• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Valkyrie -source- metroid influenced (previously 3 month mod)

http://www.blackened-interactive.com/threemonthmod/

Heres an interesting mod coming in 2 months. You can watch how they've progressed. The game reminds me of Metroid Prime hunters. Beam cannons, morph balls, and space jump.
The morph ball design reminds me of Crysis.
8412267.jpg

92167351.jpg

From the video it looks like the morphball doesn't have any advantage...looks like it needs more speed...or they haven't showed the boostball?

Looks hot though.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Diablohead said:
You guys just gave me the biggest smile i've had for a long time. Excited I am.

The loco shit is almost everything feature-wise (charge beam, morph ball, morph bombs, boost ball, missiles, super missiles, etc.) is in the game, we're waiting on art assets now.

OliveJuice said:
From the video it looks like the morphball doesn't have any advantage...looks like it needs more speed...or they haven't showed the boostball?

That reminds me, I need to post a vid of boost ball :lol

We're using CS:S aim maps right now to test, but we just brought on three talented mappers, so expect to see vids on their work soon.
Our maps will take full advantage of the ball (Morph only accessible areas with arenas there, etc.) One of our new mappers is talking about half-pipes and dropping in to a map like Tony Hawk, etc. so God only knows what he'll produce.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Littleberu said:
Sorry if that's dumb, but what do you guys plan to do in 3 months? How many maps/player models are planned?

Four maps, one player model (currently), four beam weapons, two missile types, bombs, etc. etc.

If it's popular (I didn't expect to see a NeoGAF thread about it :lol ) we'll support it post-release most definitely.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Diablohead said:
Good luck btw, I look foward to playing this at christmas or at least around then :D

GAF'll probably play it before then, since TF2 proves that a ton of you have HL2 installed.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Zanboo said:
GAF'll probably play it before then, since TF2 proves that a ton of you have HL2 installed.

Please do this. Looks great, just add some more player models :)

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Des0lar said:
Please do this. Looks great, just add some more player models :)

It's a logistical problem of having them fully concepted, modeled, textured, rigged and animated and imported.

Again, if it's popular, we'll infuse it with more content directly after release.

darkressurection said:
HOT DAMN! That is impressive for such a short amount of time.
Well if work is done a few hours each day its all possible, tho the time you think it may take and the time it does take are always different in my experiances, thats the problem.

Zanboo said:
It's a logistical problem of having them fully concepted, modeled, textured, rigged and animated and imported.

Again, if it's popular, we'll infuse it with more content directly after release.

Hey, if you need any help with art assets (that can go from models to animations), I could help!

This might be too early to give suggestions but I hope you guys add in free aim, ice beam,grapple beam, and hack beam (players lose control when hacked). Maybe this can be added for the future release if it gets popular?

The M.O.B

Good luck.

I'm a mapper, I would love to work on this but I am trying to put together my own map at the moment.:D

I just hope your mod doesn't end up like 90% of the MP mods out there, with little to none playing it after the day it comes out.

Like Perfect Dark Source, no one plays that anymore. It's a shame because they put a lot of work into that.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
The M.O.B said:
Good luck.

I'm a mapper, I would love to work on this but I am trying to put together my own map at the moment.:D

I just hope your mod doesn't end up like 90% of the MP mods out there, with little to none playing it after the day it comes out.

Like Perfect Dark Source, no one plays that anymore. It's a shame because they put a lot of work into that.

Releasing anything MP FPS this season is dangerous - mod or retail :D I think we'll do alright, there's a lot of gamers with PCs who were upset the third installment didn't have multiplayer.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zanboo said:
Yep. Multiplayer only. Although I think a singleplayer campaign would be wonderful.

very much agreed. hope things go swimmingly with the multiplayer and a single player campaign becomes something you guys might look into doing. this looks super promising

Zanboo said:
Releasing anything MP FPS this season is dangerous - mod or retail :D I think we'll do alright, there's a lot of gamers with PCs who were upset the third installment didn't have multiplayer.
And that most computers can run source engine games pretty well even if old, ut3 and crysis etc are for top end users mostly.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Diablohead said:
And that most computers can run source engine games pretty well even if old, ut3 and crysis etc are for top end users mostly.

We're going to port over to the TF2/Ep2 codebase later this month and hope that it doesn't absolutely break everything, but we'll be using some of the lighting techniques to get away from the pseudo-photo realistic lighting of HL2.

Of course, if we could implement achievements, etc. that would be awesome, but probably a bit forward thinking. :lol

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Borys said:
Looks way awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed. Love the morphball design.

Thanks!

Here's a bit of insight as to how the morph ball came to light. It actually makes sense (that is if a person could turn into a ball :lol )

1fu45e.jpg

I was wondering what the three month mod you and omega were playing was. I kind of figured you guys were working on a mod after seeing one or both of you using the Source SDK all the time. It's looking good so far.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Quellex said:
As soon as I saw the thread title I thought of Zanboo. Nice.

At some point we'll need a different name. Something that evokes thoughts of our source material without being blantant. Any thoughts?

Zanboo said:
At some point we'll need a different name. Something that evokes thoughts of our source material without being blantant. Any thoughts?

Valkroid?
Velcro
Valkaria
Galactic Arms Yggdrasil
Galactic Arms Federation
Neo Einherjar Omega

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's some really high-quality work, but when I first saw this thread I was hoping it was SP-focused and entirely third-person.

Zanboo said:

Particle's Reality. Ive been saving the name for the first game I ever develop but you're making them one now so if you want you can totally have it.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
ParticleReality said:
Particle's Reality. Ive been saving the name for the first game I ever develop but you're making them one now so if you want you can totally have it.

I kinda like Particle Reality :D

Top Bottom