• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project xCloud Development Update

Mista

Banned
xCloudBladeHERO-hero-1.jpg

Last fall, we pulled back the curtain on Project xCloud– our game-streaming technology. Our vision for Xbox is that you can play the games you want, with the people you want, on the devices you want. Project xCloud brings us closer to fully realizing that vision. Our teams around the globe have been hard at work, building out and testing the system. We recently rolled out an alpha version to Microsoft employees through our take home program and are using the feedback to make improvements, ensuring Project xCloud offers customers a great experience.

The driving purpose behind Project xCloud has been to enable playing great games anywhere, anytime. From the beginning, our aim has been seamless compatibility. We want to make it as easy as possible for developers to make their games available to all gamers with support for existing games, those currently in development, and future games.

The power of Project xCloud – the seamless compatibility for developers and the new places to play for gamers – comes from Azure datacenters spanning the globe, with hardware that shares a common set of components with our Xbox consoles. We’ve already deployed our custom Project xCloud blades to datacenters across 13 Azure regions with an initial emphasis on proximity to key game development centers in North America, Asia and Europe. Leading global development teams such as Capcom and Paradox Interactive now have the ability to easily test their games directly from Project xCloud without having to port to a new platform. This is just the beginning of our buildout, with our ultimate goal of supporting gamers in Azure regions around the world.

Today you can play three generations of amazing games on Xbox One. That means that Project xCloud has the technical capability to stream more than 3,500 games, without any changes or modifications required by a developer. In other words, developers will be able to dramatically scale their existing games across devices, with no additional development, no additional code base maintenance and no separate updates. When a developer updates the Xbox One version of their title, those updates will also apply to all versions available on Project xCloud without any additional work.

There are currently more than 1,900 games in development for Xbox One, all of which could run on Project xCloud. Developers creating those games continue working normally – building with the tools they have – while we do the work to make their games accessible to the broadest set of players possible.

We also recently added enhancements to our standard Xbox Developer Kit (XDK) to add support for streaming. One API we’re excited about is the new “IsStreaming” API which allows any game to know if it’s streaming from the cloud. Games can then cue features and functionality to enhance the streaming experience; for instance, adjusting font sizes for smaller displays or hosting multiplayer matches on a single server to reduce latency. We’ll continue to look for ways to empower developers to tailor their games for the many ways their customers play.

Project xCloud is an exciting journey that we are all on together. We can’t wait to invite the community to provide feedback, help us shape it and participate in development in a very open and transparent way. Stay tuned…

Thanx,
Kareem

Gamernyc78

Banned
So basically Microsoft has streaming on lockdown if 3 Generations of Xbox Games are already accessible, no questions asked. I'll most likely never subscribe, but it's seemingly the better of the streaming services.

You do know Psnow has PS2, 3, and 4 games available right? That's three generations. Please stop with the hyperbole. Nothing is a lock down especially when there already is a company streaming for years (with hundreds of games in the service) and two there will be competition from many different companies.

Do I think xcloud will be good? I think so if you enjoy their catalog of games. This competition is great for everyone as each company will try to outdo the other with lower prices and more games on the service.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if anyone can make streaming take off it's either Microsoft or Google but most likely Microsoft. Google is really just entering the gaming industry. Microsoft has almost 2 decades worth of experience (from Xbox...even longer with Windows i guess....)

I am a "sony fanboi" but i wish MS all the best next gen.

Last edited:
You do know Psnow has PS2, 3, and 4 games available right? That's three generations. Please stop with the hyperbole. Nothing is a lock down especially when there already is a company streaming for years (with hundreds of games in the service) and two there will be competition from many different companies.

Do I think xcloud will be good? I think so if you enjoy their catalog of games. This competition is great for everyone as each company will try to outdo the other with lower prices and more games on the service.
I wasn't comparing the two and I always forget about PSNow because that is literally how important streaming is to me.

Either way it's nice to know both of the market leaders will be well equipped to take on the competition with great libraries from each. I wonder if Sony's deal Microsoft has something to do with allowing third party games to stream onto their service? From the description, it seems as though it's pretty easy to put games developed for Xbox on it. So I think it would be a no brainer for Sony to expand their library to compete with even Microsoft even though Microsoft would get a chunk of that profit.

Alx

So, Microsoft can have a product in a year or two that doesn't make money just like all the rest of the cloud streaming companies (existing and bankrupt ones)? Awesauce. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Most of the companies doing streaming at the moment have to pay a third party to host their service. While providing such servers has become the primary source of income for Microsoft. There's a reason Sony struck a deal with them for the future of their own streaming services. Just like there's a reason Microsoft has been proactive on everything cloud-related, especially since Nadella took control.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Still not convinced. They aren't saying anything about the one thing that matters. Latency.

I'm sure those 3500 and 1900 games respectively will be available for download as well. I like the idea, but no presentation has shown it in action to a point where I feel it will even come close to the latency I see at home.

Here's hoping that E3 sheds some light on this.

DanielsM

Banned
Most of the companies doing streaming at the moment have to pay a third party to host their service. While providing such servers has become the primary source of income for Microsoft. There's a reason Sony struck a deal with them for the future of their own streaming services. Just like there's a reason Microsoft has been proactive on everything cloud-related, especially since Nadella took control.

Actually Sony hasn't struck any "agreements" at all, they actually clarified that last week during their investor presentation... they have an understanding to possibly work together, furthermore, they are trying to collabrate on game streaming, Sony is the only one that actually has game streaming up and running technically in some capacity for 12+ years, even PS Now is 5 years old, PS Remote Play since 2006. Not sure what the point is, the only thing that game streaming has really produced is a bunch of ash where there use to be cash. I would assume Microsoft would be interested in Sony's game streaming tech as Microsoft has been working on theirs for nearly a decade without success.

I agree with the last comment, Microsoft is a cloud enterprise service company which is mostly based on enterprise, most of the consumer stuff has been abandoned/cancelled/left to die.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Wait let me get this straight. So it has the capability to do 3500 games, but they don't actually have them ready atm, correct?

Alx

Wait let me get this straight. So it has the capability to do 3500 games, but they don't actually have them ready atm, correct?

Their service isn't active at the moment, so they have actually 0 game on it. Of course it's about capability.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So Sony is saying they made an agreement with Microsoft just for the heck of it, with no content or deals.

Just two companies signing a blank page with two signatures at the bottom.

Ya, m'kay.

Alx

We’re getting ready to roll out Console Streaming (Preview)! Console Streaming is our new Xbox One platform feature that lets you stream installed Xbox One games (including Xbox Game Pass titles) to your phone or tablet directly from the Xbox One you already own. Those with consoles in Alpha and Alpha Skip Ahead Ring in the US and UK can now test their home network, controller and console settings to get ready for the preview.

Boo, UK and US only. :(

kassj0peja

Neo Member
Did they specify if console streaming requires a router or internet or is it possible to stream it also at home via direct wifi?

nikolino840

Did they specify if console streaming requires a router or internet or is it possible to stream it also at home via direct wifi?
Understanding the Xbox Console Streaming (Preview) readiness test results

When you select Test console streaming, the Xbox Console Streaming (Preview) readiness test checks your network connection, Xbox Wireless Controller connection, and console settings to see if you’re able to stream Xbox One games, including Game Pass titles, from your home console to your mobile device.
The Xbox Console Streaming (Preview) readiness test will check your console setup to verify that all requirements are met to enable Console Streaming on your Xbox One; any criteria that is not met will be noted on the results screen. If the test results screen says Your setup needs work, it means the test has identified one or more issues that need to be resolved in order for Console Streaming to work properly.

Note If the Console Streaming (Preview) readiness test detects any problems, try the troubleshooting steps below and then run Test console streaming again to see if the issue was corrected.

Test results and troubleshooting

Connection
NAT type
  • A green check mark means the Open NAT criteria is met.
  • A yellow exclamation point means the Moderate NAT meets the criteria. For an optimal experience, you’ll want an Open NAT type.
  • A red X means you have a Strict NAT. You will be unable to complete setup and registration until your NAT type is Moderate or (preferably) Open. For help improving your NAT type, see the Xbox One Multiplayer Game Solution.
Upstream bandwidth
The quality of your Console Streaming experience depends on your network’s upload speed. An upload speed of at least 4.75 Mbps is required, but 9 Mbps or faster is optimal for the best Console Streaming experience.
  • A green check mark means your speed is faster than 9 Mbps and is optimal for Console Streaming.
  • A yellow exclamation point means your upload speed is at least 4.75 Mbps but less than 9 Mbps. You will be able Console Stream but the experience may not be optimal.
  • A red X means you are blocked from Console Streaming due to insufficient upload speed. For help optimizing your network speed, see the Xbox One Slow Performance Solution (note that you may need to contact your Internet Service Provider to increase your upload speed).
Network latency
Your Console Streaming experience can be affected by network latency of your home network (the time it takes for your network to send and receive information). We require a network latency of less than 125 ms for Console Streaming to work, but a latency of less than 60 ms is optimal for the best Console Streaming experience.
  • A green check mark means your network latency is 60 ms or less, and is optimal for Console Streaming.
  • A yellow exclamation point means your network latency is between 60 and 125 ms. You will be able Console Stream, but the experience may not be optimal.
  • A red X means you are blocked from Console Streaming due a network latency higher than 125 ms. For help minimizing your network latency, see the Xbox One Slow Performance Solution (note that you may need to contact your Internet Service Provider to reduce your network latency).
Network type
  • A green check mark means you have a wired network connection. Because Console Streaming is dependent on the stability of your home network, a wired connection will always be the most stable and resilient (and thus the more preferred) connection.
  • A yellow exclamation point means you have a wireless network connection. This does not prevent you from Console Streaming, but note that wireless connections are subject to interference and other issues which may cause hiccups while you stream. You may want to consider using a wired connection for Console Streaming. Or, if you want to improve your wireless signal strength and minimize wireless interference for the best Console Streaming experience, see the Xbox One Slow Performance Solution.

Shmunter

So, Microsoft can have a product in a year or two that doesn't make money just like all the rest of the cloud streaming companies (existing and bankrupt ones)? Awesauce. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You’re not wrong. I totally expected google to be the breakout, it was not to be. However is that based on their stupid pricing model or the tech, or both?

Pricing can be fixed, the tech not so much, at least not over the span of next gen. Sony has been in this quietly for years, must be a reason they never promote this side of their gaming business.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned

:

Best answer:
Sony is very clear; there is no remote play compatibility on PlayStation Now. You are unable to stream any PlayStation Now content to your phone via Remote Play.

I'm not sure why you are defensively bringing up a service that does not offer comparable features in a thread about the features of XCloud. You are the first to mention PSNow in this thread. PSNow does not allow to stream to mobile devices on the go and there is no indication that it provides the zero overhead to developers that is described in the article.
this is how console wars scuffles start on this forum. a positive news comes out about a device, someone praises it and the other defense force comes out offended and out for revenge. I appeal to your maturity sir as well as to the mods vigilance

DanielsM

Banned
You’re not wrong. I totally expected google to be the breakout, it was not to be. However is that based on their stupid pricing model or the tech, or both?

Pricing can be fixed, the tech not so much, at least not over the span of next gen. Sony has been in this quietly for years, must be a reason they never promote this side of their gaming business.

Both, generally speaking.

Pricing can't be fixed as digital downloads offers the devs/pubs and most definitely the platform holder the biggest return. Streaming is really just renting someone's else equipment which they are paying for, paying for the maintenance, paying for the utilities, paying for the physical space, paying for the management and personnel to manage of the devices, paying royalties, etc.

Basically, with streaming from a provider... the cost eventually have to be higher than the cost to have the same equipment in your own home, and with that... a worse service. Although there can be savings if equipment is virtualized and used 24x7, those savings can never really be passed down because of all the other expenses that are incurred.... which one cost more.... you feed your dog, walking him and giving him a bath... or paying someone else to do it?

Streaming generally uses more than typical gaming in that
- it uses much more internet usage
- it requires more equipment because you have to have equipment on both ends
- which requires more electricity usage
- more space is consumed more equipment
- more maintenance as there is more equipment
- additional setup costs and decommission costs when the equipment is obsolete
- etc.

DanielsM

Banned
:

Best answer:
Sony is very clear; there is no remote play compatibility on PlayStation Now. You are unable to stream any PlayStation Now content to your phone via Remote Play.

I'm not sure why you are defensively bringing up a service that does not offer comparable features in a thread about the features of XCloud. You are the first to mention PSNow in this thread. PSNow does not allow to stream to mobile devices on the go and there is no indication that it provides the zero overhead to developers that is described in the article.
this is how console wars scuffles start on this forum. a positive news comes out about a device, someone praises it and the other defense force comes out offended and out for revenge. I appeal to your maturity sir as well as to the mods vigilance

That's because there is no demand, they actually had many more devices they supported the first few years. No demand i.e. no customers. Just use Remote Play.

He can still compare them, I mean one service has Sony games the other doesn't... so that mean you can't compare them? That's what a compare them is all about.

For the record, game streaming is a loser business.... and it doesn't matter which company is doing it. I'm not sure why there is so many arguments about loser businesses.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
That's because there is no demand, they actually had many more devices they supported the first few years. No demand i.e. no customers. Just use Remote Play.

He can still compare them, I mean one service has Sony games the other doesn't... so that mean you can't compare them? That's what a compare them is all about.

For the record, game streaming is a loser business.... and it doesn't matter which company is doing it. I'm not sure why there is so many arguments about loser businesses.

Of course you can compare whatever you want. Apples and peaches, Corvettes and Volkswagens, OLEDs and CRTs. It's just illogical.
As for your business expertise on game streaming, just because Sony lost money or didn't have any demand doesn't speak about the nature of a business as a whole. Otherwise nobody would have made a console after the dreamcast that was unanimously a great product. Time will tell.

DanielsM

Banned
Of course you can compare whatever you want. Apples and peaches, Corvettes and Volkswagens, OLEDs and CRTs. It's just illogical.

Its illogical to compare to identical things as if they are identical you're not comparing at all... the whole purpose of comparing is to compare not only the similarities but also the difference. Duh.

As for your business expertise on game streaming, just because Sony lost money or didn't have any demand doesn't speak about the nature of a business as a whole.

Well, I don't know if Sony "lost" money there just is no money in game streaming i.e. there is no demand or any demand for the price. Game streaming is nothing new, its actually very mature at this point and all of them have struggled. Microsoft is late to a party that nobody went to i.e. no demand.

I would love to sell grams of dirt for the price of grams of gold but the reality there is no demand for that in the real world. Time has already told.... selling dirt for the price of gold isn't really going to work for the sane people.

Basically these services have to be given away for virtually free, well, that's not really a business..... been like that for 10+ years... not sure how much time is needed... 10 million years? (not really a question)

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
If xcloud comes to the switch that would be huge. If I was Microsoft I would be prioritizing and pushing a deal with Nintendo.

The other big ticket to success is probably the popularity of gamepass. It's an enormous value proposition compared to PSNow.

DanielsM

Banned
If xcloud comes to the switch that would be huge. If I was Microsoft I would be prioritizing and pushing a deal with Nintendo.

The other big ticket to success is probably the popularity of gamepass. It's an enormous value proposition compared to PSNow.

Absolutely Microsoft has to give it away.... I mean for free its a great value... for a business not so much. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Game rental/stream might be a small revenue stream one day but as far as huge money makers - good luck. Sony has a hard time getting people to sign up for $59.99-79.99 a year for 900+ games, there really isn't any big money in this for anyone.... its a loser business. EA Access which to me is a kind of rental/early access service only has 3m users... basically only $100m in revenue if that.. than huge expenses to pay off the platform holders... literally probably negative cash flow.

We have more silly articles, thread, tweets, etc about these services than paying customers :messenger_tears_of_joy:, small revenue streams... sure... big money makers that replace traditional gaming or sales... not any time in the foreseeable future.

Entertainment media is generally front loaded.. most money is made in the first 2-6 months... after that its not really worth that much, although there might be stuff like Seinfeld or Friends that beats that trend... most entertainment media is made on the front end.... very little on the back end.

Games are even worse than tv/movies... a family of four can easily consumer 1000s of hours of Tv/movies a year but most will be lucky to finish a game or two a year.... games are completely front loaded.

As far as streaming... not sure there is any incentive for large publishers to use MS has a middleman for PC games... really unless its tied to a closed environment.. there is no reason to have a middleman for the large publishers.

Basically... what these services are... cash burning machines.... what most of the silly people out here say are saying is.... Sony should offer more value than they are already giving, thereby losing even more money on a product than they are now... to get more customers... so they can lose more money.

We lose on each unit, but we'll make up for it on volume stupidity.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Absolutely Microsoft has to give it away.... I mean for free its a great value... for a business not so much. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Game rental/stream might be a small revenue stream one day but as far as huge money makers - good luck. Sony has a hard time getting people to sign up for $59.99-79.99 a year for 900+ games, there really isn't any big money in this for anyone.... its a loser business. EA Access which to me is a kind of rental/early access service only has 3m users... basically only $100m in revenue if that.. than huge expenses to pay off the platform holders... literally probably negative cash flow.

We have more silly articles, thread, tweets, etc about these services than paying customers :messenger_tears_of_joy:, small revenue streams... sure... big money makers that replace traditional gaming or sales... not any time in the foreseeable future.

Entertainment media is generally front loaded.. most money is made in the first 2-6 months... after that its not really worth that much, although there might be stuff like Seinfeld or Friends that beats that trend... most entertainment media is made on the front end.... very little on the back end.

Games are even worse than tv/movies... a family of four can easily consumer 1000s of hours of Tv/movies a year but most will be lucky to finish a game or two a year.... games are completely front loaded.

As far as streaming... not sure there is any incentive for large publishers to use MS has a middleman for PC games... really unless its tied to a closed environment.. there is no reason to have a middleman for the large publishers.

Basically... what these services are... cash burning machines.... what most of the silly people out here say are saying is.... Sony should offer more value than they are already giving, thereby losing even more money on a product than they are now... to get more customers... so they can lose more money.

We lose on each unit, but we'll make up for it on volume stupidity.
I have to disagree with your assessment of the game streaming business. I don't think it has been executed in a compelling way yet. Also you seem to be lumping all sort of services in the same bag. what does EA access have to do with game streaming?
If you want to take useful examples from the media services world, look at Netflix. That's the model that Xcloud is trying to emulate. Streaming is not a product. It's the constant flux of original content that makes Netflix a compelling product. So yes, time has already told. And we will see if Ms can replicate that in the gaming business. PSNow could not and did not even try.

DanielsM

Banned
I have to disagree with your assessment of the game streaming business. I don't think it has been executed in a compelling way yet. Also you seem to be lumping all sort of services in the same bag. what does EA access have to do with game streaming?

You can disagree all you want but all this game streaming has been a loser business for 10+ years, the only way devs/pubs abandon digital sales first is if they can extract more money via some other means. For the customer is very simple, game streaming generally is going to cost more for worse service... its not complicated.

What you are proposing is really, "we lose money on every unit sold but we'll make up for it in volume" mentality.

My plan to sell dirt for the price of gold per gram isn't a loser business either... I just haven't executed it correctly. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its called not having business model.

If you want to take useful examples from the media services world, look at Netflix. That's the model that Xcloud is trying to emulate. Streaming is not a product. It's the constant flux of original content that makes Netflix a compelling product. So yes, time has already told. And we will see if Ms can replicate that in the gaming business. PSNow could not and did not even try.

Sony did not try because Netflix's core business - streaming movies/tv is a loser business, just went in the red this last quarter another $2b. Their (Netflix) real business is selling stock, it will work as long as money is cheap or the fed stops QE. No offense but you sound like the delusional Stadia poster at this point.... game streaming will generally be more expensive (depending on how its measured) and much worse performance, let alone we have all been doing it from our own equipment for a very long time.

Game streaming is very mature, 10+ years, Microsoft is just late to a lame ass party nobody really wants to be at.... and for which the attendees have no desire to pay.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
You can disagree all you want but all this game streaming has been a loser business for 10+ years, the only way devs/pubs abandon digital sales first is if they can extract more money via some other means. For the customer is very simple, game streaming generally is going to cost more for worse service... its not complicated.

What you are proposing is really, "we lose money on every unit sold but we'll make up for it in volume" mentality.

My plan to sell dirt for the price of gold per gram isn't a loser business either... I just haven't executed it correctly. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its called not having business model.

Sony did not try because Netflix's core business - streaming movies/tv is a loser business, just went in the red this last quarter another $2b. Their (Netflix) real business is selling stock, it will work as long as money is cheap or the fed stops QE. No offense but you sound like the delusional Stadia poster at this point.... game streaming will generally be more expensive (depending on how its measured) and much worse performance, let alone we have all been doing it from our own equipment for a very long time.

I haven't mentioned Stadia a single time mind you. Only Xcloud. Not my fault is your best argument involves changing the subject.
If Netflix has a loser business model I'm pretty sure a lot of companies would love to lose money. As a matter of fact, Ms that is not a money losing company is openly and publicly copying the losing business model so may be losing money isn't that unattractive after all (/sarcasm).

Xcloud has alreeady outclassed PSnow from a business model and content point of view. All the early reviews describe it as the best and probably only chance that game streaming has to ever go mainstream. I'm not here to proclaim that it will. I'm just following a report of the platform's features and had to see PSNow brought up by you in a sort of Pavlovian self preservation reflex. You would think some people's heartbeat is attached to the welfare of those plastic box makers. But I digress.

Bryank75

Banned
I'd rather buy an Xbox, streaming sucks. If I want mobile gaming, I have a Switch.

A Switch will always beat streaming.

DanielsM

Banned
I haven't mentioned Stadia a single time mind you. Only Xcloud. Not my fault is your best argument involves changing the subject.

I don't have an argument.... game streaming is a loser business... you have an argument, not me.

If Netflix has a loser business model I'm pretty sure a lot of companies would love to lose money.
Sure, if they have business model that sells stock to the greater fool... unfortunately those are hard to come by... its a loser core business.

As a matter of fact, Ms that is not a money losing company is openly and publicly copying the losing business model so may be losing money isn't that unattractive after all (/sarcasm).
I never said MS loses money, actually they have great positive cash flow, not from gaming (probably). Yeah, they copy a ton of things... and usually shut the down once they fail to execute in the consumer market... ie digital phones, digital watches, stupid motion game controls, casual gaming, groove music service, etc.

In this case they aren't even copying a good business - they copied a loser business. If they can't make money copy real businesses, how in the hell are they going to make money copying a loser business?

Xcloud has alreeady outclassed PSnow from a business model and content point of view. All the early reviews describe it as the best and probably only chance that game streaming has to ever go mainstream. I'm not here to proclaim that it will. I'm just following a report of the platform's features and had to see PSNow brought up by you in a sort of Pavlovian self preservation reflex. You would think some people's heartbeat is attached to the welfare of those plastic box makers. But I digress.

That sounds like you work for Microsoft. Game streaming sucks dude and it doesn't matter who is doing it. It doesn't matter who is selling dirt, I doubt many people are going to pay gold price for dirt.... its a loser business.

I've used PS Now, I actually beta tested back in the day.... its mehh best as its game streaming (why would anyone pay for game streaming?).... if one really is set on it... you can do it on your own equipment for free.... welcome to the past.

"we landed on the moon" - Lloyd (Dumb and Dumber)

Last edited:

DESTROYA

It’s funny that Xcloud has more games for free to play than Stadia has if you pay.
Tried Xcloud for the first time other day and lag isn’t to bad but it still needs a lot of work, I have pretty fast internet and it was still getting artifacting in game and cut scenes would produce this weird scan line when they first started .
Decent service for free not sure if it’s worth paying for yet.

Dory16

Banned
I don't have an argument.... game streaming is a loser business... you have an argument, not me.

Sure, if they have business model that sells stock to the greater fool... unfortunately those are hard to come by... its a loser core business.

I never said MS loses money, actually they have great positive cash flow, not from gaming (probably). Yeah, they copy a ton of things... and usually shut the down once they fail to execute in the consumer market... ie digital phones, digital watches, stupid motion game controls, casual gaming, groove music service, etc.

In this case they aren't even copying a good business - they copied a loser business. If they can't make money copy real businesses, how in the hell are they going to make money copying a loser business?

That sounds like you work for Microsoft. Game streaming sucks dude and it doesn't matter who is doing it. It doesn't matter who is selling dirt, I doubt many people are going to pay gold price for dirt.... its a loser business.

I've used PS Now, I actually beta tested back in the day.... its mehh best as its game streaming (why would anyone pay for game streaming?).... if one really is set on it... you can do it on your own equipment for free.... welcome to the past.

"we landed on the moon" - Lloyd (Dumb and Dumber)

And that sounds like you can't dismiss Xcloud so you are dismissing game streaming. I have to repeat myself but as altruist as I am, I won't keep doing it. I suspect that you can read. You keep talking about game streaming as if it was a product. "Streaming is not a product" I said. At least ot an attractive one. "Streaming plus continuous appealing and original content at a good price" is.

It certainly is in the case of Netlfix. and the notion that Netflix has never made any money out of its core business but magically sees its share price go up so constantly that their profits come solely from selling their shares, is lunacy. You must not know the rudiments of the equity markets. Company earnings, actual, future or estimated are the number one driver of share prices and investor interest. This is one of the most regulated financial markets. You don't summon a "stock selling business" deprived of a successful business model. Come back to earth or educate yourself. Get off the conspiracy websites. But I digress again.

DanielsM

Banned
And that sounds like you can't dismiss Xcloud so you are dismissing game streaming. I have to repeat myself but as altruist as I am, I won't keep doing it. I suspect that you can read. You keep talking about game streaming as if it was a product. "Streaming is not a product" I said. At least ot an attractive one. "Streaming plus continuous appealing and original content at a good price" is.

It certainly is in the case of Netlfix. and the notion that Netflix has never made any money out of its core business but magically sees its share price go up so constantly that their profits come solely from selling their shares, is lunacy. You must not know the rudiments of the equity markets. Company earnings, actual, future or estimated are the number one driver of share prices and investor interest. This is one of the most regulated financial markets. You don't summon a "stock selling business" deprived of a successful business model. Come back to earth or educate yourself. Get off the conspiracy websites. But I digress again.

Netflix sells stock... the stock goes up but cash flow continues to be burned... thank the federal reserve QE and the rest of their nonsense by keeping businesses alive which should be dead. Maybe a better description of Netflix is.... they are a bonfire company.... the fuel is cash.

Dotcom v2.0 (new and improved)

Their business is funded from cheap money i.e. debt, the higher the stock price the more leverage and the willingness of the junk debt market to fund the endless losses.

As far as dismissing xCloud I kind of just dismiss anything Microsoft does in the consumer space, as their history is horrible, however, game streaming is kind of a double whammy... a loser business on top of their mismanagement in the consumer space.

Just my take - good luck to you up there btw.... tell Major Nelson Hi for me.

Last edited:
It’s funny that Xcloud has more games for free to play than Stadia has if you pay.
Tried Xcloud for the first time other day and lag isn’t to bad but it still needs a lot of work, I have pretty fast internet and it was still getting artifacting in game and cut scenes would produce this weird scan line when they first started .
Decent service for free not sure if it’s worth paying for yet.

I have a solid connection, but I had the exact same issues on a 2.4Ghz connection. Once I moved to 5Ghz on my phone everything bumped up in quality. No more scan lines or artifacting, input lag is noticeable but very consistent and easy to adjust to.

I'm excited to see how they handle the business model for XCloud. I think it'd make sense to include it as part of Game pass Ultimate. Maybe have a separate sub option for folks who just want to stream games they bought digitally.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Let's say you are right and for some reason consumer all of sudden desire game stream, I have no idea why but we can pretend.

The only reason large publishers put their games on Xbox is because of Xbox as a Hardware i.e. closed system, not Xbox as a Service Platform i.e. MS Store. At the end of the day, we're talking about PC, not consoles. The large publishers/developer by and large avoid the MS Store (as do consumers) for obvious reasons. The large publishers are by and large rolling out or already have rolled out their own rental/early access programs and eventually streaming (just in case there is a market for streaming).

At this point, Microsoft is basically moving into a more traditional publisher role (as they use to be in the 90s), imo. The issue is Phil has promised Satya that large publishers would want to use all these services for their product.... on PC that just isn't going to happen, generally speaking.

The large publishers don't need MS as a middleman, if MS wants to roll out services for their own software, sure I guess.... but either way I don't really see any demand for game streaming.... I do see plenty of articles and nonsense threads about game streaming being the future, when in actuality its been around a very long time now.

Just my take.

Even if game stream actually had users... exactly why would large publishers/devs use MS as a middleman when no middleman is needed... in which they already have the services or are building them out?

(all of my comments are void of any real discussion as to how many devs/pubs get paid upfront for single player games, there are so many issues with these business models... its hard to know where to start)

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I have a solid connection, but I had the exact same issues on a 2.4Ghz connection. Once I moved to 5Ghz on my phone everything bumped up in quality. No more scan lines or artifacting, input lag is noticeable but very consistent and easy to adjust to.

I'm excited to see how they handle the business model for XCloud. I think it'd make sense to include it as part of Game pass Ultimate. Maybe have a separate sub option for folks who just want to stream games they bought digitally.
Yeah moving to 5Ghz did help and it’s not doing it as much as it used too but every half hour or so it still rears it’s ugly head for a few seconds, it’s not a problem most times but would suck if it happens if your at a critical part of a game.

Yeah moving to 5Ghz did help and it’s not doing it as much as it used too but every half hour or so it still rears it’s ugly head for a few seconds, it’s not a problem most times but would suck if it happens if your at a critical part of a game.

Good stuff! I've had some weird issues during extended sessions too. Also about every 30 minutes I'll sometimes lose controller connectivity and/or have it lose a server connection for maybe like 5 seconds or so. It's fine after that but definitely annoying.

Top Bottom