• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Lender

Hmm, can't get it started. I get the quick splash logo before the game cuts back to desktop. The game itself is still running, and when i press the icon in the task bar I hear the menu, but no screen pops up. WHen i press RMB and close it down I quickly go to the intro movie again before the game shuts down...

Apparently I only have problems when opening the Pcars64.exe file. When opening the normal Pcars.exe it starts up normal. Any reasons or solutions for this?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hate that I have this preloaded on the x1 but can't play til the 12th while others will be playing tomorrow.

Ultra, let alone with rain, will stress any system. I recommend setting envmap to mid, reflections to high and particles density to high. Lower grass to low or mid too. That should help big time ramping up your performance. If you still want more performance, then cars and shadows and track on high will probably do the trick.

The game looks really good on High. Not that far from Ultra settings, really.
Thanks... Looks like the performance of this game on consoles is not that bad... I cant get 60 on my PC on even on High. :(

GRaider81

That is awesome thanks..wanted to pre order it but wanted to see what others who have the ps4 thought of it before I did

If you enjoy racing games you wont be disappointed.

I havent "stress" tested it like DF did but firing up a 25 car race at laguna seca in the sun is so much fun.

The driving is superb.

fresquito

Apparently I only have problems when opening the Pcars64.exe file. When opening the normal Pcars.exe it starts up normal. Any reasons or solutions for this?
The regular exe already detects your OS and goes for the 64x version if needed.

Thanks... Looks like the performance of this game on consoles is not that bad... I cant get 60 on my PC on even on High. :(
If you're having problems setting up to 60fps on dry conditions, then yes, you have a problem. That should not be happening with such a system. I recommend going for DS2X for AA. Best performance with better quality ratio. I also recommend seing FXAA and SMAA off. FXAA will blur things a bit and SMAA can create strange artifacts on shadows. I'd only use SMAA when you're planing on taking pics and not playing.

If you're doing 40fps in rain conditions, that sounds about right for your system on High settings. Keep in mind that fps will go up after a couple laps, if not sooner.

Kazdane

I haven't read the thread, so maybe this has been mentioned already, but just in case. Currently AMD cards perform well below their respective Nvidia's counterparts, so if you have an AMD card, the only option for now is to dial down the settings.

I've experienced it first hand, the game was running mostly on High on my GTX 660, and in my R9 290 I have to use a mix of High, Mid and Low.

fresquito

At last I can upload this video. It's a little bit old, but I think it's worth it anyway. It's a long championship race from LFO Club's Ginetta G40 Jr. Preseason. You'll notice there're exposure problems and everything looks darker than it should. You can partialy thank me for insisting costantly to SMS to fix it (I was part of a very vocal minority) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLrB9_1So2k

MadDog91UK

Neo Member
Loving this game. However, my engine blew on the first lap of one of the kart races and i've no idea what to do. Can't skip the rest of the session. Any ideas?

shandy706

It looks nice but that lod change is really distracting/aggressive.
Is it PS4 version?

The ghosting in the thumbnail gives it away.

I love sims, I love all the options, but I'm waiting :(.

The minute I can build a career racing a late model version of this...

ibvs48XMrMWllT.png

...Vette of course...I'm in.

I'll enjoy other's impressions in the meantime and will either pick it up when/if Ferrari/Corvettes show up or it hits the $20 mark.

I'm sad neither are in the game with all those features and tracks.

benzy

I'll enjoy other's impressions in the meantime and will either pick it up when/if Ferrari/Corvettes show up or it hits the $20 mark.

I'm sad neither are in the game with all those features and tracks.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in the car list too. Waiting for more impressions and seeing console vids before I decide to pick it up or not. With Witcher 3 coming in a week I won't have time for two games anyway.

Korezo

Game is beautiful if you have a system that can run it. Tried spa in LP1 career and it looks beautiful but I only get 45 fps.

Lurch666

I dont suppose anyone knows how to activate rift with the game?

rift in extended mode.Only works in race.Set rez to rift 1920x1080 and 74hz (?) and turn shadows off (they don't work properly)
tricky to work through menus in the rift but well worth it.
Apparently there will be patches to improve rift compatibility.

Zaru

Multiple times now, cars crashed into me and I got disqualified from the race. Weird behaviour.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me here but I'd really like a rewind feature. Not necessarily even during races, but for personal practice, it's a godsend. That turn you want to get just right? Rewind until you get the sweet spot. It will likely never be added to this game but once you get used to that kind of convenience it's hard to let go.

cackhyena

Just plugged it in to test it. Seems to work well, even better than the 360 controller in terms of calibration. That's on W8.1 64-bit.

I am trying to figure out how to quit the game with a controller.

I'm on W8.1 64 bit as well. I don't know what I could be missing. I've plugged my 360 and XB1 controller in and nothing. In the menus it's fully functional, though. Get on the track and every single button is dead. Keyboard works, though.

Never mind, just a continuation of my extra brain farty day today. Jesus. Figured it out.

waters10

Neo Member
Is there any report out there of how well the fanatec wheels work on the PS4? I'd think there would be at least someone trying this! My purchase is hinging on this ...

fresquito

Multiple times now, cars crashed into me and I got disqualified from the race. Weird behaviour.
That can happen sometimes. One piece of advice I'll give to you though is this one: Treat the AI like they were human beings and you'll enjoy them so much more. Not that they will stop crashing into you, but things will probably work better in the end.

I've seen plenty of people complaining about the AI, yet drive like real dicks. You need to give room to them when room is due, never pretend they will brake just because you want them to brake. Similarly, you need to close the gaps when they want to overtake you. If you do your natural turn, they will see the gap and will probably try to overtake and crash into you unless you're fast to react.

That said, don't expect to have perfect races. Some will be great, some not so much.

SMSRenderTeam

Neo Member
rift in extended mode.Only works in race.Set rez to rift 1920x1080 and 74hz (?) and turn shadows off (they don't work properly)
tricky to work through menus in the rift but well worth it.
Apparently there will be patches to improve rift compatibility.

The game does support Rift/direct mode in a beta form. In the Steam launch options add "-vrdirectmode" to enable this, ensuring you've set Direct Mode in the Oculus configuration util before you launch the game.

You can also more generally add another launch option "-skipcrowds" to help get a consistently locked 75FPS if your PC is close.

saladine1

There's a bug with the HUD. The map placement and other info doesn't get saved when you change it.. It keeps reverting to default locations when you start next race.
Annoying.

bombshell

Thank you ! I wonder why no preorder in U.S ?

SCEA apparently has an 8 week rule to secure a pre-order slot and because of the delays and late announcement of the final release date, SMS couldn't commit to it early enough.

But it will include the pre-order and limited edition cars upon release.

Zaru

That can happen sometimes. One piece of advice I'll give to you though is this one: Treat the AI like they were human beings and you'll enjoy them so much more. Not that they will stop crashing into you, but things will probably work better in the end.

I've seen plenty of people complaining about the AI, yet drive like real dicks. You need to give room to them when room is due, never pretend they will brake just because you want them to brake. Similarly, you need to close the gaps when they want to overtake you. If you do your natural turn, they will see the gap and will probably try to overtake and crash into you unless you're fast to react.

That said, don't expect to have perfect races. Some will be great, some not so much.

Oh, those situations were not during normal racing. It was more like I was stuck in a wall or spun out and someone from the pack behind me crashed into me despite enough room to evade. It's just kinda frustrating because even with the damage model turned off you can be forced to leave a race after a bit of bad luck.

JamboGT

Really need to try and get a good force feedback setting. On PS4 with a t500rs, seems like it is only using the centre spring and not getting and feedback from kerbs or anything. Will check wheel drivers tomorrow to be sure it isn't anything in my end.

Other PS4 wheel users are you getting feedback from kerbs and the like.

Also graphically the only issue I reallyhave is the AF on the white lines and that seems to be track dependent. Frame rate has been fine for me so far but not tried any stress tests yet.

lem0n

Really need to try and get a good force feedback setting. On PS4 with a t500rs, seems like it is only using the centre spring and not getting and feedback from kerbs or anything. Will check wheel drivers tomorrow to be sure it isn't anything in my end.

Other PS4 wheel users are you getting feedback from kerbs and the like.

Also graphically the only issue I reallyhave is the AF on the white lines and that seems to be track dependent. Frame rate has been fine for me so far but not tried any stress tests yet.

If you're having the same issue I was just having, try this: go into the menu where you can adjust tire pressures etc, just before a race. Where you're sitting in your car. Tab over to FFB settings, and adjust the main value up to 100, or where ever you like it. It's defaulting at 26 for me on PC, and I was getting no feel whatsoever. Now it feels just like it should.

cackhyena

Oh man. Once I set the field of view out in the karts to where I could see the drivers feet and everything was just moved back...whole different ball game. Found my perfect perspective. Loving this.

Top Bottom