• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

markao

Don't say that! You'll only motivate him further! :p
No extra motivation needed , two laps, first 1.38.7 , second one is my quickest so far 1:38.574. Now I found a way to be constantly quicker trough Tosa, later turn in, I do think there is some room left for improvement, see Blizzard ;)

Two laps Leonus F77 at Bologna

Set-up:

And some new cars coming to pCARS: The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Comes to Project CARS

thumbsywjlt.jpg

Project CARS will include three different models starting with the Lancer Evo VI Tommi Mäkinen Edition. Named in honor of four-time World Rally Champion Tommi Mäkinen, the car is powered by a 280hp version of the two-liter turbo and comes with several special features that set it apart from regular Evo VI models.

Special features include a different front bumper, racing seats, white 17“ Enkei rims, a titanium turbo turbine and lowered right height. To celebrate its rallying legacy, the car is even available in Mäkinen’s iconic rally competition color scheme.

Next in line is the Evo IX FQ 360, the ninth installment of the Lancer Evo line that was built from 2005 to 2007. The FQ 360 is powered by a a 360hp version of the two-litre turbo engine, prodiving 492Nm of torque.

Other features include a six-speed manual transmission, Bilstein monotube shocks, an aluminum roof and SAYC (Super Active Yaw Control).

The pack is rounded out by the Evo X FQ 400, Mitsubishi’s current Lancer Evolution generation. The newest Lancer Evo comes with 410hp and 542Nm of torque, setting a new standard in terms of power output of the proven two-liter engine.

The FQ 400 is strictly limited as only 100 cars will be made, it comes with features such as a manual five-speed gearbox, 18“ rims and a new aero kit that inlcudes larger air intakes and ducts. The car sprints from 0-62mph in 3.8 seconds and tops out at 155mph.

Blizzard

Banned
According to the forum, there may also be an announcement tomorrow that may be big regarding licensing, and it's apparently not the Mitsubishi thing (which is still cool)...I guess we'll see what happens!

markao

I'm surprised the car isn't an understeering mess given your settings.
Because of the sway-bars, they are set-up this way for traction, more important for this car/track (for me). And other setting (dampers/camper/toe/brake balance) help with the the turn-in.

mclaren777

Because of the sway-bars, they are set-up this way for traction, more important for this car/track (for me). And other setting (dampers/camper/toe/brake balance) help with the the turn-in.

You also seem to downshift right at turn-in, which helps alleviate some of the understeer.

I just realised the Lancer is going to be perfect for the coast <3

8 mins of driving bliss here I come tomorrow.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #5 - Leonus F77 @ Bologna (Build 192)

markao - 1:38.574 (video)
Dilly - 1:39.290
BigTakeover - 1:39.500 (video)
Arucardo - 1:40.546
Salacious Crumb - 1:42.000
Speech - 1:42.427
_machine - 1:42.703
Foliorum Viridum - 1:42.797 (video)
smiggyRT - 1:43.395

You have until midday GMT tomorrow to submit your times! Glad to see it's a bit more competitive this week. Come on, Dilly, knock markao off the top spot for us commoners!

I can't say no to giving markao's ratios a ride. I'll do a few more lappies tonight. I'd like a 38.

Stock cars and Evos? Nice. They're definitely needed.

Dilly

Banned
Pft, I'm going to get drunk.

Also, I'm wondering what direction they're going with the game. Streetcars like GT or racecars like TOCA 3.

DieH@rd

Banned
So Codemastes renamed themselves into Codemasters Racing and will from now on focus on racing genre alone. Could they be the mysterious benefactor that will provide funding for pCARS?

Megasoum

Banned
So...looking at the forum today. They moved the Funds box for pCars to the side and made it black and white. That sure creates a perfect spot to put another project on the left.

Shaneus

I just realised the Lancer is going to be perfect for the coast <3

8 mins of driving bliss here I come tomorrow.

markao - 1:38.574 (video)
Dilly - 1:39.290
BigTakeover - 1:39.500 (video)
Speech - 1:42.427

You have until midday GMT tomorrow to submit your times! Glad to see it's a bit more competitive this week. Come on, Dilly, knock markao off the top spot for us commoners!
I don't know when that is, but hopefully it's after I get home for work! Haven't even had a chance to give it a crack given last night's server downtime :(

markao

No video, was sure I could go those few tenths faster, but old Tosa habits kick back hard and I'm loosing time (0.3) in that silly corner and cannot get a string of best sectors in a single lap. Maybe a goodnight sleep and sweet dreams, I will be able to get my desired 37 tomorrow ;)

so for now my best lap is: 1:38.218

Curious if we will see that big licensing announcement tomorrow. What do other people consider big, for me something "Porsche/Ferrari/series (DTM/something FIA)" ? Hope I do not set my hopes to high ;)

I always go in thinking I can make your setups work for me - I can't.

That juju braking\downshifting\turn-in that you can do so well, I just can't do it. Your setups clearly work very well for your style. Proof's in the pudding. Mid-corner and out, they seem great. Getting in is an automatic spin though! No exaggeration!

I just need to bite the bullet, and commit to working on my own stuff.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any word on when they plan on closing membership for the beta? I wanna get in before but as close to that date as possible

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, I think I picked the right combination? http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=2&vehicle=7&page=3#user_637

3:01.336

I'm getting maybe 30 fps in windowed mode now, and aliasing is horrible even with 4xAA. This is with DX11. Did anyone else have a performance hit in recent builds? Also, the F77 has this weird glitchy-looking mirror effect on the inside of the back. Is that normalo

*edit* In DX9, it almost seems to be ignoring AA, even if I pick 4xMSAA plus FXAA low. It looks like the FXAA took effect in DX11, or maybe there were different settings for both. Not sure.

Blizzard

Banned
You know that car has more than one gear, right? ;)
I didn't even get the install finished until late into the night, and there's no way I'm taking the time to learn the course. I just put in a time since I said I would. :p

I think that's the first course that I've seen have a rolling start around a curve, by the way. It confused the crap out of me because you don't have control over the car until halfway around the curve, and you can spin out after that point if you don't control properly, and then you still have to drive like 20 seconds to get to the starting line. =P

Piggus

Just got my Fanatec GT3 RS and it's awesome in GT5, but in pCARS the centering doesn't seem to work correctly. Even after turning the wheel while at a dead stop, it returns to center when I let go rather than gradually as I accelerate. I messed with some settings in the driver but no luck. Any ideas?

Also, anyone have suggestions for Fanatec wheel settings in pCARS? Going for something as realistic feeling as possible. I mostly nailed it in GT5 after some tinkering and would love to do the same for the purpose built cars in pCARS like the Radicals.

Good news about the Lancer by the way. The more street cars the better imo.

markao

I always go in thinking I can make your setups work for me - I can't.

That juju braking\downshifting\turn-in that you can do so well, I just can't do it. Your setups clearly work very well for your style. Proof's in the pudding. Mid-corner and out, they seem great. Getting in is an automatic spin though! No exaggeration!

I just need to bite the bullet, and commit to working on my own stuff.
Let me try to give few tips of things you could look at:

Downshifts, to prevent the snap, I have to match the revs with blipping the throttle. A set-up solution is looking at the differential--> deceleration lock. A higher value will help you there, at a cost of slightly more understeer, but if snap/oversteer is the problem it might help ;)
Brakes, I like my balance towards the rear, to help with turn in, oversteer. So if you feel the car snaps under braking, try to move the balance of the brakes more towards the front.
General, try to brake a fraction earlier, so you have a little bit more time to do the braking/downshift and the car has time to settle before you steer. And if I use set-ups from guys that are way faster than me, I almost always end up by adding one click more wing, otherwise to nervous for me.

I hope they will get their issues with Motec sorted out, so we will get something similar to what was available for GTR(2). You than can have a simple overlay and can quickly see the "brake/gas pedal/shifts/etc" and compare what someone does differently. But as you sad driving-style is something personal and just because a set-up works for for one, does not mean it will work for another.

image.php

1. markao - 1:38.218
2. Dilly - 1:39.290
3. BigTakeover - 1:39.500 (video)

Polyphony - 1:41.061
Speech - 1:41.763
Blizzard - 3:01.336

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)

This week:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

Polyphony chose this week. I've ditched the whole winner picks every week rule because then it would just be markao and that's no fun! I'll just pick random people who have been submitting times every time someone wins who has already picked! :)

I don't believe I've driven this track so it will be interesting for me.

Megasoum

Banned
Did you install the Fanatec drivers on your PC?

Fanatec Drivers

Yep, have the drivers. Installed them before plugging in the wheel as suggested by the directions.

EDIT: I looked on the pCARS forums and this thread was sticky'd:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...-workaround-to-remove-strong-centering-spring

Seems to be just a game bug or something.

EDIT2: Apparently Fanatic's 117 drivers will resolve this.

I never managed to get something good using the Fanatec drivers in pCars... I always end up using my PWTS in G25 mode for that game... It's still not amazing (kinda "meh" compared to rf2 and iRacing) but still better than nothing.

Peterthumpa

Is the Team Member build for today online?
Also, for those who got the latest build, is the BAC Mono out of Pre-Alpha stage like in build 192?

Shaneus

image.php

1. markao - 1:38.218
2. Dilly - 1:39.290
3. BigTakeover - 1:39.500 (video)

Polyphony - 1:41.061
Speech - 1:41.763
Blizzard - 3:01.336

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)

This week:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build tba)

The download for the new build isn't up yet so not sure of build number yet. Polyphony chose this week. I've ditched the whole winner picks every week rule because then it would just be markao and that's no fun! I'll just pick random people who have been submitting times every time someone wins who has already picked! :)

I don't believe I've driven this track so it will be interesting for me.
Build 197 is up :)

You know you get in early on a torrent when there's only a single seed. Yikes.

Yoritomo

Just got my Fanatec GT3 RS and it's awesome in GT5, but in pCARS the centering doesn't seem to work correctly. Even after turning the wheel while at a dead stop, it returns to center when I let go rather than gradually as I accelerate. I messed with some settings in the driver but no luck. Any ideas?

Also, anyone have suggestions for Fanatec wheel settings in pCARS? Going for something as realistic feeling as possible. I mostly nailed it in GT5 after some tinkering and would love to do the same for the purpose built cars in pCARS like the Radicals.

Good news about the Lancer by the way. The more street cars the better imo.

Yup. You're supposed to be able to go into the dev menu, disable the centering spring, alt tab, and then it goes away.

But it doesn't always go away for me. I've just started using mine in G25 mode with a small center deadzone. I know that there are people on the dev team that have fanatec wheels, so it should be sorted out eventually, but they're putting the blame on the fanatec drivers. Also, try using the 115 drivers instead of the 116 beta drivers.

Let me try to give few tips of things you could look at:

Downshifts, to prevent the snap, I have to match the revs with blipping the throttle. A set-up solution is looking at the differential--> deceleration lock. A higher value will help you there, at a cost of slightly more understeer, but if snap/oversteer is the problem it might help ;)
Brakes, I like my balance towards the rear, to help with turn in, oversteer. So if you feel the car snaps under braking, try to move the balance of the brakes more towards the front.
General, try to brake a fraction earlier, so you have a little bit more time to do the braking/downshift and the car has time to settle before you steer. And if I use set-ups from guys that are way faster than me, I almost always end up by adding one click more wing, otherwise to nervous for me.

I hope they will get their issues with Motec sorted out, so we will get something similar to what was available for GTR(2). You than can have a simple overlay and can quickly see the "brake/gas pedal/shifts/etc" and compare what someone does differently. But as you sad driving-style is something personal and just because a set-up works for for one, does not mean it will work for another.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm going to "fix" what I don't like in your setups, so I can try benefiting from what I do like about them.

Although it really goes back to what we talked about before - it's your technique (big difference) rather than your style (small difference) that makes those setups sing for you. I need to learn how to drive better :p Seriously though, I need to adopt a more advanced corner approach to find those big chunks of time.

_machine

So...looking at the forum today. They moved the Funds box for pCars to the side and made it black and white. That sure creates a perfect spot to put another project on the left.
They've also recently added a [BB] tag to the search, along [SMS] and [pCARS]. I wouldn't mind another WMD project; I think the funding concept is fantastic as us funders might get some profit in the end unlike kickstarter and alphafunding.

We're also nearing the magical 1 million euros as we just got a new 2.2xSenior Manager and at this point already the upcoming investor would have less stake in the project than SMS themselves which I think is a very good thing.

I leave it a few hours before I download the torrent now. It's pointless to try in first few hours haha.
Heh, this is the second time I'm not getting the usual 4.4Mbps...should've stayed home and waited for the build to go up.

Top Bottom