• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Why did people poop on Ryse Son of Rome that much?

LordOfChaos

The lackluster gameplay was what keeps it from being a good game imo. Look at your own commentary. Even from someone who is very positive on the game, your commentary on the gameplay (arguably the most important factor in a game, even by today's graphics obsessed standard) reads pretty much like an afterthought. It's "repetitive", it's "fine". That's not what usually defines a great video game. You would have written more on the gameplay, combat and other systems instead of reducing it to a single sentence, if it was actually something great and engaging.

Yes, but I'm generally of the thought that "fine" isn't "poop tier"

But yes I recon a big thing is I'm just playing it for no extra cost off Gamepass while for 60 dollars on day one, 6 hours may have been underwhelming.

Last edited:

Banned
Honestly I didn't read all of this but you sound much more informed than me. I just played it once about 5 years ago and thought it was pretty fun.

nothing wrong with that. but there is absolutely a reason why Ryse is seen as a bad game.
and there is a reason why it's basically seen as a QTE fighting system.

and like I said a few posts earlier, I kinda almost don't blame Crytek for this that much, their situation was kinda fucked at the time.
they had no money so they had to take this opportunity, they had to release on launch day, and they had to completely redesigned a game that was originally made for the 360 Kinect...
there have been worse games with less troubled developments.

so you want completely braindead games with bad gamedesign... and are ok with them because they have "cinematic value"?

Ryse and The Order are atrocious games. they should be seen as an insult to gamedesign as a whole.

I kinda can forgive Ryse somewhat as it is a launch title and went through a full redesign really close to releas. but The Order has no excuse, that was just gamedesign diarrhea in the purest form
Yes sometimes I do want, linear, cinematics driven games. Just because the gameplay is mainly focused on linear cover shooting doesn't make the game design bad.

Uncharted 2 is my favorite game of all time but there is literally nothing in the gameplay that makes it stand out from other games. One could argue that even Drake's Fortune had more in depth gameplay mechanics because you can actually pull off melee combos that grant you 2x ammo.

For years I would boot up Uncharted 2 on the easiest difficulty and turn on one shot kills with infinite ammo because I wanted the game to feel and play like I was controlling a movie. I played it so much that figured out ways to make Drake maneuver in the smoothest way possible through certain levels and even learned how to time when he was going to holster his weapon in order to make certain climbing sections look more believable.

Order 1886 is far from bad game design. There's really nothing different in that game than Uncharted, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, all games that have dominated in the single player campaign space over the years.

Do I wish now that it ran at 60fps on my PS5? Of course! And the only real "bad" thing about the game is the re-use of the werewolf boss fight mechanics throughout the game.

But do I have a problem with fluid transitions to cutscenes every few minutes in between gameplay sections, no, absolutely not. The shooting also feels great, the gore is outstanding, many objects have excellent physics throughout the levels which make gunfights look epic.

The characters are great, I love the lore and backstory that the Knights of the Round Table have been fighting half breeds for centuries and continually interact with other real and fictional historical figures such as Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin, Sherlock Holmes and King Arthur. The plot centered around a East India Trading Company conspiracy to bring Vampires to America is fucking awesome as well.

My question is wouldn't someone just go play a different game if they wanted in depth game design? Why would you even bother with this game if it's not what you want?

Last edited:
Top Bottom