• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Sickbean

Had a bit of a revelation with the Clio's today. Found that if I really chuck them towards the apex aggressively the natural under steer sorts the car out on the exit. Much faster than going in smooth.

This might be common knowledge for front engined FWD but it was new to me.

Had a bit of a revelation with the Clio's today. Found that if I really chuck them towards the apex aggressively the natural under steer sorts the car out on the exit. Much faster than going in smooth.

I don't really agree - I think FWD benefits from being smooth just as much as RWD. The front drive means you can more easily recover from losing the rear, so it is tempting to start throwing the car into corners with more and more aggression, but that doesn't mean you'll be faster than the guy being smooth.

Of course if you can't seem to find speed by being smooth and you're doing much better chucking it in, then don't let me put you off - do whatever works for you! :)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
fyi GT5 and GT4 are both very enjoyable so if it was up to me I wouldn't skip them :)

I have started skipping some Cups but only because I want to get on with my actual career. In the beginning I was doing everything that was thrown at me but then I was getting a taste for these faster cars then having to go back to the Karts for that season. I've noticed the races are substantially longer this time around. My first Round had Practice 1 & 2, then Qualifying 1 & 2 followed by a 12 lapper and then a 19 lap race at Laguna Seca, my most hated track too I might add. Not because I am crap at it but because I find it very boring.

Also, this McLaren car in the GT3 is very easy to drive wirth all the assists off, very weird. I don't have to feather the throttle as much exiting the corners. Yes, all my assists are set to off.

Sickbean

I don't really agree - I think FWD benefits from being smooth just as much as RWD. The front drive means you can more easily recover from losing the rear, so it is tempting to start throwing the car into corners with more and more aggression, but that doesn't mean you'll be faster than the guy being smooth.

Of course if you can't seem to find speed by being smooth and you're doing much better chucking it in, then don't let me put you off - do whatever works for you! :)

This could just be down to a difference in what constitutes 'aggressive'.

Smooth for me just seemed to result in either being too slow, or understeering mid-corner.

Mascot

To all those with Logitech wheels and PS4s, wondering about support in pCARS, Ian Bell (Head of Studio at SMS) posted this on the forums last night:

Be calm and wait for some good news here.

(I'd post a link but nope. They fail).

Make of that what you will, but there have been rumours about ongoing negotiations between Logitech and SMS for several weeks now...

Sickbean

To all those with Logitech wheels and PS4s, wondering about support in pCARS, Ian Bell (Head of Studio at SMS) posted this on the forums last night:

Make of that what you will, but there have been rumours about ongoing negotiations between Logitech and SMS for several weeks now...

Is the G27 as good a wheel as a 300RS?

danowat

Banned

got a G25 up in the loft............

xrnzaaas

I have started skipping some Cups but only because I want to get on with my actual career. In the beginning I was doing everything that was thrown at me but then I was getting a taste for these faster cars then having to go back to the Karts for that season. I've noticed the races are substantially longer this time around. My first Round had Practice 1 & 2, then Qualifying 1 & 2 followed by a 12 lapper and then a 19 lap race at Laguna Seca, my most hated track too I might add. Not because I am crap at it but because I find it very boring.

Also, this McLaren car in the GT3 is very easy to drive wirth all the assists off, very weird. I don't have to feather the throttle as much exiting the corners. Yes, all my assists are set to off.

GT5 and 4 are actually parts of the "main" career, not additional events offered every year. I skip plenty of those like the karts invitationals or the UK classics (both the Merc and Ford handle BAD).

Mascot

got a G25 up in the loft............

G25? You need the new G29...

http://www.playseatstore.com/logitech-g29.html

I'm guessing the thousand Euro price tag is a placeholder... :p

logitech-g29-racing-wheel.jpg

Logitech G29 racing wheel

The rumored new Logitech G racing wheel for all the true fans of racing: Logitech G29!

Experience racing games the way they were meant to be with the newest Logitech racing wheel. Revel in the white-knuckle, hair-raising turns as you feel the tires lose traction and gleefully fly over every bump in the road. Custom dual-motor force feedback accurately simulates realistic racing action that will leave you breathless well past the checkered flag. Thanks to smooth and quiet helical gears – similar to ones used in car transmissions – you can enjoy the power of force feedback without the road noise.

Most important features Logitech G29:
Compatible with PC, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4
Powerful force feedback
Easy accessible D-pad and buttons on the wheel

More features
Logitech G29 24 postion real time adjustment dialLet your instincts guide you through the six-speed steel paddle shifters, finding just the right gears for hairpin turns or pedal to the metal straightaways. Winning comes down to fractions of a second, and knowing when to shift gears is critical for maintaining maximum speed. But since you also need to keep your eyes on the road, the indicator panel is designed to be easy to read at a glance.

Solid materials
Super realistic feelTake a grip and enjoy the sensation and comfort of a real leather racing wheel gliding beneath your hands as you speed around the track. Don’t worry about the stress placed on the wheel; it’s designed to take it. From solid steel ball bearings in the wheel shaft to quality construction throughout, G29 will provide superb performance and long-term reliability for every race.

The Logitech G29 racing wheel will probably be compatible with PC, PS3 and PS4. For the ultimate racing experience, you should combine the Logitech G29 with a Playseat® racing simulator! Enjoy!

Mascot

....I should have seen this coming really.

As long as they don't kneecap support for the G27, I'm not too bitter. The '29 looks like a cross between the DFGT and the G25.

Don't sweat it, Dave. Your G27 is a fine, fine wheel.

Apart from the sloppy-ass shifter, which sucks greasy goat balls.

dwells

So I've been considering picking this game up for Xbox One. I understand that it's excellent in terms of being a very good simulation. However, I'm going to be playing with a controller and plan on playing fairly casually in that it'll be something that I just pick up and do a few races here and there. I used to play Forza 4 the same way (assists off) and it was good for doing that thanks to having a decent single player, lots of customization, nicely polished overall, etc. I know Forza 4 doesn't have the most realistic physics out there, but with all the assists off it was a good compromise for me.

Can I expect the same thing out of Project CARS, or is it really only worthwhile for the more hardcore people with a proper wheel setup who are concerned with the physics model above all else?

danowat

Banned
So I've been considering picking this game up for Xbox One. I understand that it's excellent in terms of being a very good simulation. However, I'm going to be playing with a controller and plan on playing fairly casually in that it'll be something that I just pick up and do a few races here and there. I used to play Forza 4 the same way (assists off) and it was good for doing that thanks to having a decent single player, lots of customization, nicely polished overall, etc. I know Forza 4 doesn't have the most realistic physics out there, but with all the assists off it was a good compromise for me.

Can I expect the same thing out of Project CARS, or is it really only worthwhile for the more hardcore people with a proper wheel setup who are concerned with the physics model above all else?

Tough question I reckon.

If you aren't too worried about spending hours tweaking your settings, and the possibility of changing those settings to suit different cars, then fill ya boots and go for it.

When it works good, it's sublime, but there is a lot of frustration in getting it good in the first place.

dwells

Tough question I reckon.

If you aren't too worried about spending hours tweaking your settings, and the possibility of changing those settings to suit different cars, then fill ya boots and go for it.

When it works good, it's sublime, but there is a lot of frustration in getting it good in the first place.
Hmm, thanks for the honest feedback. Might be a bit more than I feel like dealing with at the moment. Perhaps I'll wait until when (if) I ever get around to actually building a racing cockpit out of all the PVC and the BMW E30 seat I've had sitting around for literally half a decade now...

Patrick S.

Banned
I got to play this for a bit, and tried the Stock Car at Oschersleben.

X360 controller on PC, couldn't get better times than ~1:47.

I'm timid in corners because I can't catch the oversteer in time without having a steering wheel, and I'm really shitty at recovering from the oversteer with the controller because I tend to overcorrect. But man, I can't be the only one who's having that problem, right?

I've played around a bit with the controller settings, but they don't seem to change a lot for me either way.

danowat

Banned
Hmm, thanks for the honest feedback. Might be a bit more than I feel like dealing with at the moment. Perhaps I'll wait until when (if) I ever get around to actually building a racing cockpit out of all the PVC and the BMW E30 seat I've had sitting around for literally half a decade now...

I hate to put anyone off, it's the best racing game on console at the moment, so it does deserve to be played, but it's not without it's problems.

Try and get a play on a demo machine in a shop or a friends machine if you can.

Any recommendations on Race Wheels pCARS GAF? I've been looking into getting a T300 for my PS4 for a while now, but am not sure whether my money would be better spent on just getting something a lot cheaper?

I've been enjoying the game with a controller thus far, but just crave something a touch more "real".

It is certainly pricey though, as I may also look at adding a manual gear box to further spice up the experience. Something such as this. Which also means adding new pedals too...

If anyone could give some advice that would be great.

I should probably add, I'm not usually taken by Sim racers, but having spent a lot of time with Forza and DRIVECLUB, I've been eyeing more simulation type experiences. pCARS seems to fit the bill perfectly for me as I have been having a blast so far!

SmokyDave

Don't sweat it, Dave. Your G27 is a fine, fine wheel.

Apart from the sloppy-ass shifter, which sucks greasy goat balls.
I like the sloppy-ass shifter!

....kinda. Must admit a much stronger spring would be a big improvement.

That G29 thing is a fake, sorry. Just the DFGT wheel with some different pedals.
They're G25 / G27 pedals. Can't believe I didn't notice the wheel was a DFGT, the centre spoke looked different on my monitor (I was seeing it as negative space).

Sickbean

I got to play this for a bit, and tried the Stock Car at Oschersleben.

X360 controller on PC, couldn't get better times than ~1:47.

I'm timid in corners because I can't catch the oversteer in time without having a steering wheel, and I'm really shitty at recovering from the oversteer with the controller because I tend to overcorrect. But man, I can't be the only one who's having that problem, right?

I've played around a bit with the controller settings, but they don't seem to change a lot for me either way.

I have exactly the same problem :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There is no way I am buying another wheel. I spent top dollar on my G27 in 2010 and part of the reason I bought a PS4 was because of Sony's support for Logitech over the last few consoles. I was really surprised when they change songs and started going on about Thrustmaster. In the past I affiliated Thrustmaster with shit build quality.

Hearing there is a possibility that SMS and Logitech could come to some sort of agreement is music to my ears.

Smooth for me just seemed to result in either being too slow, or understeering mid-corner.

I don't really agree - I think FWD benefits from being smooth just as much as RWD.

I'm not too good of a driver/racing-sim-player so I often end up doing the "unsmooth" thing. But what really helped me understand the importance of being smooth is the "Guest in a reasonable priced car" Top Gear challenge in Forza Motorsport 5. It's basically "drive the Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Techline around the top gear test track (line start)". The thing has FWD and - for a racing game - is very underpowered(115HP) for its modern suspension and tires. In that car, laps in which you followed the ideal line pretty much perfectly and handled the car without the slightest problems, can be worlds apart looking at the lap times. Only if you feel the traction and torque vectors on your car flowing from one direction into the other, you're really fast and it'll show in the lap time.

I really think you feel it best in underpowered cars.
In 80's Group B rallying the drivers had the power to gloss over unsmooth driving. When Group B was banned, going on instinct and reacting within milliseconds was not the major factor that made a good driver and smoothness in driving (minimizing the waste of power and momentum) became more important again.

Edit:
I'm timid in corners because I can't catch the oversteer in time without having a steering wheel
None of the people with good times "caught" the car, they are more careful on the throttle and rarely use a power-oversteer technique on that track. Be smooth (throttle and steering), keep momentum by maximizing the corner radius. Btw., the best time was from someone using a controller.

Yep.

Everything in moderation, of course, but weight distribution matters.

Dave_6

I ran a 1:32.xxx last night in the Time Trial challenge. I kept learning the hard way that I can't over drive that car but I kept doing it anyways. I really don't see how I could ever get under a 1:30 though.

Didn't get a pic or vid but my name is on the leader boards (DaveS78).

RP912

Banned
AMD drivers coming today...

AMD has announced to release a new version of their Catalyst graphics card driver that will address performance issues with Slightly Mad Studios’ Project CARS title.

While nVidia users have been able to enjoy Project CARS from the start, AMD owners suffered from lower graphics performance due to driver-related issues. These problems are expected to be fixed by the new driver release that is scheduled for tomorrow.

In related news, Project CARS keeps on its strong showing on the sales floor as the WMD-powered simulator has topped the UK sales charts for the second week in a row, becoming the first Bandai Namco Games-distributed title to do so in 16 years!

Project CARS is now available on Steam, boxed copies are available here.

http://www.virtualr.net/project-cars-new-amd-driver-coming-tomorrow

On another note...I'm finally getting the hang of the road cars. Before I couldn't even turn without doing doughnuts, now I'm managing to get around corners without problems.

Sickbean

I'm not too good of a driver/racing-sim-player so I often end up doing the "unsmooth" thing. But what really helped me understand the importance of being smooth is the "Guest in a reasonable priced car" Top Gear challenge in Forza Motorsport 5. It's basically "drive the Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Techline around the top gear test track (line start)". The thing has FWD and - for a racing game - is very underpowered(115HP) for its modern suspension and tires. In that car, laps in which you followed the ideal line pretty much perfectly and handled the car without the slightest problems, can be worlds apart looking at the lap times. Only if you feel the traction and torque vectors on your car flowing from one direction into the other, you're really fast and it'll show in the lap time.

I really think you feel it best in underpowered cars.
In 80's Group B rallying the drivers had the power to gloss over unsmooth driving. When Group B was banned, going on instinct and reacting within milliseconds was not the major factor that made a good driver and smoothness in driving (minimizing the waste of power and momentum) became more important again.

Edit:

None of the people with good times "caught" the car, they are more careful on the throttle and rarely use a power-oversteer technique on that track. Be smooth (throttle and steering), keep momentum by maximizing the corner radius. Btw., the best time was from someone using a controller.

Awesome, never knew Forza had Star in a Reasonably priced car. Like you say, it's crazy how slow the fastest laps look, because there's no drama.

addyb

Make sure it's in properly, you shouldn't here any clicking.

Yeah it's definitely in right. I've checked and even redone it. I've solved the problem anyway. I've just placed a tiny bit of card at the back that's been tucked down out of site. It's totally silent now.

This game just got more awesome with a proper resistance brake.

Chabbles

Finally got stuck into the career mode after putting it off due to the complaints about lack of progression, no unlocks, no winning cash/xp, same car for entire season, etc.. (+ finally got the controls on DS4 into the "just right" place). But i cant believe how addictive it is without any of that other stuff, its really no worse off without it. just distractions from the driving anyway. Going from struggling with a car to learning it inside out throughout a season is just as rewarding. Fuck them karts thou, need a wheel for that twitchiness.

Metfanant

Finally got stuck into the career mode after putting it off due to the complaints about lack of progression, no unlocks, no winning cash/xp, same car for entire season, etc.. (+ finally got the controls on DS4 into the "just right" place). But i cant believe how addictive it is without any of that other stuff, its really no worse off without it. just distractions from the driving anyway. Going from struggling with a car to learning it inside out throughout a season is just as rewarding. Fuck them karts thou, need a wheel for that twitchiness.

well its a proper career mode...unlike what GT and Forza offer...the XP/unlock system doesnt really matter since youre a member of a team...

at the risk of some rambling here...in pCARS2, i would love to see some added things though...

- "Manager" mode: would be a cool addition...this is where you could start to bring money into the equation...earn money through races, sign on with sponsors, hire/fire drivers/engineers/crews/etc...sign deals with manufacturers to buy their cars to use...pick and choose which series you want to compete in (multiple series? invitational events, etc...)...number of cars on your team, etc...work your way up...stay as a "big time" privateer, or maybe get hired to run a factory team (or maybe chosen by a manufacturer to BE their factory team)...obviously, like in a manager mode from FIFA or Madden, you could control the actual racing, or simulate the racing and focus solely on your duties as a boss...

you could leave the option open to include a "create a driver" feature, making it kind of a dual mode so you could hire your created drivers and rise through the ranks together......or even a driver/owner option like the player/coach option in FIFA

obviously this would require some sort of "money" system...and XP could be used for things, but i think handling that in the background is better...

- "Be a Pro/Road to the Show" mode: similar to the current setup...create your driver, sign contracts, move around how you wish...money/XP is much less important here as if you win you'll get contract offers and you choose where you want to race...

Patrick S.

Banned
Be smooth (throttle and steering), keep momentum by maximizing the corner radius.

I know, and in theory it sounds easy. I've owned and driven fast cars with RWD, FWD, 4x4, and MR configuration. The only car of those I once nearly crashed in a turn was the MR2, because that beast had zero error tolerance and I wasn't used to it. Other than that, I think I'm a good driver, and should be able to apply that to racing games, but I don't know why, I just can't make a good lap times with that stupid Stock Car. I'm down to 1:44 now, will give it a few more laps after this post.

Fox Mulder

well its a proper career mode...unlike what GT and Forza offer...the XP/unlock system doesnt really matter since youre a member of a team...

at the risk of some rambling here...in pCARS2, i would love to see some added things though...

- "Manager" mode: would be a cool addition...this is where you could start to bring money into the equation...earn money through races, sign on with sponsors, hire/fire drivers/engineers/crews/etc...sign deals with manufacturers to buy their cars to use...pick and choose which series you want to compete in (multiple series? invitational events, etc...)...number of cars on your team, etc...work your way up...stay as a "big time" privateer, or maybe get hired to run a factory team (or maybe chosen by a manufacturer to BE their factory team)...obviously, like in a manager mode from FIFA or Madden, you could control the actual racing, or simulate the racing and focus solely on your duties as a boss...

you could leave the option open to include a "create a driver" feature, making it kind of a dual mode so you could hire your created drivers and rise through the ranks together......or even a driver/owner option like the player/coach option in FIFA

obviously this would require some sort of "money" system...and XP could be used for things, but i think handling that in the background is better...

- "Be a Pro/Road to the Show" mode: similar to the current setup...create your driver, sign contracts, move around how you wish...money/XP is much less important here as if you win you'll get contract offers and you choose where you want to race...

So the Grid career.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
I'm thinking about picking this up tonight, when I get off. No wheel, here. just the stick. Also one of my best buds picked it up, so I'll be trying to get into lots of online racing with him. I have played Shift 2, a lot, when it was free on ps+, and really enjoyed it. Also this was in my top 10 in Gaf's most anticipated of 2015 thread.

I know it sounds like I've convinced myself already, but my friend also gave some impressions, and seemed... not enthusiastic. So, worth it?

Is that really a problem?
So the Grid career.
I think it's also a question of "style".

Is it...
  • a no-bullshit sim-uh-lah-tohr career (Euro Truck Simulator says Hi... lots of drop-down menus, that help you managing your own racing team),
  • a "yo, bro, u a racah now! Party it with some Doughnuts, then get famous or die trying"-career (greetings from GRID Autosport, but also from DiRT 3's Gymkhana),
  • or is it a "tell your own story"-career (à la 2K15 MyCareer, also documenting your changing lifestyle and having moral decisions, friends and rivals to make, interviews to give etc.)?
The first is the only one that even the most hardcore sim-racing guys would welcome as an option, the second is pretty much the worst-case-scenario in terms of style and the third could be fantastic but it could also be complete shit.

A 70% sim and 30% career-story would be a wise decision in my opinion.

Edit:
I have played Shift 2, a lot, when it was free on ps+, and really enjoyed it.

I know it sounds like I've convinced myself already, but my friend also gave some impressions, and seemed... not enthusiastic. So, worth it?

Maybe tell us what parts of Shift 2 you liked the most, what cars you like and what you think of games like Forza or Gran Turismo (or even sim'ier stuff, if you have experience with that) in comparison with Shift 2? I don't want an elaborate essay, just some more intel.

I had some reservations with this game after seeing the car list a week or two ago and decided to hold off despite loving a good racing game.

A couple of mates bought it and seemed reasonably happy with it, but acknowledged that it was lacking in some areas. So on the weekend a friend brings the game around, adjusts the handling settings for controllers and we play for a couple of hours.

The game is great in terms of car porn, and I have not even scratched the surface when it comes to the tracks, handling and cars - however one thing that I did notice is that the sense of speed is very poor - Has anyone else noticed that?

I drove along a few tracks in the BMW Z4 (sounds incredible) at 100 and 200kmh and it felt very slow. I switched back to Driveclub as a comparison and was Amazed at how much quicker it felt - though the framerate was difficult to adjust to.

I'm keeping an eye on the price of the game, as I think I'll enjoy it but don't want to go full price on it.

Fox Mulder

It doesn't. I think you're confusing the practice session with qualifying. So long as you cross the start/finish line with the clock still running you can complete your current lap.

It was qualifying, if you've already got pole it'll cut off when time ends. I didn't notice it before.

Metfanant

Is it...
  • a no-bullshit sim-uh-lah-tohr career (Euro Truck Simulator says Hi... lots of drop-down menus, that help you managing your own racing team),
  • a "yo, bro, u a racah now! Party it with some Doughnuts, then get famous or die trying"-career (greetings from GRID Autosport, but also from DiRT 3's Gymkhana),
  • or is it a "tell your own story"-career (à la 2K15 MyCareer, also documenting your changing lifestyle and having moral decisions, friends and rivals to make, interviews to give etc.)?
The first is the only one that even the most hardcore sim-racing guys would welcome as an option, the second is pretty much the worst-case-scenario in terms of style and the third could be fantastic but it could also be complete shit.

I think 1 and 3 could co-exist as separate modes if they put the time into the game...

Option #1 with just a tiny bit of "story" (like your 70/30 split, maybe even less story) would be the game I personally would want...but just like NBA2k or MLB..the myplayer/RTTS (story), and franchise (simulator) modes are both present...and very fleshed out...

Personally if I had to choose one from your options I'd take #1 all day every day...

The_D

Neo Member
I gave the stock car time trial a shot. I'm not happy with the car setup, but I'm not gonna mess with it anymore. Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential (not sure what assists are used, if any, with this car)

(Gamer Tag is Manic DBB)

I gave it another go. The 1:29's were too close for me to not go for it. XB1/Wheel/Clutch/No Assists/at least 2 cones killed

PFYMvAoV.jpg

Fox Mulder

Is it...

The first Grid had a straight forward career without 'tude or other annoying shit. You signed with a team as a driver to earn money and could stop there. You could also establish a team and earn sponsorships based on performance. This allows you to buy more cars for more events and afford better drivers.

It's a simple layer of depth in a mode that would increase immersion in what's already a solid racing game.

I had some reservations with this game after seeing the car list a week or two ago and decided to hold off despite loving a good racing game.

A couple of mates bought it and seemed reasonably happy with it, but acknowledged that it was lacking in some areas. So on the weekend a friend brings the game around, adjusts the handling settings for controllers and we play for a couple of hours.

The game is great in terms of car porn, and I have not even scratched the surface when it comes to the tracks, handling and cars - however one thing that I did notice is that the sense of speed is very poor - Has anyone else noticed that?

I drove along a few tracks in the BMW Z4 (sounds incredible) at 100 and 200kmh and it felt very slow. I switched back to Driveclub as a comparison and was Amazed at how much quicker it felt - though the framerate was difficult to adjust to.

I'm keeping an eye on the price of the game, as I think I'll enjoy it but don't want to go full price on it.

I also had reservations with the car roster, but preordered to get 8 extra cars. The car list really isnt an issue for me since I'm doing career. You climb the leagues and have a bunch of invitational events to do as well taking place in a variety of other cars. Havent even seen half the roster or tracks yet.

Top Bottom