• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Korezo

Did the FFB get improved a lot? I stopped playing the game because it felt weak at launch and even with that ffb fix some guy made a while ago.

OrangeOak

Hoping they fix it too...I mean, having the ENTIRE 30 car grid stacked up there seemingly unable to navigate their way through is pretty bad...

Like I said, first time I've been on Monza in pCARS so when I saw the initial car sideways in the chicane on lap 1 I thought to myself "cool! Kinda realistic, he wiped out in the rain and the game warned me" then as I come around on lap 2...get the slow car warning and I'm thinking "crap, either that car is totally disabled or stuck on the wall." Then I see ~25 sets of brake lights ahead of me and I'm like "SHIT! BRAKES!"

I have similar experience. I was doing my first lap in rain and there was one car on the grass after that chicane. I thought that it is cool and realistic but on second lap there were two cars there and on next lap there was some bigger pile and I couldn't go through as fast as I wanted.
Worst part was when I restarted and there were some cars again after a while, not as bad as before though.

xrnzaaas

Maldonado strikes again :D

3gcPSOi.jpg

The Lotus 98T championship is very uneven, because the AI is still godlike in rain. I've notice it in the Zolder race where I had to start on intermediate tires and was quickly overtaken. Then I tried to start on the slicks, but I couldn't make it to the finish line without pitting (dat aquaplanning).

Maldonado strikes again :D

3gcPSOi.jpg

The Lotus 98T championship is very uneven, because the AI is still godlike in rain. I've notice it in the Zolder race where I had to start on intermediate tires and was quickly overtaken. Then I tried to start on the slicks, but I couldn't make it to the finish line without pitting (dat aquaplanning).

Its a bug the ai arent affected by rain.

Hey. I had the same thing happen twice last night too. I was in career mode (GT3 ) on the Brno track. Tried to accelerate and turn and it was like I was in mollases. Switched to exterior view and moved the camera around and yep, all four tires were fully flat.

Yeah exactly.

If anybody from SMS is reading, this needs fixing. It's really frustrating when it happens, as it completely ruins a race

Anybody know of a fix, lemme know.

xrnzaaas

Its a bug the ai arent affected by rain.

Yeah, I suspect that it wasn't planned to be this way, but they should fix it asap since rain occurs in a lot of the races in the career and it can ruin your efforts in some championships and single events. :/ At this moment I'm stuck with dumbing down the AI to make the challenge similar to dry conditions.

so.......THIS happened today...please excuse the racing line. First time I had driven Monza in this game...

But let me set the stage...2nd lap of qualifying...first lap there was a pretty good amount of rain, and as im nearing the end of the lap i got a warning about a slow car...and there was a car wrecked in the last chicane before the front straight...WELL...when i came back around for lap 2...ill let the video do the talking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuphPDiffCg&feature=youtu.be

I've encountered a pileup like that during qualifying as well on the exit of that chicane.

_machine

It was supposed to be fixed in 1.4 unless SMS are completely full of shit.
They fixed the AI tires in the rain (AI not having correct tires or something like that), not sure if AI behaviour for rain was properly rebalanced though.

EDIT: Yup, this was the bugfix in the patch and the proper AI rain improvements should be coming in the next patch (might wanna do a little research before accusing them of being full of shit tho):
* The AI will now show much more realistic grip loss when running on slick tyres in the rain.

Been watching some Le Mans this weekend and it sucks that we don't have tools to fully create the race grid for a single player race weekend. I get that it's a lot of work, especially on GUI side and there are restrictions on how many different models you can have on the field, but still even though I really like the career I would definitely love the chance to create my own racing events.

xrnzaaas

They fixed the AI tires in the rain (AI not having correct tires or something like that), not sure if AI behaviour for rain was properly rebalanced though.
It wasn't. I was about 2 seconds faster than everyone else in qualifying when we were using slicks and about 2-3 second slower in the race on rain tires (I took a look at the replays from that Zolder race and everyone was starting on the same compound).

So hopefully the next patch comes out soon. :)

nikos

So I still get a problem where my car seems to get stuck in neutral. I'm pretty sure a "-" is displayed, instead of a gear number, and I can't shift back into gear for about 10 seconds. It has cost me many races.

Is this a bug? I don't think it's mechanical damage because I'm not running the car particularly hard, and it wouldn't magically fix itself.

EDIT: Always happens right at the end of a race.

ZalXII

It wasn't. I was about 2 seconds faster than everyone else in qualifying when we were using slicks and about 2-3 second slower in the race on rain tires (I took a look at the replays from that Zolder race and everyone was starting on the same compound).

So hopefully the next patch comes out soon. :)

I do not say they fixed Rain AI completely but compared to before they slowed them down by merely 2 seconds per round in the rain. I was able to compete in the rain and later storm in a race on Sakitto equally to dry conditions, on Intermediate and then Full Wet Tires of course.

AI behavior on Slicks in the rain seems still broken, but at least they pit now and change tires. Still, they start with rain tires in short races with rain incoming after 4-5 rounds which is annoying because i as the player can't know that.

Sickbean

Am I missing something fundamental with how mandatory pit stops work? Currently in the GT3 Euros, and it rains half way through the second race. Which would be fine except my engineer tells me to pit for tyre change on lap 2.

At the moment I have to run a trial run of each race to find out what the weather is going to do and what my engineer is going to do, then try to find some sort of tyre compromise.

danowat

Banned
AI is just completely unbalanced, I shouldn't be able to completely annihilate the AI on 90% using one car, and struggle to keep with the pack using another.

The AI are just far too good at driving some cars, like the CTR, 98T or the Ford MkIV, they are godlike driving them, and dog slow in others.

_machine

AI is just completely unbalanced, I shouldn't be able to completely annihilate the AI on 90% using one car, and struggle to keep with the pack using another.

The AI are just far too good at driving some cars, like the CTR, 98T or the Ford MkIV, they are godlike driving them, and dog slow in others.
Where around are you in career?

Still quite early in the career myself so I haven't really noticed much difference in the difficulty between cars, but it'd be nice to prepare for those inconsistencies. Is it more like the "difficult" cars are the ones where they are much faster than you?

I personally don't like adjusting the AI percentage constatly, especially on a race basis, since it feels a bit like cheating myself so I'm really hoping SMS will start adressing the balance more once the major bugs are fixed.

danowat

Banned

Still quite early in the career myself so I haven't really noticed much difference in the difficulty between cars, but it'd be nice to prepare for those inconsistencies. Is it more like the "difficult" cars are the ones where they are much faster than you?

I personally don't like adjusting the AI percentage constatly, especially on a race basis, since it feels a bit like cheating myself so I'm really hoping SMS will start adressing the balance more once the major bugs are fixed.

Just cars that require you to drive with some care, it's easy to see, if you make a race on road america with the CTR, the AI are godlike around the carousel, they are just leaps and bounds faster.

It's the same with the MkIV, the AI's tyre model is much more forgiving, just watch how they drive round Sonoma using the in session monitor and telemetry, and then try to replicate what they do.

_machine

Just cars that require you to drive with some care, it's easy to see, if you make a race on road america with the CTR, the AI are godlike around the carousel, they are just leaps and bounds faster.

It's the same with the MkIV, the AI's tyre model is much more forgiving, just watch how they drive round Sonoma using the in session monitor and telemetry, and then try to replicate what they do.
Yup thanks, should make it easier to predict which cars are unbalanced for the AI. I should probably try it out myself with the CTR, have barely had any time to put into the game for the past 2 weeks.

I should also check out the dedicated server software now that I have a more reliable internet connection. Would be cool to try and get a little league action with friends or over here on GAF.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yeah exactly.

If anybody from SMS is reading, this needs fixing. It's really frustrating when it happens, as it completely ruins a race

Anybody know of a fix, lemme know.

Wow yep, same thing happened to me! In the GT3 series, first race I did in it, in fact, on Laguna Seca, came out of the mandatory pit, hadn't changed anything for pit strategy, and all 4 of my tires were fucking flat! I was like, wtf is going on?!? I rage quit and haven't fired it back up since.

How in the world is that even a thing? Such a weird bug! In what universe would it be ok to make the tires flat during a pit stop?!

EDIT: Found this on the Pcars forums, It's a known issue and is being looked into.

Hawk269

Nope, it's still in MSFT cert so not even the developers still know when it can go live, but since it's already been live of PS4 for a while you'd think it won't be long.

Thanks. Do we have a list of patch notes yet or a link on what it may contain?

Wow yep, same thing happened to me! In the GT3 series, first race I did in it, in fact, on Laguna Seca, came out of the mandatory pit, hadn't changed anything for pit strategy, and all 4 of my tires were fucking flat! I was like, wtf is going on?!? I rage quit and haven't fired it back up since.

How in the world is that even a thing? Such a weird bug! In what universe would it be ok to make the tires flat during a pit stop?!

EDIT: Found this on the Pcars forums, It's a known issue and is being looked into.

Ah good thanks for the update.

FWIW I fired up the same race today and it was fine so it must just be sporadic. These guys and their bugs though, Christ. I fucking love this game - but man.

xrnzaaas

IMO the Brands Hatch invitational event is the hardest one out of all available in the early stages of the career. I've tried to win it using a RUF, a BAC and a McLaren and failed every damn time. Also, it's hard to win the foggy Focus Sonoma event and rainy Nurburgring BMW 1 Series Coupe event, but that's mostly because you can't take part in qualifyings and you have to start way back on the grid.

So few things I've noticed since I started playing on Friday (with the latest patch on PS4):

- Flags for going off-track in practice and qualifying are faaar too harsh. Even if you just clip the grass with a single wheel in some places, or run off on an exit and clearly lose time, you still lose your laptime.

- Clicking 'Simulate rest of session' leads to the game hanging 100% of the time.

- The camera controls in photo mode don't seem to do anything

Otherwise, it's a pretty damn fun time.

Sickbean

Am I missing something fundamental with how mandatory pit stops work? Currently in the GT3 Euros, and it rains half way through the second race. Which would be fine except my engineer tells me to pit for tyre change on lap 2.

At the moment I have to run a trial run of each race to find out what the weather is going to do and what my engineer is going to do, then try to find some sort of tyre compromise.

Anyone??

kie25

The change in time on PS4 time trials is so much better now, I posted a lap few days ago in mclaren on the old time day on road America 1.55 I think it was, and yesterday I went back on with the new time day that gives more grip and achieved a 1.53.5, only thing to consider is on certain tracks consider a pressure change on tyres as they overheat a little faster now :) here is the new lap I did anyway.

https://youtu.be/euZP7RBUyH4

Trojan X

Banned
Big question - has the devs reveal their plans for the next big DLC update for this game? Due to the game's engine and so on, it makes much more sense to focus on DLC and expanding and optimizing the game as much as possible rather than releasing a sequel. Heck, I also all for Project Cars TV if they do something like that right.

The possibilities are endless with this kind of game but the question still remains, what are the devs going to do? Think and execute big or wuss out and focus on the sequel like every tom, dick and harry developer?

- Flags for going off-track in practice and qualifying are faaar too harsh. Even if you just clip the grass with a single wheel in some places, or run off on an exit and clearly lose time, you still lose your laptime.
I disagree, I think they are too lenient. The amount you can cut and push wide in some areas without a penalty is ridiculous - has made me drive the hotlap challenges in an unrealistic way that I don't really enjoy. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1NdigTAVo - the lap should've been invalid at 1:16, 1:17, 1:36, 1:41, 1:44 and arguably a couple of other places too.

Big question - has the devs reveal their plans for the next big DLC update for this game? Due to the game's engine and so on, it makes much more sense to focus on DLC and expanding and optimizing the game as much as possible rather than releasing a sequel. Heck, I also all for Project Cars TV if they do something like that right.

The possibilities are endless with this kind of game but the question still remains, what are the devs going to do? Think and execute big or wuss out and focus on the sequel like every tom, dick and harry developer?

They are deep in planning pcars 2 on the forums.

Fox Mulder

Just don't pit that early. The game telling you to pit on lap 2 is annoying. The f1 games let you setup a pit strategy for tire wear and pick that best lap to pit before the race.

The pitting in this game needs lots of fixes really.

_machine

Crap... Too soon for that, but planning is planning... Would be fantastic if they do something DLC wise and expanding and increasing the involvement of the community via the game.
There's no such thing as too soon for pre-production though, the longer it is the better and so far they have only a few people on the staff working on it, so no worries really.

In any case this picture and the Project Cars On Demand should help clarify some of the support plans. No mention of what the additional features will be, but I know that at least Indy Car racing and ovals will be coming and looking at the official forums Ian has responded to quite a few things to have them added "to his list", like for example tire wear indicators and spotter are something that could be coming in a future update.

Wow, I keep checking in on this games OT to see how it's going with updates and everything, and it still sounds borderline unplayable. Those AI issues sound game-breaking IMO.

The longer SMS takes to get these issues resolved, the lower my buy price is gonna end up :(

Indycar and ovals sound like cool additions though. What's the maximum cars in MP on consoles?

Sickbean

Wow, I keep checking in on this games OT to see how it's going with updates and everything, and it still sounds borderline unplayable. Those AI issues sound game-breaking IMO.

The longer SMS takes to get these issues resolved, the lower my buy price is gonna end up :(

Indycar and ovals sound like cool additions though. What's the maximum cars in MP on consoles?

It's far from unplayable. Even with its issues, it's still the most fun I've ever had in a racing game.

It's far from unplayable. Even with its issues, it's still the most fun I've ever had in a racing game.

I haven't played it, so I'm not speaking with authority.

It's based purely on posts from this thread.

You're praise gives me hope that when I stop seeing issues like AI piling up in the rain and buy it, I'm really going to enjoy it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I haven't played it, so I'm not speaking with authority.

It's based purely on posts from this thread.

You're praise gives me hope that when I stop seeing issues like AI piling up in the rain and buy it, I'm really going to enjoy it.
A lot of us have been playing for a while and are past the 'lets talk about how great everything is' phase and are into a point where we're being more critical. But just because you hear about these issues doesn't mean we aren't still having a great time. The positives outweigh the negatives, so don't focus completely on the bad things here.

danowat

Banned
A lot of us have been playing for a while and are past the 'lets talk about how great everything is' phase and are into a point where we're being more critical. But just because you hear about these issues doesn't mean we aren't still having a great time. The positives outweigh the negatives, so don't focus completely on the bad things here.

I am quite a fickle gamer, and it takes something pretty special to take my focus for any great length of time.

I've put 100+hrs into PCars, so it is doing things right, don't get me wrong it's not without (big) problems, but what is good, is so, so good, it's really worth playing if you like racing sims.

kie25

Game is very good but just needs few bugs fixing, mainly pitstops in my view, my league has had to change to 27 laps in our GT3 league so that we don't need to pit. Unplayable though is not a term I'd use to describe this game, the feeling I get driving most cars with my wheel is unmatched in any other game.

danowat

Banned
Game continues to troll me.

Round 2 of the Classic Lotus F1 cup, Lotus 98T at Zolder, get to the front of the pack, leading by a second, all going well, I am going to win this I think.

The game has other ideas, 5th lap of 7th, starts spitting, Ok I think, last couple of laps, I'll tough it out, game sees this and thinks, F U mate, heavens open and the car turns into Bambi on a frozen lake.

Last lap, Turn 2, slide off and touch the barrier, front wheel comes off, and the field sail past...........

Top Bottom