife edge ride.

Almost got were I wanted, just two tenths shy :( , 2nd corner bit to wide and was to nervous/afraid of F@$$@$ing up the last corner.

Set-up screens added to the video in the beginning, no idea if there is an easier way to share (when not racing online).

Bathurst Ford Falcon V8 - 2:04.021

BT, when saving set-ups, always create new file, (new name) do not overwrite and it should be OK at least that's the case overhere.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Managed a 2:08.575 on Bathurst with a gamepad, authentic assists on PC.

I could shave a bit more if I don't coast as much from Skyline to Forrest's Elbow. The best time I managed didn't have my best sector 3 time as well, so I know I can get into the 2:07's.

Great times, guys. Especially those using game pads. Impressive!

...F@$$@$ing up the last corner.

The last corner is so tough, especially when you're on a flier. Greed is punished harshly! I've ruined more than my share of laps there.

BT, when saving set-ups, always create new file, (new name) do not overwrite and it should be OK at least that's the case overhere.
OK, will do! Thanks!

GHG

Do we have a definitive list of cars that work well with a controller vs those that don't?

I'm going to mess around with this with a controller properly later.

Top Bottom