• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

It's so boring how this thread always comes back to this and how mclaren777 tries to act as if he's part of this project when even the developers hate him and kicked him out. We've done this convo 50 times already.

I think the FFB is hugely improved. It's not quite there yet, but compared to two months ago, the car feels so connected to the road. I know what and where I'm going wrong whenever I begin to lose the car and can act appropriately. For a game that's at least a year away I'm not worried about the final product.

fresquito

Acer Aspire 4750G

Intel Core i3-2310M (2.10GHz, 3MB L3)
HD 500GB - RAM 4GB - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology (1024 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM)
Display 14" wide 1366x768
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n - Windows 7 Home Premium

copy/pasta ftw
I think you could run the game, just not in high settings and not very smooth. Worth it? I don't think so, but for me racing games are 60fps or burst.

I realize this is prerelease and all but how easy would it be for a total sim racer newbie to get into this? I have never put enough time into a sim to get good but I never had a good one for my PC before. I like cars and the idea of racing but I know basically nothing about all of the tweaking and terminology. Also I'd be using a pad.

Edit: My PC is totally up for it though, i7 960 with 12GB RAM and 6970.
I'm not that experienced either (I have some experience with LFS). I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble. That said, sims are better played with a wheel. Not only you'll run faster, but you'll have a blast. Anyway, you can always go for junior, which is ten euros, and give it a go, see if it's down your alley.

On FFB, I'm not as experienced as Mclaren or most of the rest of the thread, but FFB in this game is years ahead of Shift series. It still needs to improve in how kerbs feel, etc., but the feel of the tyres are worlds apart.

mclaren777

I don't think that was it. Pretty sure you don't think it either.

You're right, that's an over-simplification of the matter.

I think telling SMS that I was done participating in pCARS until it met my selfish needs (more tracks, improved handling model, decent FFB, etc) was what pushed Ian over the edge. Had I been more tactful, things might have turned out differently. Plus, trying to get SMS to take some inspiration from rFactor 2 certainly didn't help my case. ;)

If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would have signed up. I was recently disappointed with the handling and FFB in Build 189 and I'm losing faith that SMS will match the realism of its competitors in those two areas. I think Doug Arnao will eventually get the FFB stuff sorted out, but I think SMS is trying to simulate something other than what I'm interested in. To put it simply, I think pCARS will ultimately simulate the experience of a professional driver (eg, lots of control and stability) and I'd rather see it simulate what any of us would likely experience (eg, lots of sweaty palms and bend suspension components).

I know everybody has their own perspective on what pCARS should be, but I've come to grips with the fact that I probably won't buy pCARS unless its direction changes radically. However, I still want people to love it and I really hope that SMS makes a profit from this crazy experiment.

Orgun

I hate this car.

Though it might have something to do with my throttle not registering until it's depressed half way which makes feathering it bloody awkward.

Any idea how to fix that?

Arucardo

I only managed a few half decent laps before I left so I might sit this week out, all depends on when I get back on Friday and if I'm up to it.

This car feels pretty nervous when braking and the stock setup has lots of lift off oversteer (can be fixed with tuning) which I found to be really bad in the twisty parts on the hill. Gotta be pretty careful about braking in the twisties and there's a few places where you absolutely can't touch the breaks or you'll be sliding in to a wall, lol.

I love the flow of this track but I've never been that good on it with a properly fast car, maybe it's time to start practicing.

I hate this car.

Though it might have something to do with my throttle not registering until it's depressed half way which makes feathering it bloody awkward.

Did you calibrate your pedals for the new build?

Are the other cars working fine?

And make sure your pedal deadzones are correct.

fresquito

I hate this car.

Calibrate the pedals in the game menu. I had this problem too.

Yen

Bathurst is incredible.

It's quite unlike any track I've ever driven on before. It starts off like a normal track but before long you're drifting around tight hairpins, climber higher and higher, before zooming back down on to the huge straight and around more traditional features. It feels like a F1 track mashed with a rally stage. Fucking brilliant.

If anyone doubts the FFB this is the track to feel it. So many fine touches as you fly around.

I'm struggling to get a clean lap together, but practicing is going to be fun.

Piggus

That's what I understand. And maybe even some specific wheels that have problems. Not sure but I think the newer Fanatec wheels are fine (CSW,CSR) but the older Porsche wheels (PWTS,GT2,GT3) might have issues right now. Not sure since I can only try the PWTS but anyway. Yeah that's why I've been playing mostly in G25 mode (it's not perfect when used on a Fanatec wheel but it's still better).

What do you mean by G25 mode? Do you switch to the G25 profile within the pCARS options or is it something you do on the wheel itself?

I have the GT3 RS with CSR pedals and CSR shifter and indeed it doesn't work properly. Apparently we'll be getting new Fanatec drivers soon to fix it.

Arucardo

What do you mean by G25 mode? Do you switch to the G25 profile within the pCARS options or is it something you do on the wheel itself?

I have the GT3 RS with CSR pedals and CSR shifter and indeed it doesn't work properly. Apparently we'll be getting new Fanatec drivers soon to fix it.

You start the wheel in the PS3 mode which makes windows use the G25 drivers (you need to install the G25 drivers first ofc)

Orgun

Bathurst is incredible.

It's quite unlike any track I've ever driven on before. It starts off like a normal track but before long you're drifting around tight hairpins, climber higher and higher, before zooming back down on to the huge straight and around more traditional features. It feels like a F1 track mashed with a rally stage. Fucking brilliant.

If anyone doubts the FFB this is the track to feel it. So many fine touches as you fly around.

I'm struggling to get a clean lap together, but practicing is going to be fun.

I recalibrated my wheel ingame (not the pedals yet) and it feels horrible to me, I need to spend more time with it methinks.

Arucardo

Can this be done without plugging the wheel into a PS3 first?

I'm sure my old GT2 could go into G25 mode when it's connected to a PC but this CRSE doesn't.

Don't know, I have a Turbo S and holding connect button (left one on the wheel display) and back/select for a few seconds is enough. If you just hold back/select it connects in PC mode.

Megasoum

Banned
It doesn't actually have anything to do with the PS3 except that you need to put the wheel in PS3 mode which mimic the G25 (so if you play on PS3 with your fanatec wheel the console thinks you are using a G25 wheel). This trick works on pc too so if you put your wheel in ps3 mode and plug it in your pc instead of your PS3 your PC will think you have a G25 wheel.

So obviously you need to install the G25 drivers in windows. You don't even need to uninstall the Fanatec drivers. Depending in what mode you boot your wheel it will go either way in windows.

Once in game you use the G25 profile (and if I remember correctly I was also disabling the centering spring via the F1 menu but not sure). It was giving me an ok FFB. Nothing amazing but definitly better than running the game in Fanatec mode.

amar212

I am seriously in awe of this track. No idea how I ignored it until now.

What bothers me personally is my current inability to test pCARS myself (still didn't bought a decent rig) and play with the POW in order to see the actual modelling of the Bathurst in pCARS.

From videos I've watched it seems like they're reusing the same wireframe model from the Shift 2, but I can't tell for sure since I lack the actual perspective. I would not be happy if that is the case TBH because that wireframe is too wide and have some strange lateral and longitudinal elevations from Cutting to McPhilliamy IMO.

Backthan in 2005 Codemasters did this spectacularly accurate model for TOCA Race Driver 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwfq5AEnTmY

...which they pretty much reused later for the GRID DLC (nevermind the crazy physics, focus on the track-geometry):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQwt1n3MbM

Three60

What bothers me personally is my current inability to test pCARS myself (still didn't bought a decent rig) and play with the POW in order to see the actual modelling of the Bathurst in pCARS.

From videos I've watched it seems like they're reusing the same wireframe model from the Shift 2, but I can't tell for sure since I lack the actual perspective. I would not be happy if that is the case TBH because that wireframe is too wide and have some strange lateral and longitudinal elevations from Cutting to McPhilliamy IMO.

Backthan in 2005 Codemasters did this spectacularly accurate model for TOCA Race Driver 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwfq5AEnTmY

...which they pretty much reused later for the GRID DLC (nevermind the crazy physics, focus on the track-geometry):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQwt1n3MbM

No no no just no, pCars has nothing to do with that hideous Shift2 version, it is made from ground up. Bathurst is my favourite pCars track and i played it a LOT, you will not be disappointed, width and elevation changes are spot on.

amar212

No no no just no, pCars has nothing to do with that hideous Shift2 version, it is made from ground up. Bathurst is my favourite pCars track and i played it a LOT, you will not be disappointed, width and elevation changes are spot on.

Thank you for clarification on this, September can't come soon enough :)

Megasoum

Banned
It's moments like this that highlight how far the FFB has come.

That would have been a wipe out two months ago. Now I get the feedback I need to save it. And yes, this is proof that I'm still struggling to put together a clean lap -_- I'm having a lot of fun trying, though!

That's awesome. Can't wait to get similar results. The content is so amazing in this game. Say what you want about Shift 2, the content was amazing and it looks like pCars is gonna be the same!

Watevaman

I'm loving the Gumpert on Bathurst. I'm not that fast and the upper section is scary as hell, but it's so much fun and a beautiful track to boot.

magawolaz

I think you could run the game, just not in high settings and not very smooth. Worth it? I don't think so, but for me racing games are 60fps or burst.
Thanks. I can indeed run the game and, with medium/low settings, I can reach decent fps (60+, some drops here and there). I guess I just have to wait for a decent pc in the near future :p

Btw, I'm already in love with the classic Formula Cars :3

That's awesome. Can't wait to get similar results. The content is so amazing in this game. Say what you want about Shift 2, the content was amazing and it looks like pCars is gonna be the same!

It felt pretty bad ass, I must admit. Holding my breath the entire time!

That top section is scary as shit.

Megasoum

Banned
So they confirmed that they locked in a licensing deal for an unknown track with the help of one of the member on the forum. We still don't know what the track is but the guy is from Dubai. Wonder if we'll see the Dubai track from Shift 2 return. I found out this morning that it was an actual track and not a fantasy one lol. There was some fun corners especially one that was crazy off-camber with a giant bumb.

fresquito

I love Bathurst as well. I've driven it with the X4 a lot and it's a blast. I really want to try out the new export and new textures.It looks so much better now.However, I hope they soon replace the horrible trees >_<

BTW, the track is not wide. When you race with AI cars, you have a hard time keeping your pace when side by side. I still need to learn going downhill, as I used to lose most of my time there.

I'm going to throw myself under the bus here in the name of more competition. Dilly's time is ridiculously fast and probably intimidating, so here's a slow as shit lap from me: 2:07.730

Sorry it captured my music, I couldn't be bothered to go grab my iPod from my car.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

Dilly - 1.57.984
Frawdder - 2:01.681
Foliorum Viridum - 2:07.730 (video)

You could go in reverse and beat my time, so let's do this :)

Top Bottom