• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2 : Brave New World unveiled [trailer]

EYEL1NER

If it releases in the West, I'll buy it. I had a lot of fun with the first one.
Strider and Kiryu being in is definitely cool.

Global release, yakuza characters, they are doing everything right with this game!

The first must have 3DS game for me in a long time.

alcheim

I really hope this sells well too. Although from the vibe I got from reading some of the posts from this thread, it seems that not as many people will be buying this because they think it'll be long and boring.

In any case, I'll be getting this one for sure. Maybe this time, Monolith will experiment with less popular characters. (Come on, show Shenmue, Time Crisis, and Onimusha some love.)

Also, isn't Bayonetta owned by Platinum Games? Sega only handled the PS3 version if I recall correctly.

Loona

The most important question though:

is Trigger gonna handle the opening animation again?

That would be neat - I might get more material to put together a new version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S_cdD0w_jo
Altough if they keep the reveal trailer's gender ratio, I might stop bothering to try and make the subtitles gender-neutral, which made them a bit awkward - PXZ1 was pretty in that regard...

Speaking of gender ratio, since Strider Hiryu and Hotsuma appear to be in a mixed Capcom/Sega team, I wonder how much that drops the odds of a Morrigan/Bayonetta team of maximum innuendo... I don't usually care about that sort of thing in these games, but I have to admit, there's entertaining dialogue potential there...

There might be at least 2 other mixed teams, I guess, for Sega/Namco and Namco/Capcom?...

Mostly unrelated, but I miss Sylphie from Forgotten Worlds embodying Capcom cameos and greed in NxC, and I wish she's be back.

Sesha

We need:

- Phoenix Wright
- Sissel
- Viewtiful Joe
- Amaterasu
- Gene
- Trish/Lady
- Regina
- Paula
- Giganotosaurus
- Ryu (BoF3)
- Nina (BoF2/3)
- Fou-Lu
- Mike Haggar
- Arthur
- Firebrand
- Cosmi
- Vanessa Schneider
- Maximo
- Tessa
- Princess Tiara
- Moriah
- Walter Stingray

- Bayonetta
- Rodin / Lumen Sage
- Jack Cayman
- Blacker Baron
- Sam Gideon
- Yu Narukami
- Persona 5 Protag
- Vincent
- Kuzunoha Raidou
- Nyarlathotep
- Agent G
- Orta
- Eileen
- Beat
- Gum

- Pac-Man
- KOS-MOS
- Nightmare/Siegfried
- Olcadan

pls

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
heh

v06E9jE.png

Jawmuncher

Still wish to see DmC Dante in this. Don't know how that would work naming wise, but it would have been a pretty neat thing to use in game. They could have argued over having the same name and coming from different universes more so than what's already going on.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I went an checked out the reveal trailer for the first PXZ. It was pretty much like this, except for having more of the ladies shown off. None of the other kind of fanservice. So I'm feeling alil better on the hopes of the new game not being "westernized" or w/e. The first games reveal trailer showed way more characters in general but I think it makes sense for the sequels to be alil more teasey in regard to who alls in.

Videoneon

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series is gdlk

Still wish to see DmC Dante in this. Don't know how that would work naming wise, but it would have been a pretty neat thing to use in game. They could have argued over having the same name and coming from different universes more so than what's already going on.

So...Dante / Dante team?

I went an checked out the reveal trailer for the first PXZ. It was pretty much like this, except for having more of the ladies shown off. None of the other kind of fanservice. So I'm feeling alil better on the hopes of the new game not being "westernized" or w/e. The first games reveal trailer showed way more characters in general but I think it makes sense for the sequels to be alil more teasey in regard to who alls in.

Well what would Westernized mean? That they chose more dudes cause Western audiences like badass male chars? There's nothing else they can change about the game that would make it seem less "animay" without radically changing what PXZ established.

I do think that on some level the devs in PXZ made a concerted effort to include more women. In PXZ, there was an all-women team for each publisher.

I think that some of the teams changes don't really make sense though. Akira and Pai I like more than Akira and Kage, and aren't Kite and Blackrose much closer? Also, Jin and Kazuya --why? don't they want to kill each other?

But at first glance I suspect it has less to do with westernization or gender (which isn't to say, this doesn't reflect the already existing prevalence of male chars) and an attempt at freshening the roster up. As is, they're reusing lots of assets.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

This is a pretty firmly Japanese oriented fanservice cross-over game. I don't think that character has a lot of traction given the demographic.

Loona

So...Dante / Dante team?

I figured by now the revealed screenshots established Vergil is Dante's teammate.

I wouldn't be too surprised if some newer character to the series meets Dante and claims to have expected someone with darker hair or something, or some comment about a supposed half-angel ancestry.

Well what would Westernized mean? That they chose more dudes cause Western audiences like badass male chars? There's nothing else they can change about the game that would make it seem less "animay" without radically changing what PXZ established.

The Resident Evil and Yakuza characters are "grounded", male and badass enough to meet standards/stereotypes of modern western games - maybe that's part of the reason to reveal them first, as PXZ's western success appears to have been a surprise, considering how unlikely its localization seemed at one point. So the game's being promoted based on what Japan thinks western players might like?

I still hope they manage to sneak in more classic and comparatively whimsical characters like Valkyrie and Arthur - NxC was great about covering and blending together many different character and setting tones, PXZ less so, but still compromised well... I hope that charm won't be lost.

I do think that on some level the devs in PXZ made a concerted effort to include more women. In PXZ, there was an all-women team for each publisher.

For Namco, technically KOS-MOS and T-elos are gynoids.... still, I'm curious to see the gender ratio on the following reveals.

I'm practically expecting Ryu to team up with a female character (in part to make up for some of the other team changes) - it got kinda boring to see him next to the identically-dressed Ken all the time.

I think that some of the teams changes don't really make sense though. Akira and Pai I like more than Akira and Kage, and aren't Kite and Blackrose much closer? Also, Jin and Kazuya --why? don't they want to kill each other?

In normal circumstances Dante and Dimitri, as well as KOS-MOS and T-elos, would have been at each other's throats - I'm looking forward to the explanation the game comes up with.

In NxC, Kazuya was always in devil form (actually, a devil perosnality was overriding his own there), and he spent some time trapped at by the Ghosts'n Goblins and Tower of Druaga villains - he might have a score to settle, and red arremers are classic infernal fodder in these games...

But at first glance I suspect it has less to do with westernization or gender (which isn't to say, this doesn't reflect the already existing prevalence of male chars) and an attempt at freshening the roster up. As is, they're reusing lots of assets.

The asset reuse now does make me wonder if former teammates of character who changed teams will now get to be assist units - or/and if solo units will work differently.

In PXZ's engine there was functionally no reason for regular units to be paired, other than to make attacks look cooler (and you assigned them equipment as if they were a single character too...), so older once-paired units would now have the same amount of commands to work with in the battle screens...

Ilvocare

I hope that the M to F ratio is somehow maintained for this sequel. It was a nice change of pace to have so many chicks kicking ass in so many ways.

Also this game is going to be super confusing now that there's returning characters from the prequel of the game that didn't make it stateside...

For God's sake, yet another reason for Namco to push localizing its crossovers more. The peeps who were only in NxC but not PXZ are gonna seem odd when characters react with "you're back!".

Also Frank West was a surprise hit for me in PXZ, I hope he comes back in some fashion. Why not anyone else from Dead Rising? That should be obvious.

Ilvocare

If Frank West and Chuck Greene are a combo team, then I will buy this day one.

Considering that my experience with DR is limited to 2 and I'm pushing for Chuck to NOT come in, that should say something. I'd be fine with him if his main form of attack is using his daughter Katie like a flail, though.

Astral Dog

Sega owns the Bayonetta IP.
At this point i think SEGA doesn`t care about Bayonetta anymore, like, at all.
This right here is an easy oportunity to have Bayonetta meet characters from Devil May Cry, and she is a character that would fit well on the game more than many others.

Bayonetta had a recent release too, and PXZ is developed by Nintendo, but it appears she wont be on it. if Bayonetta for some reason appears, it may be because Nintendo pushed her.

TheMoon

At this point i think SEGA doesn`t care about Bayonetta anymore, like, at all.
This right here is an easy oportunity to have Bayonetta meet characters from Devil May Cry, and she is a character that would fit well on the game more than many others.

Bayonetta had a recent release too, and PXZ is developed by Nintendo, but it appears she wont be on it. if Bayonetta for some reason appears, it may be because Nintendo pushed her.

PXZ is developed by MonolithSoft. While Nintendo owns them, calling it "developed by Nintendo" is really stretching it.

I wonder how they'll work the .hack characters. If it's Haseo from the first G.U. game then it would write itself (him going after Kite thinking he's Tri-Edge and being forced to team up) but if they pull him from his universe after the games' plot arc is over then it'll be a very different story (and character for that matter).

Also, I wonder if they'll put Phantasy Star characters in? PSO2 is crazy-popular so maybe Zeno and Echo, or Phantasy Star Nova characters since that one's an offline RPG.

Also also I want Eggman and Wily to be in the game together

Astral Dog

PXZ is developed by MonolithSoft. While Nintendo owns them, calling it "developed by Nintendo" is really stretching it.

hmm, but still could be considered a Nintendo game?
it was the reason many people were saying the game cant leave 3DS, after all.

Maybe they have less influence than i thought, wich means less chance of Bayonetta,

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wonder how they'll work the .hack characters. If it's Haseo from the first G.U. game then it would write itself (him going after Kite thinking he's Tri-Edge and being forced to team up) but if they pull him from his universe after the games' plot arc is over then it'll be a very different story (and character for that matter).

Also, I wonder if they'll put Phantasy Star characters in? PSO2 is crazy-popular so maybe Zeno and Echo, or Phantasy Star Nova characters since that one's an offline RPG.

The only worthwhile character from PSO2 that they should have added would be Lisa. Esp with all the fans she has lol.

She says some of the best shit in the actual game.

And has her own theme song
would have been hilarious to have the BGM version of that for the music that plays when the player uses her.

Music is from the character song cd they had.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hmm I'm not exactly sure myself! Just alil silly worrying earlier in the thread what with the worldwide annoucement an all.

More like Reiji and Xiaomu from Everything.
That kinda fits the OT title ya did for the first game!

It appears to be 3rd Form Haseo so either from mid-G.U. 2 to late-G.U. 3. Haseo mistaking Kite for Tri-Edge and being nervous around him is a running gag in the 4koma and Link so I'd fully expect that ta pop up. The "real" Kite & Haseo have never met though so this'll be a first! I wonder if they'll finish up the Skeith Zero subplot hanging from PXZ since SZ has a connection to Haseo?

Ilvocare

It appears to be 3rd Form Haseo so either from mid-G.U. 2 to late-G.U. 3. Haseo mistaking Kite for Tri-Edge and being nervous around him is a running gag in the 4koma and Link so I'd fully expect that ta pop up. The "real" Kite & Haseo have never met though so this'll be a first! I wonder if they'll finish up the Skeith Zero subplot hanging from PXZ since SZ has a connection to Haseo?

It'd be nice if there was some other boss to fight against other than Skeith in the .hack line. There's like, six or seven other phases they could have easily used. Alternatively, there's totally room for those ridiculous things Haseo fights in G.U. as well.

I may have gotten tired of Skeith after having to do a map where you fought against four copies of him.

Josh5890

I bought the Collector's Edition of the first game on launch day. I loved that game. I would buy the sequel if it comes stateside.

batfax

I'd personally love if it was Alis and Rico. The first main character of the original series and the closest thing to a central character of the first online series game.

What i would love is the hability to make 1 character either a support or playable within a team.

But more than anything is that they need to bring the vocal tracks in the west.those cuts in the first project X zone were REALLY obvious at times.

Top Bottom