• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Why did people poop on Ryse Son of Rome that much?

LordOfChaos

Currently midway through, catching up since I didn't touch Xbox much in the XBO generation and a lot of things I missed are on gamepass

I have a Series S, and I generally think for now one of the worst things about it is BC, because it has to run XBO versions and can't run upgraded XBO X versions, and the for the base XBO a lot of games look kinda poopy now with visibly blurry low resolutions, low res textures etc, i think it suffered a lot more with time than the PS4 for generally being at 720p low vs 900-1080p.

But this is really impressive for being made for that. The models and lighting are all pretty great, I can obviously tell some things are not real time but on the whole the visuals stand up quite well, and I'm just thinking in 2013 (now a full 10 years ago geez) on the XBO, this would have been about the most impressive thing for it.

I always dig roman settings so maybe this is up my alley to start with, but the setting with the barbarian invasions is neat and the story is, well ok enough to keep going so far. Voice acting is fine to good and motion capture is good.

The combat is I guess slightly repetitive but so far I'm finding it fine particularly chaining between multiple enemies takes some skill.

I also know it was a short game, but I'm finding a very well polished one that is impressing me that it came from 10 years ago in what I thought was a gamepass fling, it's pretty high quality so far. I remember more negativity when it came out.

MadPanda

Banned
I don't know, probably because it came out on Xbox one during that mattrick time.

I played it a few years later and enjoyed it for what it is. I'd play a sequel but we aren't getting one. Same for the order on Playstation. Don't understand the hate both games got, but I didn't lay 60 USD for them so...

Kupfer

The game is good, finished it two times by now, reading your post I want to play it a third time on the Deck. In my first playthrough I didn't even realized there are finishers to unlock. The story is well presented, the combat is repetitive but fun, it's not too long and it still looks great. Besides, the scenario is still quite unused. Something new could come from this direction for a change.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I didn't have Xbox so I didnt play Ryse, but for me the reason I didn't enjoy the Order 1886 because to me it was glorified E3 tech demo.

Robb

Gold Member
I only remember playing it for about 1-2h and then never picking it up again. Can’t remember what it was that didn’t click with me.

Calverz

I think the combat/gameplay was repetitive. It also had those kinect moments where you shout so people felt it was gimmicky in that regard. But in general, it was the combat. I actually finished this about a week on steam deck. It looked and played really well. I enjoyed it and found it quite interesting but I can understand the complaints at the time.

Aion002

The first 2 stages are cool.

The graphics are cool, the story is fine and the setting is interesting.

But the gameplay sucks.

The combat is too shallow... There's zero customization, just one weapon and a huge lack of exploration, puzzles or even platforming.

The game is just: run a linear path, fight almost the same mob of enemies until you get a cut scene and that's it, repeat this until you get the end.

It feels like a incomplete game or a long tech demo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shit game. Graphics were pretty good. Frame rate and animations were sloppy. Sword fights were more like QTEs where you'd press the corresponding button to parry and counter attack.

I remember buying it from Best Buy on deal for $40 CDN. I think I traded it back at some point for $20 or as part of a trade back promo. I forget. Waste of $20.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I remember this being a common criticism, it certainly has a number of them but calling it the entire game is dramatic to an extreme
I mean apart from throwing spears every now and then the combat is 100% qte. Press the corresponding color button, thats it.

i kind of wish it was brave enough to admit that's all it was like asuras wrath and go full bonkers.

It’s a great game. It was just hated cause Xbox had to be hated for everything then. As for the QTE thing. I can’t remember much. But if I remember right. Just play just like any other action game like that. How some games give you a sense of danger coming and u hit the counter button. This one, if I remember right had 3 different counter button and depending what color surround the character you hit that button. So qte I believe it just bullshit just to say something bad bout it. I could be wrong. It was like 2016 when I play it and I was blown away how great and fun it was to play and the MP was amazing.

Puscifer

I played it, beat it, tossed it. It was throw away and hardly memorable. I won't say I hated it. It was just a graphics showcase. I'm more of a gameplay kinda guy. Never get hung up on graphics too much.
Basically, and let's be honest the game shows you all of it's tricks 30 minutes in. I'd argue that's where most of the variety comes in at because you don't see anything like shoving an enemy into flames for a special kill for the rest of the game, having Marius stab a guy and guide him to a lit flame was awesome then you just don't see anything like that for the rest of the game.

MarkMe2525

It was a decent romp. I had fun with the little time spent with the game. I don't understand the labeling of combat as purely "QTE" as many action games demand specific responses to visual cues. When I play a modern action game that gives visual cues for counterable attacks or noncounterable heavy attacks, I don't associate it with "QTE".

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Basically, and let's be honest the game shows you all of it's tricks 30 minutes in. I'd argue that's where most of the variety comes in at because you don't see anything like shoving an enemy into flames for a special kill for the rest of the game, having Marius stab a guy and guide him to a lit flame was awesome then you just don't see anything like that for the rest of the game.
You definitely remember more than I did. I think I remember specifically the ballista part and the ending. Everything else just seems like a blur to me.

StueyDuck

It was a decent romp. I had fun with the little time spent with the game. I don't understand the labeling of combat as purely "QTE" as many action games demand specific responses to visual cues. When I play a modern action game that gives visual cues for counterable attacks or noncounterable heavy attacks, I don't associate it with "QTE".
It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember it being a 3 hit "combo" that only completes if you mash the corresponding qte.

Where the batman/spiderman games have combos and movement options, while yes they have counters I don't remember ryse having anything like that

kiphalfton

The QTE's don't do it any favors whatsoever. Also it is extremely linear. Feels more like a tech demo made into a game. Not bad, but not great.

MarkMe2525

It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember it being a 3 hit "combo" that only completes if you mash the corresponding qte.

Where the batman/spiderman games have combos and movement options, while yes they have counters I don't remember ryse having anything like that
In Ryse, if you hit the proper corresponding button you get bonus damage but you can also just mash attack like in other games, although it's very much less efficient.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Because the gameplay is basic to the point of being pointless, the story is away, and the game’s linearity means there’s nothing else to like?

Last edited:

BizarroPete

The combat was basic but the QTE complaints I see here are a bit inaccurate, if I remember correctly. The QTE finishers are an option which becomes available after you hurt an enemy enough with the strong or light attacks. You don't have to use them but they give you a bonus based on the god selected, if performed well.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Because its nooooot very goord the definitions of mid I'm sorry my friends

5cV.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
Its gameplay is very shallow and repetitive and the story is kinda fragmented and lacks the emotional impact. It feels like the only reason that the game was made was so that Microsoft could have something visually impressive to show to the public when promoting Xbox One as a next-gen console because, admittedly, the visuals still look impressive to this day. But that's about all that this game has to offer.

It's Microsoft's equivalent of The Order 1886.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Same reason as why The Order 1886 was massacred at the time... Both were $60 games that had no meat to what were very good looking bones.

Kakax11

Banned
Because Xbox abandoned a great game franchise at it's birth like many others becuase it didn't sell lots of micro-transactions also.....

05-21Mattrick_Web.1419979689.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It was released on Xbox One when it was cool to hate the Xbox One so any and all exclusives had to be shit on.

Also weirdly the game is only like 6 hours long but somehow still overstays its welcome.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It was a good game. Too many QTE's in my opinion. Not much replay value, but cinematic games generally don't offer much in the way of replayability.

GC_DALBEN

I really liked the game, enjoyed the campaign and played a lot of coop with a friend (i dont remember the name of the gamemode)

Zuzu

It had good graphics, story and characters but for me the gameplay is mediocre. Compare it’s action melee gameplay to something like God of War Ragnarok. Ragnarok is in another stratosphere compared to Ryse with regards to it’s combat variety and mechanics. Ryse’s gameplay is very simple and so it gets repetitive very quickly. There’s also hardly any enemy variety. It’s an enjoyable experience mostly for the story and graphics, but gameplay is pretty boring unless you’re in the mood for something very shallow and samey.

Last edited:
It had good graphics, story and characters but for me the gameplay is mediocre. Compare it’s action melee gameplay to something like God of War Ragnarok. Ragnarok is in another stratosphere compared to Ryse with regards to it’s combat variety and mechanics. Ryse’s gameplay is very simple and so it gets repetitive very quickly. There’s also hardly any enemy variety. It’s an enjoyable experience mostly for the story and graphics, but gameplay is pretty boring unless you’re in the mood for something very shallow and samey.
I agree even though Ragnarok doesn’t have a particularly deep combat system (for the genre it’s predecessors are in. It’s a high water mark for Naughty Dig style narrative games). Ryse is one of the most forgettable games I’ve played.

Last edited:
Top Bottom