• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Valkyrie -source- metroid influenced (previously 3 month mod)

8412267.jpg

From that one concept art of the valkeyre, it looks like she has a beam blade.
It would be cool if you added some kind of locked on melee attacks like in ZOE2 when you're upclose. A mix of ZOE2 and Metroid Prime would be really fun.

An upgrade/armor buying system would be great for the mp. Since you're playing as bounty hunters, you should be able to collect some money after defeating an opponent to buy upgrades.
Players should start with basics. They need to earn money to get the upgrades.

Basics: Beam cannon, double jump, morph ball, and beam blade.

upgrades: Charge shot, sniper zoom module, morph ball explosives, speedboost, grapple beam, and extra armor.

Pick up: Missles, Super Missle, Ice missles, Hacking program, zero shift (teleports players to where they look), hyper mode(shoots beam really fast), stealth and health.

This would mix things up instead of having a death match mp where everyone is the same the whole time. It would also give the player an incentive to play longer.

It would be great if you added these in the future updates.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
GeneralIroh said:
8412267.jpg

From that one concept art of the valkeyre, it looks like she has a beam blade.
It would be cool if you added some kind of locked on melee attacks like in ZOE2 when you're upclose. A mix of ZOE2 and Metroid Prime would be really fun.

You caught us. That *is* a melee energy blade that she can use up close. Works similar to bashing your gun in CoD, MoH... it's a seperate key, so you don't have to switch to a melee weapon. For balance it depletes part of your energy stores, so you can't run around like a retard spamming the key.

EDIT: Also, we have a new concept artist who came onboard today who is working on a male variant. :D

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Here's a WIP of our second suit design. Hopefully we'll be able to get it complete and ingame in time.

AltMaleDesign1.jpg

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Impressive stuff in such a small time. I'd suggest some kind of 'sticky push' mechanic so the ball can push itself further along if it goes up a ramp and is a short space from hitting a platform edge.

Darkpen

Banned
wow, this looks hot, though the morph ball design is curious.

I mean, Samus turns into a ball of energy D: Isn't that a more logical solution than the spinal cord somehow meeting together and forming a ball?

Ah whatever, this mod looks hot as hell.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
GamerSoul said:
Sweet character designs. The armor looks pretty solid, especially on that girl.

I wish I could draw like that.:D

Yeah, Jordan did the male design in about 2 hours today when he joined the team, it's going to go through a lot of revisions. I know that the tubing is one thing he wants to accentuate in both the character and the morph ball to set it apart from the Valkyrie suit. While it's still a powered mechanical suit, the tubes help to convey an organic look.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Here's our latest news post, copy and pasted, to give you an idea where we're at:

On the mapping front, Vic "Woe Kitten" has been hammering away on his spaceport map for release. Jordan "Captain N. Tenneal" has been providing concept work that rivals retail quality work. As you can see below, it is a match made in heaven.

Of course, Jordan doesn't just limit himself to environmental work. Here you can see his work for the view model that will be seen from the first person perspective, and the incredible work from Rashad "Chasarsis" in what is almost a 100% replication.

We're quickly approaching the three month deadline, and everything is looking good to release on time.

We're currently planning a staggered release. A smaller 'community' beta release with some help from our good friends at NeoGAF (that's you guys) which will last for two weeks to work out kinks, balancing issues, etc., followed by a full release two weeks later.

In regards to support after release, we do plan on working on a content patch immediately after release, depending on community reaction to our first outing.

We look forward to getting this mod out to you guys and letting you enjoy our hard work!

I'm getting a portal vibe from hangar 04.
It would be really nice if you guys somehow made it cel shaded
viewconcept.jpg

and try to preserve the concept art look more.

Jaagen

Great to see an update, I was worried for a bit that you might have put it on hold for a while(I checked in on your site regularly)

Two questions:

How many servers will there be in the beta, and will the beta be limited to gaffers signing up for it?

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Jaagen said:
Great to see an update, I was worried for a bit that you might have put it on hold for a while(I checked in on your site regularly)

Two questions:

How many servers will there be in the beta, and will the beta be limited to gaffers signing up for it?

Yeah, the beta is going to be only for GAF. We'll release a the client here. (If it spreads, it spreads)

As far as servers, we only plan on supporting 8 player deathmatch, so hosting on a cable connection *is* possible, but I hope to have some people interested in running dedicated servers, as well as approaching some of the server companies to see if they are interested.

Jaagen

I see. I would gladly have hosted, but my upspeed is bad.

Anyways, you will be able to choose between male or female when you start the game, right? And can you please update more often:D

OatmealMu

Make sure to include a feature where any players with the Steam ID "OatmealMu" are given invulnerability and a character model with a long, flowing scarf.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
monchi-kun said:
you guys sticking with the orange/grey environment? me likey as is, don't change a thing!

That's the default untextured environment colours in Source. Although it is pretty apt here.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Jaagen said:
I see. I would gladly have hosted, but my upspeed is bad.

Anyways, you will be able to choose between male or female when you start the game, right? And can you please update more often:D

Right now it's just the female model. We're actually rushing to get her full modeled, textured and animated. Male model will be included in the content patch after release. We're looking at one month from release for a content patch with two more weapons, another player model, more maps, etc.

Zanboo said:
Right now it's just the female model. We're actually rushing to get her full modeled, textured and animated. Male model will be included in the content patch after release. We're looking at one month from release for a content patch with two more weapons, another player model, more maps, etc.

Finally. it is good to see a mod group willing to iterate with their releases rather than trying to release one big finished mod. Which inevitably gets delayed/cancelled or burns the group out so that no patches or updates are released later to improve the game or fix the bugs.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
It also allows us to cater the experience more towards what the player wants. What we are releasing can really be considered the 'base', the core features that will serve as the platform upon which we can add everything else.

I'm sure some people will be disappointed in the release. (not a lot of variety of beams, no grappling hook, etc.) but give us another three months (and hopefully another three content patches) :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wow...that's freaking cool.
I'd love to host if I get in the beta. My upload speed is not that bad either(500KB up & 3MB down).
Keep me informed if you want me to host :)

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Kaako said:
Wow...that's freaking cool.
I'd love to host if I get in the beta. My upload speed is not that bad either(500KB up & 3MB down).
Keep me informed if you want me to host :)

It's not limited within GAF, all of NeoGAF with Orange Box will be able to try to mod and provide feedback. Smaller groups just don't net the kind of feedback that you need towards the end, especially over the internet, where testers are required to sign up for forums, etc. With the whole 800 or so NeoGAF members in the Steam community with the ability to test, we should be able to get some amazing feedback.

As for hosting, as it gets closer I'll let everyone know exactly what's going on, but we definitely appreciate the offer and I hope to have you running a server when we start beta.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
singularity said:
First screenshot and all I see is "CRATE 64x64". Eric Wolpaw would be proud.

Eric does work at Valve, he might've been responsible for those textures :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Zanboo said:
WIP Suit Model by Rashad Foux:

valkyrie012.jpg
i know it's WIP, but those rocket jets (?) on the calves need some work. need to integrate with the suit more smoothly, like the concept art.

project looks cool though. nice work.

1-D_FTW

Voted. Looking back at my quote, I see that I missed the 1st link. Only clicked on the second and third links.

Non-member votes only count in the event of a tie, but it's better than nothing.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Right now, deathmatch and team deathmatch only. We're going to do iterative releases periodically. We want to get the core mod out the door though.

Core Zero

This looks very cool. Can't wait to try it out.

For some reason the map concepts (especially the first one) remind me of Lost Planet, one of the later missions. Was your map designer playing that...?

loosus

Banned
YOU ARE FUCKING DUMB.

No offense, of course. It's actually a compliment, because YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS FOR FREE. I'm serious.

It's cool what you're doing, but I personally wouldn't do this for free. You're too talented to be giving this sorta stuff away for free. I realize that the feeling of people playing your mod is a reward in and of itself, but that doesn't get the bills paid.

This, of course, is assuming that you don't either a.) already do this for a living or b.) have plenty of cash on-hand already.

Top Bottom