• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Sonic 2017 Trailer (Holiday 2017, PS4/XBO/PC/NX)

NeonZ

The whole concept of having two separate Sonics is still mindbogglingly stupid to me and a testament to Sega's inability to know what to do with its star IP. Imagine that happening with any other franchise and people would just be scratching their heads. 2 Marios? 2 Raymans? 2 Crash Bandicoots? Please.

There's Megaman and Zelda.

Ogodei

Looks like they're going for a SatAM vibe, but eh. Much more interested in the basic mechanics.

I wonder if that NX logo will disappear.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah imagine if there was a Mario made of paper in addition to the original and eventually they teamed up? People would be almost as confused as if there was a baby version of Mario too

If said Paper Mario was established as some sort of new main series that more or less replaced "regular" Mario and was generally regarded as inferior to the original, then yeah, people would be confused.

And then, if after much bitching from fans, Nintendo finally released what looks more like a "regular" Mario game, only to have him team up with his very different alter-ego with a spotty track record, and the game was evenly split in half between the two characters and gameplay styles, then yeah, people would be confused as hell.

Thankfully Nintendo never went full bonkers in that regard - though 3D Mario all but replacing 2D Mario for like 15 years was almost as crazy.

I'll let that slide since I've always loved the combination of your GAF name and avatar.

[EDIT]

Wait, was there ever a Zelda game where Links from different universes teamed up and each had one half of the game? I'm not an expert on Zelda, but I can't think of any such title right now.
As for Mega Man, well... I don't think anyone is taking Mega Man as an example of how to handle a character and series.

.shin

Banned
h-xoHU1b3VLrJLC5-LH10IjrNoHLdJ1c2Edu84N9nqrvc027mfZcyKF9p9Mc6s_MF_EIbSiunsuWeb-TBX2giJQ9xyeMYinuwnPizORYgDj7k5txdo3ZdSPd4pyEmI3m

get this cringey edge out of my SONIC!!!!

RagnarokX

They are not adding boom sonic. Bandages aside, he pretty much is the same character as modern sonic.

Boom knuckles/tails? Whole different kettle of fish.

No, Sonic Generations was about gameplay styles. Sonic Boom is different from Unleashed/Colors/Generations and would offer a different gameplay style
that no one wants.

Classic is pure 2D.
Modern is 3D/2D on linear scripted paths with boost mechanics.
Boom would be full 3D with camera control and beam whip thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The whole concept of having two separate Sonics is still mindbogglingly stupid to me and a testament to Sega's inability to know what to do with its star IP. Imagine that happening with any other franchise and people would just be scratching their heads. 2 Marios? 2 Raymans? 2 Crash Bandicoots? Please.

But at least we got an "NX" thing at the end. Is that a first?
Back in the early 2000s Capcom had Mega Man Zero, Mega Man X, and Mega Man Battle Network concurrently in production. Plus they were still rereleasing classic Mega Man games.

RagnarokX

The Sonic Boom speculation is baseless at best.

It's not baseless. There being 3 Death Egg Robots and Sega promoting the 25th anniversary with this image:
qVxrQfG.jpg

are certainly facts to base the speculation on.

Plus decades of Sega proving they don't deserve benefit of the doubt on these things.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Back in the early 2000s Capcom had Mega Man Zero, Mega Man X, and Mega Man Battle Network concurrently in production. Plus they were still rereleasing classic Mega Man games.

All of which were clearly established as different series, with different Mega Mans from different universes/eras (MM Zero doesn't count, it's just a spin-off with another character). I will say that Capcom diluted the brand by making too many side series and ignoring the original though. But that's another thing entirely, and a fuck-up of its own.

Anyway, my point was never "oh, there should never be 2 versions of one character", see my previous post.

[EDIT] And now I'm seeing that pic above me with Sonic Boom's Sonic next to the other two... Holy crap. I'll call that "comics disease". To someone who doesn't read comics, this kind of character multiplication is puzzling at best.

Plot twist, the third Sonic is actually the Dreamcast era Sonic voiced by Ryan Drummond, whose gameplay is based on Sonic Adventure 2.

Gotta make up to those people angry about no Adventure 3 somehow.

I hope Classic Sonic is voiced by Jaleel White (sp?) this time.

I still think it was weird that in Generations he was mute while Classic Robotnik and Tails could speak.

I mean, I don't mind Classic Sonic not speaking, it's a neat throwback to the Genesis games obviously not having VA, but it's just weird that for some reason the other classic characters they have can speak.

I'll just repeat the same exact thing I said to you before: who fucking cares? It's shocking and disturbing that you read this much into the narrative of a 90's 2D platformer.

"reading into it"

the literal premise sonic cd hinges on and is designed around is that eggman has created a dystopian future and you're supposed to prevent it

keero16

Neo Member
I hope Classic Sonic is voiced by Jaleel White (sp?) this time.

I'll never understand why people want this. Well, besides the obvious nostalgia for the shows.

Thay voice was so irritating. It really would have ruined my outlook of Classic Sonic in Generations if he opened his mouth and had that voice.

Simbabbad

This. This game is built around what could seem cool to teenagers 15 years ago.

Pass.
So, you already beat the game, you're so lucky !
What beating the game has to do with tone? All this trailer does is set a tone, and like plenty of people here observe, that tone is terrible - what could seem cool to teenagers 15 years ago.

Also, I already asked you to stop harassing me, welcome to my ignore list.

Maybe the third Eggman is his dad or uncle whatever and the third sonic is Shadow, to represent the Golden Era. Would explain the apocalypse edgelord stuff. Or it's that weird cartoon sonic.

It's not baseless. There being 3 Death Egg Robots and Sega promoting the 25th anniversary with this image:
http://i.imgur.com/qVxrQfG.jpg[/ig]
are certainly facts to base the speculation on.[/QUOTE]

The 25th anniversary image doesn't mean anything. Sega has been promoting Sonic Boom as very much its own thing with practically no overlap, hence the TV series and tie-in games.

The three robots is just laughable. Am I to believe that there's actually an extended cut of the teaser trailer? Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic are racing towards the robots to stop them but OH! It turns out that there are three of them! Luckily Boom Sonic appears to even the odds. Maybe if there were four robots then the SatAM or Comic book Sonic would join the fight too.

Nothing about the mechs indicates that Eggman(s) are piloting them. They have a pretty basic mass-produced design. Furthermore, they way they're tearing through the city is unorganized. All those bots are concerned with is destroying stuff. Basically, this is grunt work, a diversionary tactic to keep the Sonics occupied while the Eggmans steal some chaos emeralds or something.

Maybe they're gonna try to introduce Tails/Knuckles gameplay in addition to the Sonic gameplay? That'd be cool. The Sonic stages could be basically more of the same from Generations, with Tails/Knuckles levels being more exploration based in 3D, perhaps akin to how they played in Sonic Adventure 1/2, but similar to the classics in 2D.

I would actually love that. I'm really like... over basically every other character, but if they sold this as a return to the fab 3 in a grand epic adventure then I'm definitely in for that. I can't imagine getting too excited for anything much different than that, really.

What I'm hoping they DON'T do is have each level work like a tagteam thing, where you switch between the two styles. That would bum me out! I like the levels segregated between the two styles, it would be very jarring to switch between the two characters.

Mr Swine

Banned
The 25th anniversary image doesn't mean anything. Sega has been promoting Sonic Boom as very much its own thing with practically no overlap, hence the TV series and tie-in games.

The three robots is just laughable. Am I to believe that there's actually an extended cut of the teaser trailer? Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic are racing towards the robots to stop them but OH! It turns out that there are three of them! Luckily Boom Sonic appears to even the odds. Maybe if there were four robots then the SatAM or Comic book Sonic would join the fight too.

Nothing about the mechs indicates that Eggman(s) are piloting them. They have a pretty basic mass-produced design. Furthermore, they way they're tearing through the city is unorganized. All those bots are concerned with is destroying stuff. Basically, this is grunt work, a diversionary tactic to keep the Sonics occupied while the Eggmans steal some chaos emeralds or something.

They look a bit rusty too so perhaps they are old robots he has had hidden somewhere. Or he rebuilt the Death Egg and is launching a full scale invasion on planet earth perhaps

Tall4Life

While the game has modern and classic Sonic, maybe it's more like a normal game with new levels instead of old levels reduxed? I would at least hope that's the case.

Eidan

If said Paper Mario was established as some sort of new main series that more or less replaced "regular" Mario and was generally regarded as inferior to the original, then yeah, people would be confused.

And then, if after much bitching from fans, Nintendo finally released what looks more like a "regular" Mario game, only to have him team up with his very different alter-ego with a spotty track record, and the game was evenly split in half between the two characters and gameplay styles, then yeah, people would be confused as hell.

Thankfully Nintendo never went full bonkers in that regard - though 3D Mario all but replacing 2D Mario for like 15 years was almost as crazy.

I'll let that slide since I've always loved the combination of your GAF name and avatar.

[EDIT]

Wait, was there ever a Zelda game where Links from different universes teamed up and each had one half of the game? I'm not an expert on Zelda, but I can't think of any such title right now.
As for Mega Man, well... I don't think anyone is taking Mega Man as an example of how to handle a character and series.

Man, your argument fell apart pretty fast.

MAtgS

I swear, some of the people in this thread must apparently find G-rated Disney films to be too dark & edgy. Eggman's a conquering warlord, this is what he's always been trying to do in every game. You think the army of robots are just there to frolic in the woods?

keero16

Neo Member
I swear, some of the people in this thread must apparently find G-rated Disney films to be too dark & edgy. Eggman's a conquering warlord, this is what he's always been trying to do in every game. You think the army of robots are just there to frolic in the woods?

To be fair, when it first showed the scenery, my mind immediately went to 06, which is never good.

But yeah, people need to chill out. We saw hardly anything about the game, I'm positive there will still be colorful and charming atmospheres, especially if Classic Sonic is in it.

MacTag

Banned
I doubt they'll bring in Boom. I do expect a 3rd "Generation" of Sonic but it'll probably be a new future iteration as conceived by Sonic Team directly. The promo environment is probably in this dark future era too, and the 3 giant Robotnicks can have come from each era (past/present/future). The 3 generations could even be worked directly into the gameplay a la Sonic CD. Then they can call the game SONIC AGES as a nice nod to the anniversary (AGES = SEGA).

That's one terrible art style.

I'm willing to reserve my judgment for the final game, or at least when we see more of the game. They managed to make Crisis City look decent amongst the classic levels in Generations, and I'm assuming not EVERY level is going to be some hellish earth. Not even '06 had every level look dour and sad, most of them were actually pretty bland platformer tropes (Beach, volcano, etc). If they're selling this as a pseudo-Generations sequel, and it is, even if they say it isn't. If the gameplay is the same idea, and the art style is almost exactly the same, it's a sequel. Therefore I'd bet that we're gonna see more traditional and fun looking worlds amongst the chaotic looking ones.

AdanVC

I honestly don't care in the slightliest about the actual trailer. But dat NX temporal logo... I guess everytime there's a new game announcement from now, we can look forward to see if it's going to be announced for NX as well.

Still, can't freaking believe we already know NX release month, and several games that got confirmed for it (Zelda BotW, Sonic 2017 and Just Dance) But we still don't know a single single single thing about the actual device. Simply mindblowing and annoying af.

I think the intention of the trailer was to imply a Sonic '06 tone with the beginning and then go like, surprise, classic Sonic is here, too!

But then most of the trailer was Ow the Edge so that's all people took away from it.

I honestly don't care in the slightliest about the actual trailer. But dat NX temporal logo... I guess everytime there's a new game announcement from now, we can look forward to see if it's going to be announced for NX as well.

Still, can't freaking believe we already know NX release month, and several games that got confirmed for it (Zelda BotW, Sonic 2017 and Just Dance) But we still don't know a single single single thing about the actual device. Simply mindblowing and annoying af.

Also Dragon Quest XI.

I doubt they'll bring in Boom. I do expect a 3rd "Generation" of Sonic but it'll probably be a new future iteration as conceived by Sonic Team directly. The promo environment is probably in this dark future era too, and the 3 giant Robotnicks can have come from each era (past/present/future). The 3 generations could even be worked directly into the gameplay a la Sonic CD. Then they can call the game SONIC AGES as a nice nod to the anniversary (AGES = SEGA).

Post apocalyptic future Sonic... You mean Silver, right?
Because that's all I'm seeing.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Guess we have to endure a year of people pretending the "Sonic Cycle" exists.

Pretty much. This is the Colours and Generations team at Sonic Team. They know what they're doing and they know how to make well-received games, which doesn't fit with the Sonic cycle at all.

I think the intention of the trailer was to imply a Sonic '06 tone with the beginning and then go like, surprise, classic Sonic is here, too!

But then most of the trailer was Ow the Edge so that's all people took away from it..
If that was their intention then it was poorly conceived. If Classic Sonic was meant to be a punchline to get audiences pumped for a classic-type game, they should've followed through with the tone for the rest of the trailer, ya know?

What I took away from it is that we'll be getting more Generations-style gameplay, but with a story that takes more beats from the Adventure games than the bare-bones story of Generations. Whether they pull it off... has yet to be seen, but I thought that was what they were going for with the trailer.

It's a teaser, ultimately, and it's fun to speculate, but we'll never have a good idea of what the game is truly like until gameplay is revealed, likely in the coming months.

Aaron D.

That. Was horrible.

I kept waiting for them to do a needle-scratch cut from the Post-Apocalyptic Game # 3643632 vibe, and have Sonic say something like, "Nah, just kidding." before jumping into a classic-themed, super-colorful, vibrant 3D world.

When they didn't I was like, "Um. Okay."

At least Sonic Mania looks incredible.

Astral Dog

those were different universes, the best example would be MMBN1/Star Force crossover that never left japan, i think,

Anyways, Classic Sonic is there to bring back the old school fans, but, he seems a bit uneccessary this time, hell Modern Sonic always changes designs now he appears like a taller classic Sonic with different eyes.

Sega listening for once, I'm shocked.

Please don't use the wisps thing.

Edit: Assuming this is Generations 2.

That's what I'm a little worried about, that they'll test their luck a bit too much on making this more ambitious and wind up bloating it or making it annoying to play at times. Generations was great, but whenever they deviated from the working formula of either Boost gameplay or Classic gameplay, it became a chore to play. Particularly Planet Wisp and the use of the wisps. I don't think they'll bring them back, but I'm fearful for some weird gimmick to be used that bogs down the otherwise great foundation they built with Generations. Anything from toggling between characters mid-stage to introducing another playable character could make this game go from great to bad, easy.

But at least we got an "NX" thing at the end. Is that a first?

270px-Mario_%26_Luigi_-_Paper_Jam_-_NOA_Boxart.png

those were different universes, the best example would be MMBN1/Star Force crossover that never left japan, i think,

Anyways, Classic Sonic is there to bring back the old school fans, but, he seems a bit uneccessary this time, hell Modern Sonic always changes designs now he appears like a taller classic Sonic with different eyes.
It's completely unnecessary. That's what sonic mania should have been strictly for

Astral Dog

That. Was horrible.

I kept waiting for them to do a needle-scratch cut from the Post-Apocalyptic Game # 3643632 vibe, and have Sonic say something like, "Nah, just kidding." before jumping into a classic-themed, super-colorful, vibrant 3D world.

When they didn't I was like, "Um. Okay."

At least Sonic Mania looks incredible.

this needs to stop, i assure you this is in no way a serious/dark game,

maybe the concept is a bit tired, but this wont be Sonic 2006, they are even using Colors and Generations as examples

Top Bottom