• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Watevaman

Speaking of physics, can someone explain what causes the jerking under braking of some cars now? I was taking the Zonda R around notSuzuka the other day and it really threw off my lap when I'd come into the first turn and have the car pull to the right while braking. Is this a side effect of PhysX or a per-car physics file deal? I'm guessing the latter.

Speaking of physics, can someone explain what causes the jerking under braking of some cars now? I was taking the Zonda R around notSuzuka the other day and it really threw off my lap when I'd come into the first turn and have the car pull to the right while braking. Is this a side effect of PhysX or a per-car physics file deal? I'm guessing the latter.

ABS off?

Blizzard

Banned
Are you using STM?

As far as I understand, PhysX should only come into play if a car hits a barrier/car, or if a car becomes airborne.

markao

Brakes locking,

somewhere on the forum (sry no link), one of the FFB tweaking threads, there are some suggestions on parameters you can change that will reduce/get rid of the effect.

_machine

New trailer on Gametrailers, just amazing, although dont like the music much.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8iaux1/project-cars-exclusive--let-go-with-you-trailer
It's actually made from parts of the community trailers by Andy Tudor. The music is apparently something they got permission to use so they decided to use it for an "official" trailer.

It seems I'm going to be proved wrong next month, with 75k€ coming in the next few days only 230k remains and it looks very likely that the funding will end in next month. I probably won't be putting down anything more, but am very happy with how much I did already.

Here's the quote from Andy Tudor for the interested, I'm not a -step guy, but if the music gives us any publicity then that'd be great:
Please find below a 'supercut' trailer featuring footage from some of the previous trailers (some of which never made it to GameTrailers due to music copyright). It was an absolute pleasure to edit thanks to some amazing video captures from you guys. Just have to chop the borders and put the MTV track name on still...

Plan would be for it to be available next week to appeal to the Forza Horizon/Need For Speed: Most Wanted crowd and ride on the back of Josh' recent release "Something Kinda" that came out this last Monday.

_machine

This is probably double-post worthy news:

Doesn't look like we'll get Porsche, but RUF's is in!
Arse, too much beer. I'll be fired tomorrow but "done" as in license signed for 1987 CTR "Yellowbird", 2012 CTR3, 2012 Rt 12R and the 2012 RGT-8.
And a mystery german manufacturer has also contacted SMS:
A certain large German manufacturer (it's not Porsche, and I won't say who so don't bother guessing) actually contacted us today to ask if we'd like some of their cars in the game, so the tide could be turning.

(No doubt their next step will be to tell us how much we have to pay, but still!)

And a mystery german manufacturer has also contacted SMS:

A certain large German manufacturer (it's not Porsche, and I won't say who so don't bother guessing) actually contacted us today to ask if we'd like some of their cars in the game, so the tide could be turning. (No doubt their next step will be to tell us how much we have to pay, but still!)

I wasn't aware that the tide needed turning. Had they been discouraged by the lack of interest from manufacturers?

Blizzard

Banned
I wasn't aware that the tide needed turning. Had they been discouraged by the lack of interest from manufacturers?
It may have been a case of manufacturers being fine with it when SMS asked them, but otherwise manufacturers not being aware of the existence of CARS. In this case, presumably the manufacturer themselves was like hey, that's cool, we want to be part of that -- without SMS even having to market it to them or pursue them.

It have been a case of manufacturers being fine with it when SMS asked them, but otherwise manufacturers not being aware of the existence of CARS. In this case, presumably the manufacturer themselves was like hey, that's cool, we want to be part of that -- without SMS even having to market it to them or pursue them.

Ah, yes. Gotcha. Good news then.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hopefully Mercedes.

Hopefully Maybach.

In all seriousness though, I'm really excited to hear who the manufacturer is. German cars are probably my favorite in general, so pretty much whatever the news is it's gonna be good news for me.

mclaren777

A certain large German manufacturer

Bummer. I'd much rather have small companies or just lots and lots of open-wheeled cars.

For example...

iniIp6RmE9wJT.jpg

Watevaman

Open wheeled cars get boring once you get similar classes involved. I'd much rather have diverse groups with just enough variety in each to hold a championship.

Megasoum

Banned
I forget, is pCARS designed to be mod friendly (I am not referring to how hard to would be to create quality mods)?

Not right now and there's some very heated discussions going in the forums right now between the pro and anti mods people...

I've never seen so much mod hate before lol...Some of those people are really ridiculous.

Oh and NEVER mention GTA 4 in one of those threads hahaha.

paskowitz

Not right now and there's some very heated discussions going in the forums right now between the pro and anti mods people...

I've never seen so much mod hate before lol...Some of those people are really ridiculous.

I figured as much. Just have two .exe files. One that accepts mods and one that does not. For the .exe with mods you can only make private online rooms. .exe w/o mods is the normal game. Mods have their little world and stock game purists have theirs.

I assume people are worried about shit mods in a game as graphically intense as pCARS. Well, I suspect the best solution to this is pirating car models from Forza (yes, a 360 game) and NFS Shift. Which is an issue in and of itself.

Could you provide me a link to the thread, for amusement?

Blizzard

Banned
I forget, is pCARS designed to be mod friendly (I am not referring to how hard to would be to create quality mods)?
I think currently anyone can make car liveries, but I don't know whether they have still decided to have any mod support for the final game (other than liveries). I'm pro-mod and should probably voice my opinion, but mine is a very small voice in lots of members. :p

Megasoum

Banned
I figured as much. Just have two .exe files. One that accepts mods and one that does not. For the .exe with mods you can only make private online rooms. .exe w/o mods is the normal game. Mods have their little world and stock game purists have theirs.

I assume people are worried about shit mods in a game as graphically intense as pCARS. Well, I suspect the best solution to this is pirating car models from Forza (yes, a 360 game) and NFS Shift. Which is an issue in and of itself.

Could you provide me a link to the thread, for amusement?

It's not even that lol... It's "investors" freaking out that some people might modify their precious game. I'm telling you...some of those people in those threads...man....

_machine

You mean the GTA 4 thread?

I side with the devs on this one. They made the models and now people are distributing them in various some games, some that are "competition" to pCars like rF2, and not giving credit or source. Andy said that they do not want it to happen and it was against the ToS; it's disrespecting the authour and pretty much blatant piracy. The devs don't want their content being ripped off and their wishes should be respected.

That doesn't mean it's always bad; the guy who ripped Witcher 2 stuff to Skyrim asked for permission beforehand and was granted one.

There's still a lot be decided, but there definitely will be support for some modded content:
No one but the developers have the skills necessary to craft these cars and tracks to this level.

No seriously, we fully plan to release a lot of tools. In what areas is still to be decided. We don't want a fragmented community.

I couldn't find the post, but they said that once the time comes to decide they'll give us the pros and cons post and probably start a poll on it

Anyhow, it's not a simple matter of wanting to have proper moddability and whether it's viable and doable. Micas or others weren't against modding, but against of doing it at the cost of included content and console versions. The devs themselves started as modders.

First, to do it properly you need to dedicate a lot of resources into it. The UI team, the physics team, the modellers, online team etc. need to work together to make it happen, and that's just a basic implementation.

So, it would mean cutting some content from the release version, but more importantly it something that the console versions wouldn't benefit at all. Seeing as majority of the sales will come from the console versions is it fair or wise to cut anything from them especially since we're still talking about probably less cars and tracks than competitors. PC will still be easily the best of them of feature plenty of options missing from the console versions.

There's hardly any reason to be agaisnt modding in general, but it remains to be seen if it's the way for pCARS. I would love to see P&G4 make it pCars or something from RMT, but more importantly I want the base game to be as good as possible. If there's going to be a vote then I want to know what exactly is going to be cut to make it happen.

Currently, there's going to be proper livery support and I believe open scripting for custom races and possibly something else.

Shaneus

Wow, I'm actually pretty impressed now that manufacturers are actually approaching *them* to put stuff in. I guess that doesn't normally happen unless it's a big name like Forza or Gran Turismo, right?

TheD

The Detective
It's not even that lol... It's "investors" freaking out that some people might modify their precious game. I'm telling you...some of those people in those threads...man....

The big "investors" are the people that turned me off upgrading from junior, I see they are still at it, trying to sink the game with stupidity.

With the voting setup as it is, one or two idiots can control the vote via just showing up and voting, due to the number of lower members you have to rally to vote otherwise.

_machine

Wow, I'm actually pretty impressed now that manufacturers are actually approaching *them* to put stuff in. I guess that doesn't normally happen unless it's a big name like Forza or Gran Turismo, right?
They still seem to make you pay for free advertising though ;)

You mean the GTA 4 thread?

I side with the devs on this one. They made the models and now people are distributing them in various some games, some that are "competition" to pCars like rF2, and not giving credit or source. Andy said that they do not want it to happen and it was against the ToS; it's disrespecting the authour and pretty much blatant piracy. The devs don't want their content being ripped off and their wishes should be respected.

That doesn't mean it's always bad; the guy who ripped Witcher 2 stuff to Skyrim asked for permission beforehand and was granted one.

I think the problem with the pCARS forum is a lot of the people there are too close to the devs. If that discussion happened here, mostly no one would give a shit that some skins from pCARS ended up in GTA 4, especially when it's an incredibly niche thing that probably a few thousand (if that) people end up using. I noticed that a lot of people are either too invested in the particular game (understandable if they've dropped tens of thousnads in to the project, I guess) or the mentality of the devs which is obviously different to the consumers has warn off on the community as so many of them post on there.

As a consumer, I really don't care in the slightest. I was really shocked that so many people were out for blood that had no ties to SMS etc.

Like I said on the pCARS forum, I do agree that their models shouldn't be used in rival products, however. There is reason to find that pretty damn dodgy.

Megasoum

Banned
I think the problem with the pCARS forum is a lot of the people there are too close to the devs. If that discussion happened here, mostly no one would give a shit that some skins from pCARS ended up in GTA 4, especially when it's an incredibly niche thing that probably a few thousand (if that) people end up using. I noticed that a lot of people are either too invested in the particular game (understandable if they've dropped tens of thousnads in to the project, I guess) or the mentality of the devs which is obviously different to the consumers has warn off on the community as so many of them post on there.

As a consumer, I really don't care in the slightest. I was really shocked that so many people were out for blood that had no ties to SMS etc.

Like I said on the pCARS forum, I do agree that their models shouldn't be used in rival products, however. There is reason to find that pretty damn dodgy.

I just can't wait for the day when some of them will realize that their precious will get pirated just like any other games available today.

Anyway, as somebody who is a consumer for pCARS (I'm a full member) but also working in the game industry (so I know how those things work, from both sides of the issue), I must say that it's kinda funny to follow those guys.

I just can't wait for the day when some of them will realize that their precious will get pirated just like any other games available today.

Anyway, as somebody who is a consumer for pCARS (I'm a full member) but also working in the game industry (so I know how those things work, from both sides of the issue), I must say that it's kinda funny to follow those guys.

Piracy threads will be kinda funny.

Someone will link The Pirate Bay and say "22 THOUSAND PEOPLE ARE STEALING MY PROFIT" haha.

Ahh, the forums are pretty good honestly, most people just take it a bit too seriously I think.

Megasoum

Banned

Someone will link The Pirate Bay and say "22 THOUSAND PEOPLE ARE STEALING MY PROFIT" haha.

Ahh, the forums are pretty good honestly, most people just take it a bit too seriously I think.

Yeah exactly. It was bound to happen since with a "normal" game the investors are nowhere near as involved in the day to day stuff.

_machine

There's also the way how these guys do it:

One ripper in particular seemed like a real nice guy, he'd registered a couple of months ago as a junior, made no posts or efforts to aid the development, ripped numerous models from the game and distributed them as his own with no credit to SMS. He blatantly violated the terms of WMD and freely distributed content he did not own as his own. In that case "out of blood" is kinda acceptable and at least trying to take it down from major sites is fine because it's what the owner's of the content want.

Now think about if that was some content you created yourself, say you made a model for Power and Glory and wanted it to be exclusive for said mod. Then some guy goes and rips it, distributes as his own and refuses to take it down because it's no big deal.

I don't think ripping the models into GTA4 in itself is very harmful, but it should not be acceptable by any means if the content owners are certainly against it. Vitt also said that it can be harmful for the devs in the long run.

Also, I kind want to hear some quotes from the big investors, Micas could not be described as cool-headed, but I think they have good points:
Well.. staring at the screen and thinking about this a bit more, money has nothing to do with it, and I would think all WMD members would be supremely pissed off about this. This is "our" game, and it's not cool for jackasses to pay a WMD membership fee to rip off our game. There's nothing that can be done about it.. but looking at it in terms of the "few ruining it for the many" - that's the effect it has on me in terms of modding.
-
I just sent another 25,000 euros to SMS today so I can contribute to SMS making more car models and so on. I worked my fucking ass off for that money, and I feel like the car models the team makes belong to me too, and I'm really god damn upset that some assholes think they can rip it off and claim ownership of it, get recognition for the their theft on other web sites, and what really fucking annoys me is that some people here think that's just fine.
-
(Regarding Modding)
I'm still going to vote no on any mods that can be used in multiplayer. It's really important for the longevity of the game that we keep the community together. I'm hoping that there will be some longer term support from SMS. Since we have a direct line to the devs here, we can simply detail exactly what kind of mod we'd like, SMS can create it as an expansion pack and we'll just buy it for a reasonable fee. That would ensure the quality of the mod, reduce the potential for game hacks, and keep everyone on the same version of the game.

I really want pCARS to have a vibrant and long lasting online community, and not just leagues. It can be the best online experience that doesn't come with a monthly subscription.
I don't see the problem here, he wants the game to be as good as possible and make money at the same time. Those two are not exclusive.

EDIT: Holy crap, they actually broke 450k yesterday and there's still at least 50k of SM money coming.

You're quite right of course that it isn't "right" to take assets like that, but to put it in a mod in a way that no way gets that person profit or makes people shy away from pCARS, I just can't muster any reason to care :p

My personal preference would be to allow mods. As good as SMS support can be, nothing really compares with a good mod community.

TheD

The Detective
You're quite right of course that it isn't "right" to take assets like that, but to put it in a mod in a way that no way gets that person profit or makes people shy away from pCARS, I just can't muster any reason to care :p

My personal preference would be to allow mods. As good as SMS support can be, nothing really compares with a good mod community.

Good mod communities can keep a game alive long past when it would have died off without it.

markao

I find this such a bogus argument.

Let's for argument sake say that someone found a way to rip iRacing tracks and port them to rFactor 2, or older gMotor based games. This would then be completely acceptable, because he/she does not make any profit from it, really.

Modding, as in creating your own stuff like Renato and team (F79 mod), the Historic GT stuff, P&g mod, VLM tracks/mods, scratch build Nordschleife and so on, those people should always be supported, IMHO, if possible. The scum that rips content out of other games, should be looked down on as it is right now on most respected PC racing sites/forums (no file linking).

I will support it in pCARS if SMS is capable on keeping the original game files "verifiable(checksum)" (like SimBin GTR(x) series), so when I compare my times on a leaderboard or go online for some close racing, I do not end up racing a guy with modded tires or engines files.

Blizzard

Banned

This isn't really funny at all, because I'm afraid people will campaign for some sort of super DRM more than the online login already requires. I would be okay with the online login + Steam, but more would make me sad and I think could cause more harm than good.

However:
Well.. staring at the screen and thinking about this a bit more, money has nothing to do with it, and I would think all WMD members would be supremely pissed off about this. This is "our" game, and it's not cool for jackasses to pay a WMD membership fee to rip off our game. There's nothing that can be done about it.. but looking at it in terms of the "few ruining it for the many" - that's the effect it has on me in terms of modding.
-
I just sent another 25,000 euros to SMS today so I can contribute to SMS making more car models and so on. I worked my fucking ass off for that money, and I feel like the car models the team makes belong to me too, and I'm really god damn upset that some assholes think they can rip it off and claim ownership of it, get recognition for the their theft on other web sites, and what really fucking annoys me is that some people here think that's just fine.
-
(Regarding Modding)
I'm still going to vote no on any mods that can be used in multiplayer. It's really important for the longevity of the game that we keep the community together. I'm hoping that there will be some longer term support from SMS. Since we have a direct line to the devs here, we can simply detail exactly what kind of mod we'd like, SMS can create it as an expansion pack and we'll just buy it for a reasonable fee. That would ensure the quality of the mod, reduce the potential for game hacks, and keep everyone on the same version of the game.

I really want pCARS to have a vibrant and long lasting online community, and not just leagues. It can be the best online experience that doesn't come with a monthly subscription.
I disagree with this. I guess I should try to find the thread and respond there directly, but this is of course a case where someone paid 50-to-75 times as much money as I did, so my opinion has a relatively smaller weight. Note that it's great someone did donate that much money -- I'm just saying that it's understandable that a minority opinion may not have as much weight.

The thing is that the man is both (presumably) well off and has a close connection to SMS (due to large investment), and thus he is potentially at liberty to try to request a specific mod from SMS. Most people will not be in that position, and as long as there are options to use only official checksum'd files, you can have unmodded time trials as well as modded time trials, and if anything your community should stay alive LONGER, no?

Even if you try to lock out modding, you could end up playing cat and mouse with people trying to cheat and modify files, so that problem exists either way. How does giving community more tools/options/mods with broader appeal negatively impact community longevity? If anything, judging by high-profile examples like Minecraft and DayZ, longevity and appeal are increased. Look at how long the ARMA series has been in the Steam top seller list. I'm pretty sure it's not because people constantly buy ARMA II to play ARMA II. :p

The other factor I dislike is paying for incremental updates (subscription/stream of paid DLC) rather than mod/free updates and an initial investment, with continued money made off of game sales. Maybe the only viable financial model in the future truly is paid DLC and microtransactions, and I'm merely a sad relic of the past. I'm not a financial expert enough to know.

*edit* Looking on the forums, some of the above quotes are actually from a long time ago (several months at least?), so I probably missed the boat on that discussion anyway.

Now on the other hand, if you argue that spending too much time to make a good set of mod tools could be too expensive and not a wise investment since consoles could not use them, I could buy that argument.

Megasoum

Banned
This isn't really funny at all, because I'm afraid people will campaign for some sort of super DRM more than the online login already requires. I would be okay with the online login + Steam, but more would make me sad and I think could cause more harm than good.

Yeah, and the only DRM that actually works is a login (which we already have), anything else is a huge waste of time and money and will be cracked within hours of being released.

Oh and let's not forget that the 360 version will be available online at least a week before release day lol.

The thing is that the man is both (presumably) well off and has a close connection to SMS (due to large investment), and thus he is potentially at liberty to try to request a specific mod from SMS.

He's either the guy who took a loan to invest more or the guy who took a second mortgage on his house to invest more... I can't remember who's who between the two big wigs.

Even if you try to lock out modding, you could end up playing cat and mouse with people trying to cheat and modify files, so that problem exists either way. How does giving community more tools/options/mods with broader appeal negatively impact community longevity? If anything, judging by high-profile examples like Minecraft and DayZ, longevity and appeal are increased. Look at how long the ARMA series has been in the Steam top seller list. I'm pretty sure it's not because people constantly buy ARMA II to play ARMA II. :p

Agree, modding still happen most of the time even if the company won't offer proper mod tools. Heck, there was modding in the Shift games and they never offered tool, it was even frowned upon because EA didn't allow it. Didn't stop people from doing it...and pCARS is using the same engine (and presumably a similar file structure).

Now on the other hand, if you argue that spending too much time to make a good set of mod tools could be too expensive and not a wise investment since consoles could not use them, I could buy that argument.

Agree also

_machine

Ditto.

Generally speaking, I think it's something that could be done a little after launch(but still create the base for added content during the development) as not to affect the base content or console versions. Shift's modding didn't work very well online and enabled cheating easily so trying to lock the game at first and then provide proper tools when they're ready could be an option.

TJP

The big "investors" are the people that turned me off upgrading from junior, I see they are still at it, trying to sink the game with stupidity.
I felt the same way for a very long time but as each build got better, I thought 'screw it' and gave a few extra dollars to become a senior. I don't care about what happens financially, I just want a great game. I don't bother to read the majority of threads on WMD as the negativity towards other games and dev teams boils my piss but that is what happens when certain types of people invest in pCARS.

The announcement of RUF is a good one - I'm sure nearly every sim due for release in the next 2 years has RUF cars 8) but no Porsche (thanks EA) or Ferrari (thanks MS).

Top Bottom