• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

ValfarHL

Stopped listening when he said Forza and GT are hardcore sims.

Lulz. There is some valid faults with PCars, but the driving itself is just gloorius.

Though, I haven't experienced too many bugs with my pc version, so all in all I'm in love with the game.

Even the gf understands how I can spend hours in the same car and track just to shave milliseconds of my time.

The "just one more lap" feeling is strong in this one.

danowat

Banned
Tell a lie, I carried on, this guy is highly regarded?, interesting, anyway.....for those who tl;dw from what I gather from the video

Pros

Force feedback
Physics
Graphics

Cons

Career mode, nothing to unlock, nothing to race for
AI, just bad and not challenging enough.

Spookie

Stopped listening when he said Forza and GT are hardcore sims.

Citation needed. I didn't hear that at all. Updated my post with all his thoughts.

Tell a lie, I carried on, this guy is highly regarded?

Yes, he's a tad condescending but he knows his sims better than most. He's also very quick and consistent so knows his stuff, think of him like a sim racing Niki Lauda if he were more of a nob.

danowat

Banned
Don't have experience with GT (he's the second person this week of his calibre to say GT can be a solid sim though) but I wouldn't agree with him on Forza, the cars feel like they have training wheels on.

Neither are hardcore sims, at least IMO, both very good games, but a fair way from a hardcore sim.

Vaga

Having put tens of hours on it already I agree with him on the carreer being nothing more than a borefest coupled with AI being bad. Yeah underneath the steaming pile of bugs and glitches there's a good not great physics model that it'll make you love driving some cars particularly racing ones and completely hate others and given the weak selection of cars this is not good. If it weren't for the tracks, sounds and online races I would've sold it the next day.

At the end of the day PCars simply did not live up to its hype. It's unfinished and outdated the moment it came out. But given the multitude of sim choices so far on the PS4 I think I'm stuck with it for a while till hopefully the next GT.

danowat

Banned
At the end of the day PCars simply did not live up to its hype. It's unfinished and outdated the moment it came out.

Clearly unfinished, and yes, the hype was intense and didn't match it (but does anything these days?), graphically, at least on consoles, it would never live up to the bullshots, most of watch are impossible to recreate angle wise because the camera can only be unlocked on the PC with dev commands.

Don't agree with the negative comments about the career though, one of the best careers I've played.

LilJoka

Clearly unfinished, and yes, the hype was intense and didn't match it (but does anything these days?), graphically, at least on consoles, it would never live up to the bullshots, most of watch are impossible to recreate angle wise because the camera can only be unlocked on the PC with dev commands.

Don't agree with the negative comments about the career though, one of the best careers I've played.

How is the career different from solo mode?

danowat

Banned
How is the career different from solo mode?

Not quite sure I understand the question, but it's a collection of championships tied together, you choose your own path, I like the zero to hero path.

Certainly a more focused career than GT or Forza's, blast to the front of the grid to earn money and buy more cars, ethos.

LilJoka

Not quite sure I understand the question, but it's a collection of championships tied together, you choose your own path, I like the zero to hero path.

Certainly a more focused career than GT or Forza's, blast to the front of the grid to earn money and buy more cars, ethos.

But you can setup the exact same races in solo mode, and since there is no progression it's just the same thing.

The reason I mention is, in Assetto Corsa it's the same but people widely state it has no career. There isn't any incentive to race the career mode in either, aside from achievements. I think the only reason to leave everything unlocked is because there is hardly the 500 cars we see in Forza/GT.

SmokyDave

All I know is that I'm in love. The game rocks my fucking socks. No idea about career mode or anything because so far I'm just letting it all sink in through free practice mode. Just driving for the love of it on tracks I care about using cars I've long idolised. It's gaming bliss for me.

I would love a few more cars to play with, as time goes by. I want some slightly older touring cars, especially Baby Bertha and some of the later Thunder Saloons. Not so bothered about more road cars or open-wheelers.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Thinking about taking the plunge on the ps4 version, but I was wondering if someone could sum up the driving physics. I know that it can be difficult to put into words, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could try. Basically, I'm expecting something along the lines of a more realistic forza/gran turismo. Does that sound right?

Oh, and any major gripes with the handling? I really don't care about everything else, but I would like a semi realistic game to, at the very least, do some time trial laps or race online. Anything else would be gravy.

I wouldn't ask if I could have tried a demo, but there isn't one and I don't think any of my friends own it. Sorry if this has been asked a billion times.

danowat

Banned
Thinking about taking the plunge on the ps4 version, but I was wondering if someone could sum up the driving physics. I know that it can be difficult to put into words, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could try. Basically, I'm expecting something along the lines of a more realistic forza/gran turismo. Does that sound right?

Oh, and any major gripes with the handling? I really don't care about everything else, but I would like a semi realistic game to, at the very least, do some time trial laps or race online. Anything else would be gravy.

I wouldn't ask if I could have tried a demo, but there isn't one and I don't think any of my friends own it. Sorry if this has been asked a billion times.

You'll probably get different answers, but, in a nutshell, a less forgiving Forza, one of the biggest mistake I think people are making is judging the tyre model based on cold tyres, as they take at least a lap to come to you, and before that it's really, really slippy.

That said, you'll need to spend some hours tweaking the controller options.

dsk1210

All I know is that I'm in love. The game rocks my fucking socks. No idea about career mode or anything because so far I'm just letting it all sink in through free practice mode. Just driving for the love of it on tracks I care about using cars I've long idolised. It's gaming bliss for me.

I would love a few more cars to play with, as time goes by. I want some slightly older touring cars, especially Baby Bertha and some of the later Thunder Saloons. Not so bothered about more road cars or open-wheelers.

Did you build a new PC Dave?

Love Project cars as well, really can't wait to get my wheel properly set up. Mostly been using controller just now and have had a blast using that, I am sure the wheel will increase my enjoyment 10 fold.

SmokyDave

Did you build a new PC Dave?

Love Project cars as well, really can't wait to get my wheel properly set up. Mostly been using controller just now and have had a blast using that, I am sure the wheel will increase my enjoyment 10 fold.
I did, yeah. It's quite tasty for a sensible budget (i7-4970k / GTX 970 / 16GB DDR4). Also upgraded from Logitech DFP to Logitech G27. Really glad I took the plunge, it's been well worth it!

I'm going to knock up a frame to hold the pedals this weekend that I drop my office chair in to. Well, that or screw my hand to an office chair. Could go either way.

Mascot

I've been playing for over a week and I think I've only used three cars (Ginetta G40, Ruf RGT-8 GT3, BMW Z4 GT3) and have driven less than a third of the tracks. It's so refreshing to feel a developing affinity with certain models rather than bouncing around between dozens of different marques.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
You'll probably get different answers, but, in a nutshell, a less forgiving Forza, one of the biggest mistake I think people are making is judging the tyre model based on cold tyres, as they take at least a lap to come to you, and before that it's really, really slippy.

That said, you'll need to spend some hours tweaking the controller options.

The bolded sounds good to me. Will buy now. Anywhere I can read up on the controller options part?

HF2014

Ok, after reading some of your recommandations on settings and tweak in pits, this game went from thrash to great! The game feel more like Gran Turismo now, amd that great! Sure id love itmto feel like Forza, but hey , for now, i can say we got a great sim racer on ps4.Thanks all who shared settings and info, you really help!

The strange thing tho is that i dont understand why the game didnt ship with proper settings. Ome day after release in NA, i saw on add site kijiji a few copies for sale, probably some people frustrated like i did. Hey i even chat with consumer support with sony for a refund ... Lol...

Question : how do I limit rotation to 540? Is it at the wheel itself? General options of the game? Calibrate wheel? Individual car setup? Couldn't find it. Any help appreciated.

I'm also on the Xbox One with the TX wheel and thoroughly enjoying the game. It handles really well on the wheel and a few minor tweaks of the FFB has made it quite good. In regards to adjusting wheel rotation, I don't think you want to change your TX rotation to anything other than 900. I noticed that individual cars are setup to actual rotation. For example, the carts, even with your wheel set to 900 degrees, will only rotate as far as a cart wheel does. The FFB is used to prevent you from turning the wheel further. I suggest you go into the car tuning menu to increase steering sensitivity (faster turn in). I forget which setting off the top of my head, but I think it is the steering ratio. Increasing this will allow you to turn more with less steering input.

xrnzaaas

Yeah, I've driven on cold tyres countless times, and I think the effect in PCars is a bit much really.

Yep, in most practice/qualifying sessions you drive the out lap like a granny (meanwhile AI cars aren't affected). Sadly if it's a short circuit a single lap is sometimes not enough for me to put heat in at least two tires.

Mascot

Yeah, I've driven on cold tyres countless times, and I think the effect in PCars is a bit much really.

Depends on the track temperature, too. Shame we can't tell what that is without buying a PC rig to play on and installing a third-party app, but it is there, modelled in full glory. Maybe the track temperature will be displayed somewhere as an upcoming 'feature'.

Still bitter.

SmokyDave

I've been playing for over a week and I think I've only used three cars (Ginetta G40, Ruf RGT-8 GT3, BMW Z4 GT3) and have driven less than a third of the tracks. It's so refreshing to feel a developing affinity with certain models rather than bouncing around between dozens of different marques.
I've been all about the V8 Atom, the Clio Cup, and the Ginetta G40 so far. Predominantly switching between Cadwell Park and the California Highway.

Can't wait to work my way up to panning the group 5 cars around the green hell. At the moment when I get in the Capri, I just pin the throttle and cling on for dear life.

Depends on the track temperature, too. Shame we can't tell what that is without buying a PC rig to play on and installing a third-party app, but it is there, modelled in full glory. Maybe the track temperature will be displayed somewhere as an upcoming 'feature'.

Still bitter.
Oooh, I forgot about the app. Might have to create myself a little dashboard whilst I'm knocking up a pedal platform this weekend!

Don't have experience with GT (he's the second person this week of his calibre to say GT can be a solid sim though) but I wouldn't agree with him on Forza, the cars feel like they have training wheels on.

Are you playing with a wheel? Because I shit you not the cars are harder to drive in Forza 5. ( I play all assist off, with simulation steering)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Had to delete my local save and it wouldn't sync my cloud save either. ��

Started over and it seems to be working again

I'll have to do the same I guess. I deleted the game and reinstalled it and the update and it seemed to work for one race and then was doing it again.

Oh well. I'm only on my first season still since I spent a lot of time in free practice and solo races. I read elsewhere that it may be triggered by returning to pit box to adjust and may be avoidable by restarting instead if you want to adjust things. I'll give that a go and if it fucks up again I'll shelve it until a patch and go back to

Edit: it seems some glitches are isolated to invitational events. So I'll just finish this one, likely in last place, and see if it fixes itself in my career after that. I bumped a thread with similar issues on the game site's PS4 technical issues forum so hopefully it will get added to the list of known issues they're keeping up over there and get patched soon.

NoWayOut

Cons

Career mode, nothing to unlock, nothing to race for
AI, just bad and not challenging enough.

For me the lack of unlocks is a Pro. I hate gated content in racing games because you are forced to race with shitty cars you hate in order to get the cars and tracks you really want.

I find the fad of gaining XP and have unlocks applied to every game genre very gimmicky and detrimental to gameplay. Kudos to SMS for not going down that path.

Icefire1424

Quick question - any tuning of cars in game? Adjusting ride height, spoilers, anything like that, or all the cars driven "as is"?

Edit: Question retracted, just checked the dev's site and yes, yes you can.

Can someone answer some noob questions for a PC owner here?

How do I know if a patch was implemented? Is there a way to manually update on Steam?

Also, I can't figure out for the life of me, how to upload a replay to YouTube. Is there a way to keep it private as well?

Thanks in advance PC bros.

ValfarHL

Quick question - any tuning of cars in game? Adjusting ride height, spoilers, anything like that, or all the cars driven "as is"?

You can adjust almost everything. Even stuff I've never heard of. Some cars even let you adjust turbo pressure and radiator opening. Full pressure, 0 opening, powerrrrrr!

Neo 007

I was an early backer..been hot-lapping this game for around 3 yrs and loving it.
I'm using a G25.
Whats the next upgrade from this wheel? I'm looking at the Fanatic Clubsport V2.

danowat

Banned
You can adjust almost everything. Even stuff I've never heard of. Some cars even let you adjust turbo pressure and radiator opening. Full pressure, 0 opening, powerrrrrr!

To slightly correct that, you can't adjust everything, in every car, some cars setups are locked, as they would be in real life, take the Caterham Classic, you can only change a few settings on that as most things are locked.

ValfarHL

To slightly correct that, you can't adjust everything, in every car, some cars setups are locked, as they would be in real life, take the Caterham Classic, you can only change a few settings on that as most things are locked.

Yes, sorry. I've been driving mostly GT cars. Won't happen again. :(

Top Bottom