• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Re Fantasy Dengeki Playstation Interview [01/12/17]

ywdsxyH.jpg

Dengeki recently interviewed both Atlus' Katsura Hoshino and Shigenori Soejima about Project Re Fantasy and their goals with their new studio, Studio Zero.

A few interesting tidbits:

Hashino wants to explore the conflicts between different races that results from a journey, and the growth in people that it brings. This is an essence that he has drawn from “Shin Megami Tensei” and “Persona,” which he wants to apply to this fantasy. He is confident that, if he is able to finish it, he will be able to do something that builds upon what his seniors have created, allowing them to make an original work.

He is not striving for what tends to be called a “AAA (Triple A) title,” but aiming it to be of 5-star interest all the same. Similar to what he has done before. For that reason, they are fleshing out various things at the “core” of the fantasy they envision.

Dengeki PlayStation asks whether the elf woman depicted in the first piece of concept art is the hero of the story, and Hashino responds by saying he cannot say anything about story details yet. However, the woman depicted in the concept art is not the image of the main character. The main characters of current games and anime are often designed to be ages where they’re “shortly before becoming an adult,” such as high school students who are easy for users to empathize with the most. Hashino is creating the image of a different type of protagonist (player).

Link to the Full Interview.

(Big thank you to Persona Central for the image & translation)

He is confident that, if he is able to finish it, he will be able to do something that builds upon what his seniors have created, allowing them to make an original work.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Hexa

This sounds more and more to me like medieval Persona, which would be great.
I was also getting worried it might not come out on Playstation, but it looks like its essentially confirmed too. Awesome.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This sounds more and more to me like medieval Persona, which would be great.
I was also getting worried it might not come out on Playstation, but it looks like its essentially confirmed too. Awesome.

Where else would it come out on? What would give you that impression?

jjonez18

Someone fill me in:

What is Dengeki's affiliation with PlayStation?
I only know Dengeki as the tracker/provider of Japanese hardware and software sales. Just alittle background

Edit:
Thanks Duckroll ,but I know it's a magazine.
Does Sony own Dengeki? Is there a Dengeki Nintendo? What else does Dengeki do? Is more of what I'm getting at.

Edit #2: I think I get it. Two separate companies. This one is the magazine lol.

Rather upset that the protagonist isn't the concept art's Elf Knight, but I still have my fingers crossed that Hoshino's focus on TRPGs means we'll be able to create/pick our protagonist. (Male/Female, Class, etc.)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well no platforms were announced and it's a game coming out years from now in Japan so it could of been a switch title or a switch 2 title.

What i meant is, this obviously was not going to be any exclusive considering how they are starting a team specifically for this game. Its much more likely to be multiplatform with PS4, Switch and PC than not.

Vitanimus

The main characters of current games and anime are often designed to be ages where they’re “shortly before becoming an adult,” such as high school students who are easy for users to empathize with the most. Hashino is creating the image of a different type of protagonist (player)

Neat!

FluxWaveZ

I always think about Etrian Odyssey when this game comes up and the tone is "Atlus is finally tackling the fantasy genre." It's even more interesting now that we see tabletop RPGs are such a clear inspiration for Studio Zero, like it is for the EO team.

duckroll

I always think about Etrian Odyssey when this game comes up and the tone is "Atlus is finally tackling the fantasy genre." It's even more interesting now that we see tabletop RPGs are such a clear inspiration for Studio Zero, like it is for the EO team.

Tabletop RPGs are actually a very strong influence for Japanese RPG designers in general. It's not always obvious in the final product, but it has always been there.

wmlk

It's always funny reading Japanese developer talks that are conceptual since they tend to be really idyllic.

I like the sound of this so far except that "Project Re Fantasy" comes off like a mobile shovel ware title or mediocre kickstarter. They should come up with something snazzier!

So, is the consensus around "Not AAA" that it means it'll be treated the same as past Persona/SMT games, or are people taking this to mean that it'll be a smaller-scale project?

Zolo

Yeah that sounds about right.

Hashino strikes me as the type of person who dislikes talking in concretes and therefore uses whatever equivalent to 'if', 'maybe', etc.

So the protagonist will be an old man?
The impression I get from the current concept art and concepts is that they may be going for an RPG that spans over a protagonist's lifetime (or a decent chunk of it).

Also, I remember hearing them talk about how one of the concepts for P5 was a backpacking story, so it makes me wonder if that idea's kinda getting transitioned here for the idea of a journey.

Top Bottom