• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

xptoxyz

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)

BigTakeover - 0:53.966
Arucardo - 0:54.225
smiggyRT - 0:55.588
Foliorum Viridum - 0.55.691

Is this just an unpopular track/car combo like last week or is there not enough interest anymore? I was hoping an easy track and car would pick the interest up!

Actually had some time and did this, was really fun. Was in the 59 something(would have to check again). Really nowhere near you guys, though the controller maybe didn't help.

Tracks that are not overly complicated, or maybe more importantly not too long helps a lot imo.

Arucardo

Nah, i'm just putting all my free time into iRacing atm.

Pffft, all I'm hearing is excuses :p . Only takes a few minutes to put down a lap time or two ;) .

Don't think I can beat my current lap time, this is where my lack of experience in tuning comes in. I failed to find a better balance between grip and top speed. Wish I had saved a the tune I had for the my current best so I could've tried a different line through corners 3 and 4.

Arucardo

3 to 4 is horrible, I've had to come to a crawl to make it through there. Will try to improve if I have the time.

Those are also the only corners you need to break for, though I tend to give a very light tap on the break for the first corner when shifting down to 6th.

Have to be extra careful when accelerating out of the 4th corner in 2nd gear, I made it a little easier with a longer ratio for 2nd but it still comes down to mostly throttle control.

xptoxyz

Those are also the only corners you need to break for, though I tend to give a very light tap on the break for the first corner when shifting down to 6th.

Have to be extra careful when accelerating out of the 4th corner in 2nd gear, I made it a little easier with a longer ratio for 2nd but it still comes down to mostly throttle control.

I didn't really mess with set ups at all. As for control, pedals or a better controller would probably help, I just end up going overly slow.

Yeah, I'm really slow through there. If I put my foot down too much I just miss T4 completely and run wide.

Yeah it's tricky, I think in part due to the banking.

Shaneus

Been playing iRacing exclusively this week as well... when's the last day to submit a time? I'll run some laps soon.
Man, I just started fucking around with it last night, getting settings right and stuff. Holy fuck, it's on a whole other level to pretty much everything else.

spicy cho

It looks like a helmet cam has been introduced in this build.
Long as it doesn't replace the standard cockpit view, cool. I didn't play shift 2 but I found the helmet view with the excessive dof and looking to apex really nauseating, can't imagine it helping anyone's laptimes.

Megasoum

Banned
Is multiplayer coming? If so, I will upgrade to weekly builds.

They will obviously have multiplayer but they are still somewhat early in developpment (You can follow the multiplayer guy on the forums, I think he has a thread with updates from time to time). No ETA on when it's coming though.

Don't forget that if you are considering buying one of the tool pack (memberships) you better do it soon. They will close down the subscriptions soon (next couple of days/weeks) and if you miss it you won't be able to play the game until it comes out in 2013.

mclaren777

Would you like to test one of these?

Link

fanatec2.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Release notes again through today:

Build 192 (12/4/12, Team Member+)
Fix for app worker thread not waiting for jobs to finish
Added helmet camera plus a few fancy wheel cams
Helmet Cam: Added look into yaw effect
Allow seat adjustment in helmet view
Allow FOV change in helmet view

Fix for the transmission whine not working properly from some cameras until you cycled through the other cameras
Added a tweaker to optionally disable the helmet cam muffling effect
Sakitto texture updates
Heusden track added to the game
BAC Mono: added redline to RPM bar; BAC Mono: cockpit display changes
Racer: Added AO to all LOD
New Racer exports
New Sakitto exports
New Heusden export

Build 191 (12/4/12, Senior Manager)
Monterey AIW - New raceline recorded for better AI speed. Fixes all problem corners
Asano x4 - increaded brake torque under peak temp
Characters - updated topology for crowds
Sakitto - added cameras, updated textures, grass and materials
Formula A: wider range of gear tuning options
New Sakitto exports

Build 190 (11/4/12, Senior Manager)
Better MLAA settings
New console profiles use bonnet camera by default
Fixed double drawing of windscreen on non-open-topped cars
Fix for PS3 steering wheel not turning
Added runtime support for SMAA: Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing
Default world movement to 30
Updated driving camera defaults
Added in m_windscreenReflectionScale values to weather conditions missing it. Added m_windscreenReflectionScale to currentstate info in tweak it
Fixed track-specific personal best received from the server when loading into an event race overwriting event-specific personal best. We display track-specific PBs on the loading screen for now, so they should be stored as those into the local profile.
(This bug prevented improved times set on an event from being uploaded to the server unless they also beat the track-specific personal best set on the event's track, in the event's car)
When a new personal best is set during an event race, also update the track-specific leaderboard with the same time.
Wisconsin Raceway - Fixed Carrousel AI running wide off into grass problem. Gradually moved corridors in and reduced attempted AI speed at the critical point by 10%
Florence - Added support for 40 Cars. added 20 pit spots and 40 start spots. Updated TRD's. (still need garages doors opened for garage support)
Activation button added on Gameplay SAVE button
GAMEPLAY screen now re-organized to work on consoles
Fixed splash screen UI data (removed activation keys from press start button)
Vehicles Materials Library. Added Flat Paint CPIT material
Dropped extra ambience/subwave channels from the X4 AI sounds on consoles, as the extra channels were causing dropouts
Updated windscreen reflection defaults
Updated night windscreen reflection settings for all conditions
Modified moon dome shader to scale the depth value down, as this is the "correct" way to do this. Fixing this stops the moon from flickering on 360. Tested on PC, looks fine, relevant code path is not used by PS3
Fixed grandstand placement at Chesterfield; added intial crowd sound
Added crowd env sound for: Belgian forest circuit and Bologna reverse
Added audio to Badenring tracks
Added brake duct setting to tuning menus
Removed colour scale from 360 if shader used on windscreens
Formula A: Livery name fixes
TweakIt Tool - Fix for international settings affecting parsing of data sent from the game
New Formula A and B exports
New Wisconsin export
Note that there seem to be some notes about PS3 and 360 versions, so they are presumably either actively in development, or at least being taken into consideration during current development.

Does anyone know what "Default world movement to 30" means?

And since I keep failing to download the builds, I just started downloading today's new build so I should get at least ONE time in for next week's GAF competition. :p

Orgun

Release notes again through today:

Note that there seem to be some notes about PS3 and 360 versions, so they are presumably either actively in development, or at least being taken into consideration during current development.

And since I keep failing to download the builds, I just started downloading today's new build so I should get at least ONE time in for next week's GAF competition. :p

Ok, gonna have to load this up again to try out the helmet cam.

So i'm kinda new here, Junior member so far. I downloaded a monthly build sometime in march, how do i know if there is a new monthly build available and if there is, how do i update?

amar212

There is very interesting debate on the forum regarding console development including "30 vs 60fps" and reasoning for both.

Also, there are some dev "mockups" of how could console versions look, but everything is still in pre-alpha stage.

Check the discussion, it is under the General Discussion section.

Arucardo

So i'm kinda new here, Junior member so far. I downloaded a monthly build sometime in march, how do i know if there is a new monthly build available and if there is, how do i update?

I think the build you can download here is the latest one you have access to. I went straight to member when this project opened so I'm not entirely sure if it works like that.

I think the build you can download here is the latest one you have access to. I went straight to member when this project opened so I'm not entirely sure if it works like that.

Ok, i saw that one too. Is there any way to see what version i am currently running? Do i have to download the whole game again each time i want a new build?

fresquito

World movement is a camera setting. There's a thread about how world movement=0 is awesome, etc. I guess they're trying to adapt to people.

Ok, i saw that one too. Is there any way to see what version i am currently running? Do i have to download the whole game again each time i want a new build?
Welcome on board. The file you downloaded has the number of the build. In any case, if you downloaded it in march, it will be new. The new build for juniors hits the first friday of each month.

Shaneus

Hey, did that guy knock up some other .exe files for different FFB settings like the last build?

There is very interesting debate on the forum regarding console development including "30 vs 60fps" and reasoning for both.

Also, there are some dev "mockups" of how could console versions look, but everything is still in pre-alpha stage.

Check the discussion, it is under the General Discussion section.
Fuck it. 640x720, flat-shaded, 100 cars on track and 60fps. Actually, make that 120fps.

_machine

Not yet, there seems to be quite a few people asking for it (including me) so I really hope they do.
Yeah we're pretty much stuck with using F1 menu every time atm, but Andy mentioned possibly having it as an saveable in game option:
Wait. There was/is no way a consensus yet. If AJ's improvements aren't ready soon (next week-ish) we'll add the two FFB tweakers to the GUI. So yes we're fully prepared for plenty of moaning about how rubbish we are when the next weekly build is published.

So, what's the next time trial competition setup? Sorry I missed the last one, really busy and couldn't be assed to setup the wheel :p

Sethos

Banned
So where's the helmet cam, thought we were talking SHIFT-ish helmet cam where you could see the helmet and the visor etc. is this some kind of different camera effect to mimic on-top mounted camera or what? Dammit.

Arucardo

So where's the helmet cam, thought we were talking SHIFT-ish helmet cam where you could see the helmet and the visor etc. is this some kind of different camera effect to mimic on-top mounted camera or what? Dammit.

I think it's just a look-to-apex type of "helmet cam".

Watevaman

Well, that's a massive disappointment :(

I'm pretty sure they're planning on adding an overlay like in S2U, but being the first iteration, they're just implementing the movement until they have that solid.

For those wondering, the helmet cam is the second first person camera you choose.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)

image.php

1. BigTakeover - 0:53.966
2. Arucardo - 0:54.225
3. fresquito - 0:55.473

smiggyRT - 0:55.588
Foliorum Viridum - 0.55.691

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)

So, any clues to next weeks time trial car and track combo?

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #5 - ??? @ ??? (Build 192)

I've PM'd BigTakeover so as soon as I get his response I'll post what it is! :) Or he can since I'm going to be out all day.

Top Bottom