• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Lego Boss

This game is weird. I race the 320 Turbos at Oscerleben and I can't get above 14/16 on the grid, then at Barcelona I'm topping the time sheets.

I'm racing on 70% AI and real assists with a pad (auto gearing). I know I'm decent at Barcelona, but these bad boys are so tail-happy, that Iwouldn't expect such a huge improvement (although tyres are clearly more of an issue here than say on the RUF or the Clio).

Mascot

Can't wait for the patch. I've sadly shelved the game due to the Fanatec issues on PS4 and I'm itching to get racing again.

I vowed to do the same (but have slipped).

The thing is, pCARS is still fucking incredible with my GT2 despite the Fanatec issues. I can't begin to imagine how much better it'll be once the new patch lands.

danowat

Banned
This game is weird. I race the 320 Turbos at Oscerleben and I can't get above 14/16 on the grid, then at Barcelona I'm topping the time sheets.

I'm racing on 70% AI and real assists with a pad (auto gearing). I know I'm decent at Barcelona, but these bad boys are so tail-happy, that Iwouldn't expect such a huge improvement (although tyres are clearly more of an issue here than say on the RUF or the Clio).

There are certainly combinations that AI aren't very balanced for, but in general, I've found it fairly balanced overal.

I vowed to do the same (but have slipped).

The thing is, pCARS is still fucking incredible with my GT2 despite the Fanatec issues. I can't begin to imagine how much better it'll be once the new patch lands.

I would've done the same if it wasn't for Witcher 3 and Splatoon. The deadzone issue has too much of an impact with the faster class of cars.

xrnzaaas

Yeah, the AI is unbalanced. The thing that annoys me the most is that additional events in the career mode are much harder than the main series (the ones you choose by singing contracts) almost every time. So I have to remember about changing the difficulty to avoid AI spikes.

Icefire1424

Yeah, the AI is unbalanced. The thing that annoys me the most is that additional events in the career mode are much harder than the main series (the ones you choose by singing contracts) almost every time. So I have to remember about changing the difficulty to avoid AI spikes.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...well, that makes significantly more sense. And here I am thinking I just sucked out loud.

danowat

Banned

I did the 3hr (at 74% distance it was just over 2hrs) Mclaren F1 invitational, on 90% AI, that was a challenge, especially when it got dark, trying to keep 100% concentration in a car like that for the entirely of the race is a tall order, lost it on a chicane and smashed into the wall and damaged the car, it was hard enough to keep in a straight line before the damage, but after it, not a chance, so a pitstop was required.

Spent the rest of the race clawing places back, and to my surprise managed to get back up to 10th (out of 20), to be honest, I was happy with the result!!!

xrnzaaas

I did the 3hr (at 74% distance it was just over 2hrs) Mclaren F1 invitational, on 90% AI, that was a challenge, especially when it got dark, trying to keep 100% concentration in a car like that for the entirely of the race is a tall order, lost it on a chicane and smashed into the wall and damaged the car, it was hard enough to keep in a straight line before the damage, but after it, not a chance, so a pitstop was required.

Spent the rest of the race clawing places back, and to my surprise managed to get back up to 10th (out of 20), to be honest, I was happy with the result!!!

Nice. :) I always suck at endurance events, because the nerves get to me and I make some dumb mistake. I remember failing a lot of endurance races in Forza 2 a lap or two before the finish line (they were usually 1-1,5h long).

kie25

Anyone got any idea when the ps4 patch is due out? I've read they have changed the wheel settings in this patch which I'm not really happy about, I thought the old T500rs settings felt perfect standard with no changes, I hope it doesn't reset to the new settings I may screen shot all the settings I have now so that I can put them all bk to how they were.

danowat

Banned
Nice. :) I always suck at endurance events, because the nerves get to me and I make some dumb mistake. I remember failing a lot of endurance races in Forza 2 a lap or two before the finish line (they were usually 1-1,5h long).

Yeah, normally I'd back off a little bit and drive at about 95% to try and avoid errors in long events, but the AI were pretty hot and lapping around 1:39 - 1:40, which is a fairly hot pace for me around Zolder, so was having to push on!, even after that many laps, I still can't regularly hit the correct apex on T2!

Not convinced that tyre wear is a thing in this game, the AI certainly didn't slow due to wear, and I didn't notice any drop off in grip (which you really should after 2 hours)

Mascot

And so you should be..!

I'm not at all bothered where I place in pCARS as long as the race has been thrilling and I've driven reasonably well (and clean). It's weird, because in all other racing games and sims that I've played, getting a podium was vitally important and I felt that I'd failed if I didn't achieve it. I think in pCARS the overall experience seems so much more... authentic than a lot of other games, so I come away with a more philosophical approach to the result. The absence of having to grind wins for XP/credits to progress obviously helps, but in a field of 25 cars, placing in the top ten on long races is still an achievement.

And anyway, if you're qualifying on pole and winning every race, where the hell is the satisfaction or sense of achievement in that? All it means is the AI is too easy for you.

danowat

Banned
And so you should be..!

I'm not at all bothered where I place in pCARS as long as the race has been thrilling and I've driven reasonably well (and clean). It's weird, because in all other racing games and sims that I've played, getting a podium was vitally important and I felt that I'd failed if I didn't achieve it. I think in pCARS the overall experience seems so much more... authentic than a lot of other games, so I come away with a more philosophical approach to the result. The absence of having to grind wins for XP/credits to progress obviously helps, but in a field of 25 cars, placing in the top ten on long races is still an achievement.

And anyway, if you're qualifying on pole and winning every race, where the hell is the satisfaction or sense of achievement in that? All it means is the AI is too easy for you.

Exactly, it's the biggest difference between PCars and the rest of the racing games on console.

In other games, winning is the ultimate goal to facilitate the progress path of money or XP (yes, winning is also the goal in other games!), so the main aim was, get to the front of the pack as soon as possible and stay there, as such, the racing aspect is sorely missing.

As there is no money to win, and no XP to earn in PCars, so the focus can be on the racing, sure, I still try and win, but the journey is more interesting than the destination.

Mascot

Exactly, it's the biggest difference between PCars and the rest of the racing games on console.

In other games, winning is the ultimate goal to facilitate the progress path of money or XP (yes, winning is also the goal in other games!), so the main aim was, get to the front of the pack as soon as possible and stay there, as such, the racing aspect is sorely missing.

As there is no money to win, and no XP to earn in PCars, so the focus can be on the racing, sure, I still try and win, but the journey is more interesting than the destination.

My most fun recently has definitely been starting at the back of 25-car grids in the GT3 class on tracks like Imola, Spa, Road America and Silverstone, and trying to fight my way through the pack over 15-odd laps. Throw in a dawn-day-dusk cycle and mix up the weather and it's pretty much racing nirvana.

Seanspeed

Banned

I did the same one(at Zolder, right?), but reduced the time down to 30 minutes(shortest option). Was definitely tough even then, as it's not an easy car to drive, particularly when the tires start to fall away.

Was a lot of fun, though.

_machine

Anyone got any idea when the ps4 patch is due out? I've read they have changed the wheel settings in this patch which I'm not really happy about, I thought the old T500rs settings felt perfect standard with no changes, I hope it doesn't reset to the new settings I may screen shot all the settings I have now so that I can put them all bk to how they were.
Certification is usually quite unpredictable, but I'd go with CD Projekt's prediction of W3 patch; anytime this week or the next week. I don't know when it went to cert, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes Sony or MS until next week.

VVV Mars VG

My most fun recently has definitely been starting at the back of 25-car grids in the GT3 class on tracks like Imola, Spa, Road America and Silverstone, and trying to fight my way through the pack over 15-odd laps. Throw in a dawn-day-dusk cycle and mix up the weather and it's pretty much racing nirvana.

That is exactly the experience I had on a session a while ago, just enjoyed the racing. It was tense, unpredictable and ultimately rewarding despite not winning.

My Alpine/Sonoma lap

1:06.226 - TylerDurden4321 (pic) //XB1, wheel, all assists on, custom setup

And also the distribution of lap times from the last challenges:
RUF%2BRGT-8%2BGT3%2Bat%2BOulton%2BPark%2BNational.png
Caper%2BStock%2BCar%2Bat%2BOschersleben%2BGP.png

Mascot

That is exactly the experience I had on a session a while ago, just enjoyed the racing. It was tense, unpredictable and ultimately rewarding despite not winning.

Yeah, it's a brilliant side-effect of the XP-free game structure.

Not winning is an experience shared by all but one person in every race, ever. It's good that pCARS gives us the freedom to enjoy that experience..!

Speech

My time = 01:04:009 - PC/G27/No Assists(except auto clutch)/Default Setup

Been gradually getting my time down.

There is definitely another 2-3 tenths to find, just gotta get that 1st sector right.

gIMoNmX.jpg

kie25

Sonoma Alpine A450 Challenge 1.03.757

http://youtu.be/bszytO2wmAQ

No assist gears and downforce changed

Still 300-500 to come of as no real setup changes and few mistakes, will try again at end week if I get time, lots of set up work to be done for GT3 league kicking off soon :)

Watching the times set there's a clear trend for the Wheel users it would seem like! I did a 1:09 on the bone with a controller... Still waiting for delivery on my TX :(

brentech

Just hit a 1:05:3xx
Didn't think to record because I was flowing and didn't want to stop

Going to try a few more times, will update with official time.

edit:

E2VHrT1.png

I cut just over 4 tenths off my time. I know I could cut more, just couldn't put it all together.

That's one hell of a list of patch notes. I see a few of the most egregious bugs are getting fixed (AI in rain, AI tyres). There are still just so, so many bugs and absurd oversights that need to be addressed. Not necessarily game-busting but silly stuff like crashing into the walls of the garage on certain tracks with some cars. AI not impacted by cold tyres/brakes. AI not losing traction when off the course and miraculous recovery abilities. BLUE FLAGS, BOO! Still, these are probably enough changes to where I can do Formula B and A in career on a fairly level playing field, so I'll look forward to that.

Really, really want to do the 24 (and 25) hour events with all sim stuff like tyre wear and damage on but it's just not possible with how broken things are and it looks like it'll still be quite some time until it's possible.

Sort of new to this, I'm finding the career mode stuff a bit overwhelming. Where to start? Does it matter? Don't really care for the kart stuff that much.

I tried starting a few random careers but it didn't feel right. Maybe I have the AI difficulty too high as a beginner in this game.

danowat

Banned
Sort of new to this, I'm finding the career mode stuff a bit overwhelming. Where to start? Does it matter? Don't really care for the kart stuff that much.

I tried starting a few random careers but it didn't feel right. Maybe I have the AI difficulty too high as a beginner in this game.

There is no right or wrong to play it, start where you want, finish were you want.

There are some career goals though should you still want some progression (i.e. zero to hero, defending champ etc).

fresquito

Yeah, normally I'd back off a little bit and drive at about 95% to try and avoid errors in long events, but the AI were pretty hot and lapping around 1:39 - 1:40, which is a fairly hot pace for me around Zolder, so was having to push on!, even after that many laps, I still can't regularly hit the correct apex on T2!

Not convinced that tyre wear is a thing in this game, the AI certainly didn't slow due to wear, and I didn't notice any drop off in grip (which you really should after 2 hours)
The McLaren F1 is a street car. If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't be feeling any tyre wear after two hours of racing. For reference, a GT3 stint can last as long as an hour.

That said, AI doesn't suffer from tyre wear at the moment (it's suppossed to be fixed in the upcoming patch), and tyres are in general more durable than they should. Hope they tweak them.

danowat

Banned
The McLaren F1 is a street car. If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't be feeling any tyre wear after two hours of racing. For reference, a GT3 stint can last as long as an hour.

That said, AI doesn't suffer from tyre wear at the moment (it's suppossed to be fixed in the upcoming patch), and tyres are in general more durable than they should. Hope they tweak them.

Really?, after 2 hours of ripping an F1 around Zolder shouldn't see any wear?, have you ever done a trackday and seen how badly worn your tyres are after just 30mins of ripping it round a track?

Azzawon

Any updates on AMD performance? Havent kept up on this game like I would of liked to.

Just noticed this got missed - I believe they're working on improving it and AMD themselves have released updates to improve performance on their cards too - someone running on PC would be able to tell you better though.

fresquito

Really?, after 2 hours of ripping an F1 around Zolder shouldn't see any wear?, have you ever done a trackday and seen how badly worn your tyres are after just 30mins of ripping it round a track?
Probably depends on your driving, the asphalt, temps... saying you shouldn't be feeling any tyre wear was an overstatement. What i meant is that the tyres shouldn't be dying on you after two hours.

Didn't you pit in in two hours?

Seanspeed

Banned
I experienced notable tire wear after about 15 minutes of driving the McLaren F1 around Zolder. I think some people are just not very trained to feel these things. It was no coincidence that after pitting, I came out and was immediately 1+ second a lap faster and much more confident. The wear can happen gradually enough that it's not always immediately noticeable, but the switch to new tires makes the difference incredibly obvious.

danowat

Banned
I experienced notable tire wear after about 15 minutes of driving the McLaren F1 around Zolder. I think some people are just not very trained to feel these things. It was no coincidence that after pitting, I came out and was immediately 1+ second a lap faster and much more confident. The wear can happen gradually enough that it's not always immediately noticeable, but the switch to new tires makes the difference incredibly obvious.

I'm not the most mechanically sympathetic person ;)

Mascot

I believe (it's been a while since I was a professional racing driver) that tyre wear follows a slight exponential curve, then suddenly 'drops off the cliff' (as us professional racing drivers used to say to each other while eating champagne and spit-roasting supermodels on our yachts).

Edit: looks like the Bentley Continental GT might be the next free car. Somebody had one pop into a PS4 mp lobby last night before quickly disappearing. Under test, maybe?

danowat

Banned
I believe (it's been a while since I was a professional racing driver) that tyre wear follows a slight exponential curve, then suddenly 'drops off the cliff' (as us professional racing drivers used to say to each other while eating champagne and spit-roasting supermodels on our yachts).

Lol, you've obviously need been a pro-am race driver, it's about as far from drinking (eating?) champagne and spit-roasting supermodels on yachts as you can get.

It's more like drinking Iron Bru, eating sausage rolls and getting a blowy round the back of the garage.........apparently........

JamboGT

It depends on the tyre really, F1 Pirelli tyres for example are made of chewing gum that if you push for more than three corners they then give up the ghost and fall off the cliff. Then you go to the Michelins used at Le Mans for example which are quite happy to be triple stinted, staying consistent the whole way through. Only really going off when the rubber phuysically is worn off the tyre.

SmokyDave

It depends on the tyre really, F1 Pirelli tyres for example are made of chewing gum that if you push for more than three corners they then give up the ghost and fall off the cliff. Then you go to the Michelins used at Le Mans for example which are quite happy to be triple stinted, staying consistent the whole way through. Only really going off when the rubber phuysically is worn off the tyre.
I'm going to have to mention the word 'durometer'. Just because it's applicable and I know what it means so I look clever.

Mascot, you get 30 points if you can remember the old MBUK advert that explained what the durometer of rubber was and why it mattered. 40 points if you can name the bike being advertised.

It was that first generation of carbon Scott, with the rigid but flexible swingarm. Can't remember the name, FX maybe? They were cool.

Is it just me or the AI in this game is just horrible? I'm in no way a hardcore player of these kinds of games but I've had races where the AI just behaved like bumper cars, it doesn't matter what's in front or it of even if it's going off-road (with what it seems no loss of speed) it just follows its line no matter what.
Additionally, the weight and collisions seem to be all wrong. My car seems to be made of tin foil while the AI's are made of steel and have some crazy grip to the road. I've had opponents that just crash into my car from behind and and somehow overtake me from beneath(!) like nothing's happened.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it just me or the AI in this games is just horrible? I'm in no way a hardcore player of these kinds of games but I've had races where the AI just behaved like bumper cars, it doesn't matter what's in front of it of even if it's going off-road (with what it seems no loss of speed) it just follows it line no matter what.
Additionally the weight and collisions seem to be all wrong. My car seems to be made of tin foil while the AI's are made of steel and have some crazy grip to the road. I've had opponents that just crash into my car from behind and and somehow overtake me from beneath(!) like nothing's happened.
AI is not good when clumped together in groups. It can be fairly respectable once they spread out a tad, though.

And yes, collision physics are a bit whack in general and feel far more punishing for you than the AI. Haven't even tried online yet but this makes me a bit weary to do so.

Azzawon

Edit: looks like the Bentley Continental GT might be the next free car. Somebody had one pop into a PS4 mp lobby last night before quickly disappearing. Under test, maybe?

Damn, that would be great if true. And here's me thinking the next one would be the Audi A1 Quattro.

Mascot

Mascot, you get 30 points if you can remember the old MBUK advert that explained what the durometer of rubber was and why it mattered. 40 points if you can name the bike being advertised.

Mmm... Was it the first generation of carbon Scott, with the rigid but flexible swingarm? Can't remember the name, FX maybe?

Fox Mulder

Yes, but didn't change the tyres :p (rookie mistake navigating the god awful pit menu)

i once made the mistake of pitting and changing only the left front tire to wet because the menus fucking suck.

in the f1 games, you can call a pit stop and select what you want very easily while racing around. I couldn't even find a spot to assign a pit button on the controller here and the menus are clunky as shit. Mandatory pit stops ruin the upper tiers in career anyways since cars ghost and drive through each other in the pits, but you're held for a safe release.

Top Bottom