• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Shaneus

I felt the same way for a very long time but as each build got better, I thought 'screw it' and gave a few extra dollars to become a senior. I don't care about what happens financially, I just want a great game. I don't bother to read the majority of threads on WMD as the negativity towards other games and dev teams boils my piss but that is what happens when certain types of people invest in pCARS.

The announcement of RUF is a good one - I'm sure nearly every sim due for release in the next 2 years has RUF cars 8) but no Porsche (thanks EA) or Ferrari (thanks MS).
MS *seems* to be a little more open with their Ferrari license, though. GT5, Shift (I think?), OutRun Online Arcade, Ferrari Challenge or Academy or whatever. There are far more non-MS games with Ferraris in them than non-EA games with Porsches. And generally speaking, they're as popular as each other so it's equally likely (licensing notwithstanding) that if you have a Ferrari in a game, you'd have a Porsche as well.

Arucardo

MS *seems* to be a little more open with their Ferrari license, though. GT5, Shift (I think?), OutRun Online Arcade, Ferrari Challenge or Academy or whatever. There are far more non-MS games with Ferraris in them than non-EA games with Porsches. And generally speaking, they're as popular as each other so it's equally likely (licensing notwithstanding) that if you have a Ferrari in a game, you'd have a Porsche as well.

You can bet your ball sacks that MS wouldn't have let Sony/PD have the Ferrari license, but the deal was made before MS got the exclusivity rights. They're not giving it to EA now either presumably because of the whole Porsche thing and in my opinion EA got the shorter straw in this one, Ferrari's going to sell a lot more copies that Porsche is.

Shaneus

Really? I thought MS had the exclusivity deal for *years* (at least, dating back to PGR3). I suppose anything could've been inked for GT5 before then, but I honestly can't think of any games off the top of my head that would've had Ferrari in them had MS not had the rights, but didn't.

TJP

Go read what Ian Bell had to say about MS and the Ferrari licence on NoGrip - the MS licencing deal is the reason why Shift 2 didn't have Ferrari when Shift did as MS and EA had a spat which resulted in neither company giving up their licences. As for Ferrari Virtual Academy, Ferrari were apparently very happy with what they saw in netKar Pro and approached Kunos 8) You can no longer buy Outrun online because the Ferrari licence was revoked.

Are MS still good guys in this or are EA still the bigger arseholes?

MS does not have the license for PS3 games, only 360.

Shaneus

Go read what Ian Bell had to say about MS and the Ferrari licence on NoGrip - the MS licencing deal is the reason why Shift 2 didn't have Ferrari when Shift did as MS and EA had a spat which resulted in neither company giving up their licences. As for Ferrari Virtual Academy, Ferrari were apparently very happy with what they saw in netKar Pro and approached Kunos 8) You can no longer buy Outrun online because the Ferrari licence was revoked.

Are MS still good guys in this or are EA still the bigger arseholes?
All news to me! I didn't for one moment think that MS were good guys... just, less "arsehole-ish" than EA.

MS does not have the license for PS3 games, only 360.
Ah. There ya go.

TJP

All news to me! I didn't for one moment think that MS were good guys... just, less "arsehole-ish" than EA.
EA were smart and bought the Porsche licence and have used it to their advantage as much as it sucks for the gaming public. I'm loving Most Wanted so I don't care about the EA hate (even though I don't particularly like them either). Funny thing is, before the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 came along, PC games always featured cars from Ferrari and Porsche e.g. GTR 1 and GTR 2 plus GT Legends. Since 2007, very few games feature cars from either company 8(

RUF is more than a good enough replacement for me.

Shaneus

Yeah, to be honest while I miss not having Porsche a little, IMO it's almost entirely made up for by the Yellowbird and the RGT (I think that was the one... it was my personal favourite in PGR4. The second most powerful RUF, I think) anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
Junior member build time!

Build 340 (2/11/12, Junior Member+)
Online:
* Remove brackets from browse list weather data
* Fixed browse list to clear display correctly on no games found
* Extended reset clear distance to 30m (may still be a little short but we'll see - feedback required please)
* Only play suspension animation if wheel node exists
* Tweaked the thresholds for resetting the car away from other vehicles in MP session
* Vehicle updates now using MP CompressedNetwork Packet and reset on track working again.Updated protocol_version to 11
* MP reset position: Enabled reset for MP sessions (Only reset when track is clear at spawn point, and Enable collisions only when clear of other vehicles)
* Fix up MP browse for new data
* Added a class representing a set of NodeRefId's. This will be used instead of obsolete masks containing participant Id's
* Car column moved next to Track column. Weather/Time separated correctly now on Multiplayer Browse screen
* Location column header renamed 'Track' on Multiplayer Browse screen
* New column data for Multiplayer Browse screen (laps, date, weather, car)
* Fix up MP browse for new data Adds new data to a session review block at the bottom of the list
Physics:
* Temporary triggering of remote vehicles through start/finish line
* Experimental first draft of car to car collision improvements. Detachable components current disabled
Render:
* Added initialization of SObjectData::m_dataBlob and SObjectData::m_updatesStart, this should get rid of crashes reported in method CBridgedStream::FindInterpolatedObject
Input:
* Add manual thread update locking control to cPlayer
* Default RaceInput behaviour is to lock thread updates on disconnection and delay unlocking until after player is reinitialised
* Implement thread update locking for direct input devices
* Catch failed attempts to set Logitech profiler properties, with retry and timeout
* Catch possible missed app deactivations and force a controller restart in these situations
* Reduce frequency of LED updates for Logitech/Fanatec wheels
Season:
* AI opponent participant info now remains the same between Season Rounds rather than being re-generated each Round
* Preliminary Season scoring. Scores for each participant are now added at the end of each season round. The UI won't show the sorted scores until Standings screen has been added
Audio:
* Softened falloff of pit lane lights
* Fix for reported transmission whine issue
* Balancing tweaks for updated engine settings
* Added vibration layer; updated with 3d distnace eq and filter; updated compression settings
* Added vibro layer to Asano X4
STM:
* Set default tyre back to low grip version to catch cars without tyre records
* Add records for every car in tyre control file. Currently using FA compound for all
Tracks:
* Lakeville Raceway GP: Fixed remaining curb terrain intersections and gaps, further smoothed and cleaned ground and road, invisible collision walls removed from inner area, collisions for tyrewall backside added
* Lakeville Raceway GP: Updated driveable ground mesh, curbs-terrain gaps fixed 50%, (new trackedges, overlay skid fix, small road tweak, additional tyrewall collision)
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Add new fences around the pit exit area
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Add missing fences for entrance tunnel
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Merge new car building
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Remap few building with new brick textures
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Add missing emmisive map for lasourcebuilding03
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Fix small issue for emmap for lasourcebuilding03
* Belgian Forest Circuit: Missing emmap for lasourcebuilding03
Vehicles:
* If AI or wipers are not assigned to a button or key the wipers turn on automatically
* GUMPERT apollo: changed wiper animation playback to looped
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know this build should include the experimental SETA Formula A tire model as an option, if anyone wants to try it. If you do, make sure to delete your default.sav and restart the game so you get reset settings and car setups, though!

SETA issue problem discussion/reporting goes here: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?9969-STM-Status-Overview-Known-Issues-List
Multiplayer (team member+ only as far as I know) feedback and bugs go here: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?10208-Multiplayer-Test-Feedback
Known multiplayer issues: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?10038-MP-Known-Issues-Non-Implemented-Features-List
Multiplayer behavior guide (be a nice driver!): http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?10283-Multiplayer-behaviour-guide-for-everyone

_machine

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know this build should include the experimental SETA Formula A tire model as an option, if anyone wants to try it. If you do, make sure to delete your default.sav and restart the game so you get reset settings and car setups, though!
Yeah, first time STM is available for junior members.

It can be a tough bitch playing with a pad, I recommend turning down the sensitivity and applying less steering lock and gas.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, first time STM is available for junior members.

It can be a tough bitch playing with a pad, I recommend turning down the sensitivity and applying less steering lock and gas.
An important thing for me early on, though admittedly also with a pad, is probably just to buckle down and just play 3-5 laps in a row. Not only do you get more used to the tire model, but also you can get tire warmup or whatever for better feel.

Yes, DO NOT overdo steering or gas, lol. It can take some experimentation to learn the gentler touch required to keep the car in control rather than just jamming the controls. I thought it was rewarding in the end!

Shaneus

Is that new for the STM, where they're applying the FA STM profile to all cars? Were they just using some default value before?

So for obvious reasons I do not want to look through this thread for impressions.

But I've seen a few fellow Gaffers on my friends list in Steam launching a beta for this, and I think it looks incredible, and I'm wondering what people here have thought about it?

_machine

So how do you guys get together to race? I'm online right now but you still can't add friends online, so I can't add any of you...
Fastest Sector Steam Group
So if I bought the junior membership, what build am I getting exactly, and what cars/tracks are available to me?
Monthly build, last of which was just released. You probably won't be getting multiplayer apart from some load tests.

For the current content, you won't get access to BMWs, Paganis (I'm not sure though) Nurburgring (Nords nor GP), the point to point country roads and probably something else, I can't remember just right now.

EDIT: Found the whole list:
Senior and above
Eifelwald GP track (Nurburgring GP Circuit)

Full Member and above
TweakIt tool (Timescale and weather editor)

Team Member and above
Azure Coast track (P2P Riviera Coast)
California Highway track (P2P Usa Coast)
Eifelwald track (Nurburgrin Nordschleife)
Lakeville track (Infineon/Sonoma Raceway)
BMW M1 ProCar
BMW Z4 GT3
Caterham Classic
Pagani Huayra
multiplayer access

But I've seen a few fellow Gaffers on my friends list in Steam launching a beta for this, and I think it looks incredible, and I'm wondering what people here have thought about it?
Nit-picking, but it's pre-alpha not a feature complete beta ;)

Anyhow, my thoughts are the potential of the game is enourmous on all parts of the game, but there's still a long way to go for all of them.

Another cool fan-made video: Ayrton Senna Tribute

I feel like a lot of the gang I play with are getting better at avoiding the crazy crashes, unless you have some people on the grid who don't move in which case it's absolute chaos no matter what.

Had some really nice racing last night:

Bathurst
Donnington
Mugello
Spa

The sooner we can get private lobbies so we don't need to dodge randoms the experience will get 100x better. At the moment we're going to the race as soon as all of us in are in to avoid randoms, ha.

DieH@rd

Banned
Mind listing the music in that video?

I couldn't quite recognize it all under the game's sounds, but I think there were quite good bands that I don't I've heard before.

3 songs are in there - White Wizzard's High Speed GTO [craziest video of all time], Imprelliteri's Hungry Days and X-Japan's Kurenai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8-zehtCs7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf_F2dV_sGU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NVEpqTTjkY&list=PL555C524024696178&index=44&feature=plpp_video

_machine

3 songs are in there - White Wizzard's High Speed GTO [craziest video of all time], Imprelliteri's Hungry Days and X-Japan's Kurenai.
Thanks, I almost recognized Rob Rock's voice and I've heard of X-Japan, but I definitely need to check more on that White Wizzard.

Been monitoring this thread for ages now. I finally plunked down for a g27 so I bought Cars (Junior) and I have it downloading as we speak :)

From people who play; are we talking rFactor level physics or something else? Been playing rFactor 2 and even though I knew it was a hard game I still couldn't believe how difficult it was to drive lol. I love it but it's real 'work'.

gonna be a good weekend...

Been monitoring this thread for ages now. I finally plunked down for a g27 so I bought Cars (Junior) and I have it downloading as we speak :)

From people who play; are we talking rFactor level physics or something else? Been playing rFactor 2 and even though I knew it was a hard game I still couldn't believe how difficult it was to drive lol. I love it but it's real 'work'.

gonna be a good weekend...

You buy a G27 and only buy yourself a Junior level? :p

_machine

Well the old tyre model, the BTM, which is still the one used mainly cannot quite compete with other sims like rF. It just doesn't behave very well at the limit and has a bit of a notchy and clunky feel, but can be good fun still, especially in Multiplayer.

The new model, the STM, is still heavily under work, but it does seem very promising. You can use the early preview of it by adding -seta to the game's shortcut, but keep in mind that the Formula A is the only car that's partly set up for it, but even still it's just a preview of things to come. And the aim is still to be the most realistic driving game to date.

If you want to try the STM, I suggest reading this first.

I agree with rF2 being really difficult, even though I've player it for like 4 to 5 hours with a DFGT. For me it just goes beyond the point what I think is realistic and feels right compared despite the tyre model itself responding really well. Driving "fast" in real life just isn't that hard until you get to that fine limit and your balls aren't big enough.

In other news, I got a near confirmation that I'll get to drive a Formula Ford and probably an Audi RS4 next summer (won't be free though, but I get some instructions too), thanks to my mechanic/driver friend :)

DieH@rd

Banned
So far, the biggest disappointment in the game is the crazy vibrating shit that can be found with Formula A cars. There is no suspension working, entire car vibrates crazily, destroying the FFB engines in my G27 [STM tire model is not activated manually].

But they will fix that... hopefully soon.

Jamesways

Yes, but we all know your story.

Yeah... pCARS isn't going to get a publisher, i.e. won't be released on console, will be lucky to even get to a PC release only, most likely fail as a project, and hopefully get sued by users/investors.

At least that's the jist of what I get from your some of your recent doom and gloom posts.

Mclaren, do you want to see pCARS fall on it's face?

I was under the impression that you wanted to see this project take off, as well as wishing rFactor2, AC, GTR3, etc to successful finacially.

Lately I'm reading that you think it's doomed, not coming to console, and ripe for lawsuits by people investing/supporting this endeavor.

As I console player, I really hope you're wrong.

mclaren777

Mclaren, do you want to see pCARS fall on it's face?

I truly don't want it to fail; I'm just concerned about the way things have gone so far.

When this project was first announced it sounded like the best thing ever and I think we were all smitten by its potential. SMS was promising to give the community a ton of influence over the direction of the project and it was going to be release in roughly a year on four different platforms. Since then, however, I think the charm has definitely worn off for some people.

A significant delay on the release date, glacially slow development of the physics/FFB, and some major marketplace hurdles have all eroded my faith. I obviously can't speak for everybody, but my confidence in this project's financial health is definitely weaker than it was 12 months ago.

If a white knight publisher comes to save the day, this project could end up being a wild success, but I'm not willing to wager $40 on that actually happening.

Sethos

Banned
mclaren, I don't really understand why you are so concerned with this game?

You are already extremely invested in another game, which seems it can do no wrong. However this game you scrutinize every single little thing, every single change made is somehow wrong or you are extremely skeptical about despite the game being in development. We all know your story with this game, so it's even harder to take your posts and criticism as genuine and impartial.

Right now you've been kicked out of the project, as far as I remember? Yet you are still extremely invested in how the game is published and run.

I like you man and I know this comes off as a bit hostile but every single post in this thread from you is just scrutinizing and bringing up some inane points in a subtle attempt to put the entire project in some weird light.

mclaren777

However this game you scrutinize every single little thing, every single change made is somehow wrong...Right now you've been kicked out of the project, as far as I remember?

Let's be honest: I almost never talk about the content of the game itself.

I'm actually quite impressed with what SMS has made so far. The geometry and textures are fantastic, and the overall content is the best I've ever seen in a racing game. SMS should be really proud of itself and I think this game will make a killing if the planned console ports are done well.

The main reason to dislike my participation in this thread is my focus on the business side of pCARS. Enough of you have mentioned it that I should probably keep my mouth shut for a while. In fact, that's what I will do from now on.

However, I am still a member of this project so I will occasionally pop in to share my thoughts from time to time.

Sethos

Banned
Let's be honest: I almost never talk about the content of the game itself.

I'm actually quite impressed with what SMS has made so far. The geometry and textures are fantastic, and the overall content is the best I've ever seen in a racing game. SMS should be really proud of itself and I think this game will make a killing if the planned console ports are done well.

The main reason to dislike my participation in this thread is my focus on the business side of pCARS. Enough of you have mentioned it that I should probably keep my mouth shut for a while. In fact, that's what I will do from now on.

However, I am still a member of this project so I will occasionally pop in to share my thoughts from time to time.

Well, that wasn't meant to be a 'shut up' post as I do appreciate your take on these subjects and I also know you aren't one of those people who just want to scream "omg this game sucks!". However I'm not sure you're impartial and fair towards the game based on the history. Critical and negative views are most welcome but when you know they come from a person with a possible agenda and you see it quite often then I just get a bit uncertain.

You may also have the very best of intentions and I just got the wrong impression.

Yes... the best of intentions...

This is the guy that downplayed a game because of a 1 frame lighting switch after a camera change, or a repeated texture on a tiny portion of an track you're never going to see...

mclaren777

You're definitely right about one thing, Sethos – I really like the physics/FFB in rFactor 2 and I don't think pCARS will ever supplant it in my eyes. In that regard, I am fairly biased.

I realize that Andrew Weber has been hard at work on the STM and I'm really looking forward to trying it on the lesser-powered cars. To say I have an agenda might be a little extreme, but I understand what you mean. The truth of the matter is that I want pCARS content in rF2 or rF2 physics/FFB in pCARS. That's not a big secret.

And it wasn't just your post that has motivated me to chill out. I'm often the voice of doom/gloom in threads like this (anybody remember the GT5 controversy?) and I really need to stop derailing peoples' hype trains. You guys are welcome to spend your money however you wish, regardless of my personal opinion.

Edit: yep, Metalmurphy remembers the GT5 controversy well. :)

Dead Man

I feel like a lot of the gang I play with are getting better at avoiding the crazy crashes, unless you have some people on the grid who don't move in which case it's absolute chaos no matter what.

Had some really nice racing last night:

Bathurst
Donnington
Mugello
Spa

The sooner we can get private lobbies so we don't need to dodge randoms the experience will get 100x better. At the moment we're going to the race as soon as all of us in are in to avoid randoms, ha.

That Bathurst looks great, narrow, but not too narrow.

Just got the game (junior member)

It's got a long way to go, but this will definitely be something special when it's done!

Gonna upgrade to full member sometime in the future.
i8yLnXHLGsE1e.jpg

Guys, I'm thinking about maybe contributing, but I need to know two things:

How would this run @1080p in a laptop with a GT 650M (slightly OC'd), IB i7@3.1GHz (i7-3610QM) and 8GB of RAM?

How playable/enjoyable is this with controller? I don't have my wheel right now and I won't have it for some time.

Thanks!

_machine

How would this run @1080p in a laptop with a GT 650M (slightly OC'd), IB i7@3.1GHz (i7-3610QM) and 8GB of RAM?
I think you should be able to run it pretty well at mediumish settings, but the performance changes constantly and for example rainy weather is still very taxing. Once they actually optimize the game (IE get closer to the final release) performance shouldn't be an issue if you can compromise the image quality.

How playable/enjoyable is this with controller? I don't have my wheel right now and I won't have it for some time.
The old tyre model is very controller friendly even with the pad filtering being what it is currently, but with the new tyre model (STM) it can get a bit tricky at first without any aids, but certainly driveable (need to be careful with the steering and the throttle). Once they get to improving the pad filtering and improve the STM it will hopefully better than any game before even on a pad.

Watevaman

Uploaded a video of a lap around Bathurst. Definitely my favorite track so far in pCARS, but I'm still getting used to it, especially the downhill section as showcased in the video.

Caper @ Bathurst

sorry for the compression, anyone have any tips on what codec to use? this was with the Xvid codec in VDub.

DieH@rd

Banned
Uploaded a video of a lap around Bathurst. Definitely my favorite track so far in pCARS, but I'm still getting used to it, especially the downhill section as showcased in the video.

Caper @ Bathurst

sorry for the compression, anyone have any tips on what codec to use? this was with the Xvid codec in VDub.

JESUS CHRIST, this looks like real life. Little more camera shaking and it would look really lifelike. Can you change vid title and description so we can fool someone? :D

Dead Man

Caper @ Bathurst

God, I need to get in on this. That Bathurst is just perfect. I so need a new computer.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Having watched some videos of their Bathurst... I need to buy into this right NOW.

How are these guys modelling the tracks? Because from the videos Bathurst looks damn near perfect. All the little bumps and stuff. So good.

Top Bottom