• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Sonic 2017 Trailer (Holiday 2017, PS4/XBO/PC/NX)

I still think this game will follow Generations in terms of formula. The existence of Sonic Mania does lead to a couple of interesting quandries however.

First one being: Will Classic Sonic here follow the lead of the gameplay in Mania? The Classic Sonic levels in Generations were clearly not 1:1 in terms of physics. Generations also released in a different context: Classic Sonic had not been seen in years and a true successor to the Genesis titles had not come about - a fact made all the more apparent with the failure of Sonic 4 Episode I.

This game will follow on from Mania, a game that truly follows on from those titles. Classic Sonic is getting more exposure than evet, when it was said at the time of Generations that his appearance was a one time thing. Could there now be a level of collaboration between the two games in regards to how the Classic 2D gameplay is done? I would love to see this personally.

This relates to the second quandry: what if Classic Sonic doesn't do 2D this time around, and is instead a more "classic" take on the Boost style? Sonic Mania almost renders Classic Sonic's appearance here as pointless, so maybe they will take a different angle. I discussed this earlier, and while I don't think it'll be the case, it's certainly within the realms of possibility.

Of course, that post leaves open the possibility of something completely new, which renders everything moot.

Damn it, I just wanna see gameplay now.

The fact that we see Classic Sonic boost at the end of the trailer makes me think we won't just be getting a copy and paste of his gameplay from Generations. Whether that means he'll have 3D gameplay remains to be seen obviously.

I just hope the "Join the Resistance" line means there are more playable characters, even if it's just Tails and Knuckles.

TrueBlue

The thing is, they COULD experiment with Classic Sonic's style and not get bollocked for it - Mania will provide that cover. It's actually a pretty convenient state of affairs if you think about it.

EDIT: Assuming they do indeed follow Generations to the letter, additional playabke characters would be easy. Tails and Knux for Classic, Blaze and Shadow for Modern. It would fit well.

EDIT: Assuming they do indeed follow Generations to the letter, additional playabke characters would be easy. Tails and Knux for Classic, Blaze and Shadow for Modern. It would fit well.

At his point with game after game only having Sonic playable I'd be happy to just have other characters that played exactly like Sonic.

TrueBlue

At his point with game after game only having Sonic playable I'd be happy to just have other characters that played exactly like Sonic.

I picked Shadow and Blaze because they can both seamlessly pick up the Boost style. Hell, Blaze already did in Sonic Rush.

Tails and Knuckles for Classic is self-explabatory. :p

I wonder if they are using the writters of Colors and Lost World on this. (i hope not!)

There's a small speculation that Ian Flynn from the comics is on board, but it's mostly from him saying that wouldn't be able to say anything if he was.

Honestly if this game wants to have any type of plot, they have to get rid of Pontac and Graff. They've probably been the worst addition to the dev team since their introduction in Colors, just a lot of tone deaf jokes (with a few good ones) and attempts at introducing plot threads that go no where (Lost World was abysmal with this).

"Realistically" meaning with the lack of competency or effort invested by Sonic Team in construction real 3D spaces and giving you the tools to find your way to where you want to go.

Just mash the go fast button whenever you hit the obstacles coming at your too fast to see on the hallway, but look at how fast you're going!

The one I wanted to see announced today.

you're the sonic fan type I despise

I'm just happy that open-world BS has been one of the few things Sonic has never done. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I can go open worldish in that there are multiple branching routes and the areas are a bit more wider rather than narrow. A mix of level design from colors and generations basically with routes from unleashed

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Concurrently, what would be wrong with using Modern Sonic's model for Mania's gameplay?

Nothing.

True, except that most people hate modern Sonic's look and prefer Classic Sonic.
Edit: actually, modern Sonic may be too tall and slim to make a good Sprite that would fit into classic Sonic's level design.

hodgy100

the teaser feels like its channeling SatAM and that kinda worrries me. Sonic was never about attitude or melodrama and it's largely what defined his downfall from 1999 - 2006. the recent lightheartedness in colours, generations and lost worlds has given new life into a series that previously took itself way too seriously.

True, except that most people hate modern Sonic's look and prefer Classic Sonic.
Edit: actually, modern Sonic may be too tall and slim to make a good Sprite that would fit into classic Sonic's level design.

people more hate what the modern design stands for than what it actually looks like.
the latest iteration used in unleashed onwards looks pretty great.

gba04.jpg

TrueBlue

That's purely anecdotal though. I grew up with Modern Sonic, I prefer his look - as do many others. It's nowhere near the catch-all you're suggesting.

The idea of killing off any iteration of the character in favour of the other - be it Classic or Modern - is a mindset that should be avoided lest the fanbase be fractured even more.

EDIT: The sprite thing doesn't really ring true either. The classic physics and level design of Mania wouldn't suddenly go away because Modern is taller.

Sami+

I will never understand how people can complain about boosting in the Unleashed style games and then praise the level design in the Adventure games, even though there's a ton of boost pads in the levels that do the same fucking thing. Not to mention Adventure 2's idea of level design being to fill 60% of the levels with grind rails.

Lost World, Final Egg and City Escape are pretty much the only decent levels in either Adventure game because they actually cut down on that nonsense.

I mean, most of the Adventure praise I'm seeing is for the first one? SA2 sucks ass for a lot of reasons and it's linear Sonic stages are just one of them. SA1 had problems but it's really not similar to Unleashed/Generations at all.

I like both, for the record, but they're very obviously different.

MrBadger

Frankly, I'm happy that Sega are finally using Classic Sonic again because the design does represent something very different to modern Sonic. They hadn't even noticed classic Sonic was a thing when they made Sonic 4. It was awkward. And it'd feel even more awkward to see him in Mania.

Classic and modern can co-exist in the same way regular Mario and Paper Mario can. Different designs that represent different kinds of games.

Classic Sonic is better, though

Modern Sonic in Genesis sprite form is classic sonic. The designs are similar enough that I'm scratching my head why generations exists as it does, with two ever so slightly different looking characters. Though modern sonic is clearly the worse looking character, (but they plumped up Classic Sonic in generations to try to make the differences clearer). My point is, they look like the same character drawn by different people. Like modern sonic is the result of a child trying to draw Sonic on their grade school notebook.

Generations is like if 70s Scooby Doo teamed up with Mystery Inc Scooby Doo. The dog is essentially the same damn thing, you don't need two of them.

Of course, I just loathe the moden Sonic look despite the similarities. He looks so terrible. How long can a characters' legs get before you have to give it a neck? So I want to say, just compromise the design (leaning more toward the mega drive look [because it is the superior iconic, aesthetically pleasing design]) and get on with it, but I know there is an enormous audience that disagrees, and it seems Sonic Team is with them.

TrueBlue

I don't think Modern has looked bad since 2006. His look since Unleashed has been pretty great - his spines were smaller and he was made to look less lanky. He looks like an older Sonic than the classic iteration, which is how it should be.

Edit: I am all for combining the designs into one though. There have been some excellent fan concepts which showcase the best of both designs.

MrBadger

I think it's best to keep the designs separate on account of how divided the fanbase is and how the different designs are associated with different things. With Sonic 4, Sega tried to appeal to everyone as opposed to a tight focus on the classic fans, and the result wasn't so hot and felt awkward. I also think the two designs have very different personalities and body language so I don't see the point in merging them to one when they can both co-exist easily.

Neoxon

I apologize for the bump, but the Sonic Twitter page in honor of hitting 500k followers.

JD9JFJY.gif

Could this be our 3D model for Classic Sonic in this game (though the shade of blue is a bit too dark for Classic Sonic)?

I apologize for the bump, but the Sonic Twitter page in honor of hitting 500k followers.

JD9JFJY.gif

Could this be our 3D model for Classic Sonic in this game (though the shade of blue is a bit too dark for Classic Sonic)?

It would really surprise me if this wasn't the 3D model for Sonic '17.

Top Bottom