• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

lordxar

PS4 store is weird. Only certain titles are available for digital preorder. Like Bloodborne and Evil Within I was able to order months in advance but Dark Souls 2 wasn't even listed until launch day and PCars doesn't even show up on a store search from a minute ago...

MaLDo

What do you guys think of the graphics?

Good enough for what the game is.

They really need a full current gen renderer for PCARS 2. Not because graphics are bad, but the performance hit for every effect is too big because of the old-gen roots of the engine. They will have a big jump in graphics and performance when they can make a clean sweep.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So without a doubt, the PS4 version is 1080p correct? In many of the videos I've seen the image just seems a bit soft. Is that just the video quality or some form of motion/image blur?

Azzawon

PS4 store is weird. Only certain titles are available for digital preorder. Like Bloodborne and Evil Within I was able to order months in advance but Dark Souls 2 wasn't even listed until launch day and PCars doesn't even show up on a store search from a minute ago...

Funnily enough DS2 and pCARS share the same publisher...

Hedrush

Ahhh I see! Slightly odd practice when XB1 preload is already up, can't comment on the Steam one because I already have it as a backer! But I can imagine that could cause some problems for people with slow internet if there's a hefty day one update.

If the timer is correct then I guess the PS4 preload starts next Wednesday, 2 days before release.

Lettuce

No way!!!!

I wont a copy of Project Cars from the Xbox stream yesterday, i didnt even notice i had won until i got an email this afternoon...colour me impressed!!!!!!

Megasoum

Banned
No way!!!!

I wont a copy of Project Cars from the Xbox stream yesterday, i didnt even notice i had won until i got an email this afternoon...colour me impressed!!!!!!

Nice!

One of the winner on the stream is actually a SMS employee that entered for funsies.

He didn't take it obviously and I assume it was redrawn. Just funny... What are the odds.

Dazzyman

I've just prebougt this for Xb1 and PC. It's the reason I bought a state of the art pc just before Christmas with sli 980gtx 4ghz cpu and 32gig ram

MaLDo

Using gamersyde direct feed again. PS4 uses AFx2 (only for Dirt layer and tyre marks as SMSRenderTeam pointed out in this message http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162176494&postcount=8358 he says PS4 uses AFx4 for the tarmac)

af-2.png

af-4.png

af-8.png

af-16.png

af-ps4.png

SMSRenderTeam

Neo Member
Shadows resolution. Medium values for cars shadows and low values for track shadows.

Project CARS uses cascaded shadow maps (CSM) with the fixed sizes at the resolutions I outlined in the earlier post. Both cars and track/track side objects are rendered into the CSM resulting in a *single* cascaded map containing all world geometry - then in the light pre-pass keylight (the sun!) stage the opaque shadows are baked from this map. In such a system it is simply not possible to have different resolutions for cars and track shadows, so your statement here is just .. well ... impossible! (I'm pretty sure there are other render coders here who can verify that this is the case with CSM)

Since you are a community member at WMD you can use the -gold option and bring up the shadow maps via the f1 debug menu (deferred/sun shadow CSMs) and see for yourself the system as I describe.

It's a little disappointing that you don't post without more due diligence, since it's clear you have a talent for comparitive analysis, but it's also clear you aren't a graphics programmer... because of such a basic misunderstanding of how contemporary shadow systems work... leading you to such a basically flawed conclusion.

VodevilX

Banned
So if all goes as planned, both my copy of the game, and a G27 arrives on 8th next week.
I've stumbled upon Shift 2 a month ago, it grabbed me and I just couldn't resist the idea :D I hope i won't regret it, I'm pretty new to this hole wheel racing thingy (never was too much into racing, had some fun with other classic NFS titles), and for me that is a seriously expensive wheel... Mb I could have gone with Driving Force GT, but then again if I really find it great, then I'd have wasted money before getting the better wheel.

I hope for a nice performance with 2500k@4,5 + GTX 970, but worrying about ultra graphics? You wont see much of that shit at that speed anyways :D

ValfarHL

So if all goes as planned, both my copy of the game, and a G27 arrives on 8th next week.
I've stumbled upon Shift 2 a month ago, it grabbed me and I just couldn't resist the idea :D I hope i won't regret it, I'm pretty new to this hole wheel racing thingy (never was too much into racing, had some fun with other classic NFS titles), and for me that is a seriously expensive wheel... Mb I could have gone with Driving Force GT, but then again if I really find it great, then I'd have wasted money before getting the better wheel.

I hope for a nice performance with 2500k@4,5 + GTX 970, but worrying about ultra graphics? You wont see much of that shit at that speed anyways :D

Hah, exactly the same specs at me. Though, I'm running my 970 at 1570/7900. Ultra settings, here I come!

Mascot

Thank you SIR... ive typed for 4xAF early but to see it at 2xAF i am disappointed even the track details are on Low settings on PS4

Interesting perspective. Project CARS exceeds all of my visual expectations on PS4 (and on Xbox One, for that matter). I think it looks fantastic.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Yeah, I don't get what's disappointing about the console looks. I think they did a fantastic job with the limited hardware and I won't be looking for that kinda stuff in the middle of a race anyway. Can't think of a single racing game that looked equally good AND delivered everything else like pCARS is supposed to. Looks better on a $1.500 machine? Shocking news.
Now let's just hope the framerate is solid all the time and have some fun.

Interesting perspective. Project CARS exceeds all of my visual expectations on PS4 (and on Xbox One, for that matter). I think it looks fantastic.

Yeah the graphic whores are so tiring. Your driving at speeds in excess of 100mph your not looking to see damn shadows, trackside detail, crowd members or trees. Your focusing on breaking points and improving your lap times.

Mascot

Yeah the graphic whores are so tiring. Your driving at speeds in excess of 100mph your not looking to see damn shadows, trackside detail, crowd members or trees. Your focusing on breaking points and improving your lap times.

Totally agreed. And this needs quoting for the new page considering one of the SMS devs has kindly taken the time (and used actual first-hand facts) to debunk erroneous graphical analyses:

Project CARS uses cascaded shadow maps (CSM) with the fixed sizes at the resolutions I outlined in the earlier post. Both cars and track/track side objects are rendered into the CSM resulting in a *single* cascaded map containing all world geometry - then in the light pre-pass keylight (the sun!) stage the opaque shadows are baked from this map. In such a system it is simply not possible to have different resolutions for cars and track shadows, so your statement here is just .. well ... impossible! (I'm pretty sure there are other render coders here who can verify that this is the case with CSM)

Since you are a community member at WMD you can use the -gold option and bring up the shadow maps via the f1 debug menu (deferred/sun shadow CSMs) and see for yourself the system as I describe.

It's a little disappointing that you don't post without more due diligence, since it's clear you have a talent for comparitive analysis, but it's also clear you aren't a graphics programmer... because of such a basic misunderstanding of how contemporary shadow systems work... leading you to such a basically flawed conclusion.

Dobsie

Wow this game looks brilliant, got hyped for gt6 on ps3 and was disapointed. Trying not to get too excited for this but i can't help it now.
The track roster alone is impressive.

danowat

Banned

It does look nice, no doubt about it, but the lack of decent AF can be quite jarring once you are in motion, the blur line of 2x AF can look quite nasty in a race sim, what with the fences, barriers and track lines.

Mascot

It does look nice, no doubt about it, but the lack of decent AF can be quite jarring once you are in motion, the blur line of 2x AF can look quite nasty in a race sim, what with the fences, barriers and track lines.

I've really not noticed it in any of the 1080p/60 Gamersyde videos. But then again, I've not been actively looking for it.

People do know that concessions have had to be made due to hardware limitations, right?

It looks more then fantastic on consoles, especially with 60fps with most advanced car physics on consoles. I personally wouldn't trade the luxury of better graphics compared to how fast i can start to play it on PS4, with limited time to play (wife and kid). In about 8 sec, with suspend and resume mode, I can be in the game :).
I guess gamers forgot that it's gameplay that counts, not graphics, regardless of system one uses to play.

MaLDo

Hi Team, you're right. I'm not a graphics programmer so I like being corrected in every wrong statement. I have already stated several times that I'm comparing the version that was shown a few days ago in gamersyde. But I'm using a not final PC version too. I'm not wrote numbers in my shadow comparisson, that's a fact. Another one, for given resolution in a cascade shadow you can change the radius size for the second step of the shadow map where effective shadow resolution will be halved. It's evident PS4 shadow map resolution matchs medium PC settings because in the center of the shadow map your car shadow match those settings, but moving a few meters from the car, the shadow map effective resolution is in line with low settings. The balcony in the right has a shadow with 5 edges in pc lower shadows, 5 edges in PS4 shadows and 9 edges in pc medium shadows.

shadows-pclow.png

shadows-ps4.png

shadows-pcmedium.png

Another comparisson, PC medium shadows vs PS4

BB2.jpg

BB.jpg

CC2.jpg

CC.jpg

No problem. I'm avid to read your gameplay comments wherever you put them, because I never disregard new information. When I play racing games I find a bit distracting my opponent cars loose their shadow few meters away of my car, for example.

AA.jpg

Mascot

It looks more then fantastic on consoles, especially with 60fps with most advanced car physics on consoles. I personally wouldn't trade the luxury of better graphics compared to how fast i can start to play it on PS4, with limited time to play (wife and kid). In about 8 sec, with suspend and resume mode, I can be in the game :).
I guess gamers forgot that it's gameplay that counts, not graphics, regardless of system one uses to play.

Well, both are important components of the whole experience but I really don't understand the problem some people seem to have with how pCARS looks. I was expecting a much bigger downgrade from high-end PCs.

danowat

Banned
I've really not noticed it in any of the 1080p/60 Gamersyde videos. But then again, I've not been actively looking for it.

People do know that concessions have had to be made due to hardware limitations, right?

Of course, I don't think anyone with one of the current gen consoles is expecting anything like ultra PC settings.

That said, it is a little bit early in the gen to be seeing things like this really, 2x AF isn't really what you should be seeing on the current generation of consoles.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but it is a shame that concessions are having to be made, and things like AF and screen tearing are apparent in such a good looking game.

I can appreciate this, however, I personally would have preferred a slightly lower level of detail overall and would have traded that for the elimination of screen tearing and also more AF, as I believe they can have a positive affect on gameplay.

Kysen

Whoa, are people really disputing a dev on this game? If he says its x then as far as we are concerned that's what it is.

And I think that's me out of this thread!

See you all on the other side when everyone can actually play it and have something interesting to say. This 2x this 4x that is tiring, the gamersyde vids look fantastic to me.

kafiend

See you all on the other side when everyone can actually play it and have something interesting to say. This 2x this 4x that is tiring, the gamersyde vids look fantastic to me.

Yup, we been pretty happy, reasonable, informative and constructive in this thread for around three and a half years. Be real nice if we didn't turn it into a shitshow now.

MaLDo

I've been playing this game for more than 2 years. Can't we compare graphics between versions a few days away of the final version? People are too sensitive, sometimes. I imagine that there are interests for these comparisons remain under a carpet until weeks after launch.

danowat

Banned

We'll all enjoy the game, AF or not, but I don't think that should preclude us from discussing the technical details of the game on different systems, I think discussions of technical details are important.

I don't think anyone is being disrespectful or abusive about this, it should be possible to discuss it without people running for the hills.

I don't know why people get so sensitive and guarded about games.

I can appreciate this, however, I personally would have preferred a slightly lower level of detail overall and would have traded that for the elimination of screen tearing and also more AF, as I believe they can have a positive affect on gameplay.
We still have to see what D1P brings us, maybe more AF :). I am sure that future patches will bring us more optimized game.
I am used to screen tearing, never had powerful enough GFX to use Vsync, and maintain 60 fps :-D.
I assume that screen tearing in happening only in wet races with 30+ grid!?

ValfarHL

Huh? HUH?

You have the game??

HUH??

Jezbollah

After watching a few videos, this is a Day One PS4 purchase for me.

Reminds me of the TOCA Touring Cars days.

I hope they can license up some racing series though .The engine looks great.

We'll all enjoy the game, AF or not, but I don't think that should preclude us from discussing the technical details of the game on different systems, I think discussions of technical details are important.

I don't think anyone is being disrespectful or abusive about this, it should be possible to discuss it without people running for the hills.

I don't know why people get so sensitive and guarded about games.

It can get annoying when you go into a thread and a few people repost the same image over and over again with red lines pointing out issues that the majority won't notice or care about. I've been in threads where it just kills any discussion about the game and turns into a shit show arguing over small details that in the grand scheme don't effect the game play experience for 95% of the players.

It just welcomes drive bye it doesn't look as good as "x" game post.

Arucardo

Yup, we been pretty happy, reasonable, informative and constructive in this thread for around three and a half years. Be real nice if we didn't turn it into a shitshow now.

So strange to see a page or two of posts when I check this thread when I'm used to seeing like one post a week or something, heh.

Seeing this game/sim progress through development has been a real pleasure, so much interesting stuff to read and learn on the wmd forum too.

We even had a gaf racing league at one point (rip fastestsector) which was tons of fun. Would definitely be interested in doing something similar again.

The graphics discussion is worth having and I appreciate the effort Maldo puts in to it (hope you get some answers to the questions you presented too). As long we can avoid drive-by trolling.

MaLDo

The graphics discussion is worth having and I appreciate the effort Maldo puts in to it (hope you get some answers to the questions you presented too). As long we can avoid drive-by trolling.

Don't worry, I'm used to. There will always be people who are offended in any comparison regardless the input precision. You can never win. Devs want their money, loyal brand fans want their better graphics version for multiplatforms and their better gameplay core for their exclusives. Every fucking time the numbers don't match their preconceived situation anyone else is a troll or has an incorrect point of view.

Top Bottom